It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New state law requires LGBT history in textbooks

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Why not teach any history????

All history is subject to criticism....this and any other subject included.

Let's all just be factory workers...oh...wait...we have no factory jobs left due to free trade agreements.

S/F for no reason.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
WTF?? I thought we were supposed to consider being gay a non-issue. Gay people are no different from anyone else. Pointing out that someone is gay is bigoted and insensitive.

NOW they want to point out the gay people in history? Tell the kids that their contribution was significant because they were gay? C'mon, people, make up your minds. This flip-flopping is giving me a headache.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Yes by all means.... We have people who dont know geography, how their government works, how their rights work... Lets teach them about this and ignore the rest.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Look at Canada, they barely ever talk about the gay issue
There is no social engineering in Canada and they are fine
There's no massive gay beatings on the streets or anything like that
So why does the U.S. need it if right above the U.S. they don't need it?

I am completely against social engineering and that's exactly what this piece of BS is.

Indeed why is this social engineering occurring, especially as it does create a scenario of hate crimes!.
Just comes across as a way in which to distract attention from important issues that otherwise would have united people to act upon more important issues like the slow degradation of the Constitution, the increasing gap between the rich, the poor and the shrinking size of the middle class. There are far more important issues to focus on that are being completely overlooked. I believe the majority of people can mention at least 5 of these off the top of their heads as there are hundreds... if not trillions !.
edit on 16-7-2011 by LexiconV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
reply to post by chuckk

AIDS is not a gay disease.

Just because the original case came by way of a gay man - - is not relevant.

It could just as easily come from a straight man or woman.

Where does it state the original person was gay?
Just curious cause I can't find any info about the sexuality of the 1st person who died from it or the 2nd or 3rd.

1960s HIV-2, a viral variant found in West Africa, is thought to have transferred to people from sooty mangabey monkeys in Guinea-Bissau during this period.

Source

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I don't really see the problem here. Why should LGBT history be left out of class teachings when educators are able to teach the history of anything and everything else?

This is a great thing in my opinion. Educate kids on the Gay and Lesbian life and hopefully teach them bullying and homophobia is wrong and ill-minded.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I'm a 26 year old gay male and i couldn't disagree more with this law, i believe that a persons contributions have nothing to do with sexual orientation, we're all human, we all have something special about us, whether we're gay, straight, bisexual, or whatever. Its like " hey kids, this guy did this for the world, btw he was also gay" I mean really, sexual orientation has no bearing on their contributions. It is a completely different thing if they want to teach about gay rights and what not, in an attempt to prevent bigotry by educating OLDER students, and show them we are all people, unique in every way, but to specifically pigeon hole gay contributors to history, just like they pigeon hole black contributors in history, why can't they just teach everything without specifics about sexual orientation, or race....if they did something great for history, that's great their great people, but come on now California!!! Really?????? I believe that if students want to know specific things about a historical persons PERSONAL life then it is their responsibility to look it up on their own time. Public Education is not to teach children whether a person is gay or straight, white or black, it is simply there to teach children what they need to make it in the real world. A persons sexual orientation or race or what have you is not a necessity!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

This is as bad as forcing the teaching of Creationism, the Founding Father's were Christian, etc. Social engineering is social engineering ... Right, Left or otherwise.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

i say that this is mental child molestation.its more than just indoctrination.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I don't really see the problem here. Why should LGBT history be left out of class teachings when educators are able to teach the history of anything and everything else?

This is a great thing in my opinion. Educate kids on the Gay and Lesbian life and hopefully teach them bullying and homophobia is wrong and ill-minded.

I think its a great thing too. I remember when there were "grumbles" about updating history books to include women and blacks.

Many people just do not like change. Some to the point of saying things like "there are no women of significance in history".

Many gays say they knew they were "different" as early as age 5. They do need their "heroes/historians" - - just like everyone else.

There's only one problem - - while women of different gender and blacks skin color is easy to explain. Sexual attraction to same gender makes it a bit more complicated.

So while gays who have contributed significantly to history should definitely be added to all history books - - - - I don't think it should be taught they were gay until 5th grade. However - there should be a way to answer questions if a child asks.

My granddaughter just graduated 5th grade this year. They had their sex ed classes this year. I don't know if learning about gays was part of it - - - but she knows what gay means - - - and just accepts it as part of life.

edit on 16-7-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
California has some CRAZY stuff going on there in that state. What the HECK IS IN THE WATER THERE????

WHATS in the WATER there??? Thats a NUTTY state there.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
California has some CRAZY stuff going on there in that state. What the HECK IS IN THE WATER THERE????

WHATS in the WATER there??? Thats a NUTTY state there.

I was born and raised here in the Los Angeles beach area.

I will be forever thankful my parents chose to leave Ohio and move to California.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

That's not bad. I mean it is a part of our history.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pplrnuts

It may seem nutty to you, but when a 10 year old asks his teacher, 'what was Leonardo Da Vinci's wife like? Did he really love the Mona Lisa Lady? My mommy says it was his wife...' what is the teacher supposed to say to the little boy?

'Sorry, Johnny, but we're not allowed to talk about those kinds of perverts in public school - so let's just leave it at that...'

Or does the teacher say, 'Well, Johnny, you DID know, didn't you, that Leonardo was homosexual and was accused twice and locked up for sodomy in April of 1476 ('sogdogmia') with one of his male models Jacopo Saltarelli, who also was a male prostitute...'

Or what does one say to a junior high school kid who has just fallen in love with Oscar Wilde's plays and asks about HIS wife and private life (yes, we know Oscar actually did have a front woman and a couple of sons by her too, but he still had male lovers his whole lilfe)?

Or what about Franz Schubert's private life and his affairs with older men? Or Tschaikovsky's manic infatuation with Russian soldiers? Or Richard I, or Edward II's or Julius Caesar's homosexual partners?

Or Michelangelo's boy-toys to whom he wrote erotic love poetry? (the printer changed the pronouns to HER !)

Do we just plain LIE to the kids?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LexiconV
Where does it state the original person was gay?

Just curious cause I can't find any info about the sexuality of the 1st person who died from it or the 2nd or 3rd.

The AIDS virus in America was traced back to a gay man who flew here from Europe (I think it was Europe).

Which explains why it started or spread with gays in America. I don't know who the first person who died was.

However - - it could have been carried here by anyone. It is a virus. It affects everyone.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Is that supposed to be equality? By giving preferential treatment to one group or another based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever else, you are not helping the problem you are inciting it more and causing people to focus on that instead of the person.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amphion
Is that supposed to be equality? By giving preferential treatment to one group or another based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever else, you are not helping the problem you are inciting it more and causing people to focus on that instead of the person.

Lets just exclude all white men.

They don't need to be recognized for their contributions.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Look at Canada, they barely ever talk about the gay issue
There is no social engineering in Canada and they are fine
There's no massive gay beatings on the streets or anything like that
So why does the U.S. need it if right above the U.S. they don't need it?

I am completely against social engineering and that's exactly what this piece of BS is.

This sets a precendence, and soon other states might follow.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Actually, it is a topic of discussion often in Canada, believe it or not. That is why there are no "massive gay beatings" because we encourage open and honest discussion. Even then, it is not perfect, but because we don't ignore the "issue" and instead focus our attention to finding solutions we see it less and less.

Canada, happily marrying same sex couples since 2001 without fuss.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
If homosexuality is thought in the context of social science or anthropology then I don't see the problem.

It's a part of history. Are we supposed to just pretend it didn't happen? Indeed, that might spare the sensibilities of ignorant and angry bigots but is that enough of a reason to omit it?

Just as we look back on the enslavement of Africans in America as a backward inhumanity, so too will subsequent generations look back at many of the attitudes towards homosexuals.

So many conspiracy theorists view homosexuals as misguided, corrupted and anomalous and furthermore believe homosexuality to be a ploy at the hands of the NWO or a similar globalist cabal to weaken us. Tenuous and remedial arguments are provided such as the negative ramifications for soldiers or effeminate men. It didn't stop "Alexander The Great", Julius Caesar or J. Edgar Hoover.

I have long regarded conspiracy theorists concerned with global and social issues to be benevolent and aware humanitarians. Now that I see that even the best of us are wrapped and their fleshed squeezed in the barbed wires of ignorance and contempt towards a subgroup of their population based on their preference of gender, I have lost hope.

If we can't even surmount the homosexuality "issue" among ourselves, then what hope do we have against tyrannical forces that have been conspiring against us for at the very least, hundreds of years.

If we lose, it'll only be because we deserved to lose.

If we're so remedial that we can't perceive that we're treating homosexuals the same way women and African Americans were but a few generations ago, then our loss to the elite and ensuing oppression will be just.

What happened when the African slaves were liberated?
The world enjoyed a greater sense of freedom and acquired social enlightenment.

What happened when women were liberated?
The world enjoyed a greater sense of freedom and acquired social enlightenment.

Homosexuality will pretty much follow suit. Either jump on the train destined to tomorrow or be left behind at Bigotsville. You'll be as missed as much as the men who saw fit to burn women at the stake.

edit on 16/7/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
**Sigh**

Really America? Really? Since when has a persons sexual preference EVER had a matter in historical events?

Not sure, maybe their persecution and murders during WW2, or the experiments that happened to select gay men and women after and during WW2, or the illegality of being gay, the beatings and murdering of gay men and women, or the fact that homosexuality was something people didn't bat an eyelid to during Roman, Greek, Egyptian etc era.

The fact is, people have been killed and imprisoned for being anything but straight after the emergence of strict religions like christianity.

The history of LGBT is similar to being a different skin colour or different ability (disabled) or different gender.

Persecution, being made criminals, not having the same rights as other people.

The OP mentions "social engineering", but that's exactly the reason why he hates this being brought up in schools.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join