It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthony gets 4 years, but will be freed July 13

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Anthony gets 4 years, but will be freed July 13

content.usatoday.com

Update at 9:35 a.m. ET: The judge has sentenced Anthony to four years in jail, minus time served. He ruled that the four counts of lying were distinct, and should be punished at one year person count, to be served consecutively. However, he ruled that she should get the sentence reduced basedf on time served. The hearing will try to determine how much crdit she should be allowed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7/7/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Title

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Now, I understand there is a lot of emotion over this case...
Drop that for a second and consider what just happened.

The judge decided that this one criminal act (4 lies in one interview) should be judged as seperate incidences because it had 4 different outcomes (arguably).

How does this effect you (if you live in florida)? Simple

Imagine being in a fight..now, you could get hit for an assult charge for it...the fight could actually have a whole ton of different misdemeanors. each punch could get a count, but typically this is treated as just one act...a fight..and so everything is sort of stacked up together, giving you a year max.

Now, this precedence could be used that each punch, if it creates a different effect (tooth chipped requiring dental, black eye creating a trip to the doc, etc)...a person could get endless years (potentially life in jail) for a fight..

Or anything else...its just really bad precedence and is now in the books as to how to toss people in prison for ages for minimal crimes.

But the emotions are high...I just watched the justice system become draconian because people wanted vengence and a judge felt the heat

I do hope people consider the greater effect of this...if I was a paranoid type, I would venture to say this was the plan all along...increase infinately the punishment of the most lightweight criminals and create a prison society.

content.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
While the child dying was a horrible thing,

I am sick of hearing about it. The kid died awhile ago, now all the sudden I get texts on my cell pics on my cell about it and facebook is overloaded with comments.

Kids are killed all the time during war, more will die this year but none will get the attention this has. People act righteous but in the end they are hypocritical as they will ignore every other child that dies or is killed.

I'm probably sounding callous, but enough is enough. Can't wait this for this trial to end so it quits dominating the news.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Whats bugging me is that (in my neck of the woods with the hysterical types) they are saying this is a good thing, however, they are unable to think logically for a moment about this.

These are the same types that would gladly strip the right for everyone to drive in the nation if someone killed a child with a car and it became sensational

Thanks Nancy, you $#@^$#$^ $%^....may you $#@@#^ a ^$@$% with a wooden fork you ^&%#^$% #$^$%&!!!!!! Congrats on creating such a superstar that you created an environment of tossing our rights out the window to make someone serve a couple weeks extra in jail....effin yay!

Tune in to HLN tonight to be instructed what other part of the justice system we should dismantle "for the children". grrrrr

ok, annoyed about this, not because I give a toss about this case, but because it has created a ripple that will potentially create a tidal wave down the road for tons of people
Don't jay-walk folks

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
My opinion is that she is guilty as sin for the murder. I also believe that the prosecution failed to prove it's case and there was reasonable doubt so unfortunately justice was served.

Being held accountable for every lie in one interview is absurd and goes against presidents set in multiple other cases. I believe this was done to punish outside of the crime accused and punish for the crimes she was found innocent of.

The separate charges in cases all across the U.S. are out of control and serve to ensure we remain the country with the largest inmate population in the world because the sentence rarely fits the crime because the charges were "trumped" up with multiple charges stemming from a single act.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I predict Casey Anthony will be out by August 2011...and after she is released....she will make money....from all of this.

CNN just announced she is getting out July 13, 2011....next Wednesday.
edit on 7-7-2011 by caladonea because: add more info

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DizzyDude
While the child dying was a horrible thing,

I am sick of hearing about it. The kid died awhile ago, now all the sudden I get texts on my cell pics on my cell about it and facebook is overloaded with comments.

Kids are killed all the time during war, more will die this year but none will get the attention this has. People act righteous but in the end they are hypocritical as they will ignore every other child that dies or is killed.

I'm probably sounding callous, but enough is enough. Can't wait this for this trial to end so it quits dominating the news.

there is an average of 2 children being murdered every 3 days around the world. Not accidents, not abortion "murders", but actual murders...aka, shooting, stabbing, smothering, etc..

The sensationalist -nonsense- of this case was to get a couple necro news casters to increase viewership by hysterical sad people, and the result is a trashing of a logical system for sentencing.

You think the "fans" give a rats arse about children? nope...not unless their tv tells them to care about...but actual care? nope..only pitchfork mob mentality verses actual concern.
grrrr..

I want one of the "fans" of the nancy/jane monster to defend how its a good thing that justice got smashed..tell me how the ripple effects creating tidal waves is fantastic for everyone.
Vengence...love it.
I want out!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Thank goodness. She is a killer!

SeraphNB

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
With you on this one Saturn.

All too often people fail to see the slippery slopes created by trying to legislate morality, or solve every possible issue with a new law.

I just read about the actual juror (not the alternate) being interviewed. She said they were all sick to their stomachs and crying about the not guilty verdict, but said no crime was proven, so no punishment could be given.

Much as I think this woman is guilty as sin, I find myself having to agree with the juror. Better someone gets away with one every once in awhile than to convict innocent people.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
This is all that remains.

Fear.

Patriotism isn't working anymore because people are waking up to the fact that thier 'leaders' don't care; they have thier own agendas that have nothing to do with the good of the people.

Religion isn't working anymore because people are realizing that while the concept may have merit the organizations themselves are corrupt and in many cases cause more harm then good.

Money is losing its appeal because people have been reminded how easily thier life savings can be wipped out with no one held accountable.

The only control structure that still has any power is jail. We may argue for hours on this site as to the true quality/nature of what most call thier lives, but it is still a life. By making it easier for people to be jailed for longer periods of time this last attempt at retaining power is strengthened.

To me this is just one more sign.

The precedent here is that once in the system, you WILL be found guilty; why waste the time on a trial if the person might get off?

ETA...

What concerns me the most is your statement about the Judge 'feeling the heat' from the public outcry. Given how easy it is to manipulate the masses into demanding something they would otherwise fight against, this is a disturbing development.

edit on 7-7-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Sadly, most people are morons and don't care... Until it does affect them on a personal level, like if someone from their circle is charged like that. Then they will see how stupid that thinking is. But for now, people want their revenge, and think it is a good thing....

I wish someone would knock all the TV satelites out of the air and do our world a favor. Come on aliens do it!
edit on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:46:28 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
How about let's do what the OP asked and stick to the question.

What does this precedent mean to you? Not just Floridians but all of the USA.

You lie - you go to jail for a year on each count?

My question - Is it a precedent? I just don't have the time to go back through case histories and find out. But if it is, in my opinion, it's a horrific one.

peace
edit on 7-7-2011 by silo13 because: bold

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I hate it when we agree.

Not really.

But I do agree with you here. It was ONE interview. But I understood the judge's ruling, even though I disagree with it.

Most likely Casey will be out in August of this year, as someone said. Because of gain time (good behavior).

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
I predict Casey Anthony will be out by August 2011...and after she is released....she will make money....from all of this.
I predict that karma will kick her butt.

And we all know, karma is a bitch!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

there is an average of 2 children being murdered every 3 days around the world. Not accidents, not abortion "murders", but actual murders...aka, shooting, stabbing, smothering, etc..

Right.

How many know about the innocent children killed in Iraq or Afghanistan? They don't. This case reminds me much of the Bonet Ramsey case. The same people who were hooked on that case are probably the same ones hooked on this one.

And to stick to the OP, the judge made the right ruling. Our system is not perfect and it can never be.
edit on 7-7-2011 by DizzyDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I don't think precedence was set. The prosecution brought up some case law that supported separate charges for one crime repeated several times in a session. I forget what it was, but there was precedent, as I understood it.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
My question - Is it a precedent? I just don't have the time to go back through case histories and find out. But if it is, in my opinion, it's a horrific one.

peace
edit on 7-7-2011 by silo13 because: bold

The precedence was that a single criminal act (multiple crimes/charges during a single time) is to be treated concurrently.
What this judge did was ignore that and create a new precedence, meaning any crime creating different outcomes per charge = different act...even if it is all in the same time.
So, ya..someone threatening someone "I am gonna kick your arse", then punching someone right after would have 2 seperate incidences running consecutively according to this precidence.

misdemeanors are easier to get than candy in american society...and you can pile them up quickly without even knowing your breaking the law half the time. Its typically why its treated as just the proverbial hand slapping.

This needs to be overturned...absolutely critical, not for Casey or anything like that..but for the greater effect of what has happened...the lawyers need to get on this if they wish to salvage the legal system at all.
I suspect if this is sent to an apellet court, it will be quickly dismissed (no fanfare there, they go strictly with law verses feelings).

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If someone wants to get away with murder,all they have to do is just move to Florida. I couldn't believe the verdict after all this time. I was ready to hear Casey get sentenced to death. She killed her own child, yes the proof was very weak, but that evil, crazy, woman killed her child and everyone knows it. Justice was not served.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I don't think precedence was set. The prosecution brought up some case law that supported separate charges for one crime repeated several times in a session. I forget what it was, but there was precedent, as I understood it.

They brought up that the lies were reconfirmed later on that day...however, she was not charged with later on confirming the initial statement, she was charged with the lies as they were proceeding.

The judge made it clear he based his decision not on the unstanding of the law, but on how each charge effected a different outcome in regards to investigation

Incidently charge 5 and I believe 6 were pretty much the same. universal studios, which didn't warrant a different investigation, so even there his vendetta ruling doesn't work...he brushed over that though

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Fact of the matter is that ANYONE should see how easy it is to thwart a Police Investigation or taint evidence making it un-useable.

I predict even more child deaths and mommies getting away with it.

The Follow-up on this story will be intense. This woman won't have an easy life... no matter how much money she may get or how many other childlren she may have.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join