It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Anti-Radiation Pills Handed Out in Pennsylvania

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   
To ensure that citizens living near nuclear power plants are safe, authorities in Pennsylvania are passing out anti-radiation pills. Potassium Iodide Pills are free to those living within ten miles of nuclear power stations.

www.wnep.com
Pennsylvania is again preparing for the worst and making sure people living near nuclear power plants are ready in case of an attack. The state will pass out anti-radiation pills later this week. They will be available to those living near the power plants state wide, including the one in Luzerne County.

You can pick up pills at the following locations:

Newport Township Municipal Building
2 Center Street
Wanamie, PA 18364
Wednesday, August 11, noon - 7:00 p.m.

Conyngham Township Municipal Building
10 Pond Hill Road
Mocanaqua, PA 18655
Thursday, August 12, noon - 7:00 p.m.

Butler Township Municipal Building
415 West Butler Drive
Drums, PA 18222
Friday, August 13, noon - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, August 14, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Columbia County State Health Center
1123 C Old Berwick Road
Bloomsburg, PA 17815
Wednesday, August 11 - Friday, August 13, 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, August 14, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

After August 14, potassium iodide pills will be available during regular business hours through the County Municipal Health Departments and State Health Centers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The last time anti-radiation pills were handed out was 2 years ago after the 9/11 attacks on the U.S. Potassium Iodide pills provide temporary protection of the thyroid gland.

If you already have anti-radiation pills, there is no need to replace them. According to the report, the pills are good until 2007 when there is a plan to redistribute them again.

[edit on 8-11-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Seems to be only by 3 mile Island, We in SE PA have not received anything new and I'm 3 mile away from Limerick.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
We are in Wilmington DE. Close to SE PA. We bought our own
Potassim pills. www.areyouprepared.com... and we put
together our own 3 day emergency backpacks back in 1998.
Everyone should have a 3 day backpack ... earthquakes, hurricanes,
tornados, terrorist attack ... you never know.

Where is Limerick? We can see cooling towers from our house,
but I think they are from Peach Bottom.

[edit on 8/11/2004 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I look at it this way, at least they are doing something and taking some sort of actions to protect us. We need to stick together especially now!!! We also need to be aware of our surroundings and if anything looks funny or doesnt feel right we need to do what we have to to keep 9-11 from happening agin!!! before we were blinded to everything now we see things with our rose colored glasses taken off, and if passing out pills is needed to protect in case something happens then i say go for it. If u live by a nuclear power plant you should have something to protect yourself and your family,,,chances are it will happen again and god only knows what they will do next time !!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I've got mine... www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Very cool SO, I live not far from Sheran Harris in NC I can actually see the plant. I should probably get some of those.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
ok now seriously....

What is in these pills to make the radiation not hurt ur body?

I mean..and how does it do it?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Potassium pills flood the body with potassium,
flooding the thyroids, blocking the radiation from
spreading through them. They don't stop all
cancers ... but it significanty cuts your risks.

The people around chernobyl had them.
They were able to take them immediately and
didn't have to wait days upon days to get them
in lines once the government had figured out
that something had happened.

(this is what most of our government wants to do ...
not hand them out and just wait until something
happens, then set up centers to hand them out.
Centers people have to travel to ... STUPID!!)

I'm VERY happy to hear the pills are being handed out
there. They should be handed out all over the country.
In high risk places near nuke plants as well as be available
to residents of NYC and DC.

The pills and the write ups - www.areyouprepared.com...

Excerpt -
Each tablet contains 130 mg. of potassium iodide that floods the thyroid, blocking absorption of radioactive iodine into the thyroid. Using this radiation sickness agent will prevent 99% of the thyroid damage caused by a nuclear reactor accident or fallout from a nuclear weapon. There is no substitute for potassium iodide and when the need arises, it may be impossible to obtain at any price. All U.S. supplies vanished after the Chernobyl melt-down for several months.

[edit on 8/11/2004 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Great I live in Luzerne county, but I don't think I am that close to that plant. Anyone know how far 3 Mile Island is from Wilkes-Barre?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Illinois Nuclear Highlights

Of the 31 States with nuclear capacity, Illinois ranks first.
On the Energy Information Administration's (EIA) list of 100 largest power plants in the United States, Byron ranks 23rd in capacity, Braidwood ranks 32nd, and LaSalle ranks 34th.
There are 30 countries with commercial nuclear capacity. To appreciate the size of the State's nuclear industry, consider this: if Illinois suddenly became an independent country, its nuclear capacity would rank 8th in the World..
Although the 1980's witnessed the cancellation of a number of applications for nuclear reactors, it is largely a myth that widespread shutdowns of existing nuclear plants reflected a decline in the U.S. nuclear industry. The greatest impact on U.S. capacity was the shutdown of the two Zion reactors in Illinois, each rated at 1,040 net MWe in 1998. Between 1973 and 2002, however, annual nuclear capacity dropped 1,100 net MWe in 1978, by 600 net MWe in 1990, by 1,100 net MWe in 1997, and by a record 2,646 net MWe in 1998. With the exception of those four years, annual nuclear capacity rose for three decades

www.eia.doe.gov...

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Great I live in Luzerne county, but I don't think I am that close to that plant. Anyone know how far 3 Mile Island is from Wilkes-Barre?

3 mile is out by Harrisburg and Limerick is about 25 miles west of Philly.

We just were told today that Pills would be given out in our area.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Geez, we live about 35 miles from Palo Verde nuclear power plant which is the biggest nuclear complex in the nation. We haven't been given any anti-radiation pills and the reactor has been shut down several times, recently, for various reasons. Maybe 35 miles is considered "too far away" for such actions, but it would ease MY mind to have access to such pills...just in case.
joey

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
What??? I haven't gotten any Anti radiation pills and i live close to one of these Power Plant. I hope they haven't skipped my are cuz then ill be really pissed.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
It would seem to me that anyone near a nuclear power plant should be given them these days regardless of the terror threat. Some of these plants are getting pretty old.

As for Indian Point in NY, this one for some inexplicable reason lies on a major fault line. What were they thinking?

There is an independant research study that the initial results came out about a year or two ago called "Project Tooth Fairy". It asks for parents to send in the baby teeth of their kids as they lose them to test for levels of a radioactive substance. The kids in Putnam County NY had the highest levels. (Indian Point is right on the border of Westchester and Putnam Counties). My theory is if Indian Point is the culprit the only reason Westchester didn't come in higher was becasue the population and land mass is so much higher that the numbers were somehat watered down for them as a whole. It would have been interesting to see the numbers drilled down further to see if the towns around the plant were higher than those further away. Just makes one wonder.

LL1

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
How far must one be for the pills to be of any use:

riverkeeper.org...

This is Indian Point in NY, but same goes for any nuclear plant.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Can't get there LL1 - good post/point.

Looking at the map I will tell you this. I happen to know one of the major designated north evacuation routes (from Indian Point) looks great on a map but it is a "goat trail" barely 2 lanes wide, winding up and down a mountain. If you are in the zone, you will not get out. Almost makes you wonder why they even bother to have the evacuation sirens. It's a travesty.

LL1

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Can't get there LL1 - good post/point.

Looking at the map I will tell you this. I happen to know one of the major designated north evacuation routes (from Indian Point) looks great on a map but it is a "goat trail" barely 2 lanes wide, winding up and down a mountain. If you are in the zone, you will not get out. Almost makes you wonder why they even bother to have the evacuation sirens. It's a travesty.

LOL "goat trail"!
And can you only imagine in the panic traveling on the "goat trail"?
9/9A/Bear Mtn roads will = 2 lane traps!

To be honest with you, I would/will not take the "designated routes".
The pills given out, about 2 yrs ago? To the "10 mile zone", well that's an
instant kill zone! The pills are a false sense of security.

BTW, Entergy owns the plant in CT as well.
We'd have to make it to exit 1 in New Jersey to be safe. (depending on which way the wind is blowing)
And remember these guys are smart, real smart (masters degrees/phd's)
I bet they won't hit one plant, more than likely three, Indian Point, CT, and Three Mile Island and it will all over lap 50 miles each.....
Not good......

[edit on 13-8-2004 by LL1]

join