It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappear From Society? Off Grid?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have so often wondered how people do this. How does one become invisible to TPTB and yet be able to sustain themselves? I know there are a lot of men who advocate being the lone wolf, but how many women are actually into this? Where do you start? how do you earn a living? There has been a lot of people moving west (Montana, Wyoming, etc) and going off-grid. How are they doing it? I for one am keenly interested in this, because when SHTF I would love nothing more than to be away from it all and prepared. Of course I am a lone wolf anyway, but do have a family. I know I can take being isolated for long periods of time. I also know there are a lot of families that have made the move, so how do they do it? How do you really go off-grid, out west and yet still provide for your family and stay informed?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I don't think you can.

Maybe in the old days, sure but now they have predator drones.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Chect out Earthships. My fiance and I are looking into getting into one of the classes and learning how to make one for ourselves. It looks like a good place to start anyway. Not to mention it's out in New Mexico and according to the Hopi's that's a good place to be

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nathanscottecho

Wow! Those look really cool! I like that it is self sufficient. I wonder why on the east coast you can't build anything
like this? Are you planning to melt away from TPTB? If so, what are you going to do for supplies and such?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
As long as you have to pay taxes you cant truly go off-grid.

Taxes and regulations will be your biggest obstacles.

Eventually you will have to decide whether or not you are willing to break/ignore the regulations and laws.

Simple wanting to be left alone gets you shot by Federal agents in the USA.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

True, however if property taxes were low enough you could pay 10 years in advance. After a few years, not much notice about you being there.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
yeah I was gonna say
getting off the grid is close to impossible in the USA
I think you may have two options @ it
1- live in a Huge national forest like Sasquatch
or
2- live like a homeless person in a mega city

best bet for off grid living [IMO]
move to 3rd world country that's not to dicey

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
How does one become invisible to TPTB

Stupid question, but what is TPTB?

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I guess I should clarify...what I am referring to are the people who move out west, live off-grid (power, etc) and sustain themselves without having to rely on walmart, etc. I have read about people who have left everything in the city, and found a simpler life. They build their own self sufficient housing, and have managed to stay out of the lime light of TPTB. If SHTF I would prefer to be somewhere that I could be out of the spotlight yet still be able to survive.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

The Powers That Be

line 2

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

TPTB = the powers that be. The control agents and paid goons for the Bilderburg group. Which is comprised of about 12 families.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nathanscottecho
Chect out Earthships. My fiance and I are looking into getting into one of the classes and learning how to make one for ourselves. It looks like a good place to start anyway. Not to mention it's out in New Mexico and according to the Hopi's that's a good place to be

Years ago we were considering moving. I put in a lot of time checking out the pros and cons of the different States in the USA. After considering many topics I concluded that New Mexico was the most ideal place to move to for several reasons.

The warmth is conducive to solar energy and growing a garden. TTBOMK there are no nuclear facilities or huge military installations there. Land is affordable in many areas. I do not recall the job market; this was perhaps 10 years ago I did this research.

But in a recent post on ATS someone stated that most of New Mexico was government owned and used for military practice and testing. I was previously unaware of this and I think its worth looking into.

Just wanted to share my two cents with you. Best of luck and congrats on your upcoming nuptials.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Already doing it. Live in the deep wilderness down in the Florida Swamps.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
oh, okay, thank you.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ReverendPritchett

See, this is what I don't like. I didn't ask if you were, I asked how you do/did it. Don't get me wrong, I am impressed you are doing it. I would just like to know how people do it? how did you plan, research, etc? most of the googled sites I go to show pics and some text, but oh if you want to REALLY know how they did it, "send me $19.95 TODAY only! and I will show you how!"

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReverendPritchett

Really? Over on this thread, you say you live in Nebraska. Multiple personalities, or just a liar?
ATS Post

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
As I was reading back through this thread, I got to thinking about the commerce side of this. This led me to a thought about how people could do this, collectively. If you think about our early days in this country, there wasn't much money. Most everything was done on trade. My wife sews and you raise chickens. I need meat, so i trade clothing for the meat. Why is it we don't do this anymore? Why don't all of the off-grid people or even the green movement people, start a co-op of sorts to trade goods/services? this makes them interdependent on each other and cuts corporate out of the loop. Who says you need money, other than to pay for property taxes? We could take a lesson from the Amish. They have been doing this for a LONG time!

We need a movement to allow for trade between people. Our own trade group if you will.

Thoughts?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

True, however if property taxes were low enough you could pay 10 years in advance. After a few years, not much notice about you being there.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's not the case in Wyoming or Montana. No land here is un-owned. It's not the wild wild west like you see on television.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by wildoracle13

I know what Wyoming is like, been there, done that. Wasn't saying it was unowned, simply stating that if you payed your property taxes far enough in advance there would not be a big eye on you.

<<   2 >>

join