It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe's highest electric current found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Universe's highest electric current found

www.newscientist. com

A COSMIC jet 2 billion light years away is carrying the highest electric current ever seen: 10E18 amps, equivalent to a trillion bolts of lightning.

Philipp Kronberg of the University of Toronto in Canada and colleagues measured the alignment of radio waves around a galaxy called 3C303, which has a giant jet of matter shooting from its core. They saw a sudden change in the waves' alignment coinciding with the jet. "This is an unambiguous signature of a current," says Kronberg.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 22-6-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I thought those of you researching the theory of an "Electric Universe" might enjoy this discovery.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3544dbe06669.jpg[/atsimg]

A trillion lightning strikes! That's amazing power, and it makes me think we have a long way to go to understand the extremes of our reality.

By the way the 10^18 Amps = one exaAmp... (whew!)

www.newscientist. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 22-6-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
That's a lot of juice. Chuck Norris must have sneezed.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Lets harvest that thing for about a year.. and we should have more then enough power

2n

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Does that charge just dissipate into the universe? Or is this a clue to harness energy from space itself. Perhaps future space travel will use this universal static to jump light years. Maybe by using a huge magnet force fueled by the universe herself will allow you to jump through space.
Just a thought, you never know what’s next.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Paul47

The energy will remain energy, it might change forms (light, heat, etc.) and I guess it could transfer to matter too. But it ain't going away.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
If energy never disappears, only changes then I think the possibility of using it as it floats through space is a definite possibility. Just think of our own energy needs, things seem to use less and less of it. (Things not us we just want more things) Who knows, maybe opening a wormhole will need a lot less energy than we think and maybe it’s just floating around waiting to be used.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I wonder what it is exactly , that is emitting these extremely powerful electric currents. Is it even something at all?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
1.21 GIGAWATTSSSSS!!!!! That is a insane amount of energy. Wonder if it could somehow be harnessed?
edit on 22-6-2011 by DrakeDarc because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join