It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Arrest Woman For Videotaping Them From Her Front Yard: (Wait till you see this tape!)

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Uhm yeah.. and since local officers are not empowered to enforce Federal law, your point is lacking.

I am going with the law you yourself quoted so if that law does not apply here, then your reason for bringing it up to begin with is more than lacking. I never said anything about enforcing federal law. I honestly am not sure if you cannot read or just like to make things up to argue about. Should I quote the law again so it is posted a 3rd time and explain myself with smaller words?

The fact you are assuming that government means federal government, is just scary.

The fact that you think I ever wrote any such thing is pretty scary. I pointed out that the federal government is also government. That is all I said.
You need to read far more thoroughly.

Go back and read the law in its entirety instead of cherrypicking words in an attempt to change the meaning while trying to invoke the federal government, and get back to me.

I have read it twice now and it actually perfectly states exactly what I said. Distracting the mailman is covered under that law as much as anything that woman was doing. It says it right in there.

Actually no I dont get your point, since its incorrect and lacking. Did this cop just decide to get out of his car, find a lady with a cell phone camera recording, and then decide she is going to jail? NOPE. So again, if you are going to attempt to make a comparison or a point, at least be in the same galaxy.

You are quite right. That imaginary scenario did not happen. That is the first of your imaginary scenarios you admit did not happen though. See how sad that is? You did not understand the law you posted, nor have you seemed to understand anything most people are telling you. Do not take it out on me.

You guys are so paranoid that you percieve any and all police as evil. You perceive every encounter we have as us illegally harrassing a person. You guys completely ignore and and all evidence that may suppor thte officers actions, specifically the laws.

You have no clue what you are talking about and we have been over this. From my first post in this thread

The thing is, when I read ATS threads about stuff like this, I have always felt so lucky that where I live now and in the 19th ward in Rochester, the cops have always been really cool. There is a ton of corruption in another nearby town but most of the damage done there is to each other. This sort of thing never happened here. The police and the people always had pretty decent relations

Like I said before, tell me what a cop hater I am. Please do go on about it because you appear to just hit reply and then babble for several paragraphs.

The thought that we are just going to randomly stop a person and arrest them completely confirms what ive been saying about ignorance of the law and how the system works.

I doubt many people believe that you are part of that "we" at this point anyway so you probably should stop worrying about how people feel about the job you pretend to have. Again, tell me in yet another post how I am a paranoid cop hater when I have clearly stated the exact opposite. We can all just attack each other if that works better.

Please quit being paranoid, please quit being a follower, and do some research. Its all im asking.

Please read at least one of my posts and then respond with something that makes at least a modicum of sense. Or stop responding. That is all I am asking.

Ah yes, once again with personal attacks when you cant refute facts that dont suppoort your position.

No, you just have done nothing but attack me. Stop crying because I give it back and grow a pair. Or you could try not attacking people and see how they respond to you then.

Just so I know for future reference, when you make disparaging remarks and insults towards people, I am assuming you prefer they just keep quiet insted of responding back to you?

Tell me what an ignorant cop hater I am again.

Please, let me know so I dont hurt your feelings.

No hurt feelings. I just give it back. You are the one crying about it.

I have provided facts, where as you have not.
I have provided sources, where as you have not.

That is complete bull. I provided links with my facts and there are not sources for my opinion. All you have done is make up stories about what might have happened before the tape started rolling and repeat a phrase you do not seem to understand "lawful order." Really not much in the way of facts that I can see.

Please, show me where I am wrong, and please cite the sources that support your claims / accusations against me.

Oh now I am accusing you of things?
Get real.

Please, prove me wrong.

That she was wrongfully arrested? Prove me wrong.

/end sarcasm

Grow up please. This is a straightforward issue, not some grand conspiracy based on a subversion of civil rights.

You cannot start a post with "umm yeah" and tell me to grow up. You cannot post nasty little digs and then cry when I do not respond politely. Yet you do these things. What is your point? I expressed my opinions because this was my neighborhood and these are the cops I still deal with more than any other department in the county. You do not like how I feel about it and that is just kind of really too bad for you. You have not proven anything to me. If you still feel like a champ anyway, give yourself a cookie.
edit on 23-6-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nola213
If this "cop" doesn't "feel safe" because a woman is standing on her lawn video-taping a traffic stop , even though he has two other officers as back up. When Does he feel safe? This guy needs some anti-anxiety meds.

How is he gonna react/feel when there's a REAL altercation? I guess he'll feel so "Unsafe" that he'll pull his firearm and shoot the person dead. He is a danger to the public, imo.

It's a shame that a couple bad apples can spoil the bunch.

This guy is a poor excuse for a Law Enforcement Officer; and if he doesn't feel safe in this situation..., I think he should be put on desk duty. Then again he might not "feel safe" with all those people coming and going through the precinct and walking behind him

Pens and paper are more physically dangerous than video cameras. let's face it, this guy couldn't even hand out slurpies at a 7-11 without be subject to more danger than he was subjected to while "protecting the people".

It's amazing how Police officers laugh off when I tell them not to park in the Fire Route at my work, though.... no danger there.. they just laugh about it, how dare me... a civilian... inform them about something... how dare I. They obviously know safety practices.... that's why they tackle 90 lb women with video cameras, duh!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Didn't know there was 4 people in the car, that situation could of gotten ugly very quickly, all from this lady.

Now there were 4 people in the car? When did that happen? Even the police only claimed 3. Apparently no one saw the other two. But you raised it to 4? Do you need to defend this cop that badly that you have to make up stuff too now?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This has to be one of the best threads ever-when it comes to Cops vs. Citizens.

The replys on here are absoultely fabulous. Seriously.

I can't wait for the outcome of this case.

Be sure to check back after Monday-for the results....

At this point, from what I am seeing how much this story has taken off here on ATS and the Web newsites... sounds like the whole country will be wanting to know the outcome of this.

Believe it or not, it is an important issue on so many levels-as demostrated so nicely by our ATS members. I find what makes it so compelling to read these posts is the thought processes of people-both LEO and everyday citizens (which I have been/am both).

At this point, I feel the officer will be hard pressed to make this case in court and it will be killed by the District Attorney before Monday's case opening. I believe the the decision will ultimately be made by societal concerns to keeping the public happy rather than on the law itself. The R.P.D would like this to go away-now, I am sure.
My opinion, of course.

Be sure to write down what you think the outcome will be when you post (darn it-I wish I would have thought of putting that down when I started the thread).

So anon72 says:

Not Guilty will be the Verdict
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/946293b3cdcc.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 6/23/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
sO the woman gets arrested while the dude with his finger on the lense just takes over?

stop saying "its my right, its my right", nobody fckn cares, because clearly the police aint there to enforce those upon whoever would threaten you in terms of those points, so you got to do it for yourself. Stop arguing with the man, either get in the house or if you want to play the game then you better realise what your getting into, not cry at the end. Either comply and fight this a legal way, or fight the cop, but if your going the dumbass way then you better cause some permenant damage on the cop, but then youd be digging your own grave in more then one way, first they will f*ck you up unless you have your own group of people or organisation backing you up, but you probably dont, and it will serve as a excuse of why they should have even more power. The difference between cops and maffia is that cops are suppose to be the arms of the people not those who would abuse the people, its a society thing.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Originally posted by Manhater
Didn't know there was 4 people in the car, that situation could of gotten ugly very quickly, all from this lady.

Now there were 4 people in the car? When did that happen? Even the police only claimed 3. Apparently no one saw the other two. But you raised it to 4? Do you need to defend this cop that badly that you have to make up stuff too now?

How does an additional person escalate this anyways?

Does it make them a gang?

...So, this isn't an arrest... it's a gang war, I guess.

StatePoliceDrugTraffickingCo vs. 4FakeThugzInCarYo

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I do not see how people can argue how this is justified (the cop's actions of arrest or his lawful order/command).

She was standing on her own property. Filming. The cop, once again, inserts himself into the situation that he could have left alone. As some have stated, he has some issues.

Now, someone quoted this:

§ 195.05 Obstructing governmental administration in the second degree. A person is guilty of obstructing governmental administration when he intentionally obstructs, impairs or perverts the administration of law or other governmental function or prevents or attempts to prevent a public servant from performing an official function, by means of intimidation, physical force or interference, or by means of any independently unlawful act, or by means of interfering, whether or not physical force is involved, with radio, telephone, television or other telecommunications systems owned or operated by the state, or a county, city, town, village, fire district or emergency medical service or by means of releasing a dangerous animal under circumstances evincing the actor's intent that the animal obstruct governmental administration. Obstructing governmental administration is a class A misdemeanor.

from here

NONE of the above happened, except in maybe fairy-tale land.

There is very little reasoning as to how what happened in the video corresponds to the above law. If the cop felt obstructed/impaired/prevented from doing his job because this woman was filming, then, again, he has some issues and should not be on the job. There was no interference, he just felt interfered, and therefore (probably) used this justification to arrest her.

Contempt of cop. "You seem very anti-police." "Well, you seem very anti-citizen and anti-freedom."

What makes his command a lawful order? Hypothetical: He tells her to go inside, she does. She stands just inside her doorway and continues to film (with the door open), what's next? "Go further into your house." ??? "Go inside until i can't see you." ??? At what point is this absurd? What's the lawful order? "Go inside your bedroom and shut the door." It's just stupid since she was on her own property.

Anecdote: Once, at my father's at the lake, a plane went down in a tree next door (there was a runway nearby) above some power lines. Everyone gathered around, the news came, cops came, sectioned off stuff, and we were standing in our driveway, about 12 feet from the road. A cop comes up, points at us and says, "Sir, get back in your residence." Yes, he said "in," as in "go inside." We just looked at him and said, "We're on our own property, we don't have to go inside." The cop did not say another thing and walked away because he knew he legally couldn't. A slightly different scenario than the OP, but similar nonetheless.

This lady was on her own property filming. Whether she has a history of this kind of thing or not, as some have mentioned (but i have not read all 29 pages), she was not breaking a law, no matter how the cop trie(s)d to twist it due to his own insecurities or authoritative egomania. There is no legal justification for his actions, as she was not breaking a law and her property was not a part of a crime. If she had been holding a gun, or was clearly threatening to him, he would have justification.

But she wasn't. And he doesn't.

She was NOT breaking a law and she was ON her own private property. Geez.

Period.

And people wonder why people get sick of and don't like cops.
edit on 23-6-2011 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012king
am i the only one who sees that these people are only recording the police to try and get a reaction?
why else would they be doing it?
i know people have the right to do pretty much whatever they want on their own property (within reason) but why make a video of the police?
i could understand it if something serious was happening, wether it be police brutality or a serious crime happening, but to record them just to get a reaction, and possibly try and get them into trouble because of that reaction, is just plain stupid.

You're not the only one who sees it - but that's just it. If the Police didn't react, went about their business, and ignored the woman - guess what would stop being "fun" to do?

But see, it's the very reaction the Police give - one of distrust and deceit - that keeps people filming them. Police should be happy to have EVERYTHING they do videoed. It's the only way they can PROVE they are not thugs with a badge...

But instead they seem to want to cloud their actions in secrecy.... doesn't that seem odd? After all, they're supposed to be nothing more than regular citizens charged with the duty of enforcing our laws - something WE ALL have the right to do, but choose instead to defer to the police to handle.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
reply to post by Kitilani

The eye witness said that the person was a young black male. He never addressed the existence of other persons in the car. So, I think you might want to rethink your correction.

On Thursday night I was at my friend's house when at about 9:45pm my friend and I saw flashing lights in front of the house. We both went outside to see what the commotion was about and we found two police cars blocking the street as they were performing a traffic stop. Later on a third police car pulled up making a total of four officers on the scene. The person pulled over was a young black male. It was unclear why the man was originally pulled over but one of the officers interrogated the man and accused him of possessing drugs. Not satisfied with the man's answers, the police took the man out of his car, handcuffed and put him in the back of a police car. After the man was detained, the police officers searched his car and found no drugs. The officers then released the man and said he was free to go. As the man drove away about 9:55pm he didn't appear to receive a ticket.

Good point. You would think if there were two other men in the car, that would have come up huh?

I never said that my scenario is what happened. I said that there are reasons it can happen and that is one I see often. Would you like me to answer the question with a list of every possible scenario that makes the math work out?

I would not take the other posters imaginary scenarios into consideration, do you think your imagination is more realistic? I do not care what you guys imagine or make up. I really don't.

There is a difference between being detained for suspicious activity while a crime is investigated and being arrested. Obviously they had enough suspicion to detain him. They found there was not probable cause for an arrest and let him go. Why? None of us can answer that. All I can do is offer scenarios from personal experience in hopes that people understand not every detention leads to arrest.

You mean guessing. I see that. I pointed out that is what it was and I could not apply what you imagined to the real situation we were discussing. I am not sure why it is so hard for the two of you to accept that you making up things that might have happened do not really matter.

Because you asked for help understanding the situation. I explained how it could work out and that not every detention leads to arrest. I was honestly just asking if I made it clear.
edit on 23-6-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2011 by MikeNice81 because: spelling is horrid I need to be sleeping instead of arguing on ATS

I underlined the key element that makes the difference between "helping someone understand" and just making things up. You go woulda shoulda coulda with x man there.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The amount of videos I have seen lately, filmed in the USA where people have been warned/arrested, and the people being warned/arrested have asked the simple question "What Law am I breaking" And the police had'nt a clue, is unreal.

Here is Scotland, the police do you if they think have reason, and dont if they are unsure.

I was assaulted about 2 years ago, posted it here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I posted it in the conspiracy area because I felt it came down to a lot of what you American people were going through.

This took a lot out of me, I really hated the experience, it took 2 years to get to court, when it did the Judge said SORRY to me for this miscarrige. And the police officer was reprimanded HEAVILY for not doing his job correctly.

Scotland for me. Although it took a while, in the end, justice was done, and the truth was seen.
Throughout I kept at the police over lazyness and in he end the court of the land agreed the policeman who charged me was lazy and incompetent. I have 2 family member in the police in and around my area, the chap who charged me is now sitting at a dest. and his buddy was transferred to England.

I am in the process of a claim against Lothian and Boarders Police and it looks like I will get compensation.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Also you do have to follow legal commands on private property. It doesn't matter if the crime occured in your yard. If somebodey kills a person and runs in to your house you can not obstruct the police from entering. You can not stop them from carrying out their legal duties in your home. It is the same thing with a traffic stop on the curb. They are using that property to execute their duties. You can not obstruct their ability to carry out said duty in a safe and reasonable manner.

Did you mean to only use examples that actually include that private property being part of the crime scene? He was not stopped in her yard. He did not drive into her house. The curb is no more her property than the sidewalk is.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I hope your right and I hope that the defenders of this officer come back and apologize if the charges are dismissed or the officer is reprimanded. My guess is they will continue to defend him regardless of what the outcome is. Birds of a feather flock together.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
WAIT so this chick decides she wants to be a douche just for #s and giggles and videotapes cops while they are doing their job and from the video.... doing nothing wrong to person of interest
THEN they have a point WTF is this crazy chick doing... i would be the same way then she is deliberately pushing their buttons and IMO interfering with them doing their JOB.

THen she gets her ass in trouble the plays the victim and starts crying and doesn't under stand whats going on im sorry but she is attention whore who wanted to be cool to post on youtube
she got what was coming

I'm not sticking up for cops i agree cops videos latly are showing cops over using and over stepping their boundaries but but definitely not sticking up for some attention seeking weirdo
edit on 23-6-2011 by 3xil3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3xil3
WAIT so this chick decides she wants to be a douche just for #s and giggles and videotapes cops while they are doing their job and from the video.... doing nothing wrong to person of interest
THEN they have a point WTF is this crazy chick doing... i would be the same way then she is deliberately pushing their buttons and IMO interfering with them doing their JOB.

THen she gets her ass in trouble the plays the victim and starts crying and doesn't under stand whats going on im sorry but she is attention whore who wanted to be cool to post on youtube
she got what was coming

I'm not sticking up for cops i agree cops videos latly are showing cops over using and over stepping their boundaries but but definitely not sticking up for some attention seeking weirdo

I think the woman was just standing up for her rights.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOrangeBrood

I do not even get how they are trying to characterize this as some super scary gangland with these violent thugs they were chasing when the one guy that was detained was let go and the only crime charged that night was on the woman not going into her house. Really sounds like it was a rough night for them cops. Some teenagers were busted for stealing over $50,000 worth of stuff from homes during the day out here in the suburbs but you better believe there are no women video taping anything out here. We would not stand for that outside the city limits.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

she got what was coming

yea with a camera she knew exactly what she was doing and what the consequences are when you interferer with police doing there job im sorry like i said before there are videos that show cops up to know good this is not one of them this is more like premeditated setup

karma is a bitch i hope she is in desperate need of police assistance one day

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
ahhh
good o' cops abusing their power and taking our tax dollars.
are we suckers or what?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

She did nothing that could in any way be construed by any rational person as interfering with or obstructing the officers' performance of their official duties. The officer's command that she stop filming or that she go inside her house was not lawful. It is ludicrous and dangerous to assert that citizens do not have the right to peacefully observe from a lawful vanatge point when police officer's are conducting an arrest or are in some manner interacting with other citizens.

Other people were outside watching as well. Why did that cop focus on her, a woman in her night clothes filming the spectacle from her front yard? Why did he feel threatened by her but not the others? Or was he, and his police department, implementing a policy of intimidation toward citizens who dare to film police activity? The latter is the only motive that makes sense.

This is not yet Nazi Germany where the police are an all powerful unrestrained Gestapo who can do to whomever, whenever, and wherever, whatever they want. I'm referring to their arrest of the woman who was videotaping from her front lawn or perhaps from the public sidewalk. Both are a lawful vantage point. She has every right to be at either location so long as she is not interfering with them. She clearly wasn't doing anything unlawful.

It is disturbing that the other two officers on the scene just quietly went along with that power freak nitwit's unlawful arrest of that woman. Stupid cop. Stupid assisting officers. Stupid police department. That sort of thing doesn't happen unless it is accepted and encouraged by these officers' superiors.

She deserves compensation and that cop deserves a suspension without pay for what he did to her. More likely he will get an unpublicised commendation, maybe a bonus, and become a model to be emulated by other wannabe tough guys and gals.

How strange that they completely lost their focus from what they were doing, let their original targets go, and re-focused all their activity on her who had done nothing illegal!
edit on 6/23/2011 by dubiousone because: Clarification.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
They need to change this whole dumb police system. They need to stop the culture of police vs us that these policemen carry on them. They need to stop this code-blue crap where they dont rat on each other like if it was a group outside of society. These two points divides them from us and creates this brotherhood that shouldnt exist for any organization that has a form of "power".

They need to screen cops for social and mental issues monthly, and have a strong body of people to represent the civilian in all police cases. Yeah, cops put their bodies on the line and some dont deserve to go through monthly screenings, or go through questioning, BUT THEY DONT WOOOORK FOR FREEEEEE. It is still a freaking job, and they will never work for free, and never work without benefits, its a job, so they should get treated like workers for the govt. not special cases that get away with things as if they were superheroes who sacrifice their lives for nothing but honor. The biggest farce is to believe a policemans job is to protect, no paperwork exists that says that, their job is clear, enforcement of law, not the cities bodyguard and protector. So people need to stop seeing them in that light, and realize they are workers with a form of authority, and need to be put under the microscope.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

she got what was coming

She had previously been arrested for this type of thing before. She knew what was going to happen. I suspect shes trying to create a situation to make money for herself. She went from tough to crying pretty quick. Again, back story? The cops may know something about the woman that we dont. And she said it was her friend in the car, so if the plates came back registered to a known gang member and she knows said gang member the cops have reason to stop her. Notice they didnt stop the other person from filming.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join