It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Rules US Taxpayers, Not BP Or Transocean, Are Liable For Gulf Oil Spill Clean Up Costs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Court Rules US Taxpayers, Not BP Or Transocean, Are Liable For Gulf Oil Spill Clean Up Costs

US District court has dismissed over 100,000 lawsuits brought against BP And Transocean to pay for oil spill clean up costs and environmental damages caused to the Gulf of Mexico from the BP Gulf Oil Spill. The court ruled that injury stopped the moment the well was sealed and the Federal Government, aka The US Taxpayer, is now liable for clean up costs along with any damages caused by deficiencies of the cleanup of the Gulf Of Mexico.

The US District Courts have ruled that since oil is no longer flowing from the Macando Well BP and Transocean are not liable for cleanup costs and damages from the BP Gulf Oil Spill since the “well has already been sealed and the injury has already been committed”.

In the ruling the court goes on note that Federal Government is in charge of the oil spill clean up efforts. Thus any damages related to the cleanup are now the burden of the Federal Government, meaning the US Taxpayer.The ruling means that Taxpayers are not only liable for the clean up of the BP Gulf Oil Spill but it also means that any damages caused by deficiencies of the clean up in the Gulf is now also the responsibility of the US Taxpayer.

http://(nolink)/2011/06/18/unbelievable-courts-rule-taxpayers-bp-transocean-liable-gulf-oil-spill-clean-costs-29071/

copy and paste link...for some reason it's not working correctly...just paste in internet search bar. Take out the (nolink) in the address. For some reason it's adding it after I submit for posting. Link to second article works fine however.

BP wins a big one in oil spill litigation

NEW ORLEANS - Ruling in favor of Transocean and BP, a federal judge on Thursday dismissed third-party environmental claims in a giant pleading bundle in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill litigation, saying the fact that the oil flow has stopped makes those lawsuits irrelevant.

"The injunction at this stage would be useless, as not only is there no ongoing release from the well, but there is also no viable offshore facility from which any release could possibly occur," U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier wrote. "The Macondo well is dead, and what remains of the Deepwater Horizon vessel is on the ocean floor, where it capsized and sank in 5,000 feet of water.

"Moreover, BP and the agencies comprising the Unified Area Command have been and are cleaning up the Gulf of Mexico. An injury is not redressable by a citizen suit when the injury is already being addressed."

www.activistpost.com...
I haven't heard anything about this. UNBELIEVABLE!!! (did a quick search and didn't see anything)
edit on 20-6-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
wow...looks like they bribed themselves some more judges...how wonderful...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Pretty amazing that this went unnoticed? 100,000 claims and they were basically said "Tough S?"

I wonder if that judge has any shares in BP.

+31 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Is there any doubt now that America has ceased to be a Democratic Republic and is now under the tyrannical rule of Corporations? A corporate Oligarchy if you will; a Corporatracy. Neither the Supreme Court or the Administration, Congress or the Legislature give a **** about the American taxpayers or their welfare. Only the big money lobbyist matter now.

What a sad and pitiful Nation we have become! The prophetic world of George Orwell is now a reality.

edit on 20-6-2011 by whaaa because: pt

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I suppose hoping for a different outcome was futile. Does this stuff make anybody else feel like kicking a puppy? The responsibility seems to always fall in our laps. I wish I were equipped with accountability deflectors.

Maybe we should all go start cleaning the beaches and piling the garbage in this judges yard. With "thank you" notes of course.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Bobaganoosh because: yup

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
So I'm guessing that this will pave the way for any corporation to neglect their duties and obligations to the environment and people.

How much more proof do people need now to show that the US Govt. and Court systems are not going to stand by it's citizens that pay for their salaries?

This is absolutely the most heinous criminal action that has been committed against Americans since the bail outs and now people have to shell out more because of it. I would like to draw the comparisons to Greece but it would take too long.

Remember one thing, King Obama has proven that he is above the law and constitution so if he wanted to reverse this, he would. But since it plays into his plans of bankrupting the entire Nation...he won't.

So who is to blame? BP or Obama? BP is nothing but a corporation run on greed...Obama is supposedly the protector of America (So he says) and it's HIS job to make them pay for hurting Americans and America.

Tell him to do his job!

edit on 20-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure this ruling happend on the same day Weiner resigned....excellent diversion story.

from link in OP:

The lawsuits dismissed on Thursday belonged to the D1 pleading bundle. D1 bundle claims were filed by third-party organizations that alleged environmental damages under the Clean Water Act; the Endangered Species Act; the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act; and the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act.

Last Thursday was the 16th, the same day Weiner resigned which was a media bonanza!
articles.cnn.com...
OLITICS

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
its all about the money

qui bono?

not sure if this link has been posted b4, interesting 2 part vid on u tube
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Is there any doubt now that America has ceased to become a Democratic Republic and is now under the tyrannical rule of Corporations? A corporate Oligarchy if you will; a Corporatracy. Neither the Supreme Court of the Administration, Congress or the Legislature give a **** about the American taxpayers or their welfare. Only the big money lobbyist matter now.

I'm amazed this happened 4 days ago and it's the first I've heard of it. This should anger everyone on both sides of the aisle and everyone in the middle. It's insane!

The Supreme court continuously rules in favor of corporations...so if this should go that far this is a pretty good idea of what will happen.

Not much doubt who's in control now right?

The people get screwed AGAIN!!!! They trash our coasts with their negligence and now get out of paying the damages....sticking us with the bill...just because they supposedly stopped the leak?

What kind of reasoning is this?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Wow, I can't seem to grasp the reasoning for saying their liability is over once the well was sealed. If there was still clean up efforts that a result of the initial incident. The ramifications of that incident don't magically disappear once that well was sealed.

So what is their reasoning for saying the taxpayers are liable? Was it us who caused the spill to happen in some way similar to BP. If we aren't responsible for the spill, then how in the hell are we responsible for the damages? By the simple act of taking part in the clean up efforts we became liable for injury and damages?

WTF? Did I wake up in bizaro world today?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There has got to be some reason this ruling is'nt getting any play with the media. Guess it's a good time to buy a couple hundred shares of BP stock, I bet thats what the insiders have been doing. Laughing all the way to the bank.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This doesnt suprise me. The worst thing about it is.. There is nothing we can do about it. Not only are the taxpayers paying for it, but so are our fishermen, shrimpers, reserves as well as anything and everything that relies on the gulf and the beaches along that gulf to make a living. We live in a very critical and sad state of existance. All the more reason to hold congress, courts, and our presedent accountable.

So how is it again, that I am supposed to feel patriotic? I'm not so proud to be an american if america stands for the careless and recklace damnation of it's people. They dont care about us, why in the 9 hells are we supposed to care about them? And how in creation do we keep putting these people in power to govern us? Are we that damn stupid?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well might as well add this to our debts.

But I'm sure we'll cut off help for single mothers with kids or the elderly to help pay for BP's and Transoceans oil spill that destroyed the lives of thousands and wrecked the environment.

This is a disgrace.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Uh huh...

Is it really any surprise to anyone that the final bill falls into the hands of the taxpayer ?

Any and every situation, scenario, crisis, plan, scheme, shenanigan, corporate restructure, market fall, etc, etc, always falls onto the burden of the taxpayer at the end of the day.

They're just not hiding that fact any more.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This isn't getting play in the media because it's a fairly irrelevant ruling. Did you guys even bother to read the article and what this lawsuit pertains too or are you waiting for someone to explain it to you.

The suit was a broad based attempt by environemental groups to sue BP over cleanup issues but the judge ruled that since this is being handled under the direction of the federal government and since BP has already and still is contributing to that effort there is no basis for the suit. He also states that since the well is dead and there is no further oil leakage that the suit does not hold merit for any future problems either.

People are still allowed to bring lawsuits under other federal guidlines if they have cases however so this ruling only pertains to one issue and the judge ruled wisely. Don't forget that BP already paid a very hefty sum to get this clean-up done so they've honored previous court rulings which is why the court negated this one.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Is the clean up actually done? What are the long-term effects?

And how much did BP actually pay?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by origamiandurbanism
Is the clean up actually done? What are the long-term effects?

And how much did BP actually pay?

No the clean-up is far from done and i'm not sure what the dollar figure is but it shouldn't be that hard to find it out if your interested. No one knows the long term effects but supposedly it won't be too bad from what i've heard.

This lawsuit was brought by environmentalist groups in regards to the actual clean-up process and the judge has ruled that since the clean-up process is not being run by BP but is being done by the federal government that the claims cannot go forward.

The judge also stated that if he did let the claims go forward and the plaintiffs won that it would have no effect since BP are not the ones running the operation. He basically threw out frivilous lawsuits that do nothing but clog up the system. He also said that since there was no more oil flowing out and no chance of it happening that any future lawsuits regarding BP and clean-up cannot be brought.

I totally understand and believe that BP should be raked over the coals for what they did in the gulf as it was horrendous but that doesn't mean I'm going to assume that every single case brought against them is legitimate and should automatically be settled against them.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Disgusting.

Absolutely disgusting.

America has become an absolute joke.

Justice? liberty?

Your government and your companies just gave you the royal finger.

I'm amazed you all so readily sit there and take this from them..

Shame on you.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Cost of cleaning oil spill: billions... maybe trillions?

Cost of bribing judge... less than a million?

Destruction of our nation... priceless

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Why don't you American citizens do a 'class-action-like' mass refusal to file/pay taxes.....a huge, internet-organized revolution?....thousands of people all at once; a virus-like uprising and refusal to feed the dragon!

I'm OK, I'm an alien and I'm outa here by the end of the year.
I've had enough of this krap!
edit on 20-6-2011 by Starling because: sp

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join