It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MP: Disabled Should Be Able To Work For Less

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

MP: Disabled Should Be Able To Work For Less

uk.news.yahoo.com

A Conservative MP has suggested that people with disabilities wanting to get on to the job ladder should be able to offer themselves for work at below the minimum wage.

Mr Davies said he had spoken to people with mental health problems during a visit to the charity Mind and found they were "quite accepting" of the fact they would be overlooked.

Senior Tory Edward Leigh challenged Mr Davies, saying: "Forget the fact there's a minimum wage for a moment. Why actually should a disabled person work for less than £5.93 an hour? It's not a lot of money, is it?"

Mr Davies told him: "I
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Personally I cannot believe that anyone would deem an individual deserving of less pay because the work could be potentially more challenging, and not of equal standard to someone who would be considered less challlenged, let alone an MP !

This is truely outrageous in my opinion, if the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) deems an individual as fit to work regardless of ability, then they are entitled to be paid at the same rate as a person with no perceived differculties.

Whats next, wages set to your educational attainment ?

One day could only having GCSES mean you are paid less for doing the same job as those with A-Level's, Degree ?

Please feel free to comment

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
That is so insulting and a show of just how low the people put in a position to protect have fallen. Today it is the disabled tomorrow the less than rich.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The only thing I have to say is that, I am kind of leaning toward his side, because the Publix that I want to work at is filled. All the bagging and cashier jobs belong to disabled people (mentals, bad legs, autistic, mentally challenged). There's even a stroke victim that works there, and I hate seeing her have to walk to the manager.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I agree, and all this from a Tory MP too.

Looks like those true colours, are begining to show through.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

If you work for min wage then you must live in a cardboard box and eat cat food
WTF is wrong with these slave drivers, inflation should be matched to wages
these SOBs are turning us into slaves

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The DWP always seem to screw over those with mental disabilities.

They give Employment Support Allowance to those with disabilities but while the physically disabled get them which is just fine, they deserve it obviously, it also gets handed to drug addicts and alcoholics. Those with mental disabilities such as severe depression, autism and other ailments are treated by the DWP as scum, made to constantly prove they even have an illness regardless of doctors, psychologists and the like confirming the existence of such and forced to go through tribunals just to be entitled to a measly benefit anyway.

Now those with a mental disability who can work should be allowed to but not for less than minimum wage.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
The only thing I have to say is that, I am kind of leaning toward his side, because the Publix that I want to work at is filled. All the bagging and cashier jobs belong to disabled people (mentals, bad legs, autistic, mentally challenged). There's even a stroke victim that works there, and I hate seeing her have to walk to the manager.

Ah, ahem. Have you ever heard of car accidents? War?
Many disabled come from these means as well.
And that woman you hate seeing walking to her manager... well she's walking and working!!!! Where is she suppose to be on the street starving because of your discomfort?
And speaking of your discomfort, that could be labeled as a disability as well.
See where this is going yet?

edit on 17-6-2011 by DaWhiz because: correction

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Ummm to be honest, this has all largely been taken completely out of context, as usualy is the case with the Main stream media.

The MP in question was giving an interview on BBC Radio 4 this afternoon and explained himself pretty well. Also if you actualy listen to the entirety of his speech you will get a better idea of what he was saying.

Basicaly he said, because people are disabled, and people do have mental ill health issues, it is a simple fact employers will higher people who DO NOT HAVE these issues. It is that simple, abled bodied persons, and persons with a distinct lack of mental ill health are MORE PRODUCTIVE and that is what an employer cares about. Why would they higher someone at the same price who is less effficient?

NOW

The MP was stating that is a serious problem within the work force, because that model in particular makes life incredibly tough to get a job. The situation many people who have come out of prison face. What he suggested was this.

For a trial period, someone who is willing to work for less than the minimum wage, should be entitled to do so, as is there right to work for less IN ORDER TO SECURE THE EMPLOYMENT to show an employer they are indeed just as productive, and once said trial period is over there wages would reflect the minimum wage. Why is that wrong?

He also mentiond in his speech people who live on minimum wage is completely ludicrous, as that is essentialy the minimum amount of money it is thought that you can survive on, and they tax you on it, lol what?. But you dont see the newspaper highliting that point. Also it was kinda lulzy one of the largest mental health charities in the country started saying he was completely out of order, his comments were a disgrace etc to which he replied, WHY DO YOU YOURSELVES PAY YOUR DISABLED WORKERS LESS THEN? LOL. Hypocrit scum.

The MP was essentialy calling for people to review the situation in order to help those with disabilitys mental or otherwise find gainfull employment. He just may have chosen his words a bit better. And as such knee jerk reactions fly everywhere as everyone decide to believe what they read in the godamn MAIN STREAM F***-ING MEDIA.
edit on 17-6-2011 by Johnze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Was he referring to himself and the other Members?

If that's the case, then hell yes!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It's all part of this conspiracy to suck all the safety net stuff dry, as well as any other more vulnerable source of revenue FROM YOU. It's been going on in increments so you can't tell. Thats how They do it. This government has global war machinations and needs all the money it can siphon dry. I know, I know, some would say, "Aw, there's no October Libya because there was no October Iran." But there was going to be an Iran, as Hillary was traveling around to present the case, being a good little Colin Powell. But I am convinced that was delayed for some reason, maybe it was thwarted, by someone(s) something(s) from either the inside our outside. "Thats all right, We will get you yet, my pretties. Patience." ( enter>Scary cackle.....)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

I disagree, the minimum wages are there as a protection for the dumb, to exploit that is now illegal and has always been unethical.
Plus if you pay below minimum wage immigrants will flood your country and live 20 to a house, and take all of the jobs that could have been good enough for a living wage.
Got any probs in England with immigration?
mmmmmhm.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatiOpress

If you work for min wage then you must live in a cardboard box and eat cat food
WTF is wrong with these slave drivers, inflation should be matched to wages
these SOBs are turning us into slaves

We have been slaves for centuries. It's the Banksters that keep us slaves. We need to return to the government the right to issue money where it belongs. Currently it's the private Bank of England which has that right - they create money and then lend it to the government. Our taxes pay the INTEREST on the loan, the loan itself is never paid off. Thus we are the slaves and the oligarchs receive billions of our money.

The whole system is a huge SCAM - and yes, we are slaves. That's what the Freeman movement is all about - getting ourselves out of slavery. That's why we have to bring the banks down and why we need a revolution to end the slavery.
edit on 17-6-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

But why should a disabled person be paid less, even for a three month period, when there are those out there with none of these issues, who potentially may be less productive at doing the job than those who are disabled, yet they would get paid a higher wage from the get go.

No sorry the argument is still flawed.

You cannot have a two tiered payment system on that basis.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

The minumum wage varies depending on your age

£5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
£4.92 - the 18-20 rate
£3.64 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
£2.50 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

Doesnt make a whole lot of sense, your legaly an adult at 16, potentialy married with a kid. On 2.50 an hour, LOL. So if thats the case where is the outcry on people supporting families at 16 yet someone at 19 living at home with no kids gets more?. You see these are bull# arbitrary numbers that protect no one.

Dunno man, not from england, but aye there immigration sucks on account of our social services giving them free housing and child support.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

your missing the point, its not that THEY SHOULD BE PAID LESS

Its that if a disabled person WANTED TOO THEY COULD BE PAID LESS IN ORDER TO SECURE A JOB THEY CANNOT GET BECAUSE OF DISCRIMINATION FROM EMPLOYERS.

I dont really understand how you cant grasp that. Oh and look at our minimum wages for a tiered system and rethink this lofty one wage for all bull#.
edit on 17-6-2011 by Johnze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Or NOT!!!!!! Disabled should only work if they wish to, they rarely hold jobs for long, and need to continue their disability, and this guy should should be ashamed of even speaking in public, period.

In fact I'd be ensuring disabled lived on his income and he got a dose of 5 years on theirs.
edit on 17-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze

your missing the point, its not that THEY SHOULD BE PAID LESS

Its that if a disabled person WANTED TOO THEY COULD BE PAID LESS IN ORDER TO SECURE A JOB THEY CANNOT GET BECAUSE OF DISCRIMINATION FROM EMPLOYERS.

It doesn't matter if you write it in caps, blood, or spraypaint, it still doesn't change the fact, that this is wrong, the government should be looking for ways to bridge this gap in employer bias, not supporting it.

Doh !

How about the government making up the shortfall in the disabled persons wages til the company deems them to be worthy of employing on equal pay.

They are quick enough to drive them off of benefits, in the name of empowerment, and now they want to compromise that, what gives ?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

For a trial period, someone who is willing to work for less than the minimum wage, should be entitled to do so, as is there right to work for less IN ORDER TO SECURE THE EMPLOYMENT to show an employer they are indeed just as productive, and once said trial period is over there wages would reflect the minimum wage. Why is that wrong?

It's wrong because they would never be deemed "just as productive", and will be let go to make room for the next sucker to work for less than minimum. Some employers would shift to serially hiring the disabled to lower costs, others would take advantage of whatever their mental disability might be and cheat them out of their fair wages. Very few would actually hire them at the regular rate: most would sanctimoniously bleat about all the effort they put into giving retards a chance they unfortunately weren't capable of taking advantage of.

It's the same scam as "internships" that are unpaid or less than minimum wage. As a college instructor for digital multimedia I was frequently approached by companies would wanted to offer internships to my students. However, none of the companies I checked out ever actually hired any of their interns; they were just a source of cheap or free labor, and the resume enhancement aspects of it were usually nil. I always refused to participate in such scams.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

My bad, I did not realize you folks had minimum wages, here we have A minimum wage.
Bottom line is what is a persons sweat worth, I say the same no matter who you are.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join