It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just finished watching....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I just finished watching a show on the tv called after armageddon...I have seen it a couple of times....many of you here I am sure have seen it...you can see it on the net...discovery channel.
There is some good information in it and things to think about if TSHTF with a pandemic of some sort.
You have to keep in mind that its a TV show with information and acting...it has good information in it and has several things in it that made me personally think of ways to harden up my preps. Again its a show that is just to get you some basic information about what "it could be like".

There are those that think a SHTF will be like the video games that they play all the time...they will be jumping from roof tops and sniping people along with that, they will think they are Chuck Norris, Rambo, and the terminator in wrapped up into one...the ones that think this are living in a fantacy world...lol.

There are several things to take from the show, but the one's I wish to stress here are
1) Life will get very tough in any SHTF... life is not always fair and you will have some hard, difficult times ahead of you.
2) Check your preps for several things from food, meds, water purifiers, protection(knives, guns and ammo) you might also want to get a few books on things that you don't know about.
3) Learn some basic skills and pay attention to whats happening in the world....we could very easily be in some sort of dissaster in a blink of an eye....it could be an economic collapse, earthquakes, floods, fires, errupting volcano's, martial law with riots in the streets, food and fuel shortages ...these are just to name a few that are actually happening around the world right now.

Get some books with information on "how to" for the things you don't know how to do....the books could be anything from how to plant a garden, skin and process animals, uses for plants....to how to build a sod house or how to make moonshine(for fuel and medical reasons...to disinfect cuts, scrapes and wounds)...to camp fire cooking or a trappers guide to the wilderness.

There are many things that we all will need or want to know how to do...so get the books and information on it now.
This world that we live in is a powder keg...and I feel as though the fuse is burning...are you ready for whats next?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Sounds good, will try to have a look round for it at some point...It's a type of show that I know my friend would like.

Also, the reality is that if SHTF, I think 99% of people around the world won't be prepared & ready...I know my family isn't.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Great thread! I saw this program too. For those who haven't seen it, it's a must watch if you want to survive a mega disaster. Many things that one doesn't consider initially in survival. Most people only go as far as water and food but there is so much more to consider.

One thing that I have seen advertised that would be really good in a survival pack would be those new water bottles with the filters in them. They are portable and would filter water where ever you are. Maybe replacement filters would be a good bet too if they make them. Also a bottle of bleach like they say. It appears that meds will be really hard to come by too. So be sure to stock up on the basics at least. Lots of pain meds like IBP and Tylenol, antibiotics(if you can get them) or bacitracin type topicals, peroxide and bandages. Again, very important and great thread!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kissitgoodbye

Forgot one thing. You don't have to pay a lot for books either. Go to Good Will, or other second hand stores for them. You will save a lot of money on them.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
... or talk to someone who grew up during the Depression of the 20s/30s.
They'll tell you how to grow a good garden, how to live off of basically nothing, and why helping your fellow neighbours will help us all in the end.

The elderly get it, WTF happened to the rest of us?
Ah yes, it was the "boom" decades that followed.

BOOM alright---

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
A well stocked( paper) library is very important! a pile of links and saved tabs in your browser doesn't cut it if power and the web becomes sporadic.

"98.6 keepin' your ass alive" by barefoot survivalist Cody Lundin is an excellent primer
"Life after doomsday" by Bruce D. Clayton is a Nuclear survival classic; a must for every shtf shelf.

Don't forget things like: " The humanure handbook" ( safe handling disposal and re-cycling of human waste...)
"Ball blue book of canning"
"post-petroleum survival guide and cookbook..."
"Storey's Basic country skills"
an all around "hobby farm" bible; fencing ,small buildings, small animal husbandry, gardening,canning, etc etc)

The military survival manuals are interesting but limited in that; They are geared to very short term survival and then making it back("out") to your own safe area to rejoin your "side". In some foreseeable scenarios there is no back "out" ...(SHTF is now the New normal!)...interesting reading none the less.

"medicine for the outdoors" ( the essential guide to first aid and medical emergencies 5th edition)by Paul S. Auerbach, md; is pretty good..

"Primitive skills and crafts" by Richard and Linda Jamison covers some basic stone age skills

"Alcohol can be a "gas": a very complete "alcohol production for fuel" bible.

"The Foxfire" series are great.
and plenty more (too many to list)

I probably have more money in reference books on the shelf than in my firearms...and I have a "decent; purposeful" collection of tools built up over the years..

edit on 10-6-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I need more coffee. Just added this to the wrong thread.

Adding the names to the cable shows in a list would be useful. That way folks could look them up and record as needed.

Partial set of notes from "'After the Apocalypse'": (history channel)

The writers were really spot on with this one. They called many things I completely failed to notice and laid it out in a sequence of events according to the weeks as they went by. This threw me off the first time I watched it, but this time I put it all into 30 day segments and found out I was lacking by at least 50% of where I should be to meet each set of challenges.

The key points I missed were as follows:

1. Meds, medical supplies, medical books and medical experience are worth more than any amount of silver or gold. This should be the first focus now and at every stage.

2. Women and children are never to be trusted. In the end game they become savage and brutal killers. Where as men tend to think and plan coherently to acquire more food and water, they are driven by genetics and hormones to survive only in the present. This applies more to strangers than your own.

3. A 2 year stabilization is required for the proper die off and the human spirit to begin to form long term lifestyles again.

4. Plan on the infiltrators. They will beg at your feet day one. Share what they have day two while you sing around the campfire. And slit your throat on day three so their clan can take what you have. They are skilled. We are not.

Solid point they made:

Every 30 days the competition will get tougher among survivors. Its also exponential. If you hit your 30,60,90, and 120 day marks the game got tougher and more brutal at each stage.

From 120 days until order and civilization begin to recover at two years....its a crap shoot, and you need to stay armed, aware and awake to the big picture. Looking at every new thing and place as a trap, and planning your escape before hand.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Just bookmarking!

Good thread

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Just wanted to let you know that I posted a thread to draw attention TO your thread because I felt it was getting lost in the ATS world for lack of subject matter in the title. It was only to help draw attention to your VERY important thread and message, not to detract from it. With some help from a kind moderator, a link was posted to your thread. Blessings

edit on 10-6-2011 by kissitgoodbye because: wanted to add that there was a link posted to this thread from another.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

A well stocked( paper) library is very important! a pile of links and saved tabs in your browser doesn't cut it if power and the web becomes sporadic.

yep books will come in handy when the tp runs out back in the day when they didnt have tp the used the pages of books.

to thje op

life will be hard in a shft stating the obvious.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Seen the show. It touches bases on allot of issues and explains the reasoning behind it. I also like the two colony shows, Though the second one seemed fake as heck when it came to the attacking people..

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Thanks, I can always use more useful info such as this. Will be watching this thread.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

That was a pretty good program, a partial reality check for those that have their head's in the clouds and think everything will be ok.

The main thing I find good about these sorts of programs, is not the "theories" or "possibilities" they espouse, but they get a person thinking "What if" and that tends to get someone in the right frame of mind for TSHTF scenarios.

For me, most of that program was common sense (that's me though), but I did like how in the end they point to the importance of anti-biotics, a simple cut if not treated correctly can be game over.

There are those that think a SHTF will be like the video games that they play all the time...they will be jumping from roof tops and sniping people along with that, they will think they are Chuck Norris, Rambo, and the terminator in wrapped up into one...the ones that think this are living in a fantacy world...lol.

The sad reality of this is, those people will sustain injuries, more than likely, and those simple injuries will be what does them in.

All the points you raise are good points, if people are not thinking these things already though, it may be too late.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
It was kind of a surprise twist.

I was impressed with the quality of experts and stopping to have the commentary that explained several of the points. Same here, not so much for me but for other folks that watch it.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

2. Women and children are never to be trusted. In the end game they become savage and brutal killers. Where as men tend to think and plan coherently to acquire more food and water, they are driven by genetics and hormones to survive only in the present. This applies more to strangers than your own.

Ya think ? I'm a woman ,and quite honestly I wouldn't even want to survive that type of scenario. I would only for the sake of loved ones,that needed me...and to help, but if it got so ruthlessly competitive, there's no way I'd want to fight harder, just to exist in that type of atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Great idea to talk to the elders! If you can find them. Most are on the red or blue list.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Could anyone post links to the home pages of the shows listed above? (after armaggeddon and after the apocalypse) thanks.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It is a great show, and covers a variety of material I would have to agree with you.

I would like to think I'm ready, how ever every one knows there is always, more to do and know which will make us all that much more ready.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yes, the ugly truth is a tough one to truly absorb into our grey matter.

We all like to think of ourselves as the hero/protagonist in a "Fallout 3" video game scenario, but the reality is that not a one of us, not a one, is that special.

Each and every one of us can be a victim of our own doing... wrong place, wrong time... no matter how prepared we are.

Will the world ever get to this point of no return ?

That's the big question... and one that I hope none of us is ever able to answer.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Many people here are wanting to buy books on the "How to"...well if you google the name of the book and see if it has a PDF free copy ... you can print it out...or put on a thumb drive and print out later...then use a 3 ring binder and 3 hole punch... to keep your books...You can make your own library that way.

I suggest that everyone does what they can while they can...worst case is you'll buy the things you need for future use but at cheaper prices by buying it now...instead of at inflated prices of the near future.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join