It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly Levels of Radiation Detected in Tokyo at Ground Level

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Deadly Levels of Radiation Detected in Tokyo at Ground Level

Perhaps the reason why so far nobody has been too concerned about the radiation levels in and around Tokyo, some 140 miles southwest of Fukushima, be that everyone is looking for radiation in all the wrong places? As the following very disturbing video demonstrates, a quick trip down the street with your personal Geiger counter indicates, the radiation gradient between the air and the ground is orders of magnitude. It is unclear if the ground is such a more generous source of radiation due to radioactive rains seeping into the ground, due to irradiated water in the subsoil, or for some other reason. What is pretty certain, is that unless Japanese citizens have learned to fly and avoid the ground altogether, by walking each and every day, they absorb substantial abnormal amounts of radiation. How soon before we transition from videos of earless mutant bunnies to those of something far more tragic?

This is very consistent with my own experience. During Chernobyl, I lived in a place in Western Europe with the highest levels of radiation from the accident.

The drains, or anywhere where there was water, were the worst places in terms of radioactivity.

This slow train wreck is getting very close to the wall now.

More from the same individual:

With the situation at Fukishima still completely out of control (and getting worse), what do you think this looks like for Tokyo a month from now? Six months from now? A year?

:shk:

Japan (and the world) are in serious trouble.

I'm afraid we need a miracle.

Little else looks like it will help.

edit on 9-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Disturbing, thanks for the post.

Has anyone tested the soil/drainage systems on North America's west coast with a personal Geiger counter?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Just the facts, ma'am. Great vids that let's grim reality speak for itself. So what level on that counter represents a deadly level?

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So in the first video it says a maximum of 5.77... but what is it? uSv/hr? mSv/hr?

Let's say it's 5.77 uSv/hr (because it's probably is)... 5.77*24*365 = 50545 uSv/year. Now that's 50 mSv/year...

At Chernobyl, they evacuated anyone that would get a LIFETIME dose of 350 mSv...

So let's say you walk around in Tokyo... and then wind starts to pick up (not to mention typhoons) and you breath in a few particules of that radiatioactive dust? Well guess what pal, congratulation, you'll probably have cancer.

This whole thing is a travesty, TEPCO, the Japanese nuclear inspection body and the Japanese government officials who are covering this up need to end their lives in jail.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If radiation levels are stronger near the ground, maybe it seeped into the earth's crust somehow and is all over the planet, or maybe it made it into some deep underground river but I'm pretty sure if that melted material made contact with the water underneath it it would cause a huge nuclear explosion.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I think this is the model he is using:

XR51DP8021

Radiation type / personal dose alarm / radiation detector / (X, γ, hard-β) radiation personal dose equivalent (rate) Alarm / personal dosimeter / ray detector / nuclear radiation meter
model: XR51DP8021 (gold spot advantage)
library No.: M164911
OEM processing for large quantity of the product, Recruitment agents throughout the country.

Video related products

X-γ radiation personal dose equivalent (rate) Alarm - as a user-friendly design, enhanced monitoring device is mainly used for personal dose X, γ-ray and hard to monitor β-ray radiation protection for nuclear power plants, accelerators, isotope application, industry X, γ nondestructive testing, medical radiation, cobalt source treatment, γ irradiation, radioactive laboratories, environmental monitoring around nuclear facilities in areas such as alarm indication to me promptly, to ensure the safety of staff; instrument can simultaneously measure the dose rate and the cumulative dose. It uses the power of new chip technology, the detector is compensated by the GM counter, the instrument has a wide measuring range, good energy response characteristics, and with instructions and overload protection.

Instrument features

★ user-friendly design, the instrument is simple, easy to use

★ cumulative dose and dose rate measurements show that can display both CMP

★ instrument of high sensitivity, fast response, measurable environmental background

★ automatically switch the unit of measurement

★ protection alarm automatically stored measurement data, to view

★ saved automatically start date cumulative dose and cumulative

★ with unique LED lights, LED flashing frequency can reflect the radiation intensity

★ can be preset dose rate and cumulative dose alarm threshold

★ dose rate and cumulative dose of sound and light alarm

★ sound, vibration, light, quiet way to choose the alarm

★ Low power design, power supply battery voltage status indicator

★ cumulative dose for a long time after the power save

★ with real-time clock function, the clock running after shutdown

★ Built-in fault detection, dose rate, overload alarm and protection, to ensure that work equipment

Main Specifications

★ measuring range: dose rate: 0.01 μSv / h ~ 150mSv / h)

Cumulative dose: 0.00 μSv ~ 999.9mSv

★ energy range: 40Kev ~ 3Mev

★ energy response error: ≤ ± 30% (relative to 137Cs)

edit on 9-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Originally posted by pajoly
Just the facts, ma'am. Great vids that let's grim reality speak for itself. So what level on that counter represents a deadly level?

Here is something quick:

HOW DANGEROUS IS RADIATION?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks for posting Loam, the situation is a nightmare, and the media just pretends its all good and
it will go away. Which it will in 4 to 30,000 years. Depending on the isotope. Im not very confident with
the EPA's detection unit reports either. Berkeley has been issuing reports, but I haven't checked the
latest. The EPA's response (and Japans) is to raise the acceptable levels and turn some of their detectors
off. I know it is to prevent panic, but it is disgraceful that dietary supplements and safe practices have not
been mentioned. Kelp tablets are an excellent source of iodine, as long as it was made before march 2011,
and not from that region in the Pacific Ocean.

S&F

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
There are things like this going on and TPTB are doing their best to minimize the importance. They will come along and say, Oh, you're mistaken, your not reading it right. Then throw in some complicated terminology and mathematical equations that the average joe doesn't even understand, to try and prove it. The fact is, they don't care. It's all about profit and how quickly they can cover their collective asses when it goes bad. The US steps in when another country is killing it's own people, where are they now?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Just found this article in Japan Times:

Radioactive strontium detected 62 km from Fukushima No. 1 plant

WIDEN, Evac Zone: Greenpeace — Minute amounts of radioactive strontium have been detected in soil at 11 locations in Fukushima Prefecture, including the city of Fukushima 62 km from the crippled nuclear power plant, according to the science ministry. Strontium tends to accumulate in bones and is believed to cause bone cancer and leukemia.

If this radioactive material has already migrated 62 km from the plant, how long has it been seeping into the ground? How fast does this stuff move?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The radiation levels measured come from actual radioactive particles emitting radiation. What would happen if you inhaled such a particle? Might it not sit in your lungs radiating your body for years to come?

epa ...

What happens to inhaled radioactive materials?

Radioactive particles can lodge in the lungs and remain for a long time. As long as it remains and continues to decay, the exposure continues. For radionuclides that decay slowly, the exposure continues over a very long time. Inhalation is of most concern for radionuclides that are alpha or beta particle emitters. Alpha and beta particles can transfer large amounts of energy to surrounding tissue, damaging DNA or other cellular material. This damage can eventually lead to cancer or other diseases and mutations.

An interview for your consideration ...

What They're Covering Up at Fukushima

They say as you move away the radiation is reduced in inverse ratio to the square of the distance. I want to say the reverse. Internal irradiation happens when radioactive material is ingested into the body. What happens? Say there is a nuclear particle one meter away from you. You breathe it in, it sticks inside your body; the distance between you and it is now at the micron level. One meter is 1000 millimeters, one micron is one thousandth of a millimeter. That’s a thousand times a thousand: a thousand squared. That’s the real meaning of “inverse ratio of the square of the distance.” Radiation exposure is increased by a factor of a trillion. Inhaling even the tiniest particle, that’s the danger.

The levels of exposure deemed to be "safe" out in the open air are meaningless if you have ingested or inhaled radioactive particles.

The level of radiation detected gives some indication of the concentration of radioactive particles.

The real danger is being played down and ignored by focusing on "safe" radiation levels and exposure. It is intentional as the public is likely, as a whole, to be uninformed on the matters of radiation.

SH

edit on 9-6-2011 by SherlockH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33
Has anyone tested the soil/drainage systems on North America's west coast with a personal Geiger counter?
The problem on North America's West coast can't be detected with a Geiger counter, but it has been measured using air filters and the results are disturbing, and discussed in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

West coasters are breathing in about 5 "hot" radioactive particles a day, and they don't show up on Geiger counters, they are too small and spaced too far apart to trigger the Geiger counter, but they are still enough to cause cancer.

Edit: Very related to Sherlock's post above, he's absolutely correct.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but why are these levels dangerous?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Y is media silent...Why is this not front page news everywhere!?
JAPAN May Become UNINHABITABLE Forever.
edit on 9-6-2011 by smartbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I've been watching the radiation readouts for the Fukushima reactors for weeks now and the readouts at reactor 1 have been quite alarming. You can see them here:

atmc.jp...

Reactor 1 is currently at 224 Sv/h, a truly frightening number. It has been bouncing between 50 and 250 for the last several weeks. It is not clear where the reading is being taken, but probably inside the primary containment. For comparison, the current maximum permissible dose to radiation workers is 20 mSv per year averaged over five years (LINK). 20 mSv = .02 Sv, so thats .02 Sv/year. So if the max allowable exposure is .02 Sv per YEAR and reactor 1 is reading 224 Sv per HOUR, well you can see the danger is quite staggering. Granted that reading is probably inside the enclosure and the levels are no doubt lower outside it, but it gives you an idea of the powderkeg they're sitting on there. Reactor 2 has a much lower (but still quite dangerous) reading of 27 Sv/h while reactor 3 reads 5.9 Sv/h.
edit on 9-6-2011 by SavedOne because: Added link

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
0.11 microsieverts per hour as shown in the beginning isn't dangerous, it's normal background.

But the patch of dirt registers about 45-50 times the background radiation. You can calculate how much that increases your risk of getting cancer.

Call it 5 extra microsieverts per hour, over the course of a year you would get about 44 millisieverts per year above background which is 4400 millirem.

Cancer risk is 1 in 4 million per millirem, so multiply 4400 by 1/4000000 and you get a 1.1 chance in 1000 of developing cancer from that additional exposure, per year. source

That assumes you'd be right next to that source of radiation which would happen if you're sleeping on the ground, which you're not, so the real risk would be lower, except for one thing. If you kick up any of that dust or dirt, and breathe in any tiny particles (that's actually happening in Tokyo) then your actual risk from inhaling those particles is even higher. They are breathing in about 10 radioactive particles per day in Tokyo, and about 5 per day in Seattle. That's where the big risk is.

And of course eating anything grown where the ground is contaminated is a big additional risk. If the plant absorbs the radiation, and it's inside the plant, you can't wash it off, then you eat it, and you may get cancer.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

It looks like his gauge is reading out in uSv/h (the upper number). His air readings of .10 uSv/h are well within the norm (normal in America is 0.34 uSv/h). It goes up quite a bit when he sets it on the ground though, it goes over 5.5 uSv/h. If exposed to that level for a 24 hour period it would equal 132 uSv or .000132 Sv. People don't start showing health problems until exposed to .25 Sv or more in a 24 hour period, so the readings don't appear to be anything to be alarmed about for now. But the cumulative effects are something to be concerned about if they don't get it under control soon.

edit on 9-6-2011 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Many apologies for the double post.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Karilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I think that radioactive material has been leaking through the bottom of at least one of the reactors for quite a while now. I think this has been contaminating the groundwater, which is then affecting the radiation levels in the ground.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Contamination is in the sewage in Tokyo. Sewage treatment plants that normally grout sewage have stopped accepting it because of the contamination and Japan is running out of the storage space for it.

I don't know if I'd call it "deadly levels" though, but it is there.

I'll try to find a link to where I read that... it's on a technical site somewhere...

Ok, I found an ABC News article about it, it's not where I originally read it though.

Japan running out of room for radioactive sewage

Toxic radioactive caesium has been found in sludge at a treatment plant in Fukushima, while radioactivity has also been found in sewage in Tokyo.

edit on 9/6/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join