It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly Levels of Radiation Detected in Tokyo at Ground Level

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Do you know how many hot particles we would be inhaling per day in the Great lakes Region? In North America.! Specifically the Eastern Lakes.

Because i am wondering how much less(most-likely) or more it is than the west coast.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

It probably most depends on where the Fallout Landed. So i'd surmise some areas would show little radiation and others a ton of radiation!

Lets hope They can get this plant under control it doesn't look like its happening any time soon though. More radiation Nuclear fuel melted through core containment ITS BAD VERY BAD

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I just realized one of the videos states its precise location: Kashiwa- Chiba, 26K from Tokyo.

Have you been there?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by TrappedSoul

I can't see how. Radiation is light speed. It's not exactly something that takes that long and that close to turn on.

The geiger tube will conduct electricity each time a particle or photon of radiation hits it. When there is not much radiation (background) there can be a delay up to several seconds between each hit. This is why such a instrument measures radiation by looking at the average of hits per minute for example. So when going from low radiation to higher radiation it takes some time for the average reading to stabilize and show the proper result.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I just realized one of the videos states its precise location: Kashiwa- Chiba, 26K from Tokyo.

Have you been there?

No.

I have heard the radiation in the East is slightly worse than that in the central and western part of the city. But this is the first thing I have seen anywhere outside of Fukushima itself with those kinds of numbers. No other readings in that area are anything close to that. This, to me suggests he is either faking it, or he his machine is broken, or perhaps he has stumbled upon an anomalous cloud or "hot spot" of radiation. If the latter, we need to know about it and to determine how many such places there are.

I have been taking regular readings in Central Tokyo and they basically tally with other independent geiger readings as well as the "official" readings. This suggests to me that wild statistical outliers such as the guy in the OP are more likely to be mistaken. Not certain -- more likely.

I have no agenda to push here. I am open to the possibility of every outcome, from world-destroying disasater to "no big deal." I am currently operating under the assumption that the worst results will emerge in the long-term rather than medium- or short-term, because that is what all the evidence has pointed to so far. But if I get evidence to the contrary, I will be happy to change my evaluation.

This is no game for me, I cannot afford to be self-indulgent, to adhere to what I want to be true rather than what actually is true. Life and money are on the line here. What matters most to me at this point is the truth -- be it good, bad, ugly, or just plain boring.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Fair enough.

I think it likely the levels would be different from street corner to street corner. I'm searching the net now for similar examples at an identifiable location where you might even kindly offer to verify the readings....

Are you game?
edit on 10-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

If you can get me a location within central tokyo (within yamanote line) I will check it out within in the next 6 hours and post photos of me holding my geiger close to the ground or what have you.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
This is no game for me....

I'm sure it isn't. This must be a very stressful time for you, regardless what is true.

I feel very badly for you.

Originally posted by silent thunder
If you can get me a location within central tokyo (within yamanote line) I will check it out within in the next 6 hours and post photos of me holding my geiger close to the ground or what have you.

I'm sorry. I'm not very knowledgeable of the local geography.

This video is from Kashiwa's JR train station. Is that easily accessible to you?

Otherwise, I will continue to search.

edit on 10-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks for your sympathy...I'm doing fine, actually. "Going long" on Japan when everyone was freaking out and rushing for the exits has been a major win for me so far. We'll see if the luck holds up.

Sorry but Chiba is too far out of the loop for me.

There have been some higher-than-average reports from Shinjuku recently (although nothing as high as the guy in the OP), so that's an area I keep meaning to check out again. I measured it a few weeks ago and it seemed fine, but I will hit it again. If there is anything out of the ordinary, I will let you know.

In the meantime, thanks for the continued interest.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I hate to have to post this.... but..... just a heads up for those who may not remember or be aware....

Silent Thunder is the member whom also posted this thread; Greetings from Downtown Tokyo: An ATS Member Reports back after the earthquake and Tsunami where he downplayed it as if he were in the Tokyo tourism business or something with statements such as this:

I shall sit here sipping this fine champagne room service sent up and then I shall enjoy some doomsday relaxation with my winsome companion. Such relaxation, my friends, will undoubtedly take the form of a game of scrabble or some such.

Posting this info so that others can judge for themselves how credible they wish to find him and any readings he gets. Just for FYI.

This is not intended as any personal attack or flame. I just can't trust anyone who writes like he did then when there was such devastation and death. It didn't seem to bother some members...... but others, like myself, ..... well, I'll never forget.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dreams n chains

Ever been in a life-threatening situation? How did you react?

Champaigne, scrabble, materialism, and pretentious writing work for me.

What works for you?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by whoelse

reply to post by TrappedSoul

Well the thing is. Those same cheap scanners and others in a video some time ago about a bunch of folks who ventured straight into the heart of the dead zone were pretty concise in their readings, and they were traveling miles at a time. The readings stayed pretty concise for the local area, slowly growing more radioactive as they got closer. I cannot fathom how the technology would vary so little in that car as it traveled across a huge volume of space, but a puddle reading can't get high until it's on the ground, and then it slowly grows.

I mean, it's not even that it's random. It's clearly slowly increasing, as if by placing the device on the land causes all radioactive isotopes to suddenly grow in strength. If it were random and not so obviously made to look like it's slowly growing as they get closer, I would agree. But it's not random. It's clearly growing. So unless this reader has a radius of a foot of accurate readings, which btw makes it hardly reliable, I don't see this as real.
edit on 10-6-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
The mainstream media, atleast in America, refuses to cover this.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Ha Ha Ha! And here I am flying over to Tokyo next week to visit an American friend who I hadn't seen in years. Having no idea how to be careful about any sort of radiation, she already went walking in the rain without an umbrella. I know that here in South Korea, you don't do that because the rain is really nasty and we had some small amounts of radiation in the rain already, so I'm assuming it's a bit worse in Tokyo. I've got no real idea how to protect myself from whatever radiation is there, but I'm doing research.

It's been said here that inhaling radioactive particles is going to do a lot of damage. Would wearing one of those cloth face masks help filter it any?
edit on 10-6-2011 by ArgentumAquila because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I thank you for bringing this to light. I cannot thank you enough. I was curious about the way he acted as if nothing was wrong; and all was dandy.

I would be worried if i were in Japan right now anywhere in Japan for that matter.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by e11888

Agreed. The MSM is hush about this.

Its actually rather disturbing that they aren't speaking about it.

I suppose they think other trivialities in America supersede the severity of this tragedy

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse

I thank you for bringing this to light. I cannot thank you enough. I was curious about the way he acted as if nothing was wrong; and all was dandy.

I would be worried if i were in Japan right now anywhere in Japan for that matter.

Umm so let me get this straight ? You discredit a person because he was not running around panicking and calling end of the world instead remaining calm and rational
What was he supposed to do ? Put on a cape a mask and go save the city ? Would You be so kind and elaborate on your logic ?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Meh, I've already been raked over the coals on ATS for my supposedly inhuman and sociopathic ways. I got over it. But I don't particularly want to re-live all that, so I'd like to remind posters that according to ATS terms and conditions, we are supposed to discuss the posts, not the posters. I realize there is some overlap there, especially in eyewitness accounts, and its perfectly reasonable for people to question my info for all sorts of reasons.

Despite my numerous eccentricities and failings, I have, in actual fact, delivered to ATS a number of photographs, reports, and radiation readings taken personally from Tokyo at various points in the last 3 months. Of what ultimate value they are, I leave it to every individual to decide for themselves. And if something else happens, or if I get an anomalous reading from my geiger, or any other information that doesn't tally with the consensus agreement, I will be sure to let ATS know. To date, I have not received any such info, but I remain vigilant.

edit on 6/10/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

lol... you find someone less credible because they aren't taking some random guy on youtube's word as 100 percent truth?

Deny ignorance,,,,,

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
This is a very sad situation.

The thing is, officialdom has very little experience in dealing with radiation exposure on a mass scale. It is a silent killer. A stealth killer.
I liken the threat posed by this to that of mercury, and later asbestos, but on a far far greater scale. People worked with mercury for a very long time before they realised how dangerous it was. The term 'mad as a hatter' originated from the process of using mercury to make Top-Hats worn by english toffs shiny. The mercury caused brain damage in the people who carried out the process , sending them mad.
In the UK asbestos is still killing today, as a result of exposure decades ago. Exposure from contruction, appliances, car brake linings, etc etc. Officialdom initially downplayed the risks by instgating rumours that only blue asbestos was a real threat, but they knew full well that there was no 'safe' type of asbestos. It was just that the logistics of removing such a hazard on such a large scale was unthinkable - both logistically and economically. So they didn't. Only in recent times has the problem been properly acknowledged and dealt with.

But asbestos is easily identified, easily contained, and confined to an immediate area. Not so radiation.

Radiation is not something that large numbers of people would ordinarily come into contact with, aside from so-called 'background radiation'. Sure, on small scale, and in predictable scenarios precautions can be taken. That's why your dentist leaves the room or steps behind a shield when they take an x-ray of your teeth. But how do you protect an entire country (and beyond) from a threat that cannot even be detected without specialized equipment ?

Once again, the appropriate action would be unthinkable, both logistically and economically, and of course the real effects of this travesty are not going to show up for good while yet. How convenient then, that whilst the authorities stick their heads in the sand, the people that it is affecting now carry on in blissful ignorance.

Of course, the humanitarian thing to to is to evacuate Japan. In it's entirety.
But we all know the such a course of action is never going to happen.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure it was a bad idea to set up a nuclear reactor in an earth quake prone area. how did they not forsee this?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join