It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the White Working Class is the Most Alienated and Pessimistic Group in American Society.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Why the White Working Class is the Most Alienated and Pessimistic Group in American Society.

nationaljournal.com

The demographic eclipse of the white working class is likely an irreversible trend as the United States reconfigures itself yet again as a “world nation” reinvigorated by rising education levels and kaleidoscopic diversity. That emerging America will create opportunities (such as the links that our new immigrants will provide to emerging markets around the globe) and face challenges (including improving high school and college graduation rates for the minority young people who will provide tomorrow’s workforce).

Still, amid all of this change, whites without a four-year college degree
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-6-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Remember when there were four men on a garbage truck, now there is one with a mechanical arm. Already millions, worldwide, have been made redundant and eliminated from the economic process and this has occurred in almost every industry and sector. Eliminated or reduced jobs include bank tellers, security guards, operators, clericals and secretaries, travel agents, printers, salesmen, gas station attendants, conductors, longshoremen, the jobs in manufacturing and food processing, and so on it goes. The replacement jobs are no great shakes, usually lower pay and often temporary. This is creeping into the higher skilled jobs too. Who would have thought that accounting jobs and engineering would be impacted, even some legal functions, and medical tasks?
The Wall Street Journal had an article on Technological Unemployment: "Is Your Job an Endangered Species?" Lots of decent folks will be left behind, like the sad partisan hacks of the right and left, whose pathetic solutions are so 20th century. Technology is a double edged sword; it creates new jobs (high end and low end) while destroying others (mid level skilled). What I am describing is WAGE POLARIZATION and the demise of the midlevel skilled jobs that were the backbone of the middle class taxpayer and consumer. Even if there is not a whole lot government can do; it certainly cannot turn back the clock, isn't it way past time to at least confront the issue and have a forthright and open dialogue about the consequences?

nationaljournal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The article doesn't mention, nor take into consideration current economic standings with those surveyed.

For example, let's say that the majority of whites are middle and upper-middle class. What is beyond upper-middle class; wealthy and rich. I doubt middle and upper-middle class whites easily believe their children to attain wealth and richness. More than likely, these middle and upper-middle class whites realistically believe their children to attain middle and upper-middle class instead of becoming wealthy and rich.

Let's say that the majority of minorities are poverty level and lower-middle class. How easy is it to believe their children to surpass them by becoming middle and upper-middle class?

Just my opinion, but the article seems to lack all factors needed to present a strong and direct argument. I sense the article is just trying to play the race game in the most simplistic of information gathering.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yet people keep voting for politicians who's only goal is to make certain the wealthy and the corporations get the power and money to destroy the middle class. Just astonishing
edit on 2-6-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

I was having a similar conversation with a friend last night. We were discussing the economy, and how we didn't think it was getting much better.

Our observations boiled down to the topIc of jobs. With not many jobs available these days it seems we are headed to more service oriented employment pool. Unlike after the great depression, when manufacturing jobs were still around, and were the backbone to recovery, today we have no manufacturing. And in my opinion, we will not reboot that sector anytime soon either.

Those jobs have gone never to return, we just can't compete.

So what is left is service sector jobs. As more and more of us turn to these jobs, as they are all that is left, the market will be flooded, and thus driving wages even further in the ground.

So, what we end up with is a society of wealthy individuals, who have a staff of caretakers, from cooks, to childcare workers, gardeners to maids, who make less than minimum wage.

And it will only get worse from there. Just my 2c.

And I do not think it has much or anything to do with race.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

You are right, and globalization is ALSO about eroding the wages for labor. So technology helps reduce the need for human labor, and globalization makes it cheaper when it is needed.

Nothing we are doing is for the good of "people." Or "society" in any real way. Efficiency in production should have made things better for the worlds people, but inefficiencies in the markets caused by oligopolies, and monopolies and the golden rule have more than eliminated the good of production efficiencies.

When the suffering reaches a high enough level, maybe people will really want to change and do better. Until things get really, really horrible, however, nothing will change. People simply do not care enough for each other to fight for the benefit of "people." They are so busy trying to game the system for their own ends that they dont want the system to change so that it can be fairer and better for all.

Even the poor dont want a good, just, equitable system. The vast majority of all people WANT a rigged game. They just want to be on the side of that rigged game that benefits from the rigging.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Nicely said.

We can discuss economics, demographs, politics, education, and even "conspiracy theories," regardless the point if you continue further you just end up 360 degrees right at the door step of the international central banks. America's founders tried so hard to warn against the elite bankers.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
Yet people keep voting for politicians who's only goal is to make certain the wealthy and the corporations get the power and money to destroy the middle class. Just astonishing
edit on 2-6-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

Its because of the "American dream." They vote for people who rig the game against them, because they are sold the idea that they too can be on the side raking in all the big money, when in fact, the vast majority of them never will, nor could they the way the system is set up.

Certainly not by "working hard." Working hard is the worst way to get ahead. Cheating is the way most people actually do.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I am sorry i am not seeing a decline in security jobs. If anything I am seeing an uptick in security jobs where I am at. And I mean I see this as alomst a bad thing. because I see just any and everyone being a security guard. where if it is a 5,4 woman being a security gaurd or a dude who is startin off into never never land with a clip board in his hand.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You want to see disenfranchised make a trip through the Appalachia corridor. It is absolutely astounding the kind of living conditions people are living in up there, makes you think of Africa in America. Shacks made out of nothing, meth rampant and the majority without electricity, the ability to read, and a lot of kids left to fend for themselves while their parents are out in coal country, or stuck in a drug house or in jail. It's a shame that people do not pay attention to this.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Dont worry ,the military will soon have plenty of work for everyone.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
That article is a crock of racist anti white sh ONE t, sugar coating the US' inevitable decline into 2nd world status with the racist, and frankly ridiculous suggestion that by diminishing the white percentage of the US population you will somehow improve the place.

People who write this sort of propaganda need to be questioned when the revolution comes

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
the destruction of the middle class is by our own government

and when they back those policies and keep them in office.

the champions of the middle class are the ones destroying them its not the evil corporations.

when that party controls the financial world,manufacturing,education this is the result.

taxes,unions,regulations,people, education and money.

success goes to where the money and the people resources are and that sure the hell isnt this country.

look at the rise of china look at what they have and we dont have.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
and that sure the hell isnt this country.

look at the rise of china look at what they have and we dont have.

Billions of people and no restrictions against exploiting their labor almost to the point of slaving them? The same thing India has which makes it so attractive?

Lets face it, the only thing those countries have that we dont is lots of bodies, and little protections for them. And anyone who suggests we should be more like them is just proposing a race to the bottom for the worlds working people. Which is stupid.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

i am not aruging that china is a crappy place

but they have the money and they have the people who are better educated to a certian degree and willing to do whatever for a paycheck.

and they have a more business friendly enviorment to a degree.

money and business have left this country by the governments own hands.

people try to dehumanize corporations and banks but guess what what the most important element in those are the people who work and run them.

what is stupid is failing to recognize the root causes of the demise of the wealth in this country and do nothing to address those issues.
edit on 2-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

and they have a more business friendly enviorment to a degree.

To a degree? In a lot of cases, their government subsidizes various industries to give them an unfair competitive advantage over businesses in other nations, and yes, allowing slave labor or close to it is "business friendly."

money and business have left this country by the governments own hands.

Honestly? You really dont see the bigger picture. Money and business left this country because government DID what they wanted. They (government) made it much more possible for them to import good from countries who use slave labor, for instance, without penalty, which undermined our domestic labor force more than you could ever realize. Government couldnt give industry slave labor in the US. Its a democracy. We would vote against it. Although we have been handing out billions of dollars in welfare checks to them, and essentially have been leaving the southern border open so they can get CLOSE to slave labor.

Business has not left the US because government has been hard on them. It has left the US because for the first time really since we have been a nation, we have given them everything they want, and the right to use us while contributing nothing. And so they contribute nothing and use us.

people try to dehumanize corporations and banks but guess what what the most important element in those are the people who work and run them.

Corporations arent human. Its perfectly right to "de humanize them." Employee are employees. They are not "the corporation" and they do not have free reign over how that corporation operates.

what is stupid is failing to recognize the root causes of the demise of the wealth in this country and do nothing to address those issues.

I completely agree. I just differ with you entirely on what is causing the demise of the health of our economy. You are mouthing the corporate line, "they are oppressing us and thats why things are bad." Im looking at reality, which is, things have never been better for the wealthy and corporations, and the better it gets for them, the worse it gets for the rest of us. And there is a reason for that. Which I understand. In detail.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

To a degree? In a lot of cases, their government subsidizes various industries to give them an unfair competitive advantage over businesses in other nations, and yes, allowing slave labor or close to it is "business friendly."

someone earning $100k or $200k consider themselves to be slave labor

Honestly? You really dont see the bigger picture. Money and business left this country because government DID what they wanted. They (government) made it much more possible for them to import good from countries who use slave labor, for instance, without penalty, which undermined our domestic labor force more than you could ever realize. Government couldnt give industry slave labor in the US. Its a democracy. We would vote against it. Although we have been handing out billions of dollars in welfare checks to them, and essentially have been leaving the southern border open so they can get CLOSE to slave labor.

i agree with government does what they want but they do it at peer pressure of whatever keeps them in power to get and maintain their votes but what your saying is bigger government is needed and its not the governments place they are the root cause of the problems in this country.

a free market is suppose to be free and its not we all know that and the us is not a democracy it is a REPUBLIC.
votes are nothing more than mob rule and they always screw over the minority..

Business has not left the US because government has been hard on them. It has left the US because for the first time really since we have been a nation, we have given them everything they want, and the right to use us while contributing nothing. And so they contribute nothing and use us.

i disagree with this because it has been the government that has made business and finance the most evil thing in this country everything for rules,regulations,taxes,worksmans comp,litigation hell you name it of what business and finance has to put up with and that increases with everyday passing.

Corporations arent human. Its perfectly right to "de humanize them." Employee are employees. They are not "the corporation" and they do not have free reign over how that corporation operates.

disagree agian they are made up of people just like you and me trying to make a living in this world but no you cant the government reserves the right of how much you can pay,how much you can charge,where you can and cant do business, to who you can and cant hire and so forth.

thats a big problem.

we are going to disagree here of the root causes but government is the cause and the people with the mob mentailty who are spoon fed and will not open their eyes.

the corporate line business can not do anything in this country without the government nod.

the only thing in this country that is oppressing anyone is the us government.,

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
To blame it all on government is naive.

The long lines at Walmart demanding cheap (in every aspect) products didn't help it along either.

Let's face, the entire cultural change from 'build it right or build it twice' to 'lowest bidder wins' is what killed it.

I would say equal parts government, employer, employee, and consumer.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

someone earning $100k or $200k consider themselves to be slave labor
Who are you talking about?

i agree with government does what they want but they do it at peer pressure of whatever keeps them in power to get and maintain their votes but what your saying is bigger government is needed and its not the governments place they are the root cause of the problems in this country.

This is how I know you are just repeating propaganda. I never said we need "bigger government." At all. And if you ever get around to actually reading some of the founding economic philosophers like Adam Smith, you will see that he was NOT against regulation. His argument was more along the lines of Occams razor which people similarly butcher all to hell when they use it. Its not "the less regulation the better." As much as "the very least regulation necessary to ensure the market functions efficiently." Ayn Rand seems to be a huge contributor to the "the less regulation the better" but its a total misunderstanding of WHY a "free market" works and what can and will go wrong in that market IF there is not enough checks on the participants.

a free market is suppose to be free and its not we all know that and the us is not a democracy it is a REPUBLIC.
votes are nothing more than mob rule and they always screw over the minority..

More propaganda. What is ironic is the very people mooing the loudest about "free markets" (the big money in those markets) and also the ones trying their damndest to regulate the crap out of other players in that market, us. Labor. They want to reserve the right to form collectives, (corporations) while at the same time, absolutely destroying OUR right to do the same. They want regulations on THEIR competitors, and laws to protect their property, intellectual property, and for the people to pay to enforce those rights and laws, while successfully lobbying for the right to seize OUR property because they can make better economic use of it than we can. ]

You need to stop just repeating tag lines and really look and learn the theory that underlies those tag lines. What you will find is that they say one thing, but what they really want is not what they say they want at all. Its double speak.

i disagree with this because it has been the government that has made business and finance the most evil thing in this country everything for rules,regulations,taxes,worksmans comp,litigation hell you name it of what business and finance has to put up with and that increases with everyday passing.

No, they really havent. Thats what the corporate owned media spouts at you. Things have never been better for corporations and the wealthy in the US. And they posted record profits this year to prove it.

edit on 2-6-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

I would say equal parts government, employer, employee, and consumer.

I do agree with you. The consumers have had a hand in their own demise for certain. Greed, on all levels, is killing America.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join