It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three arrested, accused of illegally feeding homeless

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

ok i rephrase but my point still stands.

At the end of the day if those people CHOOSE to help the homeless by feeding them or whatever then thats their business. They aint hurting anyone. I find it utterly stupid and saddening that a law/statue tells me who i can and cannot feed- with my own food- made by me or bought by me.

tbh theirs more important things the police or whoever could be doing than going around arresting people for feeding other people

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

because something given has no value then if the person earns it then its a different story.

reply to post by unicomsol

no how its done today is just steal from someone else and give the "entitlement" to someone too lazy and too stupid do change their own situtations hoping they they go away but they never do.

47 million people are on food stamps in this country thats up 14 million since obama took over.

do you get that? 47 million people who have their hands out with a tomorrow no better than today.

i just love how much you think you know me and made those assumptions a classic attack to marginilize someone with a different viewpoint than you.

something tells me your stance my money and my time is whatever you think is should be.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
no how its done today is just steal from someone else and give the "entitlement" to someone too lazy and too stupid do change their own situtations hoping they they go away but they never do.

Is that what you do?

You never answered the question. how many homeless people have you hired or helped to get a job? you said you come ffrom the teach a man to fish school...well, how about it? how many have you taught to fish? how many have you helped get a job?

I stand by my assumption. I suggest you have not helped a single homeless person get a job, nor hired one. I think your statement therefore is false, and you are a dishonest person. am I wrong?

incidently, not saying your not a good person overall..don't take this as an attack. dishonest people make up the majority of the world, people like to pay lip service to ideas while never walking the walk.

As far as entitlement programs...once the government decides to stop giving food stamps to big oil companys and other giant corporate overlords, then I will listen to the complaints that some dirt poor guy can afford to get noodles on the tax payers dime...until then, I have little tolerance for such nonsense talk.

Anyhow, I look forward to your list of homeless men you taught how to fish. I also look forward to UFOs coming to "take me home". not sure which will come first though.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

because something given has no value then if the person earns it then its a different story.

Wanted to respond to that also
I actually agree to a point. Earned stuff is far sweeter than given stuff..

however, to say no value is incorrect...land, love, and life is given...and it becomes devalued when its then subject to capitalist tendencys...renting, diamonds, and doctors devalues the original.

And finally, a person is not homeless because its a awesome way of life...

Tell me something, if you see a person fall over a ship, do you hold up a life raft and tell the person sinking to earn it by doing tricks, or do you toss it down to the person in hopes of saving the person from immediate catastrophy? you just "gave" that raft without question to someone in need...does that mean he will forever just float on the raft, or will he then use that break to try and get back on the ship?

your full of retoric, but the real world examples tend to fall flat. I know people are programmed to see what they want to see, however, do you even acknowledge that the retoric you speak may have its flaws?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

you stand by your elitist attitude

and if your keeping score of people who you supposedly helped then your doing it for the wrong reasons.

i have helped many people but i dont keep score.

so come now use your score card and enlighten the readers of ats on how many people you have helped

just so you can pat yourself on the back.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Absolutely awesome how it can be illegal to give life!!
Whoever passed this ordinance should be stabbed in the .... with a spoon!
I cannot testify to the constitutional legality but I can testify to the morality of this lawless law.
Better option, get a business license for a hot dog style cart and sell food for hugs!
F the city!

Criminal....

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Im sorry, but does anyone else think it is completely wrong to have a streaming mugshot blogger on this papers website!!!????

let alone the fact these people were arrested for feeding the homeless, there should be incentive to do community service not laws to prevent it.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I see a teach a man to fish argument here.
Lemme fix it quick.
I teach a man to fish, buy him a pole and bait and hooks.
He goes to a dock and is arrested and equipment confinscated PERMANENTLY as he can not pay the tax, a fishing license...
Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

you stand by your elitist attitude

My attitude was trying to get truth out.

is truthseeking an elitist attitude?

I guess I am elitist then.

Actually, if you want to consider "elitism", it would be someone whom turns their backs on the "lessers" in society and ignores the request for food. by that standard, you seem more fitting of the title. As you said, you are "better" than them.

You are the one that has to look at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day however. I judge your view on this to be lacking, simplistic, and dishonest...but thats just this single viewpoint...not you as a total..you might be a great person to know.
I personally believe that life often gives people perspective. As you grow, I simply put this blessing on you. "May you understand through experience what you stand for in life"

Enjoy

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

who is trying to impose their morality on who here?

who exactly is the lesser of society? and who turns their backs on who?

and come on now just how many people have you helped?

since you made it the issue.

every single post in this thread was an effort to make me the topic of the thread.

why? because your morality is better than mine.

i can live with myself just fine dishonest that is laughable,simplistic laughable,lacking not hardly.

last but not least I AM NOT THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD, continuation of that stupidity is nothing but trolling.

edit on 2-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
What everyone is forgetting is why statutes like this are passed. Some rich dude called his city councilman and told him that homeless were hanging out in the park by his house, and they were being encouraged and fed, so they stayed. Rich dude then asked that his councilman pass an ordinance that forbid feeding the homeless in the park, so that they would go away, and his property value would not further deteriorate.

Greed is the underlying issue in most of our social problems, that and the "I got mine, now you get yours" attitude that is constantly shown everywhere. Material possessions have become the most important thing in our country, and it really makes me sad to see it.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
People still need food, guys and gals, regardless of giving fish and fishing poles out and free lessons on how to use them properly and effectively, and regardless of law and statute and ordinance and morality.

Rephrase with italics for that 'emphasis' factor:
Humans, however, nevertheless, withal, yet, all the same, even so, nonetheless, notwithstanding, require certain nourishment(s) to sustain biological processes that postpone the inevitable.

Pinch that ordinance.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

who is trying to impose their morality on who here?

Well, technically, its the state of florida imposing their morality (or lack thereof) on the people in question

who exactly is the lesser of society? and who turns their backs on who?

in society, all are equal as a rule, however, people do have less and more. the haves and have nots so to speak. this is the norm in society sadly.
As far as who turns their back on who? well, not to go biblical on you, but well...check out the bible actually. Since you got your fishing story from there, perhaps you can read a bit about the good samaritan
What your saying is to avoid the man laying in the road...which is sort of the opposite of christ's teachings.

now, don't think I am bible thumping here...I am an atheist actually, but I do know a good story when I hear it.

and come on now just how many people have you helped?

Lots over life...both with quick food, and directly hiring homeless..but thats not the point. Some people want a free ride, sure...but to say anyone with their hand out = weak willed useless parasites is so incredibly misleading and untruthful that its almost laughable.
the homeless people I have hired were simply down on their luck...actually, one of them was a diehard conservative that kept calling me a "liberal puke". lol...we were actually friends, but when it came to political discussions, we were polar opposites (of course I had colorful words for his worldview also...but again, we were friends, politics aside).
He did however see how my helping him out was not something he would have done personally with his worldview before he fell from the grace of his family business...he was a decent worker. I even helped him and his girlfriend get a house. His buddy (they were together when I hired them to work construction in 2005) was actually a great worker...guy was gold in smelly old clothes whom used the opportunity to bring himself up rapidly and ended up getting a really decent job in illinois. but, both of these people were your basic homeless guys initially.

since you made it the issue.

Well, the issue is methods on helping, not how many have you helped. I brought it up because you said you go by the teach a man to fish way of doing things. As I suspected, that is untrue...it is often untrue that neocons will ever help out anyone poor because neoconservatism is founded on the idea that they are the haves and any help at all means somehow betraying your core philosophy.
so, I called you out on it...and rightfully so, you are unable to honestly discuss how you are a teach the man to fish type, because you don't believe that either. I say this not in knowledge of you as a person, but neocon thinking in general.
if the shoe fits...

every single post in this thread was an effort to make me the topic of the thread.

Well, in all fairness, you did make some pretty outlandish remarks...from the labelling of someone over a mugshot (like mugshots are glamour shots), to the dishonest remark about yourself as it if was a neocon thought...when it isn't

why? because your morality is better than mine.

Yes. yes it is in this instance. I say that completely from my opinion of course, but yes.
and if I didn't think it was, then I would alter it...but I do believe my sense of morality in this instance is superior to yours, I have examined different ways of looking at it, and this to me seems to be the "good" choice...therefore it is my choice due to its clear superiority to other choices.

again...yes, it is exactly because of that...it is better than yours.

i can live with myself just fine dishonest that is laughable,simplistic laughable,lacking not hardly.

well, at least we can all laugh...laughing is good

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

As long as you have a permit for that fishing pole and your not doing it after dark in a public park then we have no problems.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
While I agree that this is a dispicable story and that these people should lauded not arrested, I do see the point of the statute. It's a public park, paid for and maintained by local taxes and the locals probably wanted to take back their park.

If the homeless repeatedly gather and linger, even sleep there it inhibits residents from jogging, dog walking or allowing children to toss a fisbee. They feel uncomfortable allowing their children in the sand box or playing on the swings.

People like to hang out at parks after work and enjoy a beer with freinds after a long day. Not all, but a lot of homeless talk to themselves, pee in the bushes, drink alcohol from paper bags, do drug deals, and solicit tricks. I have seen this happen in neighborhood parks.

SOLUTION:
"Food Not Bombs" should solicit a church to collaberate and host their program and the problem would be solved.

edit on 2-6-2011 by windword because: sp

edit on 2-6-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Somewhat agree with you.
But definately a star for thinking of solutions rather than arguments.

You rock.
(Edit)
I would open a church in the rich end of town, just to see the homeless parade up and down the streets of the rich elitist jerks.

edit on 2-6-2011 by g146541 because: to add.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Well, technically, its the state of florida imposing their morality (or lack thereof) on the people in question

techincally speaking i am not the state of florida just how many you's and what was directed at me? if you have read ats terms and conditions the poster is not the topic of the thread now are they? and what is the topic of the thread its not neo96.

in society, all are equal as a rule, however, people do have less and more. the haves and have nots so to speak. this is the norm in society sadly. As far as who turns their back on who? well, not to go biblical on you, but well...check out the bible actually. Since you got your fishing story from there, perhaps you can read a bit about the good samaritan What your saying is to avoid the man laying in the road...which is sort of the opposite of christ's teachings.

people do have more and some people have less that will never change in society but when people try to impose success on others they are taking away from someone else that is a fact and in this day and age not everyone is deserving.

What your saying is to avoid the man laying in the road...which is sort of the opposite of christ's teachings.

please quote the text where i said such a thing or did you twist my post to suit your own needs?

Well, the issue is methods on helping, not how many have you helped. I brought it up because you said you go by the teach a man to fish way of doing things. As I suspected, that is untrue...it is often untrue that neocons will ever help out anyone poor because neoconservatism is founded on the idea that they are the haves and any help at all means somehow betraying your core philosophy. so, I called you out on it...and rightfully so, you are unable to honestly discuss how you are a teach the man to fish type, because you don't believe that either. I say this not in knowledge of you as a person, but neocon thinking in general. if the shoe fits...

i have been called a necon so many times on here and not one has even gotten it right and not one knows the meaning of the word.

Well, in all fairness, you did make some pretty outlandish remarks...from the labelling of someone over a mugshot (like mugshots are glamour shots), to the dishonest remark about yourself as it if was a neocon thought...when it isn't

still dont get it the poster is not the topic of the thread and still do not know the word meaning.

Yes. yes it is in this instance. I say that completely from my opinion of course, but yes. and if I didn't think it was, then I would alter it...but I do believe my sense of morality in this instance is superior to yours, I have examined different ways of looking at it, and this to me seems to be the "good" choice...therefore it is my choice due to its clear superiority to other choices. again...yes, it is exactly because of that...it is better than yours.

sorry but opinions matter little to me on here they are like doorknobs and everyone has got one.

i suggest reading ats terms and conditions and learn how to read and comprehend and a post is a post

its not reading between the lines and its not about twisting a post to suit a meaning you want it to have.

i dont know if you dont like posts your free to rewrite them however you wish.

dont forget this is a two way street most people do not waste their time or thread space on things that have nothing to do with the topic at hand oh for instance the poster.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by windword

Somewhat agree with you.
But definately a star for thinking of solutions rather than arguments.

You rock.
(Edit)
I would open a church in the rich end of town, just to see the homeless parade up and down the streets of the rich elitist jerks.

edit on 2-6-2011 by g146541 because: to add.

Hah, I would actually donate money to see that!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

If you give him a fishing pole he needs to have a fishing license. In order to get that he has to have a picture ID and an address. How would that help the homeless.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by anon102

Following the news, they have passed statutes against churches feeding the homeless in wealthy neighborhoods. I don't have the info at hand, but think this happened in Texas about a year ago, and even here in KC there have been issues about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join