It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harold Camping 'Bewildered' After Failed Doomsday Prediction

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Harold Camping 'Bewildered' After Failed Doomsday Prediction

hken.ibtimes.com

Evans said that according to Camping's wife, the radio broadcaster has no intention of speaking or issuing a statement on Monday.

She described him as being "somewhat bewildered" and "mystified," Evans said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Well isn't that nice. No excuses at all. "Aw shucks folks, I'm just as surprised as y'all."

I'm sure, Harold, I'm sure. Except a lot of your followers have given up their life savings and you...now have $72 million dollars. That makes me a little less sympathetic to your brand of "bewilderment" than the bewilderment of some poor dumb sheep you shore.

Although, I must admit, Harold, that sheep were made for shearing, it's a fact, so I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised. If Harold Camping didn't exist, the dumb masses would have invented him somehow. Even so, this is pretty sordid business for an 89-year-old to be wrapped up in. Shouldn't you be dandling great-grandchildren on your knees rather than emptying the retirement funds of sheep?

Wonder how many suicides there have been, Harold? You keeping count?

hken.ibtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/23/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
That's assuming he was consciously being deceptive.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Indeed, indeed. Camping is a real piece of work and should probably stay inside for a while.

It's gotta suck to be that gullible... wonder if those people are going to start demanding their refunds?...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

You gotta ask yourself though...

Did he cash their checks?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
He looked lost in his own house... how the hell could he lead people to heaven, let alone his own porch ??!?!?!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Nobody -- NOBODY -- gets a hold of, much less holds onto, that much money without being deceptive in some way.

It's certainly possible he has "twinned" his brain into two hermetic halves through doublethink. In fact, its more than possible -- it's likely. The canny old scrap of shoe-leather no doubt believes passionately, sincerely...with one part of his brain. The other part is, of course, embroiled in endless, cold calculations. Pretty common stuff on planet earth, in fact we all lie to ourselves to get by every day in one way or another. You rarely see it blow up in someone's face on such a grand (and simultaneously ridiculous) scale, though.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by xFiDgetx
reply to post by 547000

He probably did to pay for all the advertisements and therefore get worldwide media recognition and get his message out there. If it really was the end of the world the most important thing to do is get the message as fast as, and to many as, possible. I don't think he did it malevolently, but he actually believed it himself.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Assuming that this guy is a true Christian, integrity demands that he do the right thing and hand the money back.

Let's see how this plays out, or do I need to second guess his actions?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
reply to post by 547000

Nobody -- NOBODY -- gets a hold of, much less holds onto, that much money without being deceptive in some way.

It's certainly possible he has "twinned" his brain into two hermetic halves through doublethink. In fact, its more than possible -- it's likely. The canny old scrap of shoe-leather no doubt believes passionately, sincerely...with one part of his brain. The other part is, of course, embroiled in endless calculations. Pretty common stuff on planet earth, in fact we all lie to ourselves to get by every day in one way or another. You rarely see it blow up in someone's face on such a grand (and simultaneously ridiculous) scale, though.

I disagree with your premise. I don't think rich people have to be evil.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

name one multi-millionaire that genuinely does things for other people ... you can't, because capitalism doesn't allow that.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

reply to post by 547000

He probably did to pay for all the advertisements and therefore get worldwide media recognition and get his message out there. If it really was the end of the world the most important thing to do is get the message as fast as, and to many as, possible. I don't think he did it malevolently, but he actually believed it himself.

It's been estimated that his radio station is worth $112mil and that donations exceeded $70mil because of this. The advertising is said to have cost around $1mil... Just 1.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WordPlayJAy
reply to post by 547000

name one multi-millionaire that genuinely does things for other people ... you can't, because capitalism doesn't allow that.

1) Argument from ignorance.

2) You can't see into the hearts of men to see who is genuine and who is phony.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Does anybody have a source on all this "money" I keep hearing about??

I keep hearing he made tons of money on it, but I have not seen a single source backing this up at all.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I think this old cook should be thrown in the hospital, for it is the end of the world for him in a few months i bet. Who agrees with me?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

reply to post by 547000

It's been estimated that his radio station is worth $112mil and that donations exceeded $70mil because of this. The advertising is said to have cost around $1mil... Just 1.

I don't believe that. $1 mil is too low.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
But wait , if you call in the next 30 minutes you get not only one , but two ShamWows for the low , low price of $9.95 . Offer strictly limited to the first 10 million callers . Does not include shipping and handling . I can't see where Harold did anything illegal . There is a sucker born every minute and two to take him . Imagine the billions of dollars that will have changed hands when the human race is still here in 2013 . The hucksters are making fortunes on the gullible idiots in the run up to the 2012 apocalypse that won't happen either . I just wish i had the gall and gift of writing and speaking to separate the sheep from their cash and i admire those who can without actually breaking a law . Just watched a program on the evangelist , Benny Hinn . He owns a Gulfstream jet , has the finest clothes and lives in mansions all on sucker money because God uses him to heal everyone from everything from hemmeroids to dandruff and he rakes in millions . He touches fools and they collapse on stage while the rest of the congregation is howling like wolves emptying their wallets .

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I wonder how long it takes before people start suing his ass like there is no tomorrow . Especially those that lost their savings because of him . Erm, can You sue over deception in the USA ?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
But wait , if you call in the next 30 minutes you get not only one , but two ShamWows for the low , low price of $9.95 . Offer strictly limited to the first 10 million callers . Does not include shipping and handling . I can't see where Harold did anything illegal . There is a sucker born every minute and two to take him . Imagine the billions of dollars that will have changed hands when the human race is still here in 2013 . The hucksters are making fortunes on the gullible idiots in the run up to the 2012 apocalypse that won't happen either . I just wish i had the gall and gift of writing and speaking to separate the sheep from their cash and i admire those who can without actually breaking a law . Just watched a program on the evangelist , Benny Hinn . He owns a Gulfstream jet , has the finest clothes and lives in mansions all on sucker money because God uses him to heal everyone from everything from hemmeroids to dandruff and he rakes in millions . He touches fools and they collapse on stage while the rest of the congregation is howling like wolves emptying their wallets .
I remember seeing something on the history channel about 2012 bomb shelters and such, This certain one is being sold for $750,000 for half a floor, and for a full floor it costs around i think they said, 2 million or something. I think the idiots who pay that much don't deserve to have money anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join