It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Setting on British Power .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Sun Setting on British Power

From Nelson atop his column to Wellington gracing his arch, this city is filled with monuments to the martial glories of an island whose forces once dominated continents and ruled the waves.

Today, though, the relatively modest British intervention in Libya is fueling fresh anxiety here and in Washington about the nation's shrinking military muscle as the U.K. cuts defense spending in response to a record deficit

At a hearing Wednesday before a Parliamentary defense committee, the heads of Britain's army, navy and air force said the U.K. would no longer be a "full spectrum" military force—one capable of both low-intensity combat such as counterinsurgency and the kind of major operations required for state-on-state combat.

Sun Setting on British Power

We in Britain have an illustrious (if you can use that word) military history, but I feel it is high time that we re-evaluate our position in the world.

Our empire is gone, we are not the policeman of the world and we can't go galavanting around the globe getting entangled in messy U.S adventures.

The fact we are now involved in Libya is I feel a disaster in of itself and I feel we only just have the resources to take part in it. The situation in Libya demonstrated how dependent militarily Europe still is on the United States.

The military balance of power is slowly shifting as many NATO members are having to impose drastic defense cuts. Yet in the East China's military spending continues to increase, while Russia recently announced a large expenditure on defense. India too is starting to gradually beef up it's armed forces.

I'm wonder whether there will ever be a true European Union military and what this would mean for the balance of power.

As things stand, with Britain not even having a carrier force, if Argentina was to invade the Falklands again, what could we possibly do to stop them? Britain and France recently agreed to a military cooperation agreement, whereby if I understand correctly, they would share military equipment. I'm not sure how realistic that would be and I'm not too familiar with how well the Falklands are defended to be honest, but what with the state of things today, I very much doubt we could effectively counter such a move from Argentina. To be honest, I find the situation unlikely, but it was just a speculation.

I think Britain should stay away from projecting military force and as things are going it seems like we'll have no choice anyway. Say for example if Europe was overun by Russia (pure hypothetical situation here) then they began (or attempted) an invasion of the UK. How effectively would we manage? Would the United States come and save our bacon? Maybe that's not a very good scenario as it's dependant on a lot of things. But still, some things to ponder....

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
One should never rely on another country to help them.

That being said here are some solutions to improve the budget:

- stop sending foreign aid to dumps like Pakistan and Nigeria.
- impose taxation on British overseas territories and crown dependencies.
- cut back on visas and immigration.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Would the United States come and save our bacon?

Only if you'd remove "Jamie Oliver" from our country.

He's making the school boards go nuts.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
This has been intentioanl for the last century.

link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

I propose we dump him on a remote desolate island somewhere.

link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Care to elaborate on that?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

- impose taxation on British overseas territories and crown dependencies.

We can't do that, we tried it once in the 1700's and it didn't work out so well!!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

My family have been ivolved in the military for over four hundred years. To clarify your statements:- There is no Brittish Army, no Brittish Navy and no Brittish air force . The above are all English - Be honest for once.

Peace

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Like Australia maybe.

Hmmm didn't we try that also. Again didn't work out so well for us back here in the monherland.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by firecircle

That's either sarcasm, hatred of the English or stupidity.....not sure which.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I am sure that the Coldstream Guards, Royal Irish Regiment and the Welch Fusiliers would say different.

What about Black Watch? or the 9/12 Highlanders.

Or the boys up in Lossiemouth. Or Willie and his chums in RAF Valley?

It's fully a British military.
edit on 15/5/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

As things stand, with Britain not even having a carrier force, if Argentina was to invade the Falklands again, what could we possibly do to stop them?

We've spent a small fortune on our nuclear deterrent. Use it. Give them an ultimatum .....

Though I don't believe we'd do it.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I never said I was ashamed -which you seem to be. I'm mereley stating facts that are told to you when you join either of these services. I must then assume you have never served.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

And you sir have no honour

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Having a Navy twice the size of today didn't dissuade the Argentinians from invading in 1982. To that extent it doesn't matter if the Navy has 20 ships or 100, the Navy isn't a deterrent. What matters is whether the British have the ability to re-take those islands again, should that be necessary.

Answer ? No, no they don't. That capability has gone and it won't be until the QE class aircraft carriers enter service that we'd be able to liberate those islands. Unless, of course, the Americans bail us out.

Would Obama help Britain out militarily in such a conflict ? Nope, no chance. He'd be too busy dancing to the tune composed by Jeane Kirkpatrick nearly thirty years ago. US ambassador to the UN, she famously dined & danced the night away at the Argentinian embassy as the Falkland Islands were overrun. Not only did she advocate the US stay neutral in that conflict, she stated that if the Falkland Islands were Argentinian then their invasion couldn't be considered armed aggression.

So could the British rely on the Americans ? Never. As with everything else, Americans only look out for one thing ; themselves. They're a friend when they need help. When you need help it's "cya". Perfidious bastards.

*memo to Argentinian government**invade the Falkland Islands now*

As to Russia invading Western Europe ... with what ? Their armed forces have been even more emasculated than ours. I really can't foresee hordes of wild Russians pouring through the Fulda Gap anytime soon.

Expansion of the Chinese military ? We gave up all things East of Suez in the 1960's. It's not our problem, it really isn't, not unless the security of Australia & New Zealand became an issue.

Anyway, if they didn't waste so much money in the procurement process, perhaps if they bought off the shelf from overseas instead of wasteful & inadequate home grown kit (Nimrod or Type 45, anyone ?), they'd have more toys to play about with.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

I suggest you just stick to posting comments about the topic.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

The colonies are what they are-noting more nothing less.

peace.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Fact is, as much as I like to call it British, it is English. The Scots Irish and Welsh have their own units, but they all fight for the crown.

I'm not anti-english by any means (except when it comes to rugby). We just signed up with the english when we realised that the empire was expanding. now it's gone...
lol.

link   
reply to post by Niall197

As to Russia invading Western Europe ... with what ? Their armed forces have been even more emasculated than ours. I really can't foresee hordes of wild Russians pouring through the Fulda Gap anytime soon.

I know that, that's why I said it was a purely hypothetical situation and would be dependant on many things. Namely Russia having a military capable of doing such a thing.

link   
reply to post by Kram09

Get an education- or if you prefer a life the world is far more complex than it seems you can imagine- I only theorize for to state an axiom is the wisdom of the fool.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join