It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan rules of engagement force U.S. soldiers to free insurgents caught red-handed Read more at th

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Afghan rules of engagement force U.S. soldiers to free insurgents caught red-handed Read more at the Washington Examiner: washingtonexaminer.com...

washingtonexaminer.c om

Several Taliban detainees who had been captured in February after being observed placing bombs in the culverts of roads used by civilians and military convoys near Kandahar were fed, given medical treatment, then released by American troops frustrated by a policy they say is forcing them to kick loose enemies who are trying to kill them.

Despite what American soldiers say was a mountain of evidence, which included a video of the men planting the bomb and chemical traces found on their hands, there was nothing the soldiers who had captured them could do but feed and care for them for 96 hour
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

"We put our lives on the line to capture the enemy," a soldier with the Stryker regiment told The Washington Examiner. "Since my deployment, every insurgent we've captured has been released."

International Security Assistance Forces officials contacted by The Examiner admitted that releases like these were common. The officials said ISAF forces can hold detainees for up to 96 hours, during which time detainees are "screened and a decision is made whether to release the individual, transfer them to appropriate Afghan authorities, or to the detention facility in Parwan [at Bagram Air Base]."

ISAF spokesman Lt. Col. John Dorrian said things are expected to change. He said Afghanistan's Ministry of Interior, supported by Combined Joint Interagency Task Force 435, is implementing a system for fingerprinting captured insurgents.

"This program is going to make a huge difference, dramatically reducing insurgents' ability to hide among the general population," he said. "It will also improve the ability of Afghan and coalition forces to gather evidence of insurgent activity that will hold up in court."

However, the program is not yet operational. Like many plans associated with the Afghan war, there are many potential setbacks ahead.

Troops say top commander Gen. David Petraeus has not fulfilled promises he made to Congress last year to review and, where appropriate, change rules of engagement that have restricted troops' ability to stop the enemy.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: washingtonexaminer.com...

I don't know whats going on here. Is the military and the Obama administration fighting a war or just playing around. Or is there a bigger conspiracy where they want to release those caught to keep the war going which means more money flowing to the arms industry? Are they really trying to prolong the war. Is the war really winnable if they changed it?

washingtonexaminer.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
INtresting... I wonder if there is any relation to the recent issues between Allied forces and the Afghan government. I know they are still trying to find peace with the Taliban, and this might be a part of that process.

IF things dont change, then I dont see why forces dont just engage the enemy while in the act of placing the bomb.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Ah, good ole ROE.

Here's a hint for next time:

1. Turn off camera.
2. Pull trigger.
3. Be prepared for gigantic court-martial, because someone will talk.
edit on 15-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Ah, I am not surprised really - This was a frequent problem in Iraq, too. I would be truly surprised if the current ROE there prevents an individual actively placing a bomb from being engaged, period... But I am not there so who knows what the rules are right now.

Proper sensitive site exploition training can help the units there better know how to collect evidence. They may have had a video, but who's to say the detainee was identifiable in it? Or that the chemical found on their hands wasn't one commonly used in an Afghan home? Anyway, my point is what might seem like 'good enough' evidence to us or to a squad out on a route clearing mission might not be good enough for the (Afghan) courts.

But I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume their evidence was good enough - It's a shame we are being so restricted in the RoE, then. And, Petraeus had better get on that and change it because....

It is now 2011 and we are still there. Why, oh why I don't know but I'm sure it's because there are bombs on the roads that need to be cleared - That are there because we are there - Do you see where this is going? Yeah, an endless cycle.

Finishing note: Imagine being out there, capturing those guys planting bombs, going through the work of detaining, processing, transporting, guarding... And knowing that they will most likely be back out there the next week doing it again, and your butt is the one in the flat bottomed HMMWV rolling down their crummy roads. Would not be fun I bet!
edit on 16-4-2011 by Sek82 because: oh hai

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
THIS IS INSANE!

how do you expect them to keep fighting? i don't get whats the point of being over there if you can't do anything about the people who are trying to kill you.

i swear if some guy like the suicide bomber came at me and the bomb failed to detonate and then i had to release him.......i would quit and be courts marshaled.

what the hell kind of rules of engagement are those? oh i know obamas.

this is seriously infuriating.

bring them back home now!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Lmfao, now this is a surprise.

Something is definitely fishy here...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I still wander what a hack US soldiers are doing in Afghanistan?
Still searching for Bin Laden?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
maybe they have to release the ones with the western payslips in their pockets?

If it is so frustrating,
just get hell out and leave afghanistan to do what it has for centuries.
afterall, it's another illegal war, that the US can't afford, and only benefits corporations.

justice would be better served by flying predator drones up and down Wall Street
just after the exchange closes.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

There is no solution to unjustified invasion.

Go back to your country and stay there, and hope no one bombs you because I swear to god there are billions who do want to bomb you for the B.S. your politicians, your soldiers, and your secret service gets involved with.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I still find it funny when idiots get on here and say we are losing the war. Ummmmm, how the hell do you win with ROE like these? I know, I know, someone will be on here shorttly calling troops murderers etc........is it any wonder why? Sorry, eiter let us do the job at hand or bring us home......course Obama ain't having none of that peaceful dem that he is. EPIC FAIL on the administrations part.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

What Job?

Seriously, what job?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by P3ACE0WAR

There is no solution to unjustified invasion.

Go back to your country and stay there, and hope no one bombs you because I swear to god there are billions who do want to bomb you for the B.S. your politicians, your soldiers, and your secret service gets involved with.

Bomb us soil and that ass is ours

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
maybe they have to release the ones with the western payslips in their pockets?

If it is so frustrating,
just get hell out and leave afghanistan to do what it has for centuries.
afterall, it's another illegal war, that the US can't afford, and only benefits corporations.

justice would be better served by flying predator drones up and down Wall Street
just after the exchange closes.

Agreed. All of it. Our real enemies are the criminals behind the curtain running the show. Wall Street, the central banksters, our bought-and-paid-for-politicians.

They flood our prisons with many people charged with victimless crimes while they traffic narcotics. They engage in massive state-sponsored terrorism and illegal aggressive wars while accusing others of terror. They are spreading nuclear pollution around the world thru DU and they absolutely what the results will be. Murder, torture, kidnapping, secret prisons, rape, theft, illegal wiretaps, forced radiation or molestation, collective punishment, establishing vichy governments, et. al. -- no crime is too petty or too big for them.

At what point will some government or group say enough? Will we become aware of active resistance to our government's crimes when NBC weapons are deployed on our people and government?

edit on 16-4-2011 by tyson because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by P3ACE0WAR

Really?? Can you tell us why its taking so long for billions to bomb us? You know we have millions of immigrants coming to the U.S. and many of them Muslims yet I don't see millions of bombs exploding across the U.S.. Are you sure you are on the same page here with other people around the world? Swearing to God doesn't impress me one bit.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

And which God would that be?
Yup, there goes one more member of the "religion" of peace calling for violence against non believers. Keep proving your point there guy, you're getting really good at it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Really?? Can you tell us why its taking so long for billions to bomb us? You know we have millions of immigrants coming to the U.S. and many of them Muslims yet I don't see millions of bombs exploding across the U.S.. Are you sure you are on the same page here with other people around the world? Swearing to God doesn't impress me one bit.

Did you forget about the fear? America is the most feared nation in the world. One person in village goes against US, the whole village is bombed. There is warrant-less spying going on in US right now, people can be arrested and held indefinitely without any trial, people can be tortured, people can even be killed without any crimes. US is a fascist state, the most powerful fascist state, people fear it, people fear getting caught and getting raped by US guards, the Semper Fi crowd.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Is that a different sort of rape than the alli akbar rape?
Just wondering, maybe your little book of terror will have the answer, I really want to know.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

One person burns a book and others behead people...........yeah, I can see the differences from here.
Give it up...........the example is the same and yet you'll try and refute it with another off topic slag on America all the while ignoring the evil in your own life.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

You are so ignorant that you actually believed that MSM crap that people were beheaded. See what I mean about hatred, it blinds you, the same goes for racism, bigotry and prejudice. You have all those characteristics. No one was beheaded, people were killed, then again people are killed every day in US even though America is the richest nation in the world (?), the strongest nation in the world (?), the freeist nation in the world (?), the most just nation in the world (?).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join