It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet-X/Elenin/2012

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
I don't believe that Planet X or Elenin is gonna come and kill anyone but let me add one thing against your post that your gonna hear from somewhere else if I don't say it. Planet X is suppose to be coming up towards the south pole in every theory I've read. How would these colleges be able to view it if they aren't at some south pole observatory? Just throwing that out there before someone else does.

Your point just highlights that those theories are bollocks. The Earth has an axial tilt of 23.4°. Planet X would have to be weaving all over the southern sky to remain in this imagined south polar blind spot. You'd be able to spot it from most of the southern hemisphere at some point in the year.

But hey... Why let facts and common sence get in the way of a good doomsday yarn.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Underclassmen typically don't get a lot of time on the telescope, even if they're majoring in astronomy or planetary science. When they do, it's usually during class hours, so they don't get but a few minutes of actually looking through the telescope. Furthermore, they don't control what part of the sky the telescope is pointed at. It's you usually a trained faculty member who does that.

Graduate students probably have easier access. But even then you can't just walk in at some random time and hop on the telescope. At the university I attended, you had to reserve the time and a faculty member had to be present.

Graduate or undergraduate, I doubt Planet X comes up very often. Even if they did see it, they probably wouldn't believe it anyway.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

The problem I find with your post is that it's only based on assumptions. I agree that if a student or students were aware of such a conspiracy to hide an in-coming disaster that at least one if not many of them would blow the lid off it. However the real problem is that most rational people assume that someone else is on the ball taking care of it, but how many times do we hear about a near miss object only a day before or even after the object is seen passing by? Who was watching for those? The sky is very large and almost impossible scan 100% of it!

I like the fact however that your intentions are to help people from freaking out through rational thinking, but we should not neglect such possibilities based only on assumptions! It is good for people to think out side the box and examine all possibilities presented and get out of the "Normalcy Bias" that holds us back from new discoveries.

**Please note that I do not mean to attack your thought for it is a very good thought, I only mean to give counter thought!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NyxOne

nice pictures
but if I recall correctly, the person who discovered it said it had a tail of around 900,000 kilometers
not one of those images shows a tail.
I know nothing of comets or their makeup, but from what I was lead to believe is the comet is like a giant dirty snowball.
wouldn't the tail get longer the closer it gets to the sun?
and if it gets longer and it is now closer, why don't wwe have better pictures?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

I sure paid for lacking common sense in my time. I suppose the way folks will pay this go around is finding
they have wasted their time on useless configurations of data and degrees of understanding.
Sure, we all have been programmed..note the psychological states of people with troubled pasts/lives.
How else is it going to function as a whole less some major revolution taking place?
If I had to catagorize myself..hummm let's see
am I a white sheeple, a gray sheeple, a spotted one?? how about psychadelic? nah? not really.
See, you have to be part of something or else you are a loner of sorts.
I'm nearly 60 and I tell you people have been gossiping for years and some are tantalized by danger and
life is a thrill ride with lots of drama. It's all about me, me, me. The quickest way to lose that baggage
is to serve other's genuine needs. Then you can see life as a day to day process of progress rather
than perfection, faith rather than forlorn.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
My take so far:

I've been investigating the "Is Leonid Elenin a code name" angle of the conspiracy, and although I haven't been able to track down anyone who's met him, I have been able to collect some quotes from Elenin and his peers, backing him up. (They all work with him via phone and email.) One of his peers even sent me a new photo of Elenin with his daughter, and two new photos of the comet that his university astronomy students took! I can't share the personal photo of Elenin, but I've shared all my investigation here - www.theufoinquirer.blogspot.com.... So, in addition to confirming that he's most likely a real guy, there are traces of him on the Internet showing up as far back as 2008, and he discovered a few things before the comet and set up his blog a little before the discovery, too.

I still think it's weird I can't find anyone who's met him, that he has such an original and perfect name for conspiracy junkies to pick up on (if you translate the full name literally it SPELLS out the theory, HA!), and that he's been so private and hasn't done some of the obvious things to confirm his identity...do a video interview with a US journalist, etc...so far I can't by this theory.

At the same time, the comet itself keeps getting bigger, even Elenin's friends seem very fascinated with its path (although they don't buy the apocalypse theories, they appeal to the unknown too), and I still find it exceedingly crazy that it's following along the predicted path of Planet X (which has been around before the comet's discovery) and the timing of it all...

We need to focus on all the facts, and really explore them all before jumping to conclusions left and right. I don't trust NASA or the government, not as much as I trust the Mayans. But we've got to start from scratch, not from our imaginations. Stay open minded, but follow the leads in a disciplined way!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
And again, guys, you can see up-to-date pictures of the comet from this month on the site - don't know how to post pictures here - and they were provided by one of Elenin's cohorts who works at a university here in Texas.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Lets be quite clear here. You DONT need to be at a university to have a telescope big enough to see comet Elenin.
Lots of amateur astronomers around the world like to observe comets and report what they've found on the internet. Anyone here fortunate enough to have a few spare dollars and a bit of open space can do the same. You dont have to trust the government on this one. Elenin is in the sky for anyone to see who wants to bother.

This page has some photos of Elenin taken by amateurs, along with estimates of brightness.
Link

heres another...
Link

heres another watcher...
Link

Lots of amateur astronomy message forums on the internet as well.

The simple fact is that if there was anything unusual about this comet - the appearance, the position, the brightness, the orbit... whatever... there are lots of people around the world who will notice.
You dont have to trust NASA.
The comet Elenin is in the sky for anyone to see.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Exforcesuk

Not Tyche again. Tyche is a hypothetical planet created by two professors at the University of Louisiana - Lafayette. So far they are pretty much the only ones claiming this planet might exist. The Tyche hypothesis was a replacement to their Nemesis hypothesis which they had to abandon. They have stated that if it exists it might be in the WISE data. So, the existence of Tyche is not a certainty. In fact it is very unlikely.

Two more things. Technically the WISE project shut down in October 2010 when it ran out of coolant preventing it from using most of its equipment. This is around the time that NASA predicted it would run out of coolant. Luckily to some funding from the Planetary Division of NASA the WISE team was able keep the remaining equipment running for three months as NEOWISE. There is nothing insidious about the project ending and in fact it ran longer than originally planned. Second, Tyche is not Planet X. Planet X is an outdated term created by Percival Lowell at the start of the 20th century to explain perturbations in the orbits of the gas giants. These perturbations were explained by Voyager II's flyby of Neptune, meaning there was no longer a need for Planet X.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join