It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama caves to Republicans again: Spending cuts may cost the lives of 70,000 children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...-mcgovern-obama-caved-to-republican-demands
www.mysanantonio.com...

Jim McGovern: Obama 'Caved' To Republican Demands

"I personally think that the White House has caved too much on their demands," McGovern told The Huffington Post. "There's a human face behind some of these cuts. I do lot of work on hunger and nutrition issues. Cutting WIC [Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children], that has consequences. That’s here at home. Domestically, Rajiv Shah, the head of USAID said if the cuts they’re insisting on this year go through, 70,000 children will die. I mean, there’s a human face behind these things.”

My philosophy is simple.
Granted we don’t have a perfect world. Granted there is and will be injustices all over the place all the time.
But all I seek is that we as human beings try to strive to make life better for all of us.
And even though we all recognize through life’s experiences that life is perilous, shouldn’t we try to eliminate things like child hunger all over the world, being that we now have the technology and wealth to do it.

When this great and rich empire of America, that always wishes to say how great it is, does something like cut the life line to thousands of innocent children across the planet and at the same time bail out millionaires, cut taxes for the rich, and cater to selfish politicians, corporatists who don’t need another golf course or corporate plane to survive, but the meager dollars given to these children in the earth is a life saving grace to them.

This is an immense and sad tragedy that people with great wealth and power refuse to help those in need.

I don’t like my tax dollars going to weapons of mass destruction and wars. But I am proud of America when it does things like feeding hungry children with my tax money.

I wonder where the soul, the compassion is, the empathy in those who don’t care that 70, 000 children, innocent children may die so the American budget can be balanced. Somthing they are not likely to accomplish anyway.

People who support the recent frenzy to balance the budget will likely claim that this isn’t true, or if it is—so what—we need a balanced budget any cost.

If it were your children would you think the same?

edit on 8-4-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2011 by inforeal because: Spelling error

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
""I wonder where the soul, the compassion is, the empathy in those who don’t care that 70, 000 children, innocent children may die so the American budget can be balanced. Something they are not likely to accomplish anyway'.'"

The people running this country and the world do not have a soul nor empathy....

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The greed of a few rubs off on us all.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Double post...
edit on 8-4-2011 by Sounds_of_Silence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
he's right...soul and compassion was removed from political interests quite a while ago...it has been replaced with greed, rivalry, and hate...most of these a-holes would probably drown a puppy if they thought it would save them some money and cut loose some of the responsibilities they should have

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This is pitiful. I hope their souls find solace, if not in the afterlife, then in the generation they are born into next.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
How about letting us keep our money to feed and clothe our own children? I hate to say it, but if you can't afford to have children, maybe you shouldn't have them.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Oh for the love of god!
What democrat talking points are you going to regurgitate next?

Leme guess,
Republicans beat babies
Republicans spank small kittens with spatulas
Republicans eat tiny bunnies
Republicans control planet Nirubu
Republicans caused dinosaurs to become extinct
Obama is a republican
My boots are republican
The angry monkey in my closet is republican

Give it a rest, Gomer!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
How about letting us keep our money to feed and clothe our own children? I hate to say it, but if you can't afford to have children, maybe you shouldn't have them.

While I agree, the problem with these consequences is that they punish the children - not any parents that might have made bad choices. And I don't think we can blame children for "being born".

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Trimming the ridiculous amount of bloat out of the Federal Government would feed far more than 70,000 children. It's funny how any time someone tries to put politician's feet to the fire...it's always the children who will will suffer.

Why do those in government need spokespersons? Are they not capable of speaking for themselves? I'd LOVE to see the yearly tally for the CONgressional staffers who are mentioned nowhere in the Constitution yet are paid by We the People.

It's time to pull out the scissors and cut this government to Constitutionally authorized pieces.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
To say that children will die because of this is a bit dramatic and just sounds too much like someone who is on the other side of the fence and pissed that it happened. I'm not saying that what happened is right because it isn't, but don't act so surprised that it did. We're talking about politicians after all, not community activists.

This just proves my point more that politicians are dirt, and the people who vote for them either just don't know any better, or are worms for supporting them.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
""I wonder where the soul, the compassion is, the empathy in those who don’t care that 70, 000 children, innocent children may die so the American budget can be balanced. Something they are not likely to accomplish anyway'.'"

The people running this country and the world do not have a soul nor empathy....

First, exactly where is this 70,000 figure coming from? I want to see something more reputable than the HuffPo ...

And another way to look at it is how many children of future generations might die if we don't fix the budget crisis now? Likely more than the BS figure of 70,000 people keep throwing around here ...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whipfather

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

While I agree, the problem with these consequences is that they punish the children - not any parents that might have made bad choices. And I don't think we can blame children for "being born".
So do you have a fix for the problem? Because right now we reward irresponsible behavior. How about the state take the children and feed them while the parents that cannot support the kids go with out? No? Then what exactly would you suggest?

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
really now the left is just so concerned with children when there are thousands if not millions of babies they kill every day in america?

really now am i just suppose to care all of the sudden?

really now is it just the evil republicans?

if the left is just so concerned about children how about they stop murdering them.

70,000 eh what a crock of crap.

what do you people think abortion is
edit on 8-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
And if ObamaNut keeps running the country, millions will end up dying....children included..

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Somebody is counting, right?

If there aren't 70,000 children dead as a direct result of this bill I'm going to disappointed.

Whoever comes up with these pre-figures should be held responsible for tracking them and reporting their findings at the end of the given "fear" period.

It would only help the case their making I'm sure.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Give me a break...We the People have NO VOICE at this moment in the balance of the budget...
As of this time the only ones that can make the decisions are the so called representatives of The People...
and unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done shy of complete revolution and overthrow of the entire sitting government. We all know how far that would get and of course what the outcome would be.

If certain programmes must be cut...we retaliate with using the common sense that we should have been born with.

Ladies...do your own Planned Parenthood : No sex without condoms. Period, end of story. Saves on sexually transmitted diseases. Use birth control pills. No need to worry about whether one should or shouldn't have an abortion. And using a condom also kills two birds with one stone...Do y'all really need the government to remind you?

Gentlemen...Use those condoms. Don't like it in a raincoat? Tough! Believe it or not...women actually find men that use their common sense and treat their ladies with respect a lot sexier than ones that act more like a neanderthal.

Worried about the children on WIC? This is a parental responsibility....not the government. Feed your kids FIRST....then take care of yourselves. I've lived like this...and many others that are parents have as well. Give the kids milk, wheat bread (cheap white bread is garbage), brown eggs, tuna (albacore white packed in water), apples, bananas, grapes, etc. Think it costs too much??? Betcha it's cheaper than the junk food most buy at their local 7/11 to survive on. Churches, Food Banks, etc...will still donate to help children...who needs the government to tell you what to eat? We all know that they will steer us towards their flavourful GMO'd poison. If you can...start your own gardens...grow your own foods if you are able.

Early cancer detection??? If they decide to cut that out, remember...one can eat certain foods that will get rid of suspected cancer before it takes hold in your system. Prevent it before it starts by eating a more alkaline diet instead of, once again the government recommended crap. There are many sites on line that each one of us can educate ourselves and follow some of the suggestions given by many HEALERS, not money hungry doctors, on stopping a lot of our problems before they start.

This is an opportunity for We the People to show the heartless souls on Capitol Hill in DC that the American people DO NOT NEED their back stabbing and hypocritical attitudes and lies. Time to remind them THEY WORK FOR US...

Sorry for the length...
edit on 8-4-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The solution for this is very simple. The human race should strive for peace, and partake of a massive attempt to eliminate weapons of mass destruction that are produced from the defense budgets of the nations. That will certainly balance the budgets of the worlds economies.

Imagine all that money can be shifted to humanitarian causes of peace and prosperity, not wars, destruction and death.

We need to shift priorities to life giving pursuits away from institutions of death.

Americas is the most powerful so it should lead the way.

We have to flood people with ideas of humanity and hope and love and empathy who don’t give a dam about anyone but themselves and help them change from the ethno-centric frame of mind of me me me and only me.
That is the lowest level of developmental consciousness for the human being, and people like them have to be brought to development slowly . . . to a world centric idea of universal peace and prosperity for all.

edit on 8-4-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Foreign aid???
you can take your foreign aid and shove it! CUT IT!

Planned Parenthood?
I don't want my tax money going to pay for abortions! CUT IT!

WIC?
Totally abused, leave it but enforce drug screening for those participating in it. if they fail, CUT IT!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This:

English

Spanish in case you didn't understand the silliness in English.

Is what you sound like.

This has got to be one of the dumbest claims I've ever seen made.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join