It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a Phobia? Share it!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Ok, Just posted a thread on spiders and it reminded me of how I got my fear of the little buggers. It also made me wonder what other Phobias some members might have and if they remember how they developed them.

I am curious as to how Phobias develop. Some are from personal experiences while others are instilled in us from other people. Others as I understand are inherited.

So here goes...

My Phobia...Spiders!

When I was about 3 or 4 yrs old, I was outside and walking down a sidewalk in front of our house. Lo and behold I came across a big-ass spider (not sure what type of course) Northern Manitoba, Canada if anyone knows the spiders in the North.

Anyway, being young and invincible I decided to stomp on it to see it go all squishy. (Kids stuff) And I do mean it was big! Not tarantula big but the body I remember being the size of maybe a quarter. Big in my World.

So, I did it! Stomped it and lifted my foot to see the damage. I then noticed that there were what seemed like millions (not really) of little dust size things crawling over my foot and up my leg. I had shorts on at the time.

Yup! BABY SPIDERS! Crawling all over me and I was afraid to touch them. They kept crawling up my legs, into my shorts. I was screaming, my mother came out of the house and started screaming ( adding to my horror of course) and I started running and trying to roll on the grass to get these things off.

Well, mom came to the rescue and all was ok except that I didn't sleep properly for weeks and to this day...Can't get near 'em.

Well, you get it.

So that's mine...What's yours?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
You wanna see some crazy afflicted dancing? All you have to do is catch me when a bee or wasp is near. I don't care what kind, even the ones that don't sting. I will do the Hustle, Harlem Shake, Two Step, Pop Lock... and Drop, Roger Rabbit, Electric Slide, Pretty Girl Rock, Super Man and any other crazy dance you can think of all.... at one time. I don't understand why I am so afraid of them. But even if I see one that lands on someone else, I freeze up and do whatever I can to not be confronted with it myself. For example, If I see one land on someone while I'm sitting ina car and they are outside of the car, I will just roll up the window and for some reason I can't warn them because my speech is frozen in terror. If one flies in the car, I would probably jump out while it's still rolling or stop in mid traffic to jump out of the car. I need some serious therapy.

edit on 2-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Millipedes and Spiders, creepy crawlies in general are my main fear.
When I was younger I remember finding an old broom in the back of my garden and when I pulled it out there were centipedes or millipedes under it, and the way they moved was just strange.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Bowling Alleys.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Man I grew up in Louisiana and have handled snakes, gators, logger head snapping turtles, electric eels and spiders, with no fear. But there is one critter that just freaks me out, the cockroach, which grows to 3.5 inches down there, and they fly!

As a kid, while laying in bed to sleep, one of these things crawled up the wall and then flew right on my face! Holy shiaat did I scream and run! When they fly their heavy body hangs down making them appear freakishly large. I don't even like killing them!

These things also feed on eyebrows and facial hair at night, for real dude!

Peace,
spec
edit on 2-4-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Agreed! I'm from Gretna. I know all about those. They always find a way in when it rains. One flew right at my little brother and I once and we hid under the covers.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
WOW!

I see some real Phobias here!
Not sure of the bowling alley tho?

Always good to get it out there and share it. Maybe therapeutic for some if they share the same ones.

Good Stuff.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

These things also feed on eyebrows and facial hair at night, for real dude!

Seriously?

You have every right to fear these little creeps.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Its crazy but true, i have no idea why but Bowling alleys really do make me feel ridiculasly un-easy

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Seriously?

4. When cockroach numbers are high, they turn cannibalistic on whatever there is to eat.Crawling into an ear and requiring surgery to remove them does occur, but it is a accidental invasion.Feeding on sores and eyebrows is not accidental. It is intentional

petsafepestcontrol.com...
AND, according to this article, they also can carry MRSA! Yikes!!!
A little more perspective, if you will....

edit on 2-4-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by jude11

Its crazy but true, i have no idea why but Bowling alleys really do make me feel ridiculasly un-easy

Ok, that's officially the weirdest one here so far.

All in fun of course.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I can't handle spiders either. When I was five we live in house with a basement, when my mom went downstairs to do laundry I would sit on the steps and only play with the white spiders and left the darker spiders alone till one bit me. My mom hated that basement it was like a spider den.

Thankfully my children's father has downsized his spider collection from hundreds to seven. Nothing like being shaken awake at 3am because he was changing enclosures and one got loose and he needs your help to catch it.
Yep......nothing like having an arachnophobic trying to help you catch a tarantula.......Horrible

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

4. When cockroach numbers are high, they turn cannibalistic on whatever there is to eat. Crawling into an ear and requiring surgery to remove them does occur, but it is a accidental invasion. Feeding on sores and eyebrows is not accidental. It is intentional.

petsafepestcontrol.com...
AND, according to this article, they also can carry MRSA! Yikes!!!

Ok, now I am developing a not-so-good feeling about these guys as well.

Didn't know that.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by finitydream

At least in some way, you have faced the Phobia.

I don't even want to try. I have a fear of spiders and I'm cool with it. No need for me to get over it at my age. lol

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I love insects just not all over me or my house. thanks.
I used to have bad nightmares about bugs but then I got curious and learned what marvels of engineering they truly are.
The thing I:m most afraid of is
People who can kill other people and laugh about it.
And people who can lie to you with a straight face.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I love insects just not all over me or my house. thanks.
I used to have bad nightmares about bugs but then I got curious and learned what marvels of engineering they truly are.
The thing I:m most afraid of is
People who can kill other people and laugh about it.
And people who can lie to you with a straight face.

Got a point there.

People killing others with no sense of remorse whatsoever are truly scary.

At least insects do it for a reason and not to be entertained.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I am afraid of germs and heights. I HATE throwing up so something like the stomach flu freaks me out.. always washing my hands.. and heights.. well I went to Vegas once and went to the top of Stratosphear.. I almost could not move looking down and was holding the rail tight. Deep water scares me too, you never know whats under it.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Clowns and Puppets and Dolls.
I'm not "terrified" of them i.e. I can be in a room with them and not be worried, but I would rather not if it's all the same, more or less everyone in my family has the same thing

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Wasps, bees, and any of their related flying insects.

At the age of around 2 years old I was stung between the eyes by a bee. It's possible that my phobia is a result of this. I'm 23 years old, but act like a scared child with one of these around me.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This should be a fun thread if people are honest. I have emetophobia ,but since most folks have no idea what that is, I just call it puke - o - phobia...which is fairly common. Arachnophobia as well...another common one. But secretly (and this is just between you & me) I have this innate fear that I am one day going to come strolling contentedly out of a public washroom with 3 yards of 3 ply toilet paper waving in the breeze, securely tucked in the back of my pants or stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join