It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unofficial confirmation of complete meltdown in reactor 2?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Richard Lahey, who was head of safety research for boiling water reactors at General Electric when the company installed the units at the Japan plant, says the radioactive core in the Unit 2 reactor appears to have melted through the bottom of its containment vessel and on a concrete floor.

"The indications we have, from the reactor to radiation readings and the materials they are seeing, suggest that the core has melted through the bottom of the pressure vessel in unit two, and at least some of it is down on the floor of the drywell,"

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
www.foxnews.com...

Richard Lahey, who was head of safety research for boiling water reactors at General Electric when the company installed the units at the Japan plant, says the radioactive core in the Unit 2 reactor appears to have melted through the bottom of its containment vessel and on a concrete floor.

"The indications we have, from the reactor to radiation readings and the materials they are seeing, suggest that the core has melted through the bottom of the pressure vessel in unit two, and at least some of it is down on the floor of the drywell,"

3 reactors are in meltdown.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Nice catch OP.
S&F

It's getting more and more difficult to get facts coming from Japan, so thanks for posting this.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaakin

Originally posted by Blazer
www.foxnews.com...

3 reactors are in meltdown.

Yes, but we don't know to what degree. This would appear to be the first "official" report of one of them completely melting down out of its containment. Big news if true.

Of course, for all we know, 1, 2 and 3 might have all done the same.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Bury the whole damn thing in concrete, and be done with it. This crisis would have been resolved two weeks ago if TEPCO wasn't more interested in repairing and reusing the reactor than the public safety.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

they still have to bury chernobyl for good..it costs billions to do it

i hope the best for Japan since for chernobyl

Scientists say that radiation will affect the Chernobyl area for 48,000 years although it will be safe enough for humans to begin repopulating the area long before then - in about 600 years.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I knew this was going to be much worse than Chernobyl. I was away for three days and come back to meltdowns. Three, you say? Heh. People thought I was a fearmonger when I said it would be worse than Chernobyl...

So... Have they upped the level to 7 yet? It should be 8 or 9, I would think.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
People keep saying "bury it in concrete" but it's pointless unless you totally encase it in concrete, and you can't do that because it's only just above the water table, so you can't tunnel underneath like they did at Chernobyl

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
People keep saying "bury it in concrete" but it's pointless unless you totally encase it in concrete, and you can't do that because it's only just above the water table, so you can't tunnel underneath like they did at Chernobyl

EXCELLENT point...
I hadn't even thought of that, TEPCO and the Japanese Gov know this.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

we can only guess how much sea water will turn out to be nuclear waste sea .. fish poisoned?..what are the consequences..eco system will surely have some hard time my modest mind thinks

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I've always wanted a fish with three eyeballs.

Japan has been, and always will be, a secretive society when it comes to their inner workings. This situation treads directly on the Japanese value of "honor" so they're not going to be the first to rush out and say they've screwed the continent.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hithe Merinos
Bury the whole damn thing in concrete, and be done with it. This crisis would have been resolved two weeks ago if TEPCO wasn't more interested in repairing and reusing the reactor than the public safety.

Do you or eny one else think that tptb have staged with the help of harp or something...
The events unfolding in japan, to take the focus off of all the protest that started around the wold.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Sorry doubble post

edit on 29-3-2011 by mkkkay because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I knew this was serious when I heard all the msm especially cnn and msnbc all say over and over again not to buy potassium iodine. which is just what i did before it got expensive.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This is not good, we are already getting rad readings here in Britain.

Seems thing are only going to get worse.

ALS

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

You forgot to quote from the same article this:

Lahey did add there was no danger of a Chernobyl-style catastrophe.

I don't understand...Mr. Lahey says the core has melted down but still we are far from a Chernobyl event...seems contradictory.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hithe Merinos
As far as I know, the reactors are done for. There's no repairing them. Just the act of using saltwater ruined the piping system (something like that) and the rest of it's good as dead. They'll have to rebuild hte entire thing. They SHOULD have the air force ready with materials on hand in case they need to bury it, but for now it looks like they're attempting to do damage control by cooling them. It has looked like this for a week or so. I don't know if their attempt is meeting their expectations, but I hope it's. This recent news doesn't bode well.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Everything I have read today regarding the nuclear disaster has been
bad news. It seems they are at a standstill - maybe thinking if they
should abandon ship. Just awaiting confirmation on the FOX report,
I say they have come up with an idea to try that is different or they
are going to abandon ship and let it take what course it will - and
that will be be a disaster that could effect us globally.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
is it even possible to 'bury' a facility that size? seems like an enormous job considering they really can't get anywhere near the place safely. logistically how do they go about this? a 'Kamikazi' style chain of cement trucks?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join