It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first issues with the Bible.

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
To your second question on the Bible: "Let us..".refers to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

mind actually providing the contradictions?

ET is not God. Get to the most basics of what an alien is. Why would they care about Earth? Resources are plentiful, life is plentiful in the universe. genetics are plentiful for the need of them.

There are only 2 reasons an alien would ever care about Earth. Exploration documentation, and art. They would never give a damn about the locals. Where on Earth can you find interactions with a primitive people as being good? A few missionaries tried to spread some good word, but their masters inevitably came in to take everything.

God is not of the universe. God is not an alien. Because one can fathom something greater than that alien. Ergo, if you can imagine something greater than God, then the thing is not God.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Atheism and Rational logic for the win.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

His kind is simply a species. in as much as you are born of your fathers kind. The animals were born of their kind. bit anti evolutionary perhaps. but that's that.

link   
ive got a question,

why does evolution supposedly prove that god did not "create" humanity? evolution is supported with so many scientific facts that it cannot be denied. however, as a student of archaeology, i understand that there are also MANY flaws in darwins theory of evolution. how does this flawed theory prove that we didnt come directly from god?

heres what im saying, god created all things that creepeth upon the earth, well if you notice... man comes after all those creeping things. god made man in his image, god is everything... therefore, man is everything, right? if man comes from everything, than evolution is correct and the bible is correct as well. thoughts?

link   
Anybody find it a little odd that all of jesus's drinking buddies were declared saints?Cmon get real with the bible,just a book with stories that have been translated thousands of time with no basis in fact.Hell, try to get the story on what happened at a party last saturday night and youll have 10 different versions.This was 2000 years ago.People claim to be god today and are labeled as nuts.How can any book with the opening chapter being admitted fiction be taken seriously.Adam and eve is supposed to be an analogy.Who made up this analogy?If you are trying to create a history book such as the bible,dont start it off with fictional accounts and then try to pass the rest of the book off as fact.
edit on 21-3-2011 by brindle because: mistake

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I curse the Holy Spirit.
I reject the teachings of Christ.
There, I'm going to hell.
As bad as it may be at least I won't spend an eternity with the christians. Thank God.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
The Bible, to be understood, must read to through the heart. Its not a book you read to analyze like other books. It's a book of holy words meant to help your soul in addition to telling you about Christ and God and how everything in the world was created and why we worship and what happens after this life is over. No book on Earth is like it. That is how I know everything in it is true and told.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Sorry but It is not a book, it is a collection of books written an age after the events detailed.

Also it was the council of Nicea that put toghter todays bible was it not? And they left out a lot as well.

You tell me this. What man has the divine authority to state what is Gods word and what is not?
I'll tell you, NO MAN has.

Therefore your bible is MAN's word not gods, sorry

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer84

Originally posted by ag893
The Bible, to be understood, must read to through the heart. Its not a book you read to analyze like other books. It's a book of holy words meant to help your soul in addition to telling you about Christ and God and how everything in the world was created and why we worship and what happens after this life is over. No book on Earth is like it. That is how I know everything in it is true and told.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Sorry but It is not a book, it is a collection of books written an age after the events detailed.

Also it was the council of Nicea that put toghter todays bible was it not? And they left out a lot as well.

You tell me this. What man has the divine authority to state what is Gods word and what is not?
I'll tell you, NO MAN has.

Therefore your bible is MAN's word not gods, sorry

There were two councils that decided whats to be left in and what wasn't...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Here is a statement that has gotten a Few religious Zealots mad in the past that i bring up to point out that god is wrong..

( Btw i stopped posting years ago because this site is full of people who have the attitude God is right the bible is truth!! and wont listen to any thing else even said..))

We have no free will..

Its a simple statement of Truth. The Christan god is "Omnipotence" All powerful unable to lie etc etc..

But he says we have Free will? How?

God knows all things and all possible outcomes he knows before we are even born what we are going to be like at any age and what choices we are going to make.. So we do not in fact have free will because the very thought of some one already knowing what is going to happen Voids free will because the choices and thoughts the actions everything is already mapped out..

He knows EVERYTHING! or so we are told. by a book written by man edited by man..

theres my two cents..

I have more Belief that Aliens put us here then some being floating in the sky looking down on us from above..

Whats that saying? Better to rule in hell then Serve in heaven..

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
ChaosComplex thank you so much for wanting to find out what Christians believe and trying to understand parts of the Bible for yourself

And apologies for the long post

I have always questioned what MSM have said is the truth, and ATS has proven to me that you really cant trust a lot of respectable people in society, mainly scientists, governments and politicians
After much investigation i find the Biblical account of creation and the universe makes much more sense and is easier to prove than the Big Bang Thoery and evolution, but i'll talk about them in a minute

What SuperiorEd was saying about the prophecy side is very worrying sometimes, the Bible predicted things such as the complete destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem by the Romans, and even the reform of the Jews in their home nation in the 1950s. Its what it says about coming events that gets even more scary; earthquakes, floods, famines, etc. all of which people are starting to ask if they are getting worse, also many threads here will prove that scientists really do think this is the case.

Revelation 3:7 tells of four living creatures around Gods throne, the creatures resemble first a lion, then an ox, then a face of a man, and lastly an eagle in flight, maybe these are the ones which he mentions in Genesis when he says 'his kind'.

Also the idea that God created evolution does not add up with Biblical accounts; the Bible says that there was no death in the beginning and that it was the fault of mankind that caused sin and death, whereas evolution states that death had to be there from the beginning- two contradicting things.
After much investigation it becomes apparent that in the natural world, evolution through natural selection and processes is impossible;
Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, commented that "DNA is like a software program, only much more complex than anything we've ever devised."
Can you imagine something more intricate than the most complex program running on a supercomputer being devised by accident through evolution—no matter how much time, how many mutations and how much natural selection are taken into account?

DNA cannot evolve naturally, scientists claim to have 'proven' it in labs, but this does not mean it can happen in the outside world. Natural selection can only take an organism to a certain point, ie, different breeds, but mutations cannot be passed onto the next generation and normally administer the mutated organism infertile.

As for the big bang theory: www.physicsmyths.org.uk...

The BBT is basically a number of ideas and ESTIMATIONS based on an original ASSUMPTION. For instance, in the beginning every bit of energy that the universe consists of was at a single infitely small point (singularity). This straight away comes under scrutiny because the laws of physics cannot be applied to singularities, let alone why it decided to expand; they make up stuff to make it work.
In any other field of science, an idea with so little to prove its possibility would be shot down and never accepted.

The Bible says that looking out at the wonder of nature and the universe is the proof of God itself. How complex the known universe is and yet we take it for granted.
I could talk about proof for the Great Flood but ive ranted for long enough lol.

hope you read this

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have no isues with the bible because I believe! If u just believe you'll never have to question anything. And the bible is analogies and stories and real stories all put into one book. So suck it up and deal with it!

And btw IM CATHOLIC

edit on 21-3-2011 by kid_cudi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Once you understand the relationship between type and archetype then you will understand these passages.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerstellarOne

Every other religion, Or story or creation of of Gods other than the holy bible, Is a lie, And if you choose to believe that lie, well then your being part of the grand deception, Satan planned as soon as he fell to earth from heaven, We should be wise because the Devil is wiser than any other creature of the earth, He was gods right hand before he tried to take over gods throne, In the battle in heaven written in revelation when lucifer(light bearer) and his angels fought against GOD and the hosts of heaven,

Why would you say that other religions are a lie? What makes you think that YOUR religion is truth? Who told you that? Did your 'god' give you a divine message and show you the way PERSONALY ?

How can you believe such nonsense when the VATICAN holds chambers and chambers of SECRET files. What secrets could they possibly be?? Have you ever asked yourself that question ??
vatican secrets

AND not to mention millions of compensation paid out to the children who were abused by the catholic priests.....
Wiki

such an amazing religion !!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueShift
ChaosComplex thank you so much for wanting to find out what Christians believe and trying to understand parts of the Bible for yourself

And apologies for the long post

I have always questioned what MSM have said is the truth, and ATS has proven to me that you really cant trust a lot of respectable people in society, mainly scientists, governments and politicians
After much investigation i find the Biblical account of creation and the universe makes much more sense and is easier to prove than the Big Bang Thoery and evolution, but i'll talk about them in a minute

What SuperiorEd was saying about the prophecy side is very worrying sometimes, the Bible predicted things such as the complete destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem by the Romans, and even the reform of the Jews in their home nation in the 1950s. Its what it says about coming events that gets even more scary; earthquakes, floods, famines, etc. all of which people are starting to ask if they are getting worse, also many threads here will prove that scientists really do think this is the case.

Revelation 3:7 tells of four living creatures around Gods throne, the creatures resemble first a lion, then an ox, then a face of a man, and lastly an eagle in flight, maybe these are the ones which he mentions in Genesis when he says 'his kind'.

Also the idea that God created evolution does not add up with Biblical accounts; the Bible says that there was no death in the beginning and that it was the fault of mankind that caused sin and death, whereas evolution states that death had to be there from the beginning- two contradicting things.
After much investigation it becomes apparent that in the natural world, evolution through natural selection and processes is impossible;
Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, commented that "DNA is like a software program, only much more complex than anything we've ever devised."
Can you imagine something more intricate than the most complex program running on a supercomputer being devised by accident through evolution—no matter how much time, how many mutations and how much natural selection are taken into account?

DNA cannot evolve naturally, scientists claim to have 'proven' it in labs, but this does not mean it can happen in the outside world. Natural selection can only take an organism to a certain point, ie, different breeds, but mutations cannot be passed onto the next generation and normally administer the mutated organism infertile.

As for the big bang theory: www.physicsmyths.org.uk...

The BBT is basically a number of ideas and ESTIMATIONS based on an original ASSUMPTION. For instance, in the beginning every bit of energy that the universe consists of was at a single infitely small point (singularity). This straight away comes under scrutiny because the laws of physics cannot be applied to singularities, let alone why it decided to expand; they make up stuff to make it work.
In any other field of science, an idea with so little to prove its possibility would be shot down and never accepted.

The Bible says that looking out at the wonder of nature and the universe is the proof of God itself. How complex the known universe is and yet we take it for granted.
I could talk about proof for the Great Flood but ive ranted for long enough lol.

hope you read this

when you change while your alive is that considered evolution? evolving doesnt require death. how does evolution completely contradict the bible?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

I would tend to agree with you in much of what you said. I think doing the research yourself is very important, and not that I'm any type of expert.. But I'm lead to believe that any time you are trying to understand something, you can't take everything you find at face value. It has to be kind of a balancing act. You need to find what makes sense among all of the data.

I don't mean to be offensive in any way by saying this but, it strikes me as odd that you recognized certain things but in the process you do the same. You are able to say that everyone is different in their belief, but you have faith that the church you currently attend does it the right way and the church you previously attended would find services at your current church offensive to some degree. This shows me (at least I think so) that your previous church practiced faith differently and you don't feel that it is as "right" as your current practice. Does it not strike you as odd, that the Roman Catholic Church is the figure head and final end all be all to all Christian Denominations but many of the denominations practice differently?

I do realize Christianity is not the only religion that is divided into several denominations, but is that really the point? Isn't the same basic concept stressed in all religion? The end of this life drives the beliefs of every major religion. Muslim, Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Hindu. All of them stress the same basic ideals of peace, love, harmony and light. The method in which you achieve the basic principles is different.. But the end result is the same to some degree. So what makes you confident that Christianity is right? Especially when it is based on the New Testament.. It is called "New" for a reason. It isn't original, and much of the original scripture isn't there. It is based on a man, a remarkable man, but nonetheless a man.

I think the Bible and every other Religious text out there offer something powerful and great. I do not however understand how Christians, being created in the image of God and believing and preaching what they do.. That means being forgiving, loving, kind, tolerant, and accepting (at least by New Testament standards), have such an incredible intolerance for anyone whose belief system is based on something outside of the Bible's teachings.

Why doesn't God like it when questions are asked?
Why wasn't the procedure and lifestyle required to be accepted into heaven made as clear as possible?
Why all the symbolism and contradiction?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
I also think God/Jesus could be an alien.

For example,

2 Peter 3:8—‘one day is like a thousand years’

It's well known that traveling at or near the speed or light significantly "slows down" time for the traveler.

Lmaooo this site is full of nut jobs I swear
second line.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vash

The Bible says that one day to God is like a thousand years and vice versa. Its quite a well accepted idea that if God existed he would be outside of time, because he created it.
If you imagine God being outside of time, he can see from the very beginning, to the very end, and in between, all at once. Kind of like having a home video of your life, when you rewatch it you know what happens because you've seen it before, yet at the time of recording, it was free will;
Even though it was without doubt free will at the time, outside of time, it has already happened.

Confusing, but makes sense if you think about it

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I didn't read all 20-something pages but it sounds like most people are trying to explain away the plurality question with the Holy Trinity. I just wanted to point out that the Holy Trinity is a man-made fabrication and I've yet to be shown any convincing biblical evidence for it.

The bible says "us" because the God of the bible is not alone. That would be the conclusion any un-biased outsider would have from reading it. You will see this in other places, too. In the garden of Eden, God states his concern that Adam and Eve will become as powerful as them. Also, the God in the creation part is all-knowing, all-seeing, etc yet the God in the garden of Eden was walking around, looking for Adam and questioning him and Eve over the events of the day. And then there's the question of all the people that were made before Adam and Eve...

All in all, the Bible is a fascinating collection of holy scriptures, historical accounts, and some not-so-historical-or-holy accounts. Remember, not even the bible (with a few exceptions) states what books should be in the bible. It also does not say it's a sin to question or simply disbelieve some things in there. Many people think the "church" is God and God's word. They have no authority.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join