It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA buzzroom video! Comet Elenin -revised trajectory from .24 AU to .0004AU?! what?!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Hey all, I am pretty new to this Forum. Pls check out this link below. Does anyone know the actual size of Elenin, and what if any gravitational impact will such a close shave have on the Earth?

vodpod.com...

Pls, anyone who has any useful info pls post. Seems like this could be important.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OccultScience

How close is .0004AU to us? for instance would a .0001AU be skimming our atmosphere? Sorry im not familiar with the AU scale of distance.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

anyone who has any useful info pls post

NASA Buzzroom is a community portal. Anone may create an account and upload material to it. It is like youtube. Videos on buzzroom are not produced or endorsed by NASA any more than youtube videos are produced or endorsed by youtube.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
According to the video, Elenin's closest point to us would be in September or October of this year, being ~40 million miles away.

As to how that converts to AU I have no idea but I I hope I helped a bit!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PLASIFISK

How close is .0004AU to us? for instance would a .0001AU be skimming our atmosphere? Sorry im not familiar with the AU scale of distance.

Well the moon is 0.00256 AU away from us and that equals 1LD "Lunar distance" = 384,401 km
edit on 16-3-2011 by bluedrake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
i dont know but the nasa buzz site is down and has been since the 6th video was from the 4th kinda fish imobuzzroom.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Calm down ,I had a heated discussion on this subject too,if you check jpl nasa and run animation to 17th oct the figure is shown at present.ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... ,yes it has moved slightly closer to 0.23 and -0.22 but it has`nt jumped as much as last month,which was 0.02 au`s in weeks,it would seem the figures are becoming more accurate,although I still hold my breath,there has been a flurry of elenin threads heres the favwww.abovetopsecret.com...
mines was sent to the philosphers corner,I blame nasa !www.abovetopsecret.com...
but my other threads are relevant to recent events.I have to say nasa buzzroom is a nasa discussion forum on probables but not fact,it may turn out to be new calibration of its paramitres have not been updated but ,even I doubt it would jump from 0.23 to 0.04,infact I calculated if it moved 0.02 recalibrating each month it would still be

No at present its estimated 20 million 460,000 miles on closest but has changed by factors of 0.02 Au`s each month,so estimating 9 months of 0.02 au changes =minus 0.18 AU`s from current and could be,could be remember 3 million 720,000 miles,remember this is a unqualified speculation at present and add coronal mass ejections,solar wind and ,well I will remain optimistic,but ...mmm Really its some way to do with distance but comets are know to be the wandering objects and when closest to sun can on cme`s ,wildly angle of at tangents ,completly changing its trajectory away from the sun towards the earth equator as its on the same plane on its ecliptic away from the sun

However its not jumped another 0.02au`s in incoming trajectory according to nasa.
edit on 16-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
0.004 AU = 598,392 km

or 371,824 miles

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoveSoldier
According to the video, Elenin's closest point to us would be in September or October of this year, being ~40 million miles away.

As to how that converts to AU I have no idea but I I hope I helped a bit!

Well, it didnt really help me with the AU thingy, but it did help me put things in perspective! According to you, I have about 6-7 months before a comet thingy passes about 40 million miles from me. Would I be wrong for not getting to excited about this? Well on second thought, maybe I should be! Question-how big is this thing? Contrary to popular belief, size does matter, especially if your the size of lets say THE SUN, and taking a leisurely stroll through the universe with not a care in the world.

Thanks for the input brother.
edit on 16-3-2011 by PLASIFISK because: just saw the many post above mines explaining the AU scale! thanks folks. Still not sure if I should be worried or not though.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PLASIFISK

How close is .0004AU to us?

One Astronomical Unit is the mean distance between earth and our sun. Roughly 93 million miles. .0004 AU is approximately 37,182 miles, which is slightly more than 4 times the diamter of earth.

Where is this claim coming from?
After some review, this appears to be carelessness and possibly some translation errors. The video title states "less than .0004AU" but the video itself links to people claiming that elenin will pass within .0079 AU of an asteroid. Not earth. That video than received comments from people claiming a smaller disatnce, and somebody made a video referring to that video and quoting the commentators, by saying that they said it would approach within "less than point zero zero..." then he trails off and says "less than 40,000 miles." And apparently somebody connected those two statements, added a zero to arrive at .0004 AU, and is claiming elenin will come that close to earth instead of the other object actually being referred to.

So...a russian language site claims elenin will pass within a short distance of some other object, somebody made a video about that mistaking it for distance to earth, some random people on the intermet made comments claiming a shorter distance, somebody else then made a video of that video, commenting on the comments made on the first video...and somewhere along the way we're getting the claim of .0004 AU.

This is probably not the best way to get reliable information.

edit on 16-3-2011 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know the actual size of Elenin ?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccultScience
Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know the actual size of Elenin ?

Currently no data has been forwarded as to size,as I say its only moved 3 quarters of 0.01 au`s since its original plot 2 weeks ago,not as before in last months calibrations.So it forebodes good and the astronomer himself states he does`nt think it will be a problem.Still going to be interesting year though with Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova is 0.07au`s on aug15th and 5,587,440 miles to 6,510,000,linkssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
Heres a useful conversion site to convert your au`s from your pu`1 au being 93 million miles
swww.minco.com...
Thanks gringo
Peace

edit on 16-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
First of all BuzzRoom is down for upgrade. Second, 0.004 AU is 600,000km (1 AU = 150,000,000 km) Do the maths.
No one knows diameter, mass or density and NASA if they know they are not telling. I have already had an argue with Ask an Astrobiologist and they are telling nothing.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by rodrigolt

Thanks mate.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Do you think the people that are "In The Know" are keeping it hush hush, or really dont know?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Does anyone know the actual size of Elenin ?

I'm having difficulty finding a reputable source. I'm seeing comments from various web forums stating that the "official story" is that the comet nucleus is no larger than 4 kilometers in diameter. But the links they provide don't actually make that claim. Someone on Godlike Productions is claiming that according to the starry night software package, it's actually 10km.

Elsewhere I see claims as large as 28,000km, but those numbers appear to be derived based on the visible appearance of the comet and it's estimated distance. Meaning...the 28K km figure includes the coma, not just the nucleus. Loosely speaking, a comet is generally understood to be a relatively small (meters to kilomters) ball of ice with a very large (sometimes millions of miles) trail of gas and dust behind it. That "tail" of gasses nicely reflects light, which is why comets are so visible.

Note that earth has passed through the tail of a comet before.

edit on 16-3-2011 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
just for our information..the video was posted on YT on the 3rd March

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Hi, and welcome.

Eenin will have no impact on Earth as it is only around 4 km wide and will pass within .24 AU NOT .0004 AU.

Unfortunately the person that has nothing better to do than make You Tube videos is not all that bright and certainly has no understanding of what he reads or any intentions of checking his facts.

If you go and translate thart page on spaceobs, which by the way is the home site of the person who discovered Elenin, you will find that it is talking about distances that Elenin passes by other objects, including other asteroids as it is in the asteroid belt no, and Stereo A later on.

In my signature you will see the topic Elenin Is Coming! That has plenty of real information, mixed in with some interesting semi religious and numerological theories, but you probably won't find a Dutchsincse video there.

Anything you come across from Dutchsinse should be considered unreliable unless you verify it yourself.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PLASIFISK

Do you think the people that are "In The Know" are keeping it hush hush, or really dont know?

Oh, Trust me they know. That is exactly why they have been building bunkers all over this country like its going out of style. They are all over the place and highly protected.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I'm having difficulty finding a reputable source. I'm seeing comments from various web forums stating that the "official story" is that the comet nucleus is no larger than 4 kilometers in diameter.

4km is correct and you can find confirmation by way of an email sent to someone on my Elenin thread.

It is of course an estimate. but it is an estimate made by Leonid Elenin.

<<   2  3 >>

join