It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival of the fittest..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I actually currently consume two powder protien shakes with whole milk and peanut butter...sometimes bannana. If I can be frank...I think I just eliminate all of it. If you know what I mean...know of any good fat gainer. I've tried avocado, salmon, and olive oil on everything you can imagine. Heck vie even tried loads of pizza and big macs...that just made me feel I'll, not gain weight.

I'll look into the link though, and thank so much for your responses.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Well this post is for the people who want my help.. Though I respect all of your options on the subject..I still feel it is not only important, but necessary to be physically fit in this world we live in today..Regardless of a doomsday scenario or not..

This world is a living hell that throws something new at us every single day..And I would much rather be prepared for it all then not to be..

I know what you're saying...

But me, I think were here for a time - we can make it good, or we can make it last.

What is the point of a life spent ebbing slowly toward death as opposed to on just waiting for it?

It's not sad, it's logical.

Experience everything. Run head first into the unknown.

or else we're just living to work - pay - rinse, wash , repeat.

??

Life can't throw daggars at me, I'm not going to miss anything. short of actual physical harm - I need my arms...

I have always took this approach with life..Never thought I always just did. But I have a family now..And if I don't protect them.. who will? The government? HA, no..So you see the predicament many of us face in a situation like this..?

You do have a solid point that I would not argue with a few years back..But today I am a different person..One that feels the need to keep my promise to protect my family and loved ones.. My life alone is realistically worthless..It holds no value to me what so ever..But my family's life's..and my friend's life's on the other hand.. Hold a great deal of value too me..So you see this is why I hold being mentally and physically prepared so high..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wetpaint72

I actually currently consume two powder protien shakes with whole milk and peanut butter...sometimes bannana. If I can be frank...I think I just eliminate all of it. If you know what I mean...know of any good fat gainer. I've tried avocado, salmon, and olive oil on everything you can imagine. Heck vie even tried loads of pizza and big macs...that just made me feel I'll, not gain weight.

I'll look into the link though, and thank so much for your responses.

Big mac's are never the answer my friend..
..Though I can see why you would give it a try at over 500 calories and 35g of fat..Let me ask you something what does your typical diet look like? sometimes with a few tweaks to a diet and a solid exercise plan.. Miracles can happen!

If you don't mind posting your typical day, to day diet..I may be able to help you gain some healthy weight.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

This is definitely a topic worth thinking through for ourselves. Granted, preparation, intelligence, creativity, and even emotional stability may, and I stress MAY, have a hand in survival if some sincerely grandiose SHTF. However, along with these skills and abilities unrelated to physique, are two potentially major factors regarding physical capacity: how quickly you can run (perhaps better-put, how quickly you can out-run!), and how much excess body fat you have.

I think getting into a very healthy physical condition is rarely, if ever, regrettable. But if it is done in the name of surviving a SHTF scenario, you may not want to shoot for 3% body fat while whipping yourself into shape. Someone with that bodyfat % will (1) have a faster metabolism, requiring more sustenance and (2) die more quickly once food becomes scarce. Remember, a body that runs like a machine requires nothing less than optimal nutrition to remain in said condition.

Am I saying this to dissuade anyone from following the OP's links and taking their advice? Fudge no! It's a great thing to consider. But you may want to consider getting into great shape while still carrying 10 or 20 extra pounds. After no food for three days, you'll be in better condition (all other things equal) than someone whose body has begun consuming their muscle fibers after 24 hours.

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

If I could give you applause for this sir.. I surly would.. Thank you for the positive contribution to the thread..great advice!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
My best approach about surviving is...For the first 24 to 48 hours either stay where you are at ( after the SHTF ) and make that your base. The less you move, the less you are subject to being killed, kidnapped, attacked, rapped or stolen from.

When and if you decide to move, make sure you know where you are going and all possible routes to get there understanding the possible damage along the way like fallen bridges and such. Move in packs and don't move for long periods of time, keep your energy up as much as possible in case you have to face something big. Moving at night or day is your preference, you are the the only one that knows your level of comfort, I personally would move at night.

High ground is preferred and underground is almost a must ie caves or caverns.

Making your own underground shelter now would be a good idea, get stuff ready and transport it there now just as long as your designated area is a safe one and you are the only one aware of it.

I made mine a few years ago, took me a long time to get it to where I wanted it but it's a 1/2 hour drive away from my house, It's leased Federal land in the boonies and it's underground. It's amazing what you can do with a shovel, a pick axe, some rope and pulleys. An underground school bus makes a great and cheap hiding place, you just have to make it safe.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

No problem my friend - it's a little surprising how quickly this thread's intent was derailed. I would think that right along with knowing how to get clean water, build a fire and grow food would be knowing you can run your *** off and throw a respectable right hook. And this is from a woman. Then again, until you've gritted through that last mile of a run with your lactic acid threshold topped out and your stomach feeling like it's begun to consume both kidneys, you might not have any idea that the way folks run for their lives in movies is EDITED from several takes. Sprinting one mile at full tilt, well, it's really hard.

Rock on.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I bet your a fan of Survivor, if there is a catastrophe of some kind be ready to be put into an internment camp, unless your armed to the teeth and be ready to fight, Oh and remember if you are armed to the teeth, your a target.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawaii50th

I bet your a fan of Survivor, if there is a catastrophe of some kind be ready to be put into an internment camp, unless your armed to the teeth and be ready to fight, Oh and remember if you are armed to the teeth, your a target.

I'm not a fan of survivor..Hell I hardly watch tv as it is..
..But you got a good point there.
Welcome to the discussions..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Well this post is for the people who want my help.. Though I respect all of your options on the subject..I still feel it is not only important, but necessary to be physically fit in this world we live in today..Regardless of a doomsday scenario or not..

This world is a living hell that throws something new at us every single day..And I would much rather be prepared for it all then not to be..

Oh, I agree that physical fitness would be required, both today and in a doomsday scenario.

However I think as long as you have about average fitness, you would gain fitness living in a doomsday environment, where you would not as easily gain supplies as if you were prepared prior.

This is also what I meant by a gradual process, the more your world collapses the more physically fit you would need to be, I see it more as a result of living long term, but you need to live that long term first.

I did not mean to say that it is not important, just that it is not really a priority, at least in my eyes.

I'm all for people keeping fit, In fact, I see no excuse not to be.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I agree with the premise of this thread, and that good physical fitness should be a goal for everyone.

Will be tough in the fattest country in the world though. Just last week we had numerous members blaming the airlines for not making seats big enough to accomodate the skyrocketing numbers of the obese.

Most in this country don't take responsibility for their health, as well as many right here on ATS. While I believe survival skills could be classified seperately from physical fitness, being in shape will always help. What if you need to hike a couple hundred miles through some rough terrain for example, to escape some form of a disaster, or to go where the food is?

But given that many people, including here on ATS, think most fat people are fat because of thyroid problems(which mysteriously never seem to effect people in 3rd world countries), and not because of lifestyle, I don't see much hope to be honest.

Think about it, if you can't lose 20lbs on your own, and blame everything but your lifestyle for being overweight, why would anyone have confidence that that particular individual could handle some type of cataclysm?
edit on 11-3-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Great thread Tech.I will be exploring your links further soon.You make a good point not just for self defense, but for doing all the things that would be required to survive.If you're not in decent shape then how can you take care of the day to day things that will be required to stay alive. After all I think that there would probably be allot of physical labor involved in just simple survival.If you're not in shape how can you search for food and water when your supply runs out. If a loved one were injured how would you move them to shelter? I may be asking your advice on this in the near future.S&F

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Glad you took interest in the thread! That is exactly why I made it..I'm just happy, i'm not the only one that see's how important it is for survival..as always, Any questions are welcomed and of course encouraged!..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
i totally agree that it will come in handy being in shape, when you dont have a car and you are packing everything you have on your back, i would rather be some body builder than a fatass that spends his days on the computer, and playing cod blak opps
..... i work out every day, cardio one day and strenght the next. unfortunately i have a fast matabalism and have hardly no fat on my bones at all and require food all the time, wich would be bad in a survival situation.. i eat alot of fatty foods, and drink whey protien when i work out,... i wish i could tweak my matabolism to be a little slower.. is this even posable? if so is their a specal diet or something?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mindfreak21
i totally agree that it will come in handy being in shape, when you dont have a car and you are packing everything you have on your back, i would rather be some body builder than a fatass that spends his days on the computer, and playing cod blak opps
..... i work out every day, cardio one day and strenght the next. unfortunately i have a fast matabalism and have hardly no fat on my bones at all and require food all the time, wich would be bad in a survival situation.. i eat alot of fatty foods, and drink whey protien when i work out,... i wish i could tweak my matabolism to be a little slower.. is this even posable? if so is their a specal diet or something?

It sounds a little strange..But if you want to slow down your metabolism..You should skip breakfast..As, Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for a reason..It kick starts your metabolism..

Other then that make sure you are getting at least 50g of protein post workout..And I would recommended using s weight gainer shake once a day..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Mornin, Tech.... ok I've had the chance to go over the links that you provided for some of the workouts and such. This question is specific to me so I apologize to the thread ahead of time.

I have been active all my life, softball, lacross, field hockey, cycling and horseback riding.... so my lower body is in fairly good shape. My problem has always been my upper body strength, now for a woman in their mid-40's, it's probably on par but I would really like to get the strength up without bulking up. A little mass is OK but I don't want to go around looking like Lou Ferrigno. Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn
Mornin, Tech.... ok I've had the chance to go over the links that you provided for some of the workouts and such. This question is specific to me so I apologize to the thread ahead of time.

I have been active all my life, softball, lacross, field hockey, cycling and horseback riding.... so my lower body is in fairly good shape. My problem has always been my upper body strength, now for a woman in their mid-40's, it's probably on par but I would really like to get the strength up without bulking up. A little mass is OK but I don't want to go around looking like Lou Ferrigno. Thoughts?

Good morning to you too..

So your goal is to get toned then..Adding some lean muscle mass to your frame. It's simple honestly.. I would recommend (if you do not have access to a gym) To buy a set or resistance bands..These can be had for less then 5$ in most cases.

Now the first thing you should know is this, When you see massive guys, and yes sometimes women walking around that look like..Well monsters.
..You need to understand these people dedicate every single aspect of there life to obtain this look..So by simply lifting weights, and working out..It would be next to impossible to achieve such a look anyway..You would need a diet of upwards of 3500-4000 calories a day. Just to start out with.

Now that being said, I would recommend a routine such as this one.. I would start this on a Monday so you don't lose track of your progress.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday -15-30 minutes strength training

Tuesday/Thursday - 15-30 minutes Cardio (such as, Jogging, Walking at a fast pace, Running up and down a flight of stairs, Jump rope, Anything that get's your heart rate up..)

On the strength training day's you should be going for a full body circuit. This will keep the heart rate up and the body will maintain in amazing cardiovascular health. ( I will provide links on how to do these exercises with the resistance bands)

Strength Circuit
Bicep curls 3 sets, 8-10 reps Link
Tricep Extension 3 sets, 8-10 reps Link
Upright Row 2 sets, 10-12 reps Link
Resistance Push ups 2 sets, 10-12 reps Link
Shoulder press 3 sets, 8-10 reps Link

Notice I did not include any leg workouts? This is because on your cardio days you will be working your legs simply by doing a cardio workout..but it would be wise to throw in a set of squats.. It's not necessary however. Also you might consider doing 25-30 sit ups on these days too for a core workout..

Of course this workout routine can be tweaked to fit your schedule better, By shifting the days around..This is just a basic routine that you can add to in the future, And it never gets old. Just remember you always want to space the day's you work on your upper body apart by atleast 24 hours- 48 hours..Rest and recovery is just as important in this game.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

And yet when Michele Obama points out the frightening statistics and suggests incentiv-izing healthy choices and growing your own food she is demonized and criticized by a vitriolic right complaining government is "invading in our lives - trying to dictate what we eat."

Twisting and perverting someones meaning and intention to frighten people into an impossible to sell agenda. Anti-health and anti-education, anti-middle class.
The same folks that are systematically taking away gym class and music and art from the schools, fruit stands, sidewalks and parks from your town.
All too expensive, we can't afford these luxuries - we are fighting 2 wars.

Let people figure it out for themselves. Let them get fit in a spare room, join a gym, or venture onto the streets where your health is secondary to getting hit by a car or mugged.

Democrats = gym, music, arts, sidewalks and parks and many other NECESSITIES
this country cannot afford to treat as luxuries reserved as ONLY FOR THE RICH.

Change that matters.

Long and the short of it is...TRUE enough OP
but apparently your breath is wasted.
We need to be fit enough to reach the remote...that's about it.

Fat little sheep need to stay home and buy things off the television.
Disgusting and terribly transparent.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mindfreak21
i totally agree that it will come in handy being in shape, when you dont have a car and you are packing everything you i wish i could tweak my matabolism to be a little slower.. is this even posable? if so is their a specal diet or something?

About 100 million Americans already have done that. (making their metabolism slower)
They use artificial light, get too little sleep and eat massive amounts of carbohydrates (which in nature would only be available in late summer and early fall).

Northern latitude dwelling humans evolved to survive long dark winters. Just like bears, they will put on weight when the late summer days are long and the seasonal carbohydrates are plentiful. They used the stored fat to survive the long dark nights of winter.

The advent of artificial light and unnatural supply of constant carbohydrates has created a never ending summer in which the human body gets fat. After a while mother nature decides that the specific goal of procreation is not occuring because of ill health and stress and she goes ahead and initiates self termination through heart disease and cancer so that resources can be freed up for another organism that is reproducing.

A long cold winter with very little food would ultimately benefit overweight people as long as they had shelter, clean water and protection.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Well now that my rant is over the routine you prescribe for mymindismyown is very do-able.
Excellent advice. People forget to mix it up cardio and strength training. Women have to do some weight bearing exercises to ward off osteo-something or other. I am fortunate to be genetically disposed to fitness and musculature I had a weight lifter admire my vascularity...who knew? But I need to do some cardio. I am not sedentary but it is not enough. You need to get the heart rate up and keep it there for 20 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. In other words you have to "sweat" for 20 minutes for the cardio to be strengthening the heart optimally.

<< 1    3 >>

join