It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival of the fittest..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
How can we expect to survive in a future wasteland, if we are not physically fit enough to do so..? We can't.. Yes, many of us are mentally fit..But brains will only bring us so far in a survival of the fittest type future. I did a quick search on the topic, I was surprised there is not a thread for this yet..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79d7f981f1b8.jpg[/atsimg]

Being physically fit will help your chance of survival in any situation..End of day's type scenario or not..Now I realize that some people need a niche when working out.. A little something to hold onto it helps get them through there workout..For many people survival amongst all is there number one source of motivation..And this day and age it is becoming more and more important..

I will provide a link to a military training site..As the workout programs they have listed are all excellent for survival and strength training..Link..

I have alot of experience in this field..I have studied many of the training routines on that site, And they are all excellent for building physical strength, in as little a mount of time as possible..I personally HIGHLY recommend this one..Link

Now the reason behind this thread, I feel it is very important, and extremely relevant..to be in some sort of physical shape..I am willing to help anyone out with any questions they might have..Or if a workout needs to be tweaked to better fit your life style..I will be glad to help you do so. Any diet questions you could forward to me in this thread I Started on healthy eating habits..And I will be glad to answer them..Link

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I don't really think there is many scenario's where physical fitness would be an immediate requirement, unless you were attacked by zombies or something.

I mean, in most cases, water will still run and power will still flow after most disasters, physical fitness would likely be an incrementing problem, not an instant one.

People would become fit as requires too, I think those intellectually prepared would do better than those physically prepared.

As far as maintaining physical fitness? I think one just has to move, honestly. It is not hard to stay healthy it's not rocket science (cause then it would be interesting) it simply requires willpower.

Quite frankly I feel staying fit makes you feel better anyway, it's just getting that lifestyle in the first place.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It's not like we really wrestle each other and fight with sticks though. We just shoot each other in the face now.

It's sad, but there really hasn't been "natural" selection for hundreds of years. I mean, it's to the point now where average people can't afford to reproduce.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alina
I don't really think there is many scenario's where physical fitness would be an immediate requirement, unless you were attacked by zombies or something.

I mean, in most cases, water will still run and power will still flow after most disasters, physical fitness would likely be an incrementing problem, not an instant one.

People would become fit as requires too, I think those intellectually prepared would do better than those physically prepared.

As far as maintaining physical fitness? I think one just has to move, honestly. It is not hard to stay healthy it's not rocket science (cause then it would be interesting) it simply requires willpower.

Quite frankly I feel staying fit makes you feel better anyway, it's just getting that lifestyle in the first place.

If you go back and re-read my post..you will realize this was based on a wasteland type scenario..And no. Simply moving will not build strength...

Though you are correct that this will most likely not be needed immediately.. but would you not rather be prepared?..I mean this can be applied to any number of situations..What if you are attacked on your way home from work?..Can you honestly say you know for a fact you could fight off your attackers?.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Bugger all that, I'm not getting fit just to die anyway, I'll just get rich and pay peons to protect me, and when TSHTF after TSHTF, I'll just anhero..

Easy...

You're giving people grandeur delusions of being will smith or bruce willis.

We're - most of us - are the dead bodies...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Bugger all that, I'm not getting fit just to die anyway, I'll just get rich and pay peons to protect me, and when TSHTF after TSHTF, I'll just anhero..

Easy...

You're giving people grandeur delusions of being will smith or bruce willis.

We're - most of us - are the dead bodies...

Sad you would look at your life as being so worthless..As, it means a lot more then you even imagine..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre

Sad you would look at your life as being so worthless..As, it means a lot more then you even imagine..

I wish I could sell it before I die ? Do you have PayPal?

edit on 11/3/2011 by badw0lf because: grr timeouts posting reasling you make a wally, 2 minutes later ATS is back ... damn ads....

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
the ability to be able to kill living things without hesitation will be the most usefull ability but i agree that the very unfit will not last long. i am sure a standard level of fitness will be ok as you will become more fit from the lack of tv/internet and the fact you need to get your food every day.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

If you go back and re-read my post..you will realize this was based on a wasteland type scenario..And no. Simply moving will not build strength...

Though you are correct that this will most likely not be needed immediately.. but would you not rather be prepared?..I mean this can be applied to any number of situations..What if you are attacked on your way home from work?..Can you honestly say you know for a fact you could fight off your attackers?.

I'm pretty damn fit, but I still doubt I could fight off a lot of males, especially if they were desperate, especially if they had weapons, especially if they had projectiles. The only thing I could do is run, against guns that is pointless.

For me it would be a matter of travelling, lifting/carrying things and in general working.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well this post is for the people who want my help.. Though I respect all of your options on the subject..I still feel it is not only important, but necessary to be physically fit in this world we live in today..Regardless of a doomsday scenario or not..

This world is a living hell that throws something new at us every single day..And I would much rather be prepared for it all then not to be..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Reply to post by Alina

Just because they have a gun doesn't mean they'll be able to hit you. It's not exactly easy to hit a fast moving target. Besides, just don't confront them at a distance in the open if they have a ranged weapon and you don't.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Also, I think some people look at fitness the wrong way. What possible downside could there be to being fit? Absolutely none.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Survival of the fittest will got to those who are in good to perfect health and those that can use their brains better than most. Those that can handle high stress and panic environment. Also a trait that will be very much needed is one of being a natural scavenger, being able to see the potential in all that is found; for shelter, weapons, food, survival and medical material. It's not just a question of physical fitness by no means.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Hey Tech...thanks for the info, I find it of interest and have been thinking about this here lately so for me at least this is very timely. I'm the one in my group in charge of food supply, gardening as prep (as you well know from my thread on gardening) and med. supplies/ basic knowledge. Physical fitness is a topic in that I think we can now focus on as a priority with the other things are very well underway.

It's all about a general connection to every aspect of survival, I feel. Good physical condition tends to lead to a more beneficial mental condition and vice versa. For those not in even fairly decent shape merely going out to the garden to do some weeding can exact a toll on the physical health. It's important to recognize that in a survivalist type of scenario that everything is going to have to be firing on all cylindars, so to speak, for the basic survival of the family or group.... anyway.... just wanted to thank you for the info. Going to have someone else take a looksee at the links later and may have some questions for you at that time. S&F!!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn

Hey Tech...thanks for the info, I find it of interest and have been thinking about this here lately so for me at least this is very timely. I'm the one in my group in charge of food supply, gardening as prep (as you well know from my thread on gardening) and med. supplies/ basic knowledge. Physical fitness is a topic in that I think we can now focus on as a priority with the other things are very well underway.

It's all about a general connection to every aspect of survival, I feel. Good physical condition tends to lead to a more beneficial mental condition and vice versa. For those not in even fairly decent shape merely going out to the garden to do some weeding can exact a toll on the physical health. It's important to recognize that in a survivalist type of scenario that everything is going to have to be firing on all cylindars, so to speak, for the basic survival of the family or group.... anyway.... just wanted to thank you for the info. Going to have someone else take a looksee at the links later and may have some questions for you at that time. S&F!!

Thanks for the reply! And yes please do have more people check out the links..pass the information on to as many people as you can..And I will be more then happy to answer any questions they may have.. Thanks again for the reply.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I have been thinking about his lately. I am very thin and have a hard time eating enough to maintain weight without any senerios. I am about 5'8" and find it hard to maintain my current 108. I think though I am very skinny but very fit this could be a problem for me so I am trying like he'll to beef up with some fat. I think those that live active lifestyles, not necesserarly fit, and have a little extra weight would fair well. Thay have some stored energy to get them through a few weeks of hard times and could adapt from there.

I also recently began giving extra attention to my teeth. You may think this is funny, but healthy teeth keep your body healthy. Bad teeth cause health problems, and in a worst case, I don't want to be stranded without a dentist, with a mouth full of painful rotting teeth.

Get a check up, get checked for and diseased gums and get any cavities filled beforehand.

Just my opinions.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What is the "fittest" involves physical conditioning as but one part.
Fitness will also include preparation, skills, creativity, intelligence, awareness, mental attitude, adaptability etc.
All of these should be worked on and given our technology-driven society most people would need to concentrate on awareness, creativity and primitive living skills as these seem to be largely ignored.
I've been working on survival skills for 40 years but 3 years ago I became disabled and can no longer run or even walk for much more than a mile or 2. Still, my chances are better than most; I'm stocked on food, medicines, ammo etc. Even if I have to bug out I can camouflage myself and hide in places few would expect. I can find food anywhere around where I live at any time of year without moving more than a few hundred yards. My awareness skills are good and I will usually spot people long before they see me (if they even do). I can use everyday items and things found in nature to create the few things I need.
It boils down to what your actual needs are - not wants.
You will need clean water, shelter, warmth and food.
Making fires can give you away so you must learn to insulate yourself with leaves, moss and other materials,
Learn the basic plants that can feed you anytime - Cattails, Pine, Grasses, Acorns along with common weeds like dandelion, plantain, mustards. There are roots that can be dug in the winter like Wild Carrot, Duck Potato, Arrowhead, certain Morning Glories.
Protein doesn't have to be in the form of game animals, you can still eat mice, rats, worms, insect larvae etc.
So who is the "fittest"?
I contend it will be those who have a wide set of skills and abilities rather than those who concentrate too much on shooting skills, physical conditioning and fighting skills.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wetpaint72
I have been thinking about his lately. I am very thin and have a hard time eating enough to maintain weight without any senerios. I am about 5'8" and find it hard to maintain my current 108. I think though I am very skinny but very fit this could be a problem for me so I am trying like he'll to beef up with some fat. I think those that live active lifestyles, not necesserarly fit, and have a little extra weight would fair well. Thay have some stored energy to get them through a few weeks of hard times and could adapt from there.

I also recently began giving extra attention to my teeth. You may think this is funny, but healthy teeth keep your body healthy. Bad teeth cause health problems, and in a worst case, I don't want to be stranded without a dentist, with a mouth full of painful rotting teeth.

Get a check up, get checked for and diseased gums and get any cavities filled beforehand.

Just my opinions.

It sounds to me like you are a extreme Ectomorph..(I will provide a link at the end of this post for more information)..You would Benefit from using a weight gainer protein shake..Cytogainer is a great product for that..it is a big tub of powder.. it contains 580 clean calories (all good for you)..you just mix 4 scoops together with some water, or milk..and drink after you workout..or replace breakfast with it..

I used to be the same way, I started using a serving a day.and gained 10 pounds in lean muscle mass in about a months time.. Just don't go to crazy with it.. You don't wan't to bulk up too much..

If you find that the Cytogainer is too costly. you could also make your own weight gainer shake..It's simple.. Buy a tub of whey protein for 10$.. use 2 scoops, a cup of milk, and a scoop of peanut butter.. put this all into a blender..Tastes great and it packs in the clean calories..

Link

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
What is the "fittest" involves physical conditioning as but one part.
Fitness will also include preparation, skills, creativity, intelligence, awareness, mental attitude, adaptability etc.
All of these should be worked on and given our technology-driven society most people would need to concentrate on awareness, creativity and primitive living skills as these seem to be largely ignored.
I've been working on survival skills for 40 years but 3 years ago I became disabled and can no longer run or even walk for much more than a mile or 2. Still, my chances are better than most; I'm stocked on food, medicines, ammo etc. Even if I have to bug out I can camouflage myself and hide in places few would expect. I can find food anywhere around where I live at any time of year without moving more than a few hundred yards. My awareness skills are good and I will usually spot people long before they see me (if they even do). I can use everyday items and things found in nature to create the few things I need.
It boils down to what your actual needs are - not wants.
You will need clean water, shelter, warmth and food.
Making fires can give you away so you must learn to insulate yourself with leaves, moss and other materials,
Learn the basic plants that can feed you anytime - Cattails, Pine, Grasses, Acorns along with common weeds like dandelion, plantain, mustards. There are roots that can be dug in the winter like Wild Carrot, Duck Potato, Arrowhead, certain Morning Glories.
Protein doesn't have to be in the form of game animals, you can still eat mice, rats, worms, insect larvae etc.
So who is the "fittest"?
I contend it will be those who have a wide set of skills and abilities rather than those who concentrate too much on shooting skills, physical conditioning and fighting skills.

No doubt, all of this will play a extremely important roll in a survival of the fittest like setting. I have gone over most of this before many times..And i know it has all been posted many times..I noticed that the fitness part was the only missing link. So I decided to provide it..
star for you though, As it is all equally important.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Well this post is for the people who want my help.. Though I respect all of your options on the subject..I still feel it is not only important, but necessary to be physically fit in this world we live in today..Regardless of a doomsday scenario or not..

This world is a living hell that throws something new at us every single day..And I would much rather be prepared for it all then not to be..

I know what you're saying...

But me, I think were here for a time - we can make it good, or we can make it last.

What is the point of a life spent ebbing slowly toward death as opposed to on just waiting for it?

It's not sad, it's logical.

Experience everything. Run head first into the unknown.

or else we're just living to work - pay - rinse, wash , repeat.

??

Life can't throw daggars at me, I'm not going to miss anything. short of actual physical harm - I need my arms...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join