It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we attack Iran?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Ideology aside, please...

Everyone, including DEMOCRATS, voted for the war in Iraq. [Fact]

Now that we have strong evidence that ties al-Qaeda to Iran, do we attack them now?

We took on Saddam with less evidence.

What kind of message are we sending if we leave Iran be?

Seriously, don't bring your party affiliation into this. I just want homest opinions.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Unlike Iraq, Iran has a decent army and air-force. They would put up a heck of a fight compared to the Iraqis. It would be much harder to 'win' there.

I'd have to vote for no.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
You would vote 'no' because they would put up a bigger fight than Iraq?

OK.

What about going after terror? This is a country that has aligned themselves with the group that killed nearly 3,000 Americans on September 11, 2001.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
How could any person say no? We (USA) should have put our foot down in 1979. Looking the other way damn sure dosen't work. It's my fear that we won't because all the BS in Iraq. Too many people have forgot about 911 and all the other crap. Not enough people understand that Iran could put a nuke in the US. That being siad would make 911 look like a walk in the park. People need to wake up and see the threat, it's real. I wonder what proof or how much proof Bush would have to show congress before they got on thier feet. Hope not as much as 911. The best defense is a good offence.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I say no, because I honestly don't think the US could do it. It would mean many more deaths than the Iraq war. I can't see your citizens sticking with it when it would cost billions and billions and see many, many deaths.

You still need to finish the job in Afghanistan and Iraq. How stretched would the US troops be, fighting in three countries?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
War with Iran would not be like Iraq, you don't have to be smart to understad that one. War isn't fought to be nice, it's not good prime time TV news. Rivers of blood will flow though the desert sand. Both American and Iran lives will be lost, better in the desert then NYC.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. How can we say 'no' to war because we're affraid lives will be lost? Ignoring the problem will lead to deaths anyways.

Yes, if we attacked Iran, people would die. Maybe twice as many as the American death toll in Iraq, which was somewhere near 900 last time I checked. 900 deaths in over 1 year's time, in war terms, is minor!!! Do you know how many Americans died at Normandy in ONE DAY??? Roughly 2,500.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by kramtronix]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
That is exactly what Al Queda wants is for us to attack Iran, so they can skirt off to Syria or Egypt while we are bogged down in yet another desert conflict. A strong military presence in Iraq/Afganistan, while boosting up forces here in ConUS for a possible Pacific campaign would be the priority. So I am saying... not no, not yes, just simply....
not yet! Let's finish other stuff first, *then* surround and crush them.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Crysstaafur]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I think it would be far more than twice as many deaths
Also, it was 2500 allied troops, not 2500 US troops.
Simply beating other countries into submission is not always the answer.

But, you don't want to hear my arguments, quite obviously, as you say I'm talking crap.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Zzub]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
"Seriously, don't bring your party affiliation into this. I just want homest opinions."

I gave my honest opinion knowing what I know. Is that what you asked for? What is your opinion? Don't be so sure of yourself. Open your eyes and ears you will see there is no soultion. Or you can look the other way, until it hits you in the face again.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
For those who have not been paying attention, the U.S. could utterly smoke Iran in a shooting war. That's not nationalistic jingoism, just a statement of fact.

The details are probably better suited to another thread, but rest assured, Iran does not have the mojo to take on the U.S., even in a purely defensive war.

But more importantly, it's an academic question because the U.S. is not going to get into a shooting war with Iran. Instead, we will watch as Iran cleans out its own barn, with the help of some professional "cleaners".

A similar project is underway in North Korea at the moment. Kim Jong-Il, if he survives (unlikely), will be drawing unemployment soon. Expect to see a banner reading "Under New Management" flying over North Korea before long.

So it is with Iran. The process is already underway. Mehdi Karubi and his Council of Guardians will soon be looking for new accomodations, because they will no longer be welcome in Iran. Don't believe me? Check the news coming out of Iran. It has already begun.

Be patient. Geopolitical revolutions take time and are not as easy as they look.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
Simply beating other countries into submission is not always the answer.
[edit on 20-7-2004 by Zzub]

It sounds like we at least concur that Allied forces should just wait and hold their cards for bit and let things cool down, before trying anything else. I do agree we are too spread out to make an effective difference, short of using purely automatonic means which would be expensive at this point in time.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Some people talk. Some peolpe listen. The key is to do both. Learn that the past is gone, but the future is ours to shape and mold into what you (we) want. I want the people who seek to harm me (USA) gone. That's the soultion. Sorry for you, I'm sure that was a hard one to hear. The world would be a better place with less people who want the USA gone.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I say yes.Iran is on G.W.B's axis of evil list..so was Iraq and so is North Korea...The Bush Administration has their minds made up on the war on terror.And since We now say Iran was involve in helping in the 911 plot it would look bad if we didnt

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
We put very strong political pressure/sanctions on them, and make their own police find and imprison any terrorists they may be harboring.

If they come over here, and haven't killed themselves first, then we'll arrest and try them.

If we are hit with an attack, we get world backing/support/troops/funding and help the IRanians root out the extremeists.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Afghanistan was also on that list...two down two to go

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango
We put very strong political pressure/sanctions on them, and make their own police find and imprison any terrorists they may be harboring.

If they come over here, and haven't killed themselves first, then we'll arrest and try them.

If we are hit with an attack, we get world backing/support/troops/funding and help the IRanians root out the extremeists.

That's a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!
World backing/support/troops/funding. Why didn't we do this before? Maybe we should have tried this move on iraq. OH! Fuc_me we did, and now the truth that the UN is joke is painful. Funding for other coutries mess is ONLY for the USA. Who is going to give us money to go beat up on a nice little country like Iran? Your cave must be dark and deep.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by castellammare78

That's a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!
World backing/support/troops/funding. Why didn't we do this before? Maybe we should have tried this move on iraq. OH! Fuc_me we did, and now the truth that the UN is joke is painful. Funding for other coutries mess is ONLY for the USA. Who is going to give us money to go beat up on a nice little country like Iran? Your cave must be dark and deep.

well, maybe this time we'll have reliable intelligence.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Not every American hero wears a uniform. Operations are being conducted by people so brave descriptions of them defy words.

We will never see their faces in the papers. Some will triumph against all odds, some be left in unmarked graves. They know the terms, and they accept them, willing to die anonymously, alone and unmourned by anyone but their families, who will receive word that they died in a "training accident".

Because of their work, thousands of Americans will not have to die in wars.

Iraq was a case where conventional war was the only choice. Iran and North Korea are vastly different, as we shall all see soon enough.

The war continues apace, but not necessarily in ways we will be able to see. But it continues, nonetheless.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
What are the links between al-queda and Iran?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join