It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 156
<< 153  154  155    157  158  159 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

So the panic about the water touching is due to the steam carrying fallout, and the fuel explosion scattering fallout.

Thanks for the information.

P.S. is there any link to information confirming that the fuel would explode if touched by water?
edit on 12-3-2011 by SecretSky because: requesting source

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Not to be a total jerk, but can the people just joining this thread do us all a favor and at least read the last 10 pages or so....no need to keep repeating all the same info that is already here 5x over...
edit on 12-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: becuase its late

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thomas_

Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano has confirmed the explosion at Fukushima-Daiichi. "We are looking into the cause and the situation and we'll make that public when we have further information," he is quoted as saying by Reuters.

It's now official

I guess the person who claimed it was all CGI was wrong. Not that a quick check of all the news sites on the Internet wouldn't have confirmed that.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Reply to post by defenestrator

Yeah, here is a map of reactors in the US. www.insc.anl.gov...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
They think this is worst case scenario. They think the core is breached.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
An answer for those asking questions about radiation damage and/or sickness...

All I know of is Potassium iodide.

peace

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Just saw the explosion at the nuclear plant!

Looked mighty powerful!

In some of the clips,you can see the shockwave passing through the roof!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
Just saw the explosion at the nuclear plant!

Looked mighty powerful!

In some of the clips,you can see the shockwave passing through the roof!

do you have a link?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

How many of those reactors are actually currently functional and would pose a threat? At least the one by me hasn't been "hot' in over 10 years.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Health effects of cesium
Humans may be exposed to cesium by breathing, drinking or eating. In air the levels of cesium are generally low, but radioactive cesium has been detected at some level in surface water and in many types of foods.

The amount of cesium in foods and drinks depends upon the emission of radioactive cesium through nuclear power plants, mainly through accidents. These accidents have not occurred since the Chernobyl disaster in 1986. People that work in the nuclear power industry may be exposed to higher levels of cesium, but many precautionary measurements can be taken to prevent this.

It is not very likely that people experience health effects that can be related to cesium itself. When contact with radioactive cesium occurs, which is highly unlikely, a person can experience cell damage due to radiation of the cesium particles. Due to this, effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and bleeding may occur. When the exposure lasts a long time people may even lose consciousness. Coma or even death may than follow. How serious the effects are depends upon the resistance of individual persons and the duration of exposure and the concentration a person is exposed to.

Environmental effects of cesium
Cesium occurs naturally in the environment mainly from erosion and weathering of rocks and minerals. It is also released into the air, water and soil through mining and milling of ores.
Radioactive isotopes of cesium may be released into the air by nuclear power plants and during nuclear accidents and nuclear weapons testing.

The radioactive isotopes can only be decreased in concentration through radioactive decay. Non-radioactive cesium can either be destroyed when it enters the environment or react with other compounds into very specific molecules. Both radioactive and stable cesium act the same way within the bodies of humans and animals chemically.

Cesium in air can travel long distances before settling on earth. In water and soils most cesium compounds are very water-soluble. In soils, however, cesium does not rinse out into the groundwater. It remains within the top layers of soils as it strongly bonds to soil particles and as a result it is not readily available for uptake through plant roots. Radioactive cesium does have a chance of entering plants by falling on leaves.

Animals that are exposed to very high doses of cesium show changes in behaviour, such as increased or decreased activity.

Read more: www.lenntech.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

You asked for a link - this is the last one I had, but by far not the only one...

peace

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
HOLY ****! So I haven't been home for hours or been able to visit the boards to see the updates, but I come home, turn on CNN, and see "BREAKING NEWS!" and it's about how that nuclear thing exploded.

First off, that's insane that it actually happened....

Can someone please give me a rundown of what has all happened since this afternoon? Like what happened in Ecuador because of the tsunami? Anymore tsunami warnings elsewhere? What's going on in Japan?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I'm wondering if some of the problems we're having getting consistent news and information from Japan is due to only three days ago they appointed a new foreign minister? Or, if only the total confusion state and aftermath of the catastrophe.

Japan names new foreign minister

Can you imagine what hell he's going through and only a couple days on the job!

Something to keep in mind...

peace
edit on 12-3-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by defenestrator
reply to post by cabuki

You'll be fine, Mr. Floridian. if TSHTF in Japan you'll be just fine for several days minimum, and probably not effected at all.
Anyway, this is a crappy thing to wake up to, I had heartburn and got up to take an acid reducer, had to check on the reactors of course, and now I can't sleep.
My best hopes are with Japan that this disaster is not as bad as it appears, but the horror seems still to be mounting. Let's all do what we can to help them in wake of this tragedy. Remember, west coasters, this CAN happen here, and we would want everyone's support if it did, just imagine!

My brother please don't take this the wrong way. But we don't have to imagine this anymore. I'm looking at it now.

link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by johnthejedi24
I repeat 101.5 rems per hour, 50% fatalities after 5-6 hours, 100% after 9-11. I live in Scottsdale,AZ and I am starting to get worried about fallout.....
edit on 12-3-2011 by johnthejedi24 because: (no reason given)

I live in oregon my friend.....wondering if its time to break out the B.O.B....

72 hours is all you rekon?

it's the INCH bag time man...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Don't want his job.

link   

link   
This situation is a disaster of epic proportion and in my years on this earth, I can't recall an event this devastating. It just continues to spiral out of control. From the massive earthquake, periodic aftershocks, water logged towns and cities, probably untold thousands dead, and this ever changing nuclear emergency. As bad as the other affects from this disaster are, this Fukishima nuclear emergency gives me the creeps.

From increasingly high temperatures in the core, inoperable emergency generators, and now reports of an explosion. This is shaping up to be a re-run of Chernobyl, but this time they have an environmental disaster to trudge through to respond to the emergency at the plant, and it will no doubtingly hamper any evacuation efforts. It seems very difficult to compartmentalize the response to this disaster, because to many serious scenarios are all happening at once and in real time. This is a disaster for the ages. I am attentively watching this scenario very closely.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Removed to stay on topic.

My apologies.
edit on 12-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 153  154  155    157  158  159 >>

join