It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason why you're not taken seriously

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hitoshura

Originally posted by Motive
Ever wondered why alot of people simply don't want to be open to the concept of things such as abductions, or ET's already visiting Earth? Look at the way so many people act on the forum.

My point is, the attitude the majority of this forum has really doesn't do ANY favours whatsoever for this "community" or for the general ideology behind ET's and such.

The people that want to learn don't make crazy threads and many will read around instead of posting. So you can't judge the attitude of most of the people here. People that come here and scoff after seeing the latest threads instead of looking further into what the good posters have said over the years, in my opinion, just aren't ready to have their perceptions changed.

Maybe they prefer a sudden shock in the future instead of a gradual shift over time, who knows. In fact maybe they'll be fine, because it seems like if anyone is out there (or with us right now, every day.) they're making sure that people don't have that sudden shock.
edit on 6-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

There's without doubt a large portion of ATS users that are of the type I described. It's not just thread makers, its alot of the replies they get, or even replies on decent threads that hold back the subject rather than advance it.

I've been registered for 7 months, and read the site just as often for a longtime before then, I think thats a pretty good timeframe to be able to speculate.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Motive
There's without doubt a large portion of ATS users that are of the type I described. It's not just thread makers, its alot of the replies they get, or even replies on decent threads that hold back the subject rather than advance it.

I've been registered for 7 months, and read the site just as often for a longtime before then, I think thats a pretty good timeframe to be able to speculate.

There's no point worrying about it. If you're that bothered all you can do is try to post decent stuff yourself and hope to inspire others like the decent posters here do on a daily basis. Gotta admit the thing that bugs me is people drifting off because they don't see the point any longer. The more that stick around and make sense the better, they're needed.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
OP I'm entirely with you. I've been interested in the paranormal, aliens and conspiracies for most of my adult life and I've seen things I can't explain. Whilst I'm very open minded, I want to see actual, honest to goodness proof!

I've been visiting ATS for just over a year now, just reading and taking things in. However as I've stated in another thread, over the last few months my patience has dwindled and so has my belief in many of the subjects here. I think the tipping point has been all the Planet X and 2012 stuff, especially all the 'gut feelings' and 'sense that Nibiru is close by...' Absolutely drives me mad.

I also find the fact that anyone who attempts to question a topic gets labelled a government disinformation agent, debunker or a derogatory 'sceptic' deeply insulting. Let me tell you, I live in a small village in North Wales, surrounded by sheep, cows and fields, I have never met a government agent and don't hope to, but I do hope that I retain my ability for critical thinking.

I just want to offer this. I work as a journalist, every day I have to consider critically and reasonably doubt the stories I'm being told by members of the public, simply because quite often they didn't quite add up. 2 + 2 doesn't make 5 and every day, I have to look at what I'm writing and make sure that it makes 4. I apply the same logic when I visit this site.

Having said that, I know the response I'll get is 'ah yes, but the nature of these topics are that they don't make sense' so it's impossible to win.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
There is one thing about aliens that we can be sure of - THEY EXIST. That is only the distinction that you have to make, there ARE aliens that are just as if not more intelligent than us on other planets in this galaxy, and in countless other galaxies.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by Slipdig1
reply to post by badw0lf

How did I guess that you would be here? You even tried to dis info everyone about me, them ran away and no you hide come out come out.

Yep, funny little thing about timezones.. But never mind, I explained everything to you before I went to sleep.

You just wouldn't accept it. Which leads me to the same question you just asked Motive - Why do you come here if you already have your mind made up? Why not just stay on youtube and proselytize to the gang there who oooh and ahhh without restriction or thought?

Oh but then again, you just called me a disinfo this time in reply TO me and not someone else.

here's your bunnyhat!

I love how you quote people and twist there words tho', I said you tried to dis info me, not you are a disinfo agent. You did post on my thread that you think someone is not who they say they are, without any evidence. Was this not an attempt to ridicule and make the thread look bad? You coulda fooled me.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I love how you quote people and twist there words tho', I said you tried to dis info me, not you are a disinfo agent. You did post on my thread that you think someone is not who they say they are, without any evidence. Was this not an attempt to ridicule and make the thread look bad? You coulda fooled me.

Slipdig I like how you said I was also putting words in your mouth, then when I actually QUOTED that you dwindled on about the "PROOF" in your thread, you went quiet and started it up with someone else. Stop trying to derail any intelligent discussion, its getting boring.

Originally posted by SystemResistor
There is one thing about aliens that we can be sure of - THEY EXIST. That is only the distinction that you have to make, there ARE aliens that are just as if not more intelligent than us on other planets in this galaxy, and in countless other galaxies.

While I BELIEVE the same, I can't say that it's definitely true. I can't sit here and say, YES THEY EXIST. And they're just as intelligent/more intelligent than us, and they're in countless other galaxies. Because we have no idea, whatsoever.

Sure, right now it looks as though its more than likely, but that doesn't really cut it. We know close to nothing about the universe, our understanding of things outside of our own planet are so minuscule that you can't estimate any kind of probability. Literally for all we know, the "universe" could be expanding into a vortex of doom, that disintegrates everything, and the stars and planets we see not far from us are simply just imprints of what's already popped, and we're next. - Obviously I'm not saying this with any shred of belief, and like I said, I believe there are ET's out there, in multiple galaxies, but I refuse to become one of those people that will say, yes, its fact. Because it certainly isn't. And if there are ET's out there, we also have NO IDEA that they're more advanced than us, they could be spread so thinly that there's only a handful, and we could be the most advanced. I also don't believe that to be true, but notice I'm saying BELIEVE not KNOW. No one KNOWS.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmastashi

Why are threads about Planet X and 2012 preventing you from commenting on reports like these, statements like these or government documents like these?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Fully agree with the OP.

This forum is flooded with the most gullible people around. In obvious hoax threads you get several pages with plenty ''Great video if real'', I mean dont give props to a video if you havent examined it for yourself.

The other hoax threads where someone claims to shoot aliens , or seen a UFO, get tons of replies with dozens of people that cling on to the OPs every word whos clearly just toying with them. Like staying up all night waiting for a op to post pics...its crazy

Even in the Jerusalem UFO vid thread after it was proved to be a hoax, you got plenty of other people still not giving up on it.

There are alot of great posters here no doubt but the bad ones are in bulks.

Those who call skeptical posters sheep etc are just sheep themselves

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
reply to post by grandmastashi

Why are threads about Planet X and 2012 preventing you from commenting on reports like these, statements like these or government documents like these?

I'll chime in on this one:

Most of the time, threads like those (while both well-written and researched, kudos for that Karl) are about older cases that have been combed over many, many times already by people who are much better at doing their research and coming up with alternative theories than I. I try to keep the 'praise without content' posts to a minimum (as well as the opposite), and a post that I can add zero insight to is already well-enough covered that I don't need to insert my opinion.

Remember, we're all here for a reason. If we weren't interested in the subject, we wouldn't take the time out to read, research, and cast so much opinion about it, so (speaking for myself) I do read those threads and find them very interesting. This thread, which was mentioned earlier as another example of what you're talking about, was also extremely interesting.

Why then, do skeptics (or at least myself) not slap their foreheads and say "Oh, you're right, I'm wrong. You win, I lose! Good game."? Because nothing is ever conclusive. Imagine how frustrating it is to see all of this supposed evidence, piles and piles of photographs, witness testimony, videos, government documents, all of it, and yet still no conclusion from anyone in an area of science that could give this thing a case closed.

So, the next obvious train of thought that comes up is "So you have to have someone else tell you what's real? Can't you think for yourself?" You bet I can, and at this point I choose to follow the scientific method, which has shown no real results in conclusively pointing toward ET visitation as an explanation for UFOs. Maybe I'll have a personal experience one day and my view of reality will change. It could happen. However, that still won't show that reality to anyone else, because they hadn't experienced it alongside me.

So, while I read many, many threads on this site, I comment on few. There's no need to try to shout above the crowd just to give nothing worthwhile to the conversation. Again, there are many members on this site who craft very good threads, and they don't go unnoticed.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Why are we not being taken seriously. Really? Want me to list the thread titles on this very forum at this very moment? If that doesn't answer the question dare to click on them and all your doubt will be settled. We are portrayed by complete, ignorant idiots. And we allow it because we must be "politically correct" and keep an "open mind."

The same problem with the downfall of modern society. Those that fail to understand my simple point are a large part of the problem.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Why are we not being taken seriously. Really? Want me to list the thread titles on this very forum at this very moment? If that doesn't answer the question dare to click on them and all your doubt will be settled. We are portrayed by complete, ignorant idiots. And we allow it because we must be "politically correct" and keep an "open mind."

The same problem with the downfall of modern society. Those that fail to understand my simple point are a large part of the problem.

I don't know how exactly you think people supposedly try to be "politically correct" on a forum named AboveTopSecret. I also don't see what the problem of keeping an open mind is, my point is that too many people jump on things at face value alone, they don't do their own critical research or engage in meaningful discussion.

I think you're making massive leaps, first to political correctness, then to the downfall of modern society, neither of which I think are particularly true in context.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The reason why we are not taken seriously is due to people like Billy Meier, Rael and such.

lol..I recently read a news about another one of those 'successful' prophecy of Meier's coming true. But when you listen to astronauts, they have something to say. They have long been involved in amazing things. Aldrin, Mitchell have been telling us about the real deal. I would any day believe in Dr.Mitchell than someone like Meier or Raelian movement.

We need threads like these occasionally to get people back to Earth. UFOs and Aliens are a business nowadays. But that shouldn't stop us from believing in the obvious-that aliens are real and they are already here.And we need a kick start to some Meier's thread. Because I am bored

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Motive

Mate i never quit with you or went quiet at all I went to sleep. I was trying to talk to Bad Wolf it is clear.

There you go putting words in my mouth again. I said that they would not accept any proofs. Meaning this is the reaction they give in every thread. I did not mean that I had any yet, just that if there was any you all wouldn't accept it anyway. So again good work with the taken people out of context thing. This is one of your main tools tho hey?

I v'e given some proof now If you wanna go look. At least proof it is not a laser pointer in the film.

Also am I not allowed to talk to others in your thread am I? sorry I'll know better next time your highness.

I will also report to you now before I post anything for a discussion, just to see if its up to your standards and beliefs. Just to make sure you approve, cos your ultimately right? right?

Do you own this site by the way? So why is anyone putting up with you telling us how it should be?

By the way anyone else want me to report to them, since you all think your so smart.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Motive

Mate i never quit with you or went quiet at all I went to sleep. I was trying to talk to Bad Wolf it is clear.

There you go putting words in my mouth again. I said that they would not accept any proofs. Meaning this is the reaction they give in every thread. I did not mean that I had any yet, just that if there was any you all wouldn't accept it anyway. So again good work with the taken people out of context thing. This is one of your main tools tho hey?

I v'e given some proof now If you wanna go look. At least proof it is not a laser pointer in the film.

Also am I not allowed to talk to others in your thread am I? sorry I'll know better next time your highness.

I will also report to you now before I post anything for a discussion, just to see if its up to your standards and beliefs. Just to make sure you approve, cos your ultimately right? right?

Do you own this site by the way? So why is anyone putting up with you telling us how it should be?

By the way anyone else want me to report to them, since you all think your so smart.

All I hear in every single one of your posts is "WAAAH STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH WAAAH".

Read my quotes, you said "They wont accept any proof", while referring to your Kid Catches Alien on Video thread. Which, as I said, is either blatantly saying you think it shows proof, or you just worded it badly. I gave you the chance to say yea okay, I worded it badly thats not what I meant. Instead all you come out with once again is WAAAH STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH WAAAH. Grow up.

I also didn't say you couldn't reply to anyone else. I just pointed out the fact you pulled the same "stop twisting my words" stunt on me, and when I called you on it and proved your delusion, you went quiet and pulled the same stunt on someone else lol.

I almost can't be bothered to reply to the rest of your post, as it sounds too much like you're throwing your toys out of the pram. I've tried to be civil, given you props for your other UFO thread, yet all you do is play the victim. Get over it already.
edit on 8-3-2011 by Motive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Motive

No your taking me out of context as much as you wanted what I said to mean that it didn't.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Motive

See there you go again I didn't go quiet, Like I said I went to sleep, I just wanted to have a go at Bad Wolf, because he had been giving it to me. Am I not allowed to do this? That had nothing to do with what you and me were discussing.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Zzzz slipdig throwing your toys out the pram again. If you can't bring any level of maturity to the thread then I don't know what you plan to get out of it. I'll leave you to it now, it just feels like I'm being trolled now as every post of yours is the same as the last. Enjoy.

Originally posted by radkrish
The reason why we are not taken seriously is due to people like Billy Meier, Rael and such.

lol..I recently read a news about another one of those 'successful' prophecy of Meier's coming true. But when you listen to astronauts, they have something to say. They have long been involved in amazing things. Aldrin, Mitchell have been telling us about the real deal. I would any day believe in Dr.Mitchell than someone like Meier or Raelian movement.

We need threads like these occasionally to get people back to Earth. UFOs and Aliens are a business nowadays. But that shouldn't stop us from believing in the obvious-that aliens are real and they are already here.And we need a kick start to some Meier's thread. Because I am bored

I agree with your first paragraph, I think there are a fair few people out there that come up with crazy theories, off the top of their head, Meier, Lazar, Rael etc. And people buy into it without a second thought, and theorise ontop of it so the lies just seem to grow and grow, sucking more people in and making a subject as difficult as Aliens and UFO's even more hazey because now you have a bunch of crazy theories about underground alien/human bases and the like floating around. It just astonishes me, the amount of people that come forward with stories such as "I worked for the government, I was lowered down into a tunnel with military personnel, and there stood an 8 foot tall grey alien, that proceeded to shoot laserbeams at us".. BUT THEY ACTUALLY GET PODIUMS to spew this rubbish, then direct you to the back of the lecture hall to purchase the latest book, or pay for an autograph. It's a shame so many people get sucked in by the con artists.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The reason we are not taken seriously can be summed up with two answers.

1. The growing division between 'nuts and bolts' ufology and the more exotic theories which seem to strangely get more press.
2.A need for more 'media friendly' spokespeople who can get our views expressed and taken seriously.I worry where the next generation is coming from in regard to this area.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Some of the reason we're not taken seriously is obvious just on this page alone...

This about sums it up...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The problem is people dont get the concept of credibility. When a rational person make a prediction that doesnt come true. That person will be quiet and try to see what went wrong in their prediction. Go back to the drawing board and builds a better scientific model before making another bold statement. A cult member will just ignore their error and keep making predictions.

Theres a rumor that Niburu will be near earth on 3/15/2011. For the sake ill credibility, I will predict that it will not at all and these cult members whom they call themselves believers will make another prediction of a future date.
edit on 8-3-2011 by vinunleaded because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join