It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fallen Marine's father says anti-gay pickets will draw gunfire

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by lardo5150
Here is how I see it...

1. Those people are disgusting. They get a rise out of people (including me) that I have never seen before.
2. They have a right to say what they want. protected under freedom of speech. Period. just like the KKK, Black Panthers, Hippies, etc. etc. etc.

Now, here is where I think this is an easy matter. They are disrupting a service. How come, when the groups mentioned above want to protest, they have to get permits to march, have a scheduled date, etc. This is so they cannot disrupt daily business, traffic, etc.

Easy fix would be for local govs to just enact something that states hey, you want to protest, you must have a permit, a scheduled date and time, and then they are given a time frame. Oh, and this must be made 3 months in advanced

They will never be able to protest at a funeral again, because they could never get the permit to do it in time.

They want to hold scheduled protests? Get a permit like everyone else.

I dont know, seems easy? Oh and please dont bash me saying I am for these people, or I am not a "patriot", bla bla bla. Just trying to figure out a sensible solution to this.

My personal opinion is they are disgusting, and sooner or later they are going to protest the wrong funeral, and someone is going to get hurt...bad.

Requiring permits for protests, though it happens all the time, is unconstitutional. By requiring a permit you have essentially turned a right into a deniable privilege. So long as a protest is non violent then it is a protected right.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Movescamp

I agree with you about the people misinterpreting the bible for their own means, but as far as the don't treat man as you would a woman thing, I think I've found through your info one of the most disturbing things I've heard come from the bible.

Comparing the raping of soldiers to the treatment of women. Seems It's saying It's fine to force yourself on a woman there. But I may be taking It too literally.

The thing is, in homosexual relationships one of the two takes the role of the female, at some point in their intimacy. So It sounds to me like they're treating a man as you would a woman. That being at some point one is doing the penetration. Which I have no problem with. Let them live their lives as they please.

But I should get to the point, It seems like you're splitting hairs. Because that sure sounds like It's saying It's wrong to me. Which It isn't.
edit on 4-3-2011 by BoneMosaic because: Meh

edit on 4-3-2011 by BoneMosaic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
SCREW THE WBBC.

I would throw the 4th amendment back in their face.
Phelps is interfering with the grieving families right to practice religion.
That's how I would spin it.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
the whole reason the WBC is still around is that people keep talking about them. They are getting exactly what they want, publicity. If we were to ignore them, they would go away. Just think of the psychological impact if people just looked at them sadly and shook their heads, then walked away. You might get old Fred mad enough to take a swing at you. Then you would have a winning situation.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
There is no "hate speech" crime in America.

Oh? I think you may want to go check your facts.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobbyTarass
He can kill them all for all I care, they are bugs and should be crushed as bugs.

How ignorant can someone be to actually think that?

What if I wanted to do this to you? I guess with your logic it's all good.

You are an enemy of freedom.

Let's be clear; the Constitution and Bill of Rights gives us our "freedom" in reference to government. Government is prohibited from interfering with our "Freedom of Speech". In other words, they cannot outlaw free speech. It says nothing about protecting us from the reaction of others. If you want that; protection from the opinion of others, then you are supporting the very behavior you portray yourself to abhor. You can't have it both ways, sport. You can't support one group's right to free speech then deny another's.
edit on 4-3-2011 by General.Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I think Muzzleflash is making sense here people, I might not agree with everything he has said, but I do think he is making the most sense here so far; but I rather not waste time debating/arguing, I rather just share an opinion, and leave it at that in this case.

But it is good that everyone is sharing their opinions, though I hope that everyone tries to keep the mood more friendly.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The man is right.

Speaking for me as a father.
If my son was homosexual and got killed in the war...and some sick sadistic folk's tried to picked my kids funeral...
I would open fire on the entire lot of them.

Yes i would go to jail.
Yes i would kill a lot of people.
But something's you dont do is protest a mans funeral.
They are dead..the funeral is for the living to pay respects to the person they had Known in life.

So protesting the funeral isnt a slap at the soldier or the homosexuals funeral.
It is a direct attack at the grieving parents and family.

Either way i would open fire on them IF they tried that to me...AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK.
When the law doesnt work use ya own lol

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
There will only be a war when soldiers are willing to fight...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
-- Noam Chomsky

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I know they have the right to free speech and even thou I don't agree with what they say and how they go about protesting they do have the right to say what they want.Thats why freedom of speech is 1st because its the most important.You have to take the good with the bad.

Now having said the above I think tht they could go about what they do in a slightly different manner.This being they could stage rallys infront of government buildings and sites like that instead of funerals.In my opinion they do that because they know the people at the funeral are emotionally charged and might not be in the best of mind sets.So then they can spue there hate speech and get the reaction that they want from the funeral goers and in turn sue the funeral goers and make money by sueing them.

I don't agree with them or like them in any way but they do have a right under the constituion to do what they do.I think the problem is them using the 1st amendment to deliberatly antagonize people for the sole purpose of suing them.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SMR

Any funeral, whether military or civilian, is a private matter. It is a ceremony whereby family and friends can see the loved one off, forever. Even most imbeciles know that.

This is not a free speech matter, it is a privacy and respect matter.

If free speech entails going to a gathering where people are grieving and emotionally vulnerable, yelling out about homosexuals and how the deceased deserved to die, that is worse that yelling out "FIRE" in a crowded theatre.

Try going to a Mafia funeral and protesting organized crime. How'd that grab ya'????

I don't want to see violence occur in any of these protests, but given the circumstances, it's like turning on pure O2 in the presence of a fuel spill, and allowing people to smoke.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobbyTarass
If that makes me an enemy of freedom, I'm okay with it.

On the other hand giving the right to an hateful organisation to sue people because they reacted to WBC provocation during their son's burial must make you an enemy of intelligence and most propably one of the reason the US are running backward.

You don't give a gun to a retard, do you ? Don't give rights to those.
edit on 4-3-2011 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

Oh little ol me, the ONLY PERSON STANDING UP FOR WESTBORO ON EARTH, is the reason America is going backwards. Right.

You and the rest of society whom hates Westboro (Mainstream Opinion), are the reason America is going backwards. You are the reasons freedoms are being stripped away.

You are actually protesting the soldiers death by wanting to diminish what he/she died for - FREEDOM. Their blood paid for it.

And in reality, Westboro is celebrating their sacrifice by exercising that Right Granted to them for the price of that precious blood.

It's quite an ironic twist.
edit on 4-3-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

Put yourself in that situation man. What if it was your son they were protesting. Would you just smile and say well it's their freedom of speech!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I see two flocks of sheep, with morons in each flock.

Its probably safe to say there are plenty of folks who wouldn't be "gay" today if their family history was different, and it wasn't depicted as being so cool everywhere you look.

Its probably safe to say there are plenty of folks who wouldn't be "christian" if their family history was different, and it wasn't depicted as being so cool everywhere you look too.

I am threatened by neither of the above groups, and I don't begrudge them for traveling their own paths, even if they are being led by the nose.

I am an unarmed supporter of the right to bear arms and I am a straight supporter of your right to think you're gay. I want what most people probably want; to be left to my own devices. The above groups appear to have different agendas.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The Patriot Guard is best way to deal with these a**holes.
They will drown them out with their bikes if need be.

My brother was an Iraq vet he served 2 tours. He passed away in August and we had the Patriot Guard at his funeral just in case any protesters were there. No protesters showed up thankfully. And it was a sight to see all the Patriot Guard riders there with their flags for the ceremony. Some of the nicest people I have ever meet.

Visit them here:www.patriotguard.org...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
even though i do not think 2 wrongs make a right, my personal solution (other than getting a bat out) would be to get a list of everyone that attends one of these protest. keep track of them. when one of their loved one dies go to that funeral and do the same. see if they dont come arrest you. even though you have done the exact same to them! maybe if they could see how it feels then they could stop. or does anyone know when the next protest will be held? i have no problem using some vacation time and driving out there and flattenign every tire in that cemetary belonging to them. even though i am the police i WILL NOT condone this! i really wish they would do this where i work! i can promise that we would have everyone of them in jail for whatever minor violation we could find. from improper tread depth to lights not providing enough candescent light. there is a difference between what is "your rights" to what is known as "common sense"!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
West Baptist Chruch should be burned to the ground along with all its members. Thats how I feel.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'm absolutely shocked that no one has plowed through them with their car. Losing a child, especially to a senseless war is probably the worst life experience anyone can handle and then to have these idiots out there spewing hate and ignorance is going to push someone over the edge. I mean to some, losing a child is the end..after that a person really has nothing else to lose.

as for my opinion...I say plow through them already..Im sick and tired of hearing about these people and the sooner they become dust blowing in the wind the better.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

Originally posted by SMR
While I in no way condone violence as such, It wouldn't hurt to have a few paint ball or pepper ball guns out there for these creeps.

...you contradicted yourself because that is condoning violence... wbc is scummy, imo - but - if you physically harm one of them, you're just as scummy as they are...

...they have their kids protesting with them... dont you think those kids are screwed up enough without you and the other pro-violence people launching paint balls or pepper balls at them?...

Originally posted by SMR
If I go out and call someone a 'faggot' I would be arrested and charged for a hate crime.

...thats bs...

Give over. Physically assaulting these people doesn't make you as scummy as them. You Pacifists need to get a clue. To believe taking violence to these people would make you as bad as they are, it's pathetic.

It's the likes of yourself that have us living in an Orwellian hell hole. You've made violence a dirty word and killed any chance of Democracy.

You're nothing but a government controlled sheep. Obeying the wishes of the elite rulers. "If you bring violence or protest, you're nothing but scum, so be good little sheep". If people started kicking the ever living s/it out of these vulgar, repsulive, sorry excuses for human beings, they'd soon stop bringing their kids with them.

It shows again the extent to which Americans have been brainwashed into Pacifism. That wouldn't fly over here. They'd be found dead in a ditch, and everyone would rejoice in happyness.

The problem here is you lack an ability to empathise. You cannot empathise or understand the position of the family and friends who are victim to this disgusting, vile activity. So you condone it, whether you realise it or not, you condone it. You condone it by protecting their right to protest, while refusing the family and friends their right to break jaws.

I think they're absolutely disgusting and I would be happy to see someone John Rambo them with a big knife.

SMR

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well. After a good nights rest and actually DREAMING about this issue ...

I first want to say that I NEVER said to kill anyone. A few posts have quoted me as wanting to kill and that I am wrong. What is wrong is that I never condoned killing in any way of any WBC member. I made a silly suggestion of paint balls, that is all. It wasn't to be taken literal. I never said to kill anyone. If anything, a slap upside the back of the head for being a nuisance and immoral idiot.

I want to start off by saying some are taking "Freedom of Speech" for all it's worth but not looking at the exemptions. I posted all of these but they seem to have fallen on blind eyes.
Disturbing the Peace. Obscenity. Harassment. Verbal Abuse.
Those are all "Hate Crimes" stemmed from this "Hate Speech" that many seem to say is "Freedom of Speech"

Hate crimes (also known as bias-motivated crimes) occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group, usually defined by racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, class, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, social status or political affiliation.

"Hate crime" generally refers to criminal acts that are seen to have been motivated by bias against one or more of the types above, or of their derivatives. Incidents may involve physical assault, damage to property, bullying, harassment, verbal abuse or insults, or offensive graffiti or letters (hate mail).

I was thinking last night about ways to counter the WBC. I thought of all sorts of ways. Picket funerals of their loved ones. Maybe one of them dies of cancer and I could hold a sign that reads "God Hates People With Cancer" or "Pray For More Dead Cancer Patients"
Maybe when Phelps dies I could hold a sign that reads "God Hates Creepy Old Fred Phelps"

I then sat back and realized just how silly and ridiculous those signs would read. What a fool I would look like out there holding them. Imagine making my kid hold a stupid "Hate Sign" for something they probably have no clue about.

In the end all the WBC want is attention. They hide behind "Freedom of Speech" and just so there is no violence at any of their gatherings, they bring along their innocent children to hide and shield them from any possible scuffle.

One last thing. I see them holding up signs that read "God Hates America" Well if you follow the word of God then you must believe in this idea. For that I say GTFO !!!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join