It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe the Earth is expanding

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Besides these buildings are 20-50 years old would it being winter have anything to do with these service calls? I try not to look at the worst case possibility and start looking at the most easiest option. How often are these parts replaced instead of adjusted. Over time parts get worn out and expand which I'm sure you know, but if you adjust one part wouldn't that throw off the other part's?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN)
Besides these buildings are 20-50 years old would it being winter have anything to do with these service calls? I try not to look at the worst case possibility and start looking at the most easiest option. How often are these parts replaced instead of adjusted. Over time parts get worn out and expand which I'm sure you know, but if you adjust one part wouldn't that throw off the other part's?

Well,lets see,I live in a house built in 1960.I bought this house in 2000.
I painted my back porch then.
And a few times more after that.
There are some cracks in the porch.
They have never changed in the 10 years I have been here.
In the last month I noticed that those cracks are spreading.
about 1/8 ".
in the 10 years I have been here they have never done that.
Very subtle.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
I thought about this for awhile.
I work on elevators.
Elevators ride up and down on a set of rail,like tracks on a train.
We generally have a tolerance of
1/4 in. or less.
Now in the last couple of weeks,
I have had trouble calls where these
tolerances were compromised,
causing me to make adjustments.
And not just one elevator,not just one building.
But several .
After a building has been built,over time we have
to make adjustments to these elevators cause of buildings
settling.
But all of these buildings have been around
for 20 to 50 years.
Just odd that all of a sudden things are moving.

Here in Louisville,KY

Was one of the buildings the newer Humana pink tiled building? or the old "Citizens Fidelity Bank" black building? Wondering if the land is sinking slowly.. They hit bedrock for those buildings right? how far down? less that 70 ft or so?

What about Kaden Tower near dupont circle? (Miss seeing the holiday decorations in the windows during the holidays..) THAT elevator is amazing! The architecture in that building is so detailed!

Thanks!!!
edit on 3/5/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'm still confused on how an elevator shaft, probably just a guess at 10' square, compared to the Earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles can bring up the possibility that the Earth is expanding... Not to mention the elevator shaft is vertical not horizontal...
edit on 5-3-2011 by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN) because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax

Originally posted by kdog1982
I thought about this for awhile.
I work on elevators.
Elevators ride up and down on a set of rail,like tracks on a train.
We generally have a tolerance of
1/4 in. or less.
Now in the last couple of weeks,
I have had trouble calls where these
tolerances were compromised,
causing me to make adjustments.
And not just one elevator,not just one building.
But several .
After a building has been built,over time we have
to make adjustments to these elevators cause of buildings
settling.
But all of these buildings have been around
for 20 to 50 years.
Just odd that all of a sudden things are moving.

Here in Louisville,KY

Was one of the buildings the newer Humana pink tiled building? or the old "Citizens Fidelity Bank" black building? Wondering if the land is sinking slowly.. They hit bedrock for those buildings right? how far down? less that 70 ft or so?

What about Kaden Tower near dupont circle? (Miss seeing the holiday decorations in the windows during the holidays..) THAT elevator is amazing! The architecture in that building is so detailed!

Thanks!!!
edit on 3/5/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

Hey ,well I'm talking about norton hospital,pavillion to be exact.It use to be AMP or old Methodist Hospital.
And also Starks there at 4th and Mahomid.You know starks is pretty old,the mod those elevators in the 60's I think.Old Methodist was maybe mid 70's when they built that place. I noticed a big change after the flood
sept. of 2009? You know ,big rain and so on.
But after that there has been a subtle change.Been doing this for 25 years it thought it was odd,the changes and all.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN)
I'm still confused on how an elevator shaft, probably just a guess at 10' square, compared to the Earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles can bring up the possibility that the Earth is expanding... Not to mention the elevator shaft is vertical not horizontal...
edit on 5-3-2011 by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN) because: (no reason given)

Take a rectangular box,put a string with something heavy on it,much like a plumb bob,then tilt that box.
you will see the string stays in line with gravity,but the physical building moves
And our elevators are mounted on vertical guide rails,and with increased pressure on the guide rollers on the elevator,just like putting more weight on a car or truck with tires,they will compress with the added stress and weight.The roller guides are made of rubber.
So the more that the tall rectangular box tilts,the more pressure is applied to the rubber roller guides.
Get my drift?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
So then you take that elongated box and make it 10 stories high,or about 100 feet.
Then tilt it 1/4 of an inch.doesn't really seem much difference,but in
my little elevator world,it screws things up.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join