It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened To Russia’s Space Shuttle Program?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
OH and By The Way...

That BS about how 'cash strapped' the Russians are? Well more BS from your neighborhood terrorists... errr politicians....

Russia will spend 474 billion euros for defense by 2020

Russia will spend 474 billion euros to upgrade its army in 2020 and includes the construction of eight nuclear submarines, the purchase of more than 600 planes and a thousand helicopters, said Thursday the Department of Defense.
come from www.stock-market-today.cc

This program of military modernization will cost "more than 19,000 billion rubles (474 billion euros), said Deputy Defense Minister Vladimir Popovkin was quoted by Russian news agencies. "The strategic nuclear forces are the first priority of the program includes the construction of eight nuclear strategic submarines, equipped with Bulava," he said.
come from www.stock-market-today.cc

These intercontinental missiles with a range of 8,000 kilometers and can carry ten nuclear warheads, have experienced a series of failures in tests last year. Besides the nuclear weapons which will be dedicated 10% of program expenditures, "we will buy in 2020 more than 600 aircraft and more than 1,000 helicopters," as well as 100 ships and 56 missile systems-air S-400, Popovkin said.

www.stock-market-today.cc...

Maybe I should get some Russian space stocks while I can

Oppsy Cold War Phase Two

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Also Russia has a new secret weapon... something that will be very tough to beat...

SECRET WEAPONS
The New Russian Army

Beat THAT

NOTE: All images and press releases on this page are courtesy of the
Russian Federation Ministry of Defence

www.thelivingmoon.com...

From Russia With Love

Russia-NATO and Russia-US Strategic Partnership

NATO-Russia Founding Act on Mutual Relations, Cooperation and Security
The basic document and the core of mutual relations between NATO and Russia

NATO-Russia Council
The principal structure and venue for advancing the relationship between NATO and Russia

Russia-NATO, Russia-US partnership objectives
Objectives sought in defence cooperation

NATO-Russia relations formally began in 1991 at the inaugural session of the North Atlantic Cooperation Council (later renamed the Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council), which was created following the end of the Cold War as a forum for consultation to foster a new cooperative relationship with the countries of Central and Eastern Europe. A few years later, in 1994, Russia joined the Partnership for Peace programme – a major programme of practical security and defence cooperation between NATO and individual Partner countries.

PAPER: www.mil.ru...

NATO-Russia Council

Russia-NATO, Russia-US partnership objectives

NRC Organization

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

I surrender!

Do you think I'd get frisked?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

As the Soviets pointed out...

There are only so many ways to design a shuttle craft for optimal performance.

edit on 2-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zowza those are some hot babes. Makes one want to enlist in the Russian military.

It seems as if Russia is becoming more and more of a market based economy while the U.S. morphs into a "free market"/communistic society.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Very informative thread! I must profess my ignorance on this subject. Man now I have a whole lot of reading to do thanks Slayer!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Simply amazing! Special thanks to Slayer and Zorgon for a truckload of information. I feel like I just left a tennis match watching the back and forth going on.

Thank God this is only page 4. Took me quite a while to get to this page.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I knew Zorgon would have a treasure-trove of information.
I cant give my partner in crime enough recognition

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Kind of a tragic story Slayer, poor thing all smashed to bits. With how badly we've been treating our own planet part of me thinks we shouldn't be exploring space but another part of me thinks we better start exploring it much faster. After all our population is increasing and soon resources might be tight. I'd like to see some kind of semi-permanent colony in space in my lifetime. We need a Space Race 2.0.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Great thread with great information provided by all.

Still reading through all of the info, I do have one thought that might be answered as I read the rest of the info, but considering that both the Russian and US space programs were developed off of captured NAZI research and defected scientists, it does not surprise me how similar the shuttle programs were.

On a side note, I saw the below and had to comment:

Originally posted by zorgon
Also Russia has a new secret weapon... something that will be very tough to beat...

SECRET WEAPONS
The New Russian Army

Now that is what I call a secret weapon

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Thanks Slayer and Zorgon. The pictures are amazing. I only saw one picture of the Russian shuttle in a book I bought from the Kennedy Space Center. The picture showed a shuttle converted into a restaurant. So sad they ended their program.

I had the privilege of seeing a launch with my own eyes while driving to work one morning. I was 200 miles south of the launch site. A few years later I went to the KSC and took the deluxe tour. The bus drove around the southern launch pad. The engineering was amazing. Unfortunately there was no shuttle prepared on that platform. No tour bus is allowed to drive near a shuttle loaded launch pad. The bus eventually drove on a road near the ocean and went north to a central location between the north and south launch pads. We got out at an observation point and took photos of the northern launch pad which was loaded with shuttle Atlantis. You need binoculars to get a good view. Also the shuttle was covered by its protective mechanism so only the tip of the large orange rocket could be seen. I'm glad I went when I did because it's going to be all over soon.
edit on 2-3-2011 by lostinspace because: spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Apparently there isn't uniform skirt length or shoe styles...

edit on 2-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Space Program has always and will continue to be fascinating to follow.
Great thread. Very interesting.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
One thing I noticed.. reading the orginal post and then watching the video of the takeoff and landing. There is something odd about the launch. Too much fire around the shuttle and then a wall of fire it has to fly through above the launch pad.

What bothers me more is the launch was dead of night... article said "in orbit 208 minutes" which by my calculations is 3 hours and 28 minutes. It landed in broad daylight. Now I realize Russia has multiple time zones... but that was weird to see.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

I think the launch happened at the crack of dawn.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I've read the ppst but don't see your point, can you spell it out?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Hey Slayer guess what? SnF stud. I'm gonna be hearing that tune in my head for a week.
Of course I'm interested in our space program. What seems odd to me about the shuttle program. Is how long we stuck with that one design for space travel. Look at Chevrolet. How many times did they redesign the Corvette during the time NASA was using the same shuttle design? I guess they decided the shuttle would be there pack mule for space. They sure got alot done with that one work horse.
I wonder if they'll put away all the blasting off, rocket fuel burning engines, for some new way of getting up into space?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Great OP, slayer. Awesome contributions Zorgon and SKL.

On a quick sidenote, Kinda Kurious' act of awe is silly. He is as brilliant as any person on ATS, even if i disagree with his political views from time to time.

My take on this? We are in "joint shuttle missions" with Russia, while working more exotic technologies behind the scenes with China. Someone asked why China isn't buying out the old Russian crap. Well....because the United States DoD is helping them create gravitational control propulsion. For more information, look at my "Ning Li" thread. I am about the only one to really talk about it, so you can just Google "The Missing Dr. Ning Li" and find what I know about this story. Of course, Zorgon is very well informed on the story, as well.

But the point is driven home by what Buzz Aldrin has said regarding China being the next space power, and the next nation on the moon. It may seem comical, after their faux space walk footage of a couple of years ago. But we have our brightest minds working on it with them. On a side note, i have begun to think that Ning Li is definitely in CHina. She disappeared about the time that Dr. Baker headed out that way.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Thank you for the information.

I want to thank shooderz too for links he posted.

I really appreciate your contributions.

I am not yet to page 3 but I will make my way there tomorrow perhaps.

Just don't have enough time to read everything in a day.

So yeah, I'll start on page 3 of this sweet thread tomorrow.

Just wanted to make sure to thank everyone whos contributing to feeding my insatiable thirst for knowledge by taking the time to share what they have found with myself.

That's what make the Internet rule.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The Russians collapsed the roof in on purpose.. They figured why waste the fuel on this thing, and the risk for a public show when we already have flying saucers.
Also in that vid you made OP, were those astronauts bouncing around in the cockpit from a bumpy ride, or where they jamming to the beat of the song? Err err. Great post.

Deebo

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join