It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Confirmed!) We're hearing that police have joined the rally in WI after being asked to disperse th

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

see you must be someone who thinks your entitled to everything without having to actually work for it. its not a left right union non union thing. its actually working for what you want.

I've worked for companies that the employees were union and worked for companies that the employees weren't union. doing exactly the same job. and my pay was better and i had better benefits and actually worked less hours per week at the non union shop than at the union shop. and an added benefit i didn't have a union taking atleast 25% of my weakly pay go figure.

I think if everyone thats all for unions never been in a job that wasn't a union job actually got away from the brain washing that unions do to their members they would actually see that they have a better chance at a higher wage and better benefits if they weren't union, worked hard and negotiated for themselves, than rely on a union that negotiated a contract for everyone at the company that honestly doesn't look out for the union member. that contract only looks out for the union leadership. The union leadership could really not care about it members. the way they see it your expendable. there will always be someone dumb enough to believe they need a union to look out for them
edit on 2/27/2011 by Mercenary2007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I live in Madison and have been following this thing pretty closely. My husband was just at the protests yesterday, he's talked to different officers, they're very proud of the crowds and the fact that Wisconsinites have been very civil.

I found out that Governor Walker is trying to close the capitol at night, he told police that the only way to keep it open would be if they hold sleep ins and stay themselves overnight, which they are doing now. The police are pro union for the most part, I think the last nail in the coffin was Walker's tapped phone call saying he was considering planting people in the crowds to "cause a ruckus". The police chief found out about that and was pissed, he's calling Walker out to get more information about which of his constituents came up with the idea, or if it was Walker himself.
edit on 27-2-2011 by bekisu because: more info.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Hi there, Merc.

Some years ago, I worked for the Tillamook Country Smoker. It's where all that yummy Tillamook beef jerky comes from. It's a pretty big factory operation, given that it's in such a podunk corner of Oregon. Anyway, the place is vehemently non-union. And I can say that it was, without a doubt, the most unsafe place I have ever worked. Caustic chemicals, idiots firing pressure washers at each other, and all sorts of other OSHA violations.

The place promised a pretty good benefits package, but no one there ever got those bennies; ever. They kicked in after two years working there, and most people ended up fired at around 1 year, 11 months according to the word (I was only there two months, it was too insane for me). Unfortunately, Bay City, OR does not have that many other opportunities for employment, so after you got fired, you eventually ended up coming back to the Smoker seeing if they'd take you back; and they would, but your benefits would only kick in after 2 years.

And let's not even talk about the store they ran, which was the primary shop-spot for people in Bay City who didn't want to drive all the way out to the Fred Meyers in Tillamook.

Bottom line, the place was dangerous, had low pay, unquestionably took advantage of its workforce, definitely employed illegals, and was overall a terrible place to work. Was it because htey were non-union? I dunno, but as a member of a SEIU workshop now, I can see a huge difference in things.

By the by, don't eat Tillamook beef jerky. The place is rancid, and there's no goddamned telling what the oven cleaner content of your salty snack might be

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Good to see the opinion of the people being held up for what its worth! Only in America is all i can say

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It appears the police both high and low are kind of bothered by the govenor and his ilk, this should get interesting.

reply to post by Mercenary2007

25 percent of your check?
I suggest that someone is......fabricating and or does not know what they speak of.
If you care to rebut this please attach a copy of your stub, otherwise it will remain a fabrication.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Let's see. Taxpayers are protesting against themselves. Huh. These protestors should just go home and accept defeat. They are taking too much advantage of themselves --- the taxpayers. They should be fired for going AWOL and be charged for messing up the public place. If they really cared about keeping their jobs, they should learn to CHANGE and take a pay cut and other reduction in benefits.

Union dues are not necessary and obviously going towards various political agendas. There is no such thing as the "right to work". Why would these unions demand to work when the company (or taxpayers, in this case) cannot afford to keep (or hire new) dishonest SLACKERS? After all, don't the taxpayers owe themselves and society an opportunity to cut spending and help balance the budget? By protesting, taxpayers are just hurting themselves.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
We've all been fooled. This isn't about collective bargaining and unions at all. It was all a diversion.

www.dailykos.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

That's q great point. True enough. Thank you
Peace and One love

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
I have no idea what it is that this protest is about, but I'm getting paid to post whatever the field boss emails me anyway. Maybe if there was a union for wannabe writers who'll never amount to anything, and are just trying to find a way to make a living by typing stuff onto the Intenet, then I would join that union and not have to scrap so much crap off my soul every night before climbing into bed.

Then again, it's not as if those WI protesters are going to benefit me with any of this, so...

I THINK THAT THE GOVERNOR SHOULD CALL IN THE NATIONAL GUARD!!!! GODDAMN COMMUNIST NAZIS!!!!

Thank you, and goodnight

oh no....thank you.

Well spoken and obviously from the heart.

Good job, sir.
edit on 2/28/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

My experience has been similar.

In 1973, working for Hanimex, Brookvale NSW, I found that all the assembly and machine workers were female, and most were poor migrants, unaware of any rights. All the "bosses" were male. Any boss could have any woman sacked with no need for a reason.
This meant the women who worked there were treated as sex-slaves, either doing whatever "favours" the bosses wanted or losing their jobs. Many a time I saw women, faces shamed and downcast, following a boss into his room and come out crying. Sometimes they were just pushed into cupboards or made to do a quick blow-job behind a machine instead. Women were forbidden to speak at work, even in the cafeteria, but we managed to communicate anyway.

I was able to collect enough evidence before I left to have the company agree to allow unionisation rather than have their practises revealed. Once the place was unionised wages went up, women could be promoted and women could no longer be blackmailed into engaging in sex.

edit on 28/2/11 by Kailassa because: details

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
wow this is amazing, i wish the cops around where i live were this cool. AND im right in northern illinois! a couple of my cousins are up there protesting, they've been up there since day 1 and they say its not stopping anytime soon (send more pizza
haha). definetly keep us up to date with this thread

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Very cool move by the cops!!! They were excluded from the ban on collective bargaining rights...but luckily they were clever enough to see that if the other unions lose that right, it's only a matter of time until the GOP comes along saying "why should the cops have more rights" and then snatch away their rights as well.

Go protestors, and kudos to the WI police force!!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just saw this in the Huffington Post this morning. Looks like the police have allowed the protesters to stay and sleep in the capitol last night. That takes some guts on their part.

huffingtonpost.com

That doesn't really surprise me. Although the police and firefighters are not under direct attack in Walker's proposed budget cuts, they are still union members. "One for all and all for one" has been the rallying cry of unions since their inception.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next. Will Walker call in the National Guard, or -- and this seems like a long stretch -- maybe the army? I think there's a law that says the military can't be used for state matters, but I also believe it was reversed during the Bush administration.

Walker has certainly got egg on his face now. Good-bye presidential nomination. Bye bye Governor, and don't let the door hit you as you go out.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Walker's destroyed his political career trying this. Watch for him switching to to work for the private industry soon...dare I say for the Koch brothers?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by theheretic
Sad if true, the anarchists and communists are taking over,

Aren't anarchists and communists opposite sides of the spectrum? One really wants no government the other wants full government control. Maybe I'm wrong.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

Originally posted by theheretic
Sad if true, the anarchists and communists are taking over,

Aren't anarchists and communists opposite sides of the spectrum? One really wants no government the other wants full government control. Maybe I'm wrong.

Who cares about definitions and facts?

Like Glenn Beck repeating linking everything he's against to words he knows scare his viewership. Communism, anarchism, nazism, Google, whatever...doesn't need to make sense as long as it scares the gullible enough to make them buy into pretty much anything you want.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekisu
I live in Madison and have been following this thing pretty closely. My husband was just at the protests yesterday, he's talked to different officers, they're very proud of the crowds and the fact that Wisconsinites have been very civil.

I found out that Governor Walker is trying to close the capitol at night, he told police that the only way to keep it open would be if they hold sleep ins and stay themselves overnight, which they are doing now. The police are pro union for the most part, I think the last nail in the coffin was Walker's tapped phone call saying he was considering planting people in the crowds to "cause a ruckus". The police chief found out about that and was pissed, he's calling Walker out to get more information about which of his constituents came up with the idea, or if it was Walker himself.
edit on 27-2-2011 by bekisu because: more info.

I agree. I wonder, perhaps you know, does WI have a conspiracy to cause violent disorder law, or something similar? If the Walker doesn't respond or if the Chief finds it unacceptable if he could pursue such a charge? Just throwing it out as an option.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Why would they give him a job? Obviously he's proven himself gullible and and a little stupid, would you want him working for you? Not to mention the embarrassment he has caused them. I doubt they would welcome him with open arms.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
reply to post by MrXYZ

Why would they give him a job? Obviously he's proven himself gullible and and a little stupid, would you want him working for you? Not to mention the embarrassment he has caused them. I doubt they would welcome him with open arms.

Wouldn't be the first time a politician tries to push through something for his corporate sponsors and then fails...they somehow always end up working for their corporate sponsors afterwards.

LINK 1

...and in the other direction...

dealbook.nytimes.com...

People need to wake up and realize that the majority of politicians aren't working for the citizens, they're working for their corporate sponsors. That phone call with Koch made that pretty clear...and it's happening all the time.

The funny thing is, the "small government" people somehow end up screaming in favor of those very same corporations that corrupt their officials. But buy now, it spread so far anyway, every party's been infiltrated. Unless the system if fixed, nothing will change no matter how many parties there are.

It started when Reagan hired corporate ceos as advisors

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
I was able to collect enough evidence before I left to have the company agree to allow unionisation rather than have their practises revealed. Once the place was unionised wages went up, women could be promoted and women could no longer be blackmailed into engaging in sex.

Wow, threatening to report a companies illegal activities unless they allow unions to come in. Isn't that blackmail?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join