It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once money is worthless, what is the best thing to stock up on for trading?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I still think cigarettes are the best...

They are small, easy to carry, easy to divide to determine payment, I don't smoke so no problem trading them, and people who are addicted will make unbalanced trade transactions for them.

I don't want to have to barter with something I may actually NEED at some point. That's the whole reason we invented money...to have a set way to divide up wealth (as half a cow isn't quite worth half a cow....in reality, as it's now dead).

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
2 words.. "Toilet Paper"

Sure you laugh now but think about it....

Horde TP like it's gold... because it is...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
So,I brought this subject up the a family gathering tonight.
Most popular was the all inclusive underground bunker!
Like you know,a vacation resort.
I'm going to be alone when TSHTF!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

if toilet paper is on your list of " esentials " abandon all hope now

seriously - humanity survived without toilet paper right up untill the 19th century

the roman military conqoured thier empire with a sponge on a stick - issied one to each 8man unit

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
soaps, shampoo, and of course some booze works just in case. But many will want to wash so always soaps are in need. You can get 4 bars for a dollar at most dollar stores, so that makes it cheap to stock up on. I personally see no sense at all in buying gold and silver. I am hearing about many doing just that. But to me its needs that matter not silver.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I would have in my survival bag.. A magnifying glass for fire, a wind up torch, fishing equipment, a katadyn pocket water purifier which is good for 50,000 litres of water purification per filter. A tent, and a high powered airifle, the easiest to take apart to replace a spring and one of the best on the market is the weirauch Hw80, in the Usa its known as a Beeman R1, there are also certain air rifle pellets that can be reused such as Thundrbolts, i have shot through 1/2 inch ply with these pellets and they go through and can still be reused. In Britain though i would not hold much hope for surviving a total shtf scenario too many people in too small a space would be truly nightmarish here. In America , Africa etc it would be far easier to survive.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Elieser

Great thread. On top of all the other great items suggested I would add...

Hemp seeds and knowlede of hemp rocessing
Peanut butter
yeast
candy
Make and store maple syrup
6ml. clear ploy plastic. 500 sq. ft rolls
Atleast 1 litre of diesle fuel.
Swede saw or cross -cut hand saw (for firewood) add... hatchet

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I would go for salt, seed and vinegar.
In particular seeds (more particularly 'heritage' ) are cheapish and easily stored. Salt and vinegar for preserving.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Q: Once money is worthless, what is the best thing to stock up on for trading?
A: Cigarettes!

Damn smokers...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6938042b0c2f.jpeg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0a77627e4133.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 3/13/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: resize photos

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Elieser

Elieser,

Without trying to be a wise-ass, seriously the best thing to have a lot of when money becomes worthless would be slaves/minions. Either captured and enslaved through brute strength or brainwashed into devoted followers of your ideals, they are always handy for forming a first line of defense or working the land.

Peace

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Reply to post by Elieser

Two most needed things on your list has to be Gas and Guns.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
It seems like every time someone says to stock up on seeds, they always say non-GMO seeds. Is there a specific reason for this?

Most of the GMO plants will produce seeds but those seeds themselves will be sterile and not produce viable plants. If you want long term survival you need plants that you can save seeds from to have seeds to plant the next year otherwise when your stash of seeds is up your starving. Now some GMO seeds can be useful in the short term.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Right now I wish I had bought a hundred packs of IOSAT tabs.
See here:

beprepared.com...

A 14 day supply normally costs $11, and right now I could get $50-$100 (per pack of 14) if I had extras. They are sold out world wide.

Oh well.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I don't see why people are saying cigs and alcohol. How will those reallyyy help us/you? There's not a lot I can say that someone hasn't already said.

water
food
shelter of some sort (or at least knowledge on how to)
Weapon - a gun would work but if it is a total collapse of society, bullets will eventually be hard to come by, swords,knifes,etc

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
# hardware tools (shoffels, picks, hammers, saws, etc) you WILL need them
# all kind of seeds, knoll-fruits (potatoes for example)
# weapon to defend you and your family
# water purifyer
# flintstones, good old zippo (cause you can refill the flintstones from any industrial firelighter you my find)
# some oil/gasoline for zippo (you can even start fire without gasoline alone by the sparks from it)
# gas bottles & camping cooker for inside cooking (if you can stay in your home)
# candles
# shake flashlight
# rope
# some tape
# meds
# salt
# some cooking equipment
# magnifying glass

generally all things you would take withyou for a longer camping trip in the woods.
Driving your fancy housetrailer is NOT camping

and the very important: good shoes, clothes, gloves, caps, sunglases, skills
you will die in the cold months without this!

and the hardest thing to catch: the ability to stay alive, standing on your own feet
edit on 15-3-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Maybe the perfect barter item ??

One thing you absolutely need to have to live....

After a long term scenario it would be in short supply in many area's...

It's really cheap to buy...

It's super easy to store...

It never goes bad
SALT !!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
water, food, medical supplies, wepons, clothing, torches or candles, materials for making shelter and maybe some books on survival or such, and maybe a lot of booze for the long long nights
x

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, as I don't have the time to read through 10 pages or replies...but....Bottlecaps!

No, but really I think things such as cigarettes and booze would trade well, as would ammo/firearms and medical supplies. If TSHTF I don't think anyone is going to be producing any penicillin or Tylenol. I think fishing line and hooks would trade well also.

Last thing, BOOKS. I bet books would trade well as people will always want ways to relax and be entertained. Too bad they can weigh so much.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I don't see why people are saying cigs and alcohol. How will those reallyyy help us/you? There's not a lot I can say that someone hasn't already said.

the thread title is "stock up for TRADING"... Are you really going to want to trade survival gear/equipment or weapons? Probably not.

Have you ever seen someone really jonesing for a cigarette?

Since I don't smoke, cigs are the perfect thing for me to trade.

Addicts will make very unbalanced trades to get them...giving me something I can USE for something I can't.

In addition, they are small, easy to carry, and easy to divide to determine "price". I can carry a LOT of trade value in a pretty small space.

Although, after Y2K, I did have a lot of cigarettes to sell, hehe...but I eventually sold them off (I was stocked up then too)....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Elieser

Cigarettes . They will be Hard to get Once Civilization Colapses . More Precious that Gold to some People I bet.....

edit on 17-3-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join