It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are 500 million planets in OUR OWN GALAXY capable of producing life

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
It makes me sad to think that I probably won't live to see the day when we get actual images of these extra-solar planets. I've been obsessed with the planets in our own solar system since I was a kid. I would absolutely love to see quality images of what all of these alien planets actually look like. I'm sure they're beautiful.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Charizard because: fixin' stuff

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clavicula

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by Versa

yep, and out those 54 only 5 are near earth size. Everytime we look for an earth we get a neptune.

early numbers indicate approx 3% of stars will have an earth-sized planet in the HZ. Thats pretty bad really if were looking for anything interesting close by.

The current "state of the art" for planet searching favours the larger planets that orbits close to their star. Smaller planets with longer orbits are just more difficult to detect with the tools at our disposal. This slants the results somewhat but it does not mean that it is representative for actual distribution of planet sizes and orbits.

He also forgot the fact that its only the first 4 months of Data when we get the Data from years worth of observation confirmed etc its going to change alot of things. This is by far the most intriguing NASA project every launched ever IMO. I've been waiting for this for 10 years

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Don't give up yet...

When they finally figure out how to get to the next solar system, we're going to realize they've been spending tons and tons more energy pushing around from planet to planet in our system, when it takes just a little pop to get into the next system. When they do figure it out it will be cheaper to get to the next sun than it will to explore it's system. that's probably what we will get. Tons of pictures of different planets and systems.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

I agree with you on the matter of life is possibly ubiquitous and can exist anywhere its definitely a possibility considering we still might not understand what all different forms of life may look like or if were able to even detect them.

They discovered the fourth state of matter a few years ago so now there is gas,water,solid,plasma why can't life exists in all these states of matter?

its definitely a plausible idea

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Intelligent life has been extremely rare on Earth. For the vast majority of Earth's 4.5 billion year history, there has been no intelligent life.

A very ignorant statement .We wouldn't know if something like us existed on earth or not when we've only been able to even think about that possibility of your conclusion for the past few thousands of years.

The real truth is we are just a blip in time on Earth and how ignorant can you be to stand there and say we can prove there has never been life intelligent in ways like us on this planets 3.5+ billion years of life on this planet.

Even our present we have life somewhat similar to us thats been on Earth for millions of years if not hundreds. Ants Highly intelligent species achieved living on Earth for 100's of millions of years. Dolphins extremely intelligent sea animals that work in unison to overcome problems. Chimpanzees Extremely intelligent ancestors of humans that split up in the evolutionary path and went the other way but they are very similar to us still. Bee's wasps hornets etc Very intelligent and common ancestors with ants even have language they use by dancing with feet some species.

NOW DONT TELL ME U KNOW 100% that there was never LIFE like humans on EARTH before OVER 3.5 BILLION YEARS and they got wiped out or something or left the planet or maybe lived on MARS when it was habitable possibly. You can never know the possibilities we weren't even around in those times and dont go claiming about archaeology finds were just beginning to scratch the surface.

DENY IGNORANCE

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensairich
reply to post by Versa

is your mind made up from what you here/see on television etc why should life need the specifics that you mention, as the creatures at the bottom of the sea that live off the thermal vents are living quite happily and they DONT conform to the normal ways of how life should exist, also are dolphins not intelligent, if you look at most creatures on and around the planet i believe that they are all intelligent in there own particular ways but we as the human race are just to ignorant to appreciate it

I agree with you 100% evolution/life is a beautiful thing peace my brother

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensairich
reply to post by Versa

i do know what you mean as i have spent a fair while over the years thinking about it all, we build our own complex homes and drive cars we have huge amounts of technology and yet in the grand perspextive of things are we not the aliens? it then goes full circle to the great question have we been tampered with and my reply to that is without a shadow of a doubt i think we have

Its a very plausible idea that we have been in contact our governments or we with aliens and been tampered with because this data really does insist that life is probably common so its not actually a crazy idea to think this anymore.

Its very plausible that an advanced alien species within 1000lyrs observed earths civilizations 1000's years ago and was curious to come and observer or send probes or missionaries/diplomats etc or warships. To interact with humans depending on what point in history they observed us at our advancement so maybe they do control our governments? Atleast they aren't eating us for breakfast lol j/k

But in all seriousness its actually a plausible idea. Its Unlikely but its not impossible

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota
reply to post by hotrice

But, then, what if they did visit a long time ago. They aren't all likely to reach "space travel" at the same time, assuming all intelligent life does have a drive to exit their own planet(s).

Also, who's to say that we aren't the first complex, intelligent life to get into space travel. What if these other worlds still have not developed a species that is capable of even the consideration of traveling by any means other than their own locomotion, whatever that might be.

Or, considering the dinosaurs, what if there were intelligent species out there way back then. We wouldn't have even been around yet to examine or contact. No need to contact the oversize lizards, right? And since then, those many tens of millions of years ago, that intelligent life long went extinct or left our galaxy, moving to another. Or reached a level of consciousness that we do not yet comprehend that obviates physical form.

I agree with you 100% on all that you say. Its very plausible that millions well... considering the number of galaxies quadrillions centillions lol of advanced civilizations or somewhat advanced civilizations that have existed throughout the universe or universes who even knows anymore? New data is coming in everyday that puts the big bang theory at risk could be multiverses out there so INFINITE? civilizations the possibilities are endless it really is quite interesting to contemplate.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrEuphoric1
Of course there are other planets with life. I can't believe we act like this is new, groundbreaking information. I recall that in school we really didn't talk about planets outside of our solar system.(Except stars, of course!) Now, THEY act like this is new to them and even have a new name for planets outside our solar system, Exo-planets.
It's hard to believe that there are still people who think we are alone and the center of the universe!! S&F!!!

Get with the times the name for exo-planets has been around for several years as i'm aware and many people like me already believed that many planets existed.... we just needed the data to prove it and here it is. MANY PLANETS DO EXISTS OF ALL SIZES and types PROBABLY. So don't throw everyone into one stereotype and say we all think this!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

No you've got it all wrong. In fact habitable areas extend far past the goldilocks zone, it's a very poor theory from what we already know about life and bacteria on earth.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX

Originally posted by Sphota
reply to post by hotrice

But, then, what if they did visit a long time ago. They aren't all likely to reach "space travel" at the same time, assuming all intelligent life does have a drive to exit their own planet(s).

Also, who's to say that we aren't the first complex, intelligent life to get into space travel. What if these other worlds still have not developed a species that is capable of even the consideration of traveling by any means other than their own locomotion, whatever that might be.

Or, considering the dinosaurs, what if there were intelligent species out there way back then. We wouldn't have even been around yet to examine or contact. No need to contact the oversize lizards, right? And since then, those many tens of millions of years ago, that intelligent life long went extinct or left our galaxy, moving to another. Or reached a level of consciousness that we do not yet comprehend that obviates physical form.

I agree with you 100% on all that you say. Its very plausible that millions well... considering the number of galaxies quadrillions centillions lol of advanced civilizations or somewhat advanced civilizations that have existed throughout the universe or universes who even knows anymore? New data is coming in everyday that puts the big bang theory at risk could be multiverses out there so INFINITE? civilizations the possibilities are endless it really is quite interesting to contemplate.

A lot of you people need to read more popular physics books,a little knowledge is no use if you just get confused and jump to conclusions with it. The big bang is not in conflict with the multiverse theory, multiverse universes could all start from a big bang scenario.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

It's not very plausible to be honest. It is highly unlikely.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

No it could make it a very common phenomenon across the universe. Because Earth DID evolve and maintain many intelligence species for 100s of millions of years and one of them at least (us) is capable of space flight. Seems to be the chances are very very high for complex intelligent life out there simply due to the number of star systems.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

He also forgot the fact that its only the first 4 months of Data when we get the Data from years worth of observation confirmed etc its going to change alot of things. This is by far the most intriguing NASA project every launched ever IMO

lol no i didnt forget i dont mean to sound arrogant but theres not anything you could tell me about kepler or exoplanets that i dont know :p

You seemed to forget my post started with " So Far..." there is nothing innacurate about my post so far crudely doing the numbers gives us 3% of stars have a near earth-size planet in the HZ. This only counts planets in the HZ of M stars, we'll find out about G type like sol later but still "So far" thats the result. Lets hope it improves

Random thoughts : looking at the data our solar system seems quite normal so far compared to others , 80% of stars with planets have 1 planet inside 0.5AU and so does ours (mercury) the striking diffirence is other systems seem to have a neptune size planet. In fairness kepler cant detect mercury size planets so we dont really know how many have a really small one in there. Still theyre mostly neptune size not jupiter size or earth size. Anyway the HZ is where the action is so we wait a couple of years and see the results.

p.s kepler will last 5 or 6 years max if it gets an extension to its mission.

On us being the first tech intelligence on earth you said

A very ignorant statement .We wouldn't know if something like us existed on earth or not when we've only been able to even think about that possibility of your conclusion for the past few thousands of years.

as of feb 2011 no paleontologist has found any evidence of a tech intelligent species existing on earth before us. A tech intelligence would leave plenty of evidence, humans havnt been here long but we have left an eternal mark on this planet and if anyone looked even in a billion years they would find it.

All the evidence in the fossil record shows we are the first tech intelligence to evolve on earth. Nature just doesnt seem very interested in intelligence. Thats why i think even if we find an earth-like planet the chances of it having intelligent beings like us is very very small. No bad thing if we want to colonize, we just need to take care of the dinosaurs we encounter

edit on 22-2-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me even a little, hell, there's probably alien empires living within our own solar system. It's safe to say it is IMPOSSIBLE we will not encounter aliens in the next 100, 50, maybe even 25 years.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManInAsia

A lot of you people need to read more popular physics books,a little knowledge is no use if you just get confused and jump to conclusions with it. The big bang is not in conflict with the multiverse theory, multiverse universes could all start from a big bang scenario.

And what makes you so ignorant to think that? the Multiverse theory doesn't have to involve a big bang your hypocritical in your post it can work both ways vice versa

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ManInAsia

Your saying its Highly unlikely that Millions of advanced civilizations ever existed in our universes with 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars estimated in our universe thats sextillion stars. Cool story bro!?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

I agree with you on the M class stars i know that about the closer distances to the reddwarfs we find the habitable ones first from kepler and later on we will find the habitable ones around the G type sun like stars because most of them are farther out which takes a few years to confrirm... but your forgetting something G type stars only consist of 10% of the stars in the galaxy bro!.

Also 80% of stars are M type i believe so we have already found most of the habitable types kepler is probably going to see!. But they're may be more to come since reddwarfs vary in temerature its all semantics..

Oh and the intelligent life thing I didn't mean technological intelligent life i mean't like pre industrial advanced life that could have been wiped out remember 3.5 billion year history of life on earth

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

3.5 billion years for simple life but only around 500 million of land plants & animals. The fossil record shows no sign of any civilization. Brain sizes too small to be really smart. sorry

lol i told you before i dont forget anything about exoplanets :p and the vast majority of target stars in keplers fov are G type stars in the age region of 3+ billion years . Out of the 150,000 they're looking at only about 3000 are M stars. The rest are G type like sol.

you didnt think they would send a telescope like this up to look at M stars did you? kepler team are smarter than that

edit on 23-2-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

If what you're saying about it being mostly G type stars is correct. Then this is going to get very friqin exiting since G type stars habitable zone is farther out. Even with the fact that he planet has less of a chance to transit the further it from the star they are. Man Yeti101 my friend his means he next data sets will increase the potential habitable planet found by 30 times. Or more possibly even more than that.

Sorry for my mistake I didn't know his are thy were searching was a G type rich area from what I remember is that 80% of stars in he galaxy approx are M types. Oh and let's not forget the supergiants pulsars whitedwarfs etc :p thankyou for that piece of info.

This is going to get exciting next time they release the confirmed data of 4 months onward. I'm very excited for this I wish hey would build the planet imaging telescopes faster

edit on 23-2-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join