It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are 500 million planets in OUR OWN GALAXY capable of producing life

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON – Scientists have estimated the first cosmic census of planets in our galaxy and the numbers are astronomical: at least 50 billion planets in the Milky Way.
At least 500 million of those planets are in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold zone where life could exist. The numbers were extrapolated from the early results of NASA's planet-hunting Kepler telescope.
Kepler science chief William Borucki says scientists took the number of planets they found in the first year of searching a small part of the night sky and then made an estimate on how likely stars are to have planets. Kepler spots planets as they pass between Earth and the star it orbits.
So far Kepler has found 1,235 candidate planets, with 54 in the Goldilocks zone, where life could possibly exist. Kepler's main mission is not to examine individual worlds, but give astronomers a sense of how many planets, especially potentially habitable ones, there are likely to be in our galaxy. They would use the one-four-hundredth of the night sky that Kepler is looking at and extrapolate from there.
Borucki and colleagues figured one of two stars has planets and one of 200 stars has planets in the habitable zone, announcing these ratios Saturday at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual conference in Washington. And that's a minimum because these stars can have more than one planet and Kepler has yet to get a long enough glimpse to see planets that are further out from the star, like Earth, Borucki said.
For example, if Kepler were 1,000 light years from Earth and looking at our sun and noticed Venus passing by, there's only a one-in-eight chance that Earth would also be seen, astronomers said.
To get the estimate for the total number of planets, scientists then took the frequency observed already and applied it to the number of stars in the Milky Way.
For many years scientists figured there were 100 billion stars in the Milky Way, but last year a Yale scientist figured the number was closer to 300 billion stars.
Either way it shows that Carl Sagan was right when he talked of billions and billions of worlds, said retired NASA astronomer Steve Maran, who praised the research but wasn't part of it.
And that's just our galaxy. Scientists figure there are 100 billion galaxies.
Borucki said the new calculations lead to worlds of questions about life elsewhere in the cosmos. "The next question is why haven't they visited us?"
And the answer? "I don't know," Borucki said.

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
edit on 2/20/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
going through this for the first time, my daughter asked me about other planets. Even at 6 years old she was curious why they wouldn't at least poke about. Seeing as an animal across a stream would [she explained[. I said maybe their looking and we just dont know.

good thread ++

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
We know there are numerous planets with life, and likely several with intelligent life. The problem really is that we as a species are a misguided bunch. We don't seek these things, we seek celebrities, and makeup, and war...

Humanity has to find the answers to propulsion, and shielding, or we will be extinct.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It's amazing how big our galaxy is , let alone our universe ! Now scientist are saying that there are multiverses . I don't know if you believe in God , but his wonders are way beyond my comprehension. And anyone who believes we are the only intelligent life in the universe is a fool.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Wow talk about not being able to comprehend the size and scope of these things, damn. Just imagine what life is like all over these planets. I bet almost anything you can imagine is out there, plus things that we could never even begin to dream up.

What I wonder is, is all the intelligent life out there in communication with one another...do they visit each others planets? Are they not confined to their planet? Are they able to fly off among the stars anytime they wish?
Is earth just pig pen of the universe? I hate the whole sheep analogy, but this planet must be the #hole of space. I just wish people could wake up and realize what we are, what we are in the middle of, and how and why we should act civilized. Its a very simple solution thats made so difficult by all the thick headed people here. Love!

Now that Im thinking about it, I wouldnt say we're the pig pen of the universe, because Earth is beautiful. So Im not sure whats worse. We've been given this lovely planet, absolutely wonderful place to live, and completely rape it. Completely rape our fellow man. Take for granted everything. I dont blame them if these aliens have to wipe us out and start over from a more primitive state. Im not sure we can evolve correctly from where we are. Im not sure we could ever fully be part of the galactic community.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The number of planets where life possibly could exist is an estimate and not a fact.

To get the estimate for the total number of planets, scientists then took the frequency observed already and applied it to the number of stars in the Milky Way. Source

I think it's important to bear in mind that this estimate isn't about complex life. We don't know if complex life can exist through out the Milky Way. The GHZ (Galactic Habitable Zone) theory for example states that complex life is impossible outside a defined circular region of our galaxy. This is thought to be because of radiation, meteor strikes etc. The GHZ is a theory and not necessarily true.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/16fe2ef702f1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Whats strange is how we only seem to think about these things now. The idea that we are the only life in the universe or that there arent any other planets with intelligent life is on an even par with the belief that the Earth is flat.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
So the statistics are standing right in front of us. With all this knowledge we have of our own galaxy there are 1000's of options for other life to be some where close by. If our galaxy is like this and there are millions of other galaxies out there you would have to be a complete idiot to not see that there has to be at least one place in this universe other than our own that has to bear "complex life." It's impossible for us to be the only ones. As far as I am concerned the other complex life forms have found us, were smart enough to go right to our source (president or other higher power) and were immediately told to not show themselves or present themselves to any one. I wish they wouls just come out and tell us, be truthful. Roswell, Dulce, Phoenix the proof is every where so just let it out.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
One thing I don't understand:
If I'm not mistaking some time ago science has found a lifeform which they thought could have never existed.
So why do they scratch the not-too-hot not-too-cold planets ?
I'm guessing they only go for life as we know it, but it seems to me that they would just outrule a ton of possible life just because we don't know it's existance.
It might be a little offtopic.. I'm not sure.

But it's of course still nice to hear the big possibility of other life (as we know it)
edit on 20/2/11 by LanceDH because: made things make more sense

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by demiroyale

If our galaxy is like this and there are millions of other galaxies out there you would have to be a complete idiot to not see that there has to be at least one place in this universe other than our own that has to bear "complex life."

Not many people argue against this, especially on ATS.

It's impossible for us to be the only ones.

I wouldn't say impossible but highly unlikely.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

how long do you think it would take us to search the universe?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

So far Kepler has found 1,235 candidate planets, with 54 in the Goldilocks zone, where life could possibly exist.

The planets would also have to have a number of other variables for it to harbour life, the planet would need to be the right size, made of rock, a magnetic shield, it would need an atmosphere, liquid water and so on.... This alone reduces the number of planets likely to have life.

The number is reduced again for 'complex life' and reduced again for 'intelligent life' there are 2 million plus forms of life on earth and only humans have discovered science. Therefore the odds of us finding intelligent life on another planet are very very small.... That's not to say its not out there just that the chances of us finding it any time soon is slim.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

So far Kepler has found 1,235 candidate planets, with 54 in the Goldilocks zone, where life could possibly exist.

The planets would also have to have a number of other variables for it to harbour life, the planet would need to be the right size, made of rock, a magnetic shield, it would need an atmosphere, liquid water and so on.... This alone reduces the number of planets likely to have life.

The number is reduced again for 'complex life' and reduced again for 'intelligent life' there are 2 million plus forms of life on earth and only humans have discovered science. Therefore the odds of us finding intelligent life on another planet are very very small.... That's not to say its not out there just that the chances of us finding it any time soon is slim.

That quote is actually misleading as only 15 planets have been confirmed.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
So, If I understand this correctly, we could take some DNA from different species from Earth, and sprinkle it about on a planet with similar Earth like characteristics. Then ? We could come back and check on the results?
If we want? We could blend some DNA's toghether and see what we get?
Why does this sound familier?:@:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

yep, and out those 54 only 5 are near earth size. Everytime we look for an earth we get a neptune.

early numbers indicate approx 3% of stars will have an earth-sized planet in the HZ. Thats pretty bad really if were looking for anything interesting close by.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well i personally think the universe is packed with life, but complex life is rare and intelligent life like ourselves even rarer...but given the size of the universe rare is still a lot. Of course people shouldn't be silly enough to somehow link this information to aliens in spaceships zooming about earth.

edit on 20-2-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Ummmmm, why shouldn't we link this information to the UFO's flying around Earth? The larger number of planets with life in our galaxy, the greater the chance that they will have intelligent life capable of Earth visitation.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

I love the fact that you are thinking but you're still 'in the box'. There are so many popular misconceptions in your post that I'm going to have to disagree.

The first incorrect assumption that you have made is that all life has almost identical requirements to us. The roots of this idea lie with the fact that we have been 'educated' to think that Earth has the only life. There are probably other life forms out there that don't require water (e.g. methane is a polar molecule when liquid putting Neptune and Uranus in the picture). There are also 'plasma critters' (see New Scientist. There is a fascinating article by Jay Alfred on possible Plasma bases life forms. This part is pertinent here.

Plasma, on the other hand, is associated with high temperatures. Plasma life forms would be much more adapted to environments which would be considered hostile to carbon-based life forms. It is possible that plasma life forms were already present in the gas and materials that formed the Earth 4.6 billion years ago. Carbon-based biomolecular life forms only appeared 1 billion years later. Tsytovich and other scientists (including Lozneanu and Sanduloviciu, discussed below) have proposed that plasma life forms, in fact, spurred development of organic carbon-based life on Earth.
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

So, if plasma life forms can exist in more extreme conditions then all these calculations about where life can exist are way out. It can exist practically anywhere.

Next we have multiverses and other-dimensions. Lots of UFOs display signs of inter-dimensional behaviour. That multiplies up the possibility of life massively again. If there are multitudes of dimensions interacting with this one then the mind can only boggle at the possibilities.

Conclusion

The universe is teeming with life . Much of it is not as we know it. We are being interacted with and observed by this life an a daily basis.

Most historical and current cultures accept that there is life and intelligence everywhere (even in matter). Why has our culture not recognised it? Firstly, we have been obsessed with an atheistic materialism (a reaction to medieval religion and superstition) which has blinded us to many possibilities (modern physics is changing that). Secondly, we are simply looking in the wrong way. If we stop looking for life exactly like us (not that our galactic cousins aren't aware of us) we would probably see life all around us.

edit on 20/2/11 by Pimander because: typo as usual

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander
The first incorrect assumption that you have made is that all life has almost identical requirements to us. The roots of this idea lie with the fact that we have been 'educated' to think that Earth has the only life. There are probably other life forms out there that don't require water (e.g. methane is a polar molecule when liquid putting Neptune and Uranus in the picture). There are also 'plasma critters' (see New Scientist. There is a fascinating article by Jay Alfred on possible Plasma bases life forms.

Looks like an interesting article ty for posting the link
I'll read that properly after tea.

Lots of UFOs display signs or inter-dimensional behaviour.

Pure speculation so I'm not going to agree with you on that point just yet

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by hotrice

Well then , scientists AND NASA , are caught again with "their pants down"...
I mean , in all those 500 milion planets , NOT IN ONE OF THEM THERE IS LIFE?!
how so?!

I think the 60 alien species visiting earth should seriously be reconsidered and the governments THAT KNOW OF INTELIGENT ALIEN LIFE to say it to the public!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join