It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Superman' suits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This product has been out for a few months now but we're always talking about technologies that John & Jane Q. Public are not aware of. This material is not in the R&D phase but in actual production.
Let your imagination run wild on where and what you can use this material for. I personally like rock climbing and you do get the ocassional slip. This I would think, would really cut back on the 'owwies'.

dvice.com...

The fabric is called Deflexion, and it's made by Dow Corning, the same guys who probably made the silicon that's running your computer right now. The Deflexion material is also made from silicon, except it's been polymerized into flexible silicone sheets with a special molecular structure.

Most of the time, the molecules in the silicone move around each other freely, but if something hits them, the molecules bunch up and instantly turn solid. This absorbs and disperses the impact, just like a solid piece of armor would.

Pretty wild stuff! enjoy.
edit on 15-2-2011 by geo1066 because: sp?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This stuff looks pretty awesome I'd love that suit when I'm playing Hockey, or even for my little sister while she's learning to skate. however i'm sure there are tonnes of other practical uses for this suit.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If this stuff works as proposed it would make for a good liner UNDER your kevlar. The impact force would be more evenly distributed, but it doens't appear to have the ability to "capture" a round of any caliber, except perhaps a .22 at moderate distance.
But, hey, it's only hard when it needs to be...endless possibilities there.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
...is only hard when you need it to be

That's what she said.

This is some pretty cool stuff. I can imagine this being a life saver and used in alot of applications.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

The actualy trying it out for rodeos. I havn't had time to watch the video but here it is. Great find
S&F I love this kind of stuff.

Rodeo Armor

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
how much? do you think i can get one for a couple of hundred or are these things going to cost like 10 thousand each.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Cool Find OP!

I wonder how long it will be before this is an officially licensed product of the NFL? This would make great lightweight padding. I wonder exactly how strong this stuff is? I mean, can it stop a bullet? I kind of doubt that it can, otherwise the military would be using this stuff. Nonetheless, there are lots of applications for this is the blue-collar workplace, outdoor recreation, etc..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
We have a show in England called the Dragons Den, where normal people with business ideas or inventions go and perform a a presentation to sell their product/business idea with the Dragons. The idea is to persuade the Dragons to invest a certain amount of money in their business plan.

This material came on the show. They have built small cases for laptops, phones etc and it went down like a storm and not surprisingly they got investment. I wonder if this new suit is the result of that investment.

I wonder if the material will stop bullets? Although no doubt this suit will be way too expensive for the worlds governments to actually buy to protect their soldiers...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
what a great technology, and I see this evolving into the flexible body armor of the future (right until they come out with lasers lol) anyway, one day maybe this could be used as a standard layer of clothing for anyone that may see impact of any sort, rock climbing seems like a great idea, but if they can make this into a type of long john or something for athletes, police, soldiers, motorcycle riders, etc.

and if this tech can be made to absorb any impact, the next step would be to make a thin strong impenetrable material that would hold the bullet while this material absorbs the blunt impact

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Ohhhh I got to get me three of these.....Daughter, Son and me compete at Taekwondo....Imagine.....Armored and unnoticed !!!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

Looks great.

Now we know what all the ET's are wearing with their 'skin tight suits'.

Mind you, how the hell would you be able to actually make a suit from this stuff?

I mean, it's hard on impact, so a sewing machine needle would strike it and be seen as an impact...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This first came out a couple of years ago for motocross riders, pretty expensive for anyone but the pros though

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I wonder how heavy the material is, would be a great substitute for the motorcycle jacket for the warmer weather or even under the jacket in the colder weather if not to heavy or warm to wear.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Ahahaha...
That was actually a good time for that.

new topics

top topics

join