It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol kills more than AIDS, TB or violence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Alcohol kills more than AIDS, TB or violence

www.msnbc.msn.com

GENEVA — Alcohol causes nearly 4 percent of deaths worldwide, more than AIDS, tuberculosis or violence, the World Health Organization warned on Friday.

Rising incomes have triggered more drinking in heavily populated countries in Africa and Asia, including India and South Africa, and binge drinking is a problem in many developed countries, the United Nations agency said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Not sure what to think of this one, due to it being put out by The World Health Organization, which doesn't exactly have the most squeaky clean record when it comes to exactly who and what they represent.

And it does appear as you scroll down on this "report", is that this another way to raise more taxes, which I am unsure of is the needed or useful solution as they suggest.

But if the stats are indeed remotely correct, those are some UNBELIEVABLE numbers---FOUR PERCENT of the ENTIRE planet's DEATHS related to alcohol abuse?

And yet this stuff is legal on literally every street corner while marijuana, which has virtually NO deaths attributed to its usage (and is increasingly showing to be medically HELPFUL in many diseases) is ILLEGAL? What the hell is wrong with this picture?

Unreal!

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I hear you on this man. Good find, and I don't really doubt the stats on this, even given some concerns you raised. With all the info we have about the mortality rates involving alcohol in the US, with the teen drinking programs like Every 15 Minutes, the astronomic hospital costs of victims of alcohol/ism - be it drunk driving, cirrhosis of the liver or what-not, it sounds better and better every day that weed should be legal and alcohol classified as the drug that weed is suppose to be.

But tell that to the beer makers who opposed the legalization of weed in CA... hehe. Corruption throughout, greed throughout...

Thanks for the article, S&F

Khar

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Well, it certainly is a good way to prune out the weak willed and flawed people of this world. Why do you think the CIA introduced crack coc aine to America? To kill off the undesirables. And I'm with you on the benefits of marajuana, and with so many states allowing the possesion of medical marajuana it's only a crime depending on which side of a state border your on.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

This is in line with many other studies I have seen which leads me to believe WHO might be telling the truth! (That should be a headline in and of itself)

I am consistently amazed by the vilification of other substances when alcohol is held in high regard by these same people.

You might be right though, this could be a set up for legitimizing a further tax hike for liquor consumption. This is what they did to cigarettes already and if they are setting up for a vilification of liquor they will have a hard run of it. Especially in America. Americans love their liquor more than apple pie, red meat and mom put together.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I remember reading somewhere that THC actually kills the cancerous cells before they spread. Don't know if this is true or not.

As for the alchohol thing 4% of deaths worldwide? I don't know how on earth they could compile those numbers. Plus they say 30% of alcohol is from illegal home brew. How do they come up with that number too. Sounds like a war on alcohol brewing. Based on how the war on poverty and the war on drugs has gone sounds like somebody is gonna be reaching into our pockets again.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
As a part-time/hobbiest bartender, I have noticed that drinking does seem to correspond to the economy. As it appears, as the economy gets worse, the more money I can make in tips. In all actuality, if things continue on this path, I am considering quitting my day job, and become a full time bartender.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

LOL to the people who think Weed isn't a drug. I have done a lot of drugs in my day weed was one of the strongest its effects last for years on its users. They did a study that showed how the higher thc levels reduce the natural anti psychotic chemical that is also in the weed in effect making the people crazy. As for alcohol yeah it too is not a good drug it dries out your body and is a depressant. It depletes the same chemicals in the brain as weed your serotonin levels. this chemical makes you happy. But i highly doubt they will ever make weed legal and alcohol illegal. And please don't give me the bs about its natural because it has been genetically modified over the years though cross breeding to produce a bigger high. That in its self is not natural. Its like if i grew apples the size of cars on a tree then said its natural.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

There was a study in Spain a while back that showed that THC actually killed cancer cells as you said. It was at a leading Spanish university.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I was shock’t when I sore Violence TB and Aids.
But I think it is from depertion.
Every one suffers from it a little.
And when times get bad they need help.
It is sad they go to drinking and drugs for help.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
and since it mentions AIDS.... and this is not 'AIDS denialism' because it's obvious that it's real no matter what the cause of it is... more AIDS medication kills people world wide then the actual syndrome itself from liver damage/failure. A common cause with alcohol...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

Last time i checked people weren't robbing and mugging people to pay for Marijuana . or begging in the street for cash to buy weed .
Please dont compare it to anything else - It is a miracle plant
So what they x breed to get higher thc content ? Means you don't need to smoke much .
What % alcohol are spirits etc .

IF there is no weed around or i have no money , I will just deal with it , Weed doesn't control you , You control weed . comparing weed to anything else is nonsense .

Your local pothead is no threat , your local drunk ? Different story .

edit on 11-2-2011 by Doomzilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

but you can't grow apples the size of cars on trees now can you? your talking BS here yourself, that or your a 'disinformationalist' hired by the government(probably just ignorant though...). i am not a 'weed' smoker, but i have nothing against people that do it. you mention that weed has been genetically modified over the years to make 'bigger highs', and to that first thought is 'WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY?????' but my cleaned up response is:

'weed' across the board is not genetically modified. are you telling me the people with plants hidden in their gardens, or fields, or basements in towns across Canada are genetically modifying their 'weed'? no because that is absurd and completely ridiculous. the same goes for the rest of the word. the reason why i mentioned Canada is because it is the largest producer of marijuana in the world, both legally and illegally. it's profits are in the billions, and most of those profits are made illegally because it has become a gray area in the debate of whether it is legal or not. what is not in debate is it's harmful effects as proven by it's government.

if what you are saying is true then almost the entire baby boomer generation and more then 60% of human beings born since that time would have been deemed insane in present date. north america would have become the continent of retardation(though posts like yours do not help that theory).

the thing that is harmful in the 'highs' people get are when they are LACED with other things such as spraying low quality weed with windex or other cleaning chemicals. it is not because gramma and grampa next door, or the teachers in public school, or the woman working for the government, or the nice couple that own the pet store are genetically modifying their weed. grow up, and stop believing that YOU can grow apples the size of cars, because YOU can't. thanks, all rebutles containing actual evidence would be appreciated.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Research the deaths of adolescence alcohol related deaths, sad stat.
edit on 11-2-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
What they didn't tell you is that 3% of that is from the Russians and their vodka, lol. Seems like theres a video every day on LL with a drunk russian.

Seriously though, I'm sure the motive is taxes.

... off to get a beer now.
edit on 11-2-2011 by SnakeShot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
Plus they say 30% of alcohol is from illegal home brew.

Wait what? Are there really places that made it illegal to brew your own? That can't be serious lol. You can make alcohol from any sweet fruit FFS, beer is made from perfectly legal plants.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by loagun

Lol you should reed high times or something man. You should see the crazy mutant weed plants in the grower cup contest. Splicing DNA is not the only way to modify plants :p

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
Plus they say 30% of alcohol is from illegal home brew.

Wait what? Are there really places that made it illegal to brew your own? That can't be serious lol. You can make alcohol from any sweet fruit FFS, beer is made from perfectly legal plants.

It's technically illegal to make 100% alcohol because it can be used as rocket fuel (remember the movie October Sky?).

But yeah, it's sad the damage that alcohol does, but America did try to outlaw it once, and see how that turned out? The prohibition made alcohol even more popular than it was before. I firmly believe the drinking age also puts alcohol on a pedestal, making every young person think that it is something magical that they must strive to be able to get.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Oh so maybe it is not brewing that is illegal, but distilling? I don't see how it is possible to outlaw letting a liquid ferment lol. I was always scared to try distilling myself, there is a lot of conflicting info out there about it.

Oh sorry for kind of going off on a tangent off topic there lol. It only seems reasonable that alcohol will kill more people than all of those things if you think about it statisticly. WAY more people drink than have AIDs, so it does make sense no? More people are drivers than drinkers, so it stands to reason more people will die in a car related death than alcohol.
edit on Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:40:49 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomzilla

No but i have heard of people being killed over selling it in the wrong places, or people getting killed over 40 bucks they owed to a dealer. Or children in the inner city forced to sell it to their classmates by gangs. Sorry to disrupt your delicate sensibilities on the fact that its harmful and pointing the finger at another drug doesn't mean the one you ingest is any better because you conduct yourself better. I talked about the effects it had on the brain. And too loagun lol I'm ignorant son you don't have a clue. I have more knowledge about this then you ever could wish to know. I have seen it grown and harvested i have also smoked it taken the crystals of the leaves they are called visible trichomes. I know what nutrients the soil needs and what cycle under the light the plant needs to produce the most buds. Your a child trying to chime in on a subject you have no clue about. I'm a disinfo agent lol. The baby boomers smoked different weed also known as shwag with lower THC levels then today where the whole point of growing the plant is to get the highest THC levels out of it aka a bigger high as THC is the active chemical in weed that gets people high. The fact that people even gave you two stars shows how some people on here don't know how to research or will side with people without knowing the subject at all
edit on 11-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join