It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What percentage of wages earned 100 years ago were taxed as opposed to now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
We seem to be working harder than ever and having less to show for it.

sales tax
property tax,
Income tax,
SSI
Unemployment tax
all the taxes applied to utilities (add the utilities as a lump and figure out the tax as a percentage)
whatever extortion type fines they were subject to.

Percentage wise as a whole what did the 'average' working man pay 100 years ago dollar for dollar to keep the country, state, county and city going?

I know we are paying more for less but I would like figures to back it up.
edit on 8-2-2011 by ..5.. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
if i'm not mistaken there was no tax except for sales and property tax.
income and ss didnt start until 1937 for ss and income has come and gone scine 1863, current started in 1913 with the 16th amendment.
edit on 8-2-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
so, right now a non business owner pays all told about 45%.....social security is a tax that is mis-handled.....sales tax plus parking fees at events is double taxation, a little tax is good for society ...so we can have nice roads and other infra-structure but dahangg...32% from our income after fica and ss....worse than Rome

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

yes as time went the govt need more money.
sad thing is if they would go back to just sales tax and import tax,
they could twice get what they get now, and i know every body says, that would just cause,
everything to go up. but you would have to pay tax if you didn't buy any thing

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think Egypt may be on the right track. Too bad the protesters took the 'We'll raise the pay of the Gov employees' bait hook line and sinker.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

o

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Aaron russo talking to the irs .
Aaron attempts to ask a hypothetical question but again, Cohen tells him, “You are making silly arguments here.”Stunned, Aaron says, “How can the Supreme Court be a silly argument?”Cohen responded with, “Because it is inapplicable.”Aaron is astounded. “That made my heart stop! He just said that Supreme Court Decisions do not apply to the IRS.That’s the behavior you would expect from a totalitarian government maybe in China or Russia or Cuba, not from America. They were just making up the law as they went along. Now I knew the tax movement was right. The IRS thrives on intimidation and fear, not on the law. It’s no different than a criminal protection racket using brute force to extract your money from you.” Then Cohen threatened Aaron.

justmytruth.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Absolutely fascinating question.

May have found some answers...
www.usgovernmentrevenue.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
If this were a pay for service I would fire the gov't and find another provider. I am not getting my money's worth.

top topics

join