It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Storm Bears Down On Australia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by troubleshooter

I will put it down to a bit of east - west rivalry then skewing your data...
...our cyclones are bigger than your cyclones.

edit on 1/2/11 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

Well I dont care about that, Im just trying to show the real data. Im not lying about the data, Im simply pulling it off our Automatic Weather Stations and posting it here

But yes, on average, the west coast cyclones are more powerful due to the larger area of warmer water, and when they track south, the majority are flung over land coriolis between Broome and Exmouth, which is a sparesly populated area

I really don't think the media is overplaying the dangers...
...loads of people just don't get it...
...there is a high turnover of people in these areas and tourists...
...many think it will make a good adventure to 'ride it out'...
...it isn't...this system is deadly and there are people alive now that won't be tomorrow.

I just think you are being a bit careless but hey go stick your head in your data...
...see if you can actually predict the weather this time...might be a first.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
here is BOM's bulletin including remark about willis island and a slightly weaker system being observed there.

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

And here you go from the poster below you

Max winds estimated at 115 knots
supported by AMSU/SATCON estimates at 125kn [1min], although Willis Island
pressure observations suggest a slightly weaker system.

Sorry, but as I was dead on

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ozweatherman: Ignore the dickheads as per usual. This is a serious event, not a bickering match for the idiots to win brownie points over. When people's lives/homes/livelihoods are at threat, there's no point arguing over who's opinion is better. Keep the realtime data coming through mate. I spent a fair bit of time up that coast esp. Townsville. Hope everyone is OK. Whens the brunt of it supposed to hit the mainland? Evening tonight is it?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Upyerheart

Thanks mate

The forecast is saying that its going to hit around Innisfail, poor buggers again. But due to the unpredictability it could hit anywhere between Cairns and Sarina. The max winds so far recorded have been around 215km/h in gusts. Willis Island was directly hit and highest wind there was at 185km/h. The radar and AWS both offline at the moment. Wont know the full extent of the damage out there til our people stationed out there go back

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Jesus, so 300KM/H could have been an overstatement, but bloody hell 200KM/H is enough. Poor buggers you're right! Sure you're aware of this, but last year in some of the storms in Japan a lot of wildlife got blasted from the sticks into the city. They had teams driving around in vans picking up all the poisonous snakes. Wonder if anything similar would happen what with the rainforests up there
edit on 1-2-2011 by Upyerheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
For more info on Yasi, there are four other threads covering it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com... and

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Latest observations from the closest AWS out at Flinders Reef are wind sustained at 130km/h and gusts up to 167km/h

They have also dropped the max gusts to 290km/h....not 300km/h, and it look like its going to hit just south of Innisfail

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I had to go do some work but when I gow in the car the ABC radio were interviewing the BOM..
The reporter asked if it was as bad as they are saying and the BOM official said something like,

"Well we don't use phrases like possibly the most rsk to human life of any storm ever seen for no reason"

That's your "BOM" OZ...

So I don't think I agree the media is hyping it up now....

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Sending good thoughts, be safe.

edit on 2-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

For god sake

Just forget it ok, none of you have any idea what Im getting at here, so Im just gonna go post observations esewhere

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

For god sake

Just forget it ok, none of you have any idea what Im getting at here, so Im just gonna go post observations esewhere

why are you getting #ty with me??
YOU said everone is hyping up the doom and we should listen to the BOM only!!!!
I did, and they hyped it UP MORE..!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh OZ

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
here's to hoping everyone finds a way to deal with this force of nature safe and sound.
humans and animals alike.
crossing fingers for you aussies.
-zoo

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
These should be useful for anyone who's interested in keeping a close eye on things.

www.ustream.tv... - Webcam located on the southern side of cairns. Cam up for aslong as possible

www.ustream.tv... - Webcam of the approaching Cyclone Yasi due to strike north of Townsville in North Queensland, Australia. Webcam is situated in central T1 Apartments in the CBD of Townsville.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Also, here's an interesting comparison for all you Americans taken from news.com.au

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7acb5ea08adc.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by plexus

It's nearly the same size as the snowstorm we are sitting in right now. It's a full blown blizzard here at the moment...but of course is nothing compared to what Australia is going to get hit with.

My parents survived they eye of Hurricane Charley a few years ago and it completely destroyed the area they lived in...this one though look like an absolute beast.

Thoughts and prayers to those in Australia!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Where did I say there was no risk to human life huh? Point out where I said that? There's always risk to human life in a cyclone event

You dont even understand what Im saying. The observations coming in have winds nowhere near 300km/h. Flinders Reef, which is well within 50 km's of the eye is only experiencing gusts of up to 167km/h, which is a long way below the 300km/h winds the media is claiming. The severe weather guys have gone for the possibility of wind gusts up to 285, near the centre, which they have dropped, yet the media is still claiming there will be gusts (yes they say "there will be") of over 300km/h. If the observations have shown that the winds near the Automated Systems out there arent as strong as they thought, then its a high likelihood that the winds have been miscalculated by the tools they use.....it always happens.

When cyclone Ingrid hit, the media claimed there were winds of over 330km/h which was 70-80km more than what actually happened.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by djtek
Lets hope they have a better emergency system than FEMA...this could be devastating.

As long as they dont lock the refugees who are starving, exhausted and scared in a giant overcrowded Superdome they are already a step ahead ;-)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz

Originally posted by djtek
Lets hope they have a better emergency system than FEMA...this could be devastating.

As long as they dont lock the refugees who are starving, exhausted and scared in a giant overcrowded Superdome they are already a step ahead ;-)

i can absolutely assure you that you WILL NOT see any scenes like the ones the world saw in Katrina. you will not see in 3 days time people holding up signs for helicopters saying save us. this will show others just what a joke the response was to katrina. we have had the same warning time, and this is bigger than katrina.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Where did I say there was no risk to human life huh? Point out where I said that? There's always risk to human life in a cyclone event

You dont even understand what Im saying. The observations coming in have winds nowhere near 300km/h. Flinders Reef, which is well within 50 km's of the eye is only experiencing gusts of up to 167km/h, which is a long way below the 300km/h winds the media is claiming. The severe weather guys have gone for the possibility of wind gusts up to 285, near the centre, which they have dropped, yet the media is still claiming there will be gusts (yes they say "there will be") of over 300km/h. If the observations have shown that the winds near the Automated Systems out there arent as strong as they thought, then its a high likelihood that the winds have been miscalculated by the tools they use.....it always happens.

When cyclone Ingrid hit, the media claimed there were winds of over 330km/h which was 70-80km more than what actually happened.

You did say this..

They have also dropped the max gusts to 290km/h....not 300km/h, and it look like its going to hit just south of Innisfail

But I wasn't even pointing out the winds etc..
I was merely pointing out that YOU said the media were hyping it up and we should listen to BOM..
I simply tell you what BOM said and you spit the dummy.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join