It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bachmann: Founding fathers ‘worked tirelessly’ to end slavery

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

WASHINGTON – Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) said the United States was founded on racial and ethnic diversity and that the founding fathers were responsible for abolishing slavery.

Speaking at an event sponsored by Iowans For Tax Relief, Bachmann hailed the "different cultures, different backgrounds, different traditions" of the early European settlers in America, adding that the "color of their skin" or "language" or "economic status" didn't preclude them from seeking happiness.

"Once you got here, we were all the same," she said. "Isn't that remarkable? It is absolutely remarkable."

Oh my God, even with the educational system almost a complete failure in this country; the most inattentive student knows this is utter and total BS.

The Minnesota Republican called slavery an "evil" and "scourge" and "stain on our history."

"But we also know that the very founders that wrote those documents worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States," Bachmann added, claiming "men like John Quincy Adams... would not rest until slavery was extinguished in the country."

Slavery was an institution in the United States for generations after its founding in 1776, largely due to a compromise between the founders that established African-Americans as three-fifths of a person. Several of the founding fathers themselves held slaves.

And this woman is a leader of the TPM?
What's that tell ya?
Serious members and the movement as a whole needs to distance themselves from this ignorant fruitcake as far as they can.

www.rawstory.com...
edit on 26-1-2011 by whaaa because: whoa

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think alot of us here know that your founding fathers did not have your best interests at heart, and america was just an experiment that powerful people just used as a tool. They cared not for any of you or back then, any of the people back then.

If the founding fathers where anything like todays higher up free masons, they would of been total ego maniacs. Something about how history is written shows you the rubbish about the pure intentions of the founding fathers was just bull.

I would rather live in europe than usa, and i live a life like under stasi germans in london.
edit on 1/26/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Wow...with leaders like this in the movement, who needs critics of the movement. I do support the ideals of the tea party movement...small govt., responsible spending, lower taxes, ...but there is no way to defend such a statement.

I am a southerner and proud of it, but even I know the sad role slavery played in our country's growth. I wonder where she gets her info? Maybe she should read up on Washington, Jefferson, Jackson... heck, even the statements of old Abe Lincoln. Not a jolly place if you weren't white... now..."Isn't that remarkable."

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Man, I hate it when our politicians screw up History and Geography! This is as bad as saying you've visited all 57 States! Would it kill our politicians to have at least a high school knowledge of these subjects?

Instead of making them produce birth certificates, perhaps we need to make them take basic American History and World Geography tests.

Originally posted by andy1033

I would rather live in europe than usa, and i live a life like under stasi germans in london.

Stasi Germans in London? East German secret police in the UK? This statement makes no sense.
edit on 26-1-2011 by tsawyer2 because: added a line

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
the tea party is nothing more than a very effective marketing campaign launched by the republicans to rile up their base and give them amnesia to the fact that they led the country into a disastrous free fall after 8 years of Bush.

the founding fathers set up a government and fought over how that would work- but they should not be lionized as the tea party movement would have you believed. They disagreed, fought vociferously, and got several things wrong. Furthermore, anybody worth their salt would know right away that the current US Empire was not at all what the founders wanted. They wanted to be left alone. They did not want a permanent army at all because they knew that standing armies posed a threat to liberty. What do we have now? a highly weaponized police state type of government culture.

people have every right to have the government they want. there are, however, reprecusions when you go too far off the deep end. We will pay a long, long time for slavery- just as Germany will pay a long, long time for the Third Reich. Just as those who would deny the holocaust, those that deny the facts of American history are dangerous and should be cast out of our process as being unserious and unsuitable to lead us.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well, now we know who shouldn't have three martinis at lunch.

Pure political speak. And I'm sure she'll be called to the carpet on it. But I'm not giving up support of her just because of one thing that she said. Heck, maybe she believes it. Will wait for more of it as the day moves on.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsawyer2

Stasi Germans in London? East German secret police in the UK? This statement makes no sense.
edit on 26-1-2011 by tsawyer2 because: added a line

Go and resaerch how bad lifes where for germans in stasi germany and i live just as bad a life in london, thats what i mean.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Pure political speak. And I'm sure she'll be called to the carpet on it. But I'm not giving up support of her just because of one thing that she said. Heck, maybe she believes it. Will wait for more of it as the day moves on.

Pray tell me, how many things does she havfe to say before you give up your support on her? Or do you just plan on not looking very far.

This woman's grasp on practically every issue comes across as moribund, intellectually speaking.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
All we really have to do today is look at the very highest free masosn and see what sort of people they are and what they do. All ego maniacs like i said above, so do you really think they where the people ron paul eulogizes over so many times or alot of you. These higher up types in fee masonry are always obsessed with there idea that they are some sort of god on earth, lol.

History is written b the winners, and you see how gw bush is all smiles today as he knows come 200 years into future, he will have books or reference books stating nothing of what he was really like, lol.

I think often the most rational view of the founding fathers was probably done by william cooper, at least he knows they where not the people you read about lol
edit on 1/26/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by glome

Pray tell me, how many things does she havfe to say before you give up your support on her? Or do you just plan on not looking very far.

This woman's grasp on practically every issue comes across as moribund, intellectually speaking.

If she comes out for higher taxes and larger government then I would be very much against her. But if we got rid of every politician that said something stupid, then DC would be a ghost-town.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I don't even know what to say to that. For a group that is constantly speaking about restoring the constitution and going back to the time of the founding fathers, you would think she would know the constitution and the history of the time, the history of the the founding fathers.

It's a shame that this woman now has a sliver of power. Hopefully she spends her free time researching the issues she yells from her soap box, ie the Constitution and I would include the supporting documents for her.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

If she comes out for higher taxes and larger government then I would be very much against her. But if we got rid of every politician that said something stupid, then DC would be a ghost-town.

This just isn't making dumb remarks; this is a complete break from reality into some surreal pseudo patriotic fantasy land that never existed.

You can't see that?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

This just isn't making dumb remarks; this is a complete break from reality into some surreal pseudo patriotic fantasy land that never existed.

You can't see that?

I've already said it wasn't a good thing to say. I'll wait for a follow-up, let HER clarify/apologize, if she can't or won't then I'll pass judgement. (Like MY opinion matters
)
edit on 26-1-2011 by beezzer because: typo

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yep, and there is a group of people that see her as their leader

We live in VERY scary times.

I just saw on CNN right now she is considering a white house run.
God save us.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I get your point now. I do know how bad life was under the East German regime; I spent five years living in W.Germany from 1988-1993 as a member of the US Air Force. After reunification, East Germans poured into the West and I had several as neighbors.

I've visited London too several times and liked it alot! Sure are alot of cameras all over the place though.

Back to the thread though, I think we can all pick our favorite (or least favorite) politician and find something dumb that they have said, but some are so much more outlandish than others. I wonder how many people heard what she said though and accepted it as fact, since they didn't know better themselves because of a lack of knowledge. It just bugs me when these things happen because there are so many people out there who have no knowledge of history or geography. For example:

A friend of mine was taking a trip to Dallas on business and had the opportunity to take his new wife with him. She was excited about it and asked him what cities were in Dallas. He replied that Dallas was a city in Texas. She replied,"No it's not, they wouldn't have made a soap opera just about a city!" Facepalm!

edit on 26-1-2011 by tsawyer2 because: spelling correction

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

You can't see that?

You players must stay awake all night for weeks wating for some dumb remarks like this. Reminds me of Nancys "we can read it later" remark. GOD HELP US!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
What does this Congresswoman's absurd comments say about our culture and our politic? Where are we headed?

"The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history."
George Orwell

Scary times.
edit on 26/1/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The historical record does show that the colonies were like the later Northern and Southern states of the Civil War era history, divided on the issue. Yes, The founding fathers themselves were divided about slavery. Yes, Some did work tirelessly on the issues. Basically, On the whole however they left the issue for future generations to deal with and solve. They were after all trying to create a Union and the issue of slavery would have torn it apart right from the start.

Benjamin Franklin and Benjamin Rush in 1774 founded America's first antislavery society. John Jay was president of a similar society in New York. Many of the Founding Fathers who had owned slaves released them (e.g., John Dickinson, Ceasar Rodney, William Livingston, George Washington, George Wythe, John Randolph, and others).

While others favored slavery, Thomas Jefferson, John Rutledge, and James Madison, those from North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia favored slavery.

John Quincy Adams

John Quincy Adams (July 11, 1767-February 23, 1848) spent most of his youth and adult life in public service to the United States, as senator, diplomat, secretary of state, president, and congressman. He made his greatest contribution to his country after his presidency, while serving in the United States House of Representatives as a staunch opponent of slavery and expansionist war.

American Anti-Slavery and Civil Rights Timeline

* Founding of the Pennsylvania Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery (PAS), the world's first antislavery society and the first Quaker anti-slavery society. Benjamin Franklin becomes Honorary President of the Society in 1787.
* Thomas Paine speaks out against slavery and joins the PAS with Benjamin Rush.

I could post more but if it's just a matter of attacking her and her politics then whats the point?
Enjoy falling all over yourselves with lack of historical context.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Wow. Thanks for the education. Do you mind if I bookmark your post for reiterrations on other sites?
Appreciate the help!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join