It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Women should be allowed to serve in combat

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

www.cnn.com

A Pentagon commission on diversity is recommending the U.S. military end its ban on women serving in direct combat roles -- a restriction the group says is discriminatory and out of touch with the demands of modern warfare.

In its draft report, the Military Leadership Diversity Commission said the military should gradually eliminate the ban in order to create a "level playing field for all qualified service members."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This should never happen.

I am a former grunt, and I have worked in the Army under all male environments, and mixed environments.

I once had a Batallion Commander (Colonel) who was a sit in on rear detatchment, while my unit was deployed and I was home injured.

If you want to see a breakdown of order and discipline among combat MOS's, put a woman in charge.

I'm not sexist, but the majority of the military is.

Could this be the next step in dismantling the military in order to put a domestic force and UN substitute in place?

www.cnn.com

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry
Could this be the next step in dismantling the military in order to put a domestic force and UN substitute in place?

Nah, it's just another stupid idea brought to you by the US Congress. People making these decisions and putting forth these ideas, yet they aren't going to be the ones dealing with it.

Females in the Infantry is a bad idea on a tremendous scale. There have been very, very few that could do that job, and they usually didn't last long and left injuried.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

www.cnn.com

A Pentagon commission on diversity is recommending the U.S. military end its ban on women serving in direct combat roles -- a restriction the group says is discriminatory and out of touch with the demands of modern warfare.

In its draft report, the Military Leadership Diversity Commission said the military should gradually eliminate the ban in order to create a "level playing field for all qualified service members."

women should b e allowed to serve in combat....
serve 3 course meals, on a lovely dining set...

*waits for chick based reprisals*
edit on 15-1-2011 by okamitengu because: cant type.. cant spell!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I have a better idea.

Just limit the entire military to the gays and females.

Jesus.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I doubt it, women serve in combat in other country's military. Canada's been doing it for a while now.

www.cbc.ca...

In 1987, the Combat Related Employment of Women (CREW) trials were launched, with the object of integrating women into selected active combat units and naval vessels. That same year, the Air Force opened all areas of employment, including fighter pilot, to women.

The Canadian Armed Forces opened all occupations, including combat roles, to women in 1989. Only submarines were excluded and they followed in 2000. About 15 per cent of Canadian Forces personnel are women. About two per cent of Canadian regular force combat troops are women. There are 99 female combat officers in the regular force. Today, women make up 15 per cent of the Canadian military with over 7,900 female personnel currently serving in the regular force and more than 4,800 women serving in the primary reserve. Out of that number, 225 women are part of the regular combat force and 925 are enlisted in the primary reserve combat force.

I wouldn't want to do it, but some do, and perform well.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I served in the active army in a highly leveridged MOS which was male and female. I can say for a fact that women can excel in combat. Ask the Germans what they thought about Lidiya Gudovantseva, Red Army Sniper who took out 76 germans in WWII under extremely adverse conditions.

Furthermore, I served with a particularly hardcore female who trained vigorously and joined Delta Force. So I think people need to look at this objectively and use common sense. Why shouldn't women fight? They are Americans.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I served in combat.

I recall extended (weeks) we couldn't bathe.

We tried to bathe every two weeks or so whether we needed to or not . . .

I cannot imagine the stench had we had women with us those time.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Oh yes because women stink so much more than men.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm actually kind of shocked that most people seem to be against this. It seems that the majority of people on this site are against repression and limiting peoples rights. If the excuse is that women cannot perform at an equal level as the men, then are you all saying that women shouldn't have other rights as well? Everyone is so against the government taking rights from everyone, so why should anyone get to pick who it's okay to take away rights from? You can't have it both ways, they can take from everyone or no one... I feel that women should be drafted into the military as well if theres a mandatory draft... On the other side of this equation I don't think it is okay for women to be equal when it befits them and just a helpless woman when it's something they don't want to do... That always bugs me but that's probably a whole different topic..

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

"It is stupid to militarize women, to force them to march with drums and flags through the streets of cities as if they were males. Women must be fully feminine, and men must be fully masculine.

"The intermediate sex, homosexuality, is the outcome of degeneration and barbarism."

- Samael Aun Weor

"It is essential for the new generations to become completely cognizant about what savagery and war are.

"Enmity and war in all of its aspects must be comprehended in depth at schools, colleges, and universities.

"The new generations must comprehend that old people—based on their rancid and torpid ideas—always sacrifice the youngsters; yes, old people take the youngsters like oxen into the slaughterhouse.

"Youngsters must not allow themselves to be convinced by the militarist propaganda nor by the old people’s warmonger reasoning, because one form of reasoning opposes another, and one opinion opposes another opinion, yet the truth about war has nothing to do with reasoning or opinions.

"Old people have thousands of justifications for war and sending the youngsters to the slaughter."

- Samael Aun Weor

edit on 15-1-2011 by Tamahu because: edited quote

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gluetrap
Oh yes because women stink so much more than men.

Gonna have that same line of thinking after being locked up in a tank turret with a woman TC that's going thru "that time of the month"?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I doubt it, women serve in combat in other country's military. Canada's been doing it for a while now.

Yes, but are they Infantry? The US has had women in combat for a while now, but they aren't infantry. That's a whole different world out there. Think a woman could hump 50+ pounds of gear (not counting that 100+ pound ruck) for an extended period of time?

There's a reason why the PT test is different for men and women.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthXninja
If the excuse is that women cannot perform at an equal level as the men, then are you all saying that women shouldn't have other rights as well?

No, it's not that. It's saying that women can't perform as infantry.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't see a problem with this at all. It's not like they are just going to let any 4 ft 6 in, 100lb woman in the army. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to go to boot camp and pass training before you're shipped off into the combat zones? So only the tough women are going to make it in anyway. I imagine there will be a bunch of butch women like that chick from Aliens who kick a lot of ass.

See that chick with the red bandana and the huge gun? She looks like she could kill a man with no remorse. Imagine a bunch of those kinds of females fighting in the army, would anybody have a problem with that?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

They have been doing so in Canada for 20 years.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Most men don't do that either. There are bounds of reason and if people don't want to have a real conversation then nothing will ever get accomplished. As for PT standards? They are sexist in favor of women b/c every woman I ever served with that wasn't lazy or broken could do the male minimums and more.

I usually scored in the 290s on my PT test (never was a fast runner but could push out 90/100 push ups and situps if pressed) and the exceptional women in my unit could match my situp score and were within a minute or so of my runtime (usually in the 14 minutes range).

As for odors. You get used to it. My battle buddy was a woman (I'm a man) and we shared the same sleeping quarters and rucksack when we were in the field.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Call me old fashion (I am female) - men have always been the ones to be in combat and women played their roles as a support system. Nurses, wives, Mothers (gotta keep the home fires burning) - I think it should remain as it is. As a women I cannot imagine being in combat along side men, I am practical enough to know I cannot in any way keep up with the physical or mental demands. My 2 cents and dinner if you were here.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Women in combat units is a bad idea for so many reasons. Feminists are driving this because combat experience leads to faster promotions. The feminists don't really care about the military's readiness and capability to fight so hampering it is not their concern. This is dated but still mostly true:

www.heritage.org...

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
I don't see a problem with this at all. It's not like they are just going to let any 4 ft 6 in, 100lb woman in the army. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to go to boot camp and pass training before you're shipped off into the combat zones? So only the tough women are going to make it in anyway. I imagine there will be a bunch of butch women like that chick from Aliens who kick a lot of ass.

See that chick with the red bandana and the huge gun? She looks like she could kill a man with no remorse. Imagine a bunch of those kinds of females fighting in the army, would anybody have a problem with that?

You do realise that the people in that picture are actors, right? The real world is a lot different.

Yep, everyone goes thru training before the deploy, but going thru infantry training, either in the Marines or the Army, is a whole new ballgame. So they let women become infantry and they fail; what then? Lower the standards so they can pass? So then you have sub-standard training for people going into combat, and that will get Troops killed.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join