It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharks spotted swimming through flood-hit streets of Australian town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I guess we should be getting used to an increasing level of strange occurrences that pertain to Mother Nature. Massive flooding and mud slides in various parts of the world, birds falling like stones from the sky, fish kills and on and on it goes.

I read this and just thought Holy !@#$. Bull sharks are known to make themselves comfortable in the strangest places especially in rivers. Crocodiles, poisonous snakes of all kinds and now sharks.

Two bull sharks, renown for their aggression, were spotted swimming through the flooded streets of a small town in the inundated Australian state of Queensland, the Queensland Times reported Friday.

The amazing sightings were made in Goodna, a center of around 8,000 people which lies between the state capital Brisbane and the nearby southeast city of Ipswich.

One of the sharks was spotted by local butcher Steve Bateman swimming in floodwaters near his shop Thursday while another one was seen in water covering the town's main street.

Ipswich councilor Paul Tully said he believed the reports. “It’s definitely a first for Goodna, to have a shark in the main street," he said.

“I know Steve and he wouldn’t say he saw a shark unless he really saw one. It’s not like there have been polar bears or crocodiles spotted. Bull sharks have been in Goodna for a long time in the Bremer [river].

“They are regularly in the Brisbane River and often swim up. I know a number of fishermen who have caught bull sharks.”

Goodna was flooded by water up to 25-foot (eight meters) deep during this week's deluge which has impacted 75 percent of Queensland.

Rescue teams and victims of the flooding have already had to deal with crocodiles and snakes, with Australia's northeast -- which has been battered by weeks of flooding -- home to some of the world's most dangerous species.

www.qt.com.au...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You would think a rescue would come quickly, now those poor people have to contend with these guys!!!

Unbelievable!

In fact that photo freaks me out!
edit on 14-1-2011 by Xcellante because: Addtional Info

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
That is just about the scarriest thing I can imagine. Sharks terrify me and knowing that bull sharks invaded rivers was already bad enough. The thought of a flood really really really really sucks. Putting those two horrible ideas together is just crazy. I can only imagine the obituary of someone killed by a shark while going to thebutcher shop.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

I agree. Australians are incredibly gutsy people to be living with the dangerous creatures they do under the best of circumstances. I can't imagine putting up with what they are dealing with now. Fortunately it doesn't sound like the sightings are numerous yet. Still, one is one too many for my liking.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

I agree. Australians are incredibly gutsy people to be living with the dangerous creatures they do under the best of circumstances. I can't imagine putting up with what they are dealing with now. Fortunately it doesn't sound like the sightings are numerous yet. Still, one is one too many for my liking.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
G'day All,

No there no bull sharks swimming up thous rivers, just bull plop scare mongering.
Us Ausie’s love to pull one and others legs. Nothing could swim in that soup of crap, everything got swept out to sea.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
you aussies, always gotta one up :p

the world ends, and you guys are driving around in v8s

got the best surfing, and now you guys have to one up flood areas by adding in sharks -_-

lol jk i kid i kid

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kernoonos

I do not know what your rivers are like there on the other side of the planet but bull sharks do a wonderful job making it pretty far inland in the US through rivers. The idea that flooded rivers might bring sharks into town just never crossed my mind until now. So if the OP is true or you are telling the truth, either way I now have a whole new senseless fear to linger in my head.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Doesn't prove a point as everyone lives around the most dangerous creatures of all - us!!

In a survival situation, you only need to think if your life or others is worth saving. So good luck to all!
edit on 15-1-2011 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join