It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks: "Saddam's Message Of Friendship To President Bush"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Wikileaks: "SADDAM'S MESSAGE OF FRIENDSHIP TO PRESIDENT BUSH"

SADDAM WISHED TO CONVEY AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO
PRESIDENT BUSH: IRAQ WANTS FRIENDSHIP, BUT DOES
THE USG? IRAQ SUFFERED 100,000'S OF CASUALTIES
AND IS NOW SO POOR THAT WAR ORPHAN PENSIONS WILL
SOON BE CUT; YET RICH KUWAIT WILL NOT EVEN ACCEPT
OPEC DISCIPLINE........PICKING HIS WORDS WITH CARE, SADDAM SAID
THAT THERE ARE "SOME CIRCLES" IN THE USG,
INCLUDING IN CIA AND THE STATE DEPARTMENT,
BUT EMPHATICALLY EXCLUDING THE PRESIDENT AND
SECRETARY BAKER, WHO ARE NOT FRIENDLY TOWARD
IRAQ-U.S. RELATIONS
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-1-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: spelling

edit on Sun, 02 Jan 2011 19:30:42 -0600 by MemoryShock because: Mod Edit - All Caps Title.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Very interesting cable from Wikileaks, released on New Years Day.

It shows an intelligent, "compassionate" side of Saddam and his desire for peace. He was willing to communicate and compromise, but not willing to cave in to political pressure.

Also interesting is the fact that Saddam knows a war with the US is downright suicide. But he is willing to take the blow if a diplomatic solution does not present a solution to his countries troubles.

There are many other interesting statements to be found in this cable. Regardless of your political position, this is worth a read. Was Saddam looking to find peace....or were his terms of compromise too far fetched for the international community?

(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-1-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: Add text

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Saddam had been a US asset for years. He knew he could never stand a chance against the US. The Clinton/Bush administrations backed Saddam into a corner. In a last futile gesture he tried to sell oil with Euros, and we attacked. Saddam was sneaky, dangerous, and cruel. What he was not was a fool. He used the US for his personal rise to power, but misjudged the danger when working with an imperial powers.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Doesn't matter how "kind" he seemed, the man was responsible for many deaths and in my book that is one too many to disregard. I certainly hope people are not out trying to turn him into some kind of saint, because when you are in a position of power and people die under your watch no matter what country your in or ruling YOUR at fault and he got what was coming to him it's called karma.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What's the big deal here? This "diplomacy" using diplo-talk. It's no different than Mark Anthony allying himself with Octavian because it was expedient, at least for awhile, or Cleopatra supporting Caesar's enemies, then deftly switching to Anthony. There's no real desire for 'friendship' here at all. It's all just manuevering for position, playing one card after the other hoping to out fox your opponent and gain an advantage. Saddam's deck ran out. Tough. He was a brutal dictator and deserved it.

+64 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

...when you are in a position of power and people die under your watch no matter what country your in or ruling YOUR at fault and he got what was coming to him it's called karma.

OK.

So when does karma get the Bush Crime Family?

+33 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well when Bush put Iraq on the sponsors

of terrorism list.

Would you not think

Saddam kind of had a clue

that they were not *friends*.

Saddam was a sicko, murdering, genocide, psycho.

Assange follows in Saddam's footsteps on the scale of global terror..

This is just some more junk, is this suppose to be the Assange *we got you now* momment?...

If so EPIC FAIL AGAIN, nothing world changing from wikileaks.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth

...when you are in a position of power and people die under your watch no matter what country your in or ruling YOUR at fault and he got what was coming to him it's called karma.

OK.

I'm hoping Paraguay will be the place where dinosaurs spontaneously reappear on Earth while the Bush family (unsuccessfully) fights to survive. They toss out Barbara in an attempt to satiate the T-Rex. And Cheney will go down shooting (and missing).
I want Doug McClure to play Dubya in the movie.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth

OK.

Hopefully soon!!!!

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
What's the big deal here? This "diplomacy" using diplo-talk. It's no different than Mark Anthony allying himself with Octavian because it was expedient, at least for awhile, or Cleopatra supporting Caesar's enemies, then deftly switching to Anthony. There's no real desire for 'friendship' here at all. It's all just manuevering for position, playing one card after the other hoping to out fox your opponent and gain an advantage. Saddam's deck ran out. Tough. He was a brutal dictator and deserved it.

Am I to believe you are saying he and the Iraqi people deserved the war? And that the tens of thousands of innocent who died was just collateral damage.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

There is no doubt that Saddam was not a saint and did some horrific things. I used the word compassionate to display the tone of the talks. It seems to me that he was willing to talk with his neighbors and the US before his country fell. That sort of approach strikes me as odd for a man of his nature.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

I believe as well that switching to oil currency was the final straw. Isn't Iran thinking of possibly doing the same thing?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Good to see the actual cables being discussed as opposed to members getting caught up in the media spin of his personal life or dribbling on about Wikileaks being a CIA front.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

do not forget that not too long in our own history U.S. did some genocide of its own.does it matter that it was 120 years or 20 ago? I dont think so

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Electric Crown

I think it has something to do with certain members having issues with their eyes and needing magnified views of the screen.

+27 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
Well when Bush put Iraq on the sponsors

of terrorism list.

Would you not think

Saddam kind of had a clue

that they were not *friends*.

Saddam was a sicko, murdering, genocide, psycho.

This is just some more junk, is this suppose to be the Assange *we got you now* momment?...

You know what. I see yoiu post in every thread about wikileaks. You say the same crap, and when someone debates with you, you vanish!

People like you bug me, with your blind Patriotism for your country. You can slag of wikileaks as much as you want, and if you really think that wikileaks has not released important information, then you will never see.

The world will be a much better place once we get rid of Patriotism for your country, and you have to remember, its the governments that install this belief into their own people, basically brainwahes them. Sorry to say it, but you are one of them.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Not sure I follow you . How does "more junk" , "EPIC FAIL" , and "nothing world-changing" , equate to "global Terror" ? If it is all so much BS , how can you describe it as global terror ? Do you feel the world is being terrorized by Assange ?
If so , how is that so , if everything he releases is just non-consequential "junk" ?

Is there actually anyone out there , who feels terrorized by Julian Assange ? Other than government and military figures , who apparently have something to hide , if they are so afraid of these leaks ?

Also , could you elaborate a bit further , as to how Saddam was a terror-threat , on the "global" scale ?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

That's what I am trying to do here. The content of the cables are what interest me, not the finger-pointing.

Another part that interests me is this:

THE FINANCIAL SITUATION IS SUCH THAT THE PENSIONS FOR WIDOWS AND ORPHANS WILL HAVE TO BE CUT. AT THIS POINT, THE INTERPRETER AND ONE OF THE NOTETAKERS BROKE DOWN AND WEPT.

Saddam aside, this is obviously an emotional issue to the Iraqis. It's clear the country was in a world of hurt.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join