It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you join the peace corps in return FREE Healthcare and FREE Education?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Everyone wants something for free.

The military gets stuff (i.e. Health care, education, etc) for free but they invade and occupy foreign lands in return for it.

So now the American population wants free stuff, but they don't want to do anything for it. Since so many Americans appear to be against warfare then they should join the peace corps, in return for free healthcare and free education, and bring humanitarian aid to the world instead.

Since we are a free society, you would have a choice. Join the military, join the peace corps, join neither but receive government benifits and pay for them, or you could completely opt out and make your own way. If you choose to opt out and receive no government benefits then you wouldn't be required to pay into the system.

Why do we build slums in our own country when we should be training Americans for war and peace so that they can be sent out of the country, perhaps to do some good?
edit on 28-12-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Healthcare and education are never free. You've just proposed a model in which other people pay for the healthcare and education of those in the peace corps. Who would bear the cost and why should they?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned

Who would bear the cost and why should they?

A point open to debate.

Does debt accually exist?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I like the premise...however, lets get real..helping some village in africa get clean water does not help out the economy back home. So, some new program that creates a sort of peace corp for the country itself is in order.

Spend a few years running fiber optics through rural and low income areas, installing a large network of solar panels across the highways and tapping into the electrical grid, etc..things that fuel infrustructure and help the long term economy out seems highly reasonable. This would save billions of $$$, which in turn could pay for health care, and increase employment opportunities with the new infrustructure being developed

Good line of thinking though. So, what shall we call our new citizen investment plan then.

It is time to get serious:

edit on 28-12-2010 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I like the premise...however, lets get real..helping some village in africa get clean water does not help out the economy back home. So, some new program that creates a sort of peace corp for the country itself is in order.

Two divisions:

National peacecorps and international peacecorps.

So, what shall we call our new citizen investment plan then.

How about the get your lazy, fat butts off the couch and back to work inititive?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Lmao, you all are funny.

All the comments posted above including the OP are feeding and fueling the systems machine to keep you trapped and enslaved by a system you tell yourselves you can't stand.

EDIT To Add:

It's a difficult process to free ourself and a simple process to accept the realities sold to us.
edit on 28-12-2010 by TheGiantPeach because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGiantPeach

All the comments posted above including the OP are feeding and fueling the systems machine to keep you trapped and enslaved by a system you tell yourselves you can't stand.

What would you have us do, seal the borders and stand back while the rest of the world destroys itself and we destroy ourselves from within?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
ur joking right??
u can't be that naive.
The peace corp is a
stepping stone for a lot
of covert CIA operatives.
Economic hit men, covert
spying, etc...

u may get an education and healthcare
but the dangers are far worse
than serving in the military.
As a covert CIA op, u have no back
up when TSHTF. And also as they say:
Once you're CIA, ur always CIA.
Nobody ever really leaves the agency.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

the dangers are far worse than serving in the military.

The military is just a phone call away and we've all seen what happens to poor countries, wandering nomadic tribesman and rural farming villages that resist us and attack our citizens. We invade them and setup shop permanently making their capitals puppet city states of Washington.

It's quite simple really. These poor countries and regions can accept an offering of peace and be built up or they can be flattened and rebuilt. It's all the same in the end.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

ur joking right??
u can't be that naive.
The peace corp is a
stepping stone for a lot
Economic hit men, covert
spying, etc...

Sign me up,.
again...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Don't come to me for answers.

WWUD?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
The military is just a phone call away and we've all seen what happens to poor countries, wandering nomadic tribesman and rural farming villages that resist us and attack our citizens. We invade them and setup shop permanently making their capitals puppet city states of Washington.

It's quite simple really. These poor countries and regions can accept an offering of peace and be built up or they can be flattened and rebuilt. It's all the same in the end.

lol, a phone call away ????
not unless u have a sat phone.
Some of the remote areas
PC would be stationed, there isn't
a phone for 20 miles or more.

And I have a big problem with
the fundamental thinking that
because they won't conform
then they need to be ruled
or controlled. That is NWO
thinking and agenda.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGiantPeach

WWUD?

World government with American ideals, but hopefully better implementation.

Instead of the US giving up Sovereignty, we'll just expand our borders.

We have learned from the American experiment?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I personally do everything I can in my own backyard first. And I consider what I do more important than military, and frankly, I dont ask anyone for anything for doing it.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

lol, a phone call away ????

not unless u have a sat phone.

Some of the remote areas
PC would be stationed, there isn't
a phone for 20 miles or more.

The peace corps would have to be outfitted for the requirements of thier mission and that might indeed include Sat phones. I'm sure our Asian manufactures would be more than willing to produce the neccessary items.

And I have a big problem with
the fundamental thinking that
because they won't conform
then they need to be ruled
or controlled. That is NWO
thinking and agenda.

I don't think it's all about control or ruling over them. It's about dominating the world by any means neccessary and freeing people who are trapped by circumstances beyond their control.

Left to themselves these poor people have little to no hope of saving themselves and understanding democracy.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Sort your own messes out there rather than forcing your bolloxed system on the rest of the world.. Believe it or not the world can manage without u.s meddling in everything..

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

ur joking right??
u can't be that naive.
The peace corp is a
stepping stone for a lot
Economic hit men, covert
spying, etc...

Exactly.. Well said...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888

Sort your own messes out there rather than forcing your bolloxed system on the rest of the world.

I cannot deny that our system in America has a few minor flaws.

Believe it or not the world can manage without u.s meddling in everything.

Prove it or be dominated

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Everyone wants something for free.

The military gets stuff (i.e. Health care, education, etc) for free but they invade and occupy foreign lands in return for it.

So now the American population wants free stuff, but they don't want to do anything for it. Since so many Americans appear to be against warfare then they should join the peace corps, in return for free healthcare and free education, and bring humanitarian aid to the world instead.

Peace Corps Volunteers only get paid about $200 a month (about $2,400 a year). Depending on the site, a volunteer can live quite well on that since they get "free housing" as well (but not usually utilities, if there are any). At the end of their service, they get about $5000 for "education" but really they can use it on whatever they want. Most spend TWO years living in rough, remote conditions without electricity or indoor plumbing. It's a tough job. They return to America after their two year service unemployed. That $5000 is really just to carry them through. As for "free medical", there are extensive medical tests as part of the application process to weed out those who are unhealthy. "Free healthcare" in the other country is a necessity since the healthcare facilities of many of the countries are substandard. After the two years are up, the "free healthcare" goes away.

People can also join AmeriCorps and volunteer here in the States. However, the pay is quite low given where people are placed. Of the two (AmeriCorps or Peace Corps), the better gig would be the Peace Corps.

In my opinion, the best gig for "free" is the military. People in the military fare much better because they get paid more and get other free or discounted services besides healthcare.

(Remember, we're talking "free" here, not danger levels, because that's a completely different issue.)

I agree with you, OP. If you're unemployed and not sure what to do, any of those things would at least keep you occupied for a couple of years. You'll have food, a roof over your head, and medical care. You'll learn new skills while helping others.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

We will all be a part of something before they're through with us
Military, Peace Corps, Citizencorps or intermittent camp. You choose, they decide

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join