It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests Planned for Beginning of War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
My question is, What do these people hope to accomplish?

If I have to get somewhere and these freaks are blocking my way god help them.....

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20030318/ap_on_re_us/war_s_outbreak_protests_7

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 08:22 AM
link   

My question is, What do these people hope to accomplish?

they're fighting for democracy, at a time when the governement isnt.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karl Molarius
they're fighting for democracy, at a time when the governement isnt.

I agree with you whole heartedly Karl. But I think its too little too late. People can protest all they want but it truely wont get them anywhere now. "Dubya" is deadset on fighting this war.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 08:32 AM
link   
How is blocking traffic or a doorway "fighting for Democracy"?

How is our Gov not fighting for Democracy?

Please explain....

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   

dom

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Our government is fighting for the type of democracy where the big politicians allow the public to speak, but don't listen.

When we're out protesting this war on Saturday we will be arguing for true democracy. Tony Blair does not deserve our support, he has shown us nothing but contempt.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Sure they can voice their objections, I have no problem with that.

However to call civil disobedience "fighting for Democracy" is ludicrous.

Once again I ask, What are they trying to accomplish?

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
They are trying to show the president that most of America is against this war.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 08:54 AM
link   

How is our Gov not fighting for Democracy?
Please explain....

Difficult to imagine ?

Democracy is based on legality. Doing what you see fit to isnt democratic. The UN is a democratic body. Their voice is unanimous. World opinion is unanimous. Bush ignores law, and even spreads forged evidence and false allegations. Trying to change the rules when you dont like them isnt democratic. It's a criminal behaviour.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Well, if your opposed to "criminal behavior" and a champion of "legality", how could you not support what we are doing?

What we are doing is legal and just. Saddam is a criminal.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well, I have yet to see 150 million people protest the war - and all the polls seem to indicate that most Americans DO support the war. So, I just don't see how most Americans oppose the war.

I'm all for the right to protest - but I don't think anyone has really answered jms88: How is blocking traffic or a doorway "fighting for Democracy"?

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I disagree with the way it is being handled.

What Bush is doing IS a violation of international law, technically speaking, whether you're for the war or not... The cause may be just (I believe it is), but it is not "legal".

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88

I'm all for the right to protest - but I don't think anyone has really answered jms88: How is blocking traffic or a doorway "fighting for Democracy"?

Hi Bob!

Well I suppose the view might be, "How else can the common man (not meant in a perjorative sense) demonstrate their dissatisfaction and unease?" Throughout History, people have shown dissent and unlawful behaviour in an attempt to get their POV across. I'm thinking know of the Suffragette movement in the UK when women chained themselves to railings or, in one case, threw herself under a race horse. So, whilst I am not condoning these planned activities, I can see that there are precedents for them.

Perhaps we are in the End Days, with wars and rumours of wars, and anarchy hits the streets? Perhaps we've all gone mad....

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88

Hi Bob!

Well I suppose the view might be, "How else can the common man (not meant in a perjorative sense) demonstrate their dissatisfaction and unease?" Throughout History, people have shown dissent and unlawful behaviour in an attempt to get their POV across. I'm thinking know of the Suffragette movement in the UK when women chained themselves to railings or, in one case, threw herself under a race horse. So, whilst I am not condoning these planned activities, I can see that there are precedents for them.

Perhaps we are in the End Days, with wars and rumours of wars, and anarchy hits the streets? Perhaps we've all gone mad....

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I disagree with the way it is being handled.

What Bush is doing IS a violation of international law, technically speaking, whether you're for the war or not... The cause may be just (I believe it is), but it is not "legal".

If i may transport your views to domestic legal practice, you're also in favor of executions based on "belief" ?

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
No doubt we are living in scary times. I first hand witnessed people jumping from the WTC and it has changed my life.

I just don't see how these types of protest will change anything though.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think that's one of the points that the protesters are getting brought to attention...The point being that our government has gotten out of control & they don't listen to the People who give them their jobs in the first place.

Here's an anology:
If you were the person in charge of hiring & firing people within your company & some of your employees were constantly lying to you, constantly hiding personal projects performed on company time, with company resources, stealing from the company for their personal benefits & never listened to orders coming from their employer...What would you do?

Well, these protesters are showing us *all* that this is what the government is doing to our nation...As the Citizen Body has hired these people to do those jobs *for the nation*, they've done nothing less than backstab the entire nation, as well as most of our "company affiliates" (ie: allied nations) for their own personal reasons & benefits...

...Don't you think it's time to *fire them* & then restructure the system that allowed such people to be hired in the first place?

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   
protesters are exercising their constitutional right. and you have rights as well, if they get in my way i plan on blasting some Ludacris--"Move B*tch Get Out The Way, Get Out The Way B*tch, Get Out The Way!" i suggest you do the same. (who says hiphop is good for nothing?)

new topics

top topics

join