It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FLASH: S. Korea army says to hold largest-ever live-fire drill on Thursday on mainland near border w

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
While I see this as SK pushing the envelope, they still have a right to do this since they are on their own land. It's like my neighbor on the 4th of July. He got peaved because I was setting off M80's. He threatened to bring his gun out if I didn't stop. I was on my own land, so I kept shooting them off. He didn't bring his gun out, but he might have.

You can't give in to a bully when you have every right to do what you want on your land.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I honestly think that the ROK can hold as many drills as they want and showcase everything they have, and the North will simply continue with its rhetoric, at the time and place of its choosing.

IMO, NK are acting more mature than SK or it's backers the US..
But all it will take is one stray shell or dodgy incedent to start something...

That's why you have to wonder at the logic of holding drills so close to the border..
Surely target practice could be held anywhere..

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

#ROK Navy tells VOA 'routine" sea drills also getting underway today through Saturday off east coast. #Koreas 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

So it starts today already on the east coast.

#ROK defense ministry tells VOA doubts Thursday exercise will be "largest ever" but perhaps biggest to take place in winter. 5 minutes ago via TweetDeck

We'll see...

IMO North Korea will do nothing but the South is sure pushing up the envelope.
edit on 21-12-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Again.. lies.. Show me one..

Seriously... I agree, the south is gonna push this until Lil Kim whips out his arsenal and has a go at it!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I just hope everybody can play nice in the sand box. What are they thinking- they got away as far as they know with mondays drill.
edit on 21-12-2010 by xynephadyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
IMO, NK are acting more mature than SK or it's backers the US..
But all it will take is one stray shell or dodgy incedent to start something...

That's why you have to wonder at the logic of holding drills so close to the border..
Surely target practice could be held anywhere..

and I respect that immensely. You are right the drills could be held anywhere, but they are choosing to hold them there, a large number of military personnel is already stationed along the border as well.

It makes me think about when I was in high school. In my neighborhood there was a guy, and i wont even call him a bully, that didnt get along too well with me. He saw me walking past his house one dday and confronted me, telling me not to come around anymore. Well since it was the shortest way for me to walk home, I told him that i would continue. He threatened that if he saw me around anymore than he would kick my .......
I continued to walk that way for the rest of the year, and he made a few more threats, but never ever did he have the back to make good on his threats. Even had a bunch of friends over many times, sure I gt verbally abused, sometimes a rock thrown or something, but I did not back down to the threat. I could have walked another way, I could have avoided the situation altogether.

If ROK wants to hold drills on their sovereign land, then they should, and not back down because of a threat.
If Kim hadnt made these threats, we wouldnt even be discussing military drills in the ROK.
Its the threats that make this a story, and thats the shame of it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

I see you edited your post, but I'll leave my response...

Sorry, no suburbs for me. I was born in the country and have lived in the country for the past fifty years. No better living than the country in my opinion.

edit on 21-12-2010 by kennylee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Everyone remember who the Secretary General of the U.N. is?

Ban Ki-moon
en.wikipedia.org...

Anyone ever wonder if he's related to Sun Myung Moon, the founder of the Unification Church, otherwise known as the Moonies.

Anyone remember that Sun Myung Moon claims to be the Messiah?

Anyone remember how Moon was "coronated" in a private meeting by certain U.S. Senators?

The Rev. Moon Honored at Hill Reception
www.washingtonpost.com...
edit on 12/21/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

If ROK wants to hold drills on their sovereign land, then they should, and not back down because of a threat.

But just a "what if"...
What if NK are telling the truth that they did not sink that ship and that SK shelled them first..??

If you were NK then you would not want anymore drills near your border knowing it's the perfect opportunity for another incident..

On the other hand..If NK were responsible for both events they why would the SK want to provoke more???

Either scenario doesn't make sense unless it's deliberate provacation...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Everyone remember who the Secretary General of the U.N. is?

Ban Ki-moon
en.wikipedia.org...

Anyone ever wonder if he's related to Sun Myung Moon, the founder of the Unification Church, otherwise known as the Moonies.

Anyone remember that Sun Myung Moon claims to be the Messiah?

Anyone remember how Moon was "coronated" in a private meeting by certain U.S. Senators?

The Rev. Moon Honored at Hill Reception
www.washingtonpost.com...
edit on 12/21/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

Off topic but I will bite.....

Ban is the surname here, not Moon,
so no I dont think they are related, could be wrong, but I dont think so. It would be like asking if Frank Sinatra is related to Frank Zappa, because they are both named Frank
edit on 21-12-2010 by youdidntseeme because: hit reply too early

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

On the other hand..If NK were responsible for both events they why would the SK want to provoke more???

Could it be they are pissed because dozens of their friends and relatives were killed?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Either scenario doesn't make sense unless it's deliberate provacation...

I think we can agree here, it is deliberate.
Whether its provocation so they can get hit first or simply standing up and doing it because they can, while knowing the risks, it is deliberate.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I am going with you on this one it is black and white ,plain as day, in your face, provocation. There is absolutely no denying that. Quite disgusting actually.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel

I am going with you on this one it is black and white ,plain as day, in your face, provocation. There is absolutely no denying that. Quite disgusting actually.

Yes and history tends to agree that when the President or the economy are in trouble war quite often follows..

ATM, Obama's approval rating and that of the governments are at all time lows.
And the economy is in freefall...

So we have both events happening...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
A little stimulus for a shotty economy, war makes jobs right, and I mean real war nasty war the kind no one likes to think about. Not a mere skirmish.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
A little stimulus for a shotty economy, war makes jobs right, and I mean real war nasty war the kind no one likes to think about. Not a mere skirmish.

Well if SK and NK start a war the US will be automatically involved given that some 30,000 US troops are stationed in SK so you would expect US casualties...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I would expect 99.9 % of the casualties to be NK!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resurrectio

I would expect 99.9 % of the casualties to be NK!

I guess that depends how NK play it..

eg: If NK stormed in SK it would be hard for the US to use it's air to combat them..
Or if NK launched multiple missiles or even a nuke..

I dread even thinking about it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

[Yes and history tends to agree that when the President or the economy are in trouble war quite often follows..

ATM, Obama's approval rating and that of the governments are at all time lows.
And the economy is in freefall...

So we have both events happening...

Agreeance here...

and the usual outcome is a climb in both the popularity and the economy.
I, for one, would like to see the economy boosted, but I would hope to avoid war to do so.
As my military history professor used to say in college....
'Never enter into a land war in Asia'

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join