It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prawn Lunch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Today I ate a wonderful lunch cooked by me.

Food, Wonderful food.
These recipes are easy to cook and when combined are perfect for seafood lovers.

First on the menu we have;

‘Gambas al pil pil’ – Spicy Prawns

Followed by another prawn dish;

‘Gambas a la plancha’ – Prawns cooked on a hotplate

These are accompanied by two side dishes, which are always present on a Spanish table, bread and olives.
These are the olives I prefer which are from the region of Andalucía, south of Spain.

I am currently residing in Barcelona; here the bread is served with tomatoes and olive oil
All this helps to go down well with a nice bottle of wine and some water
For sea food preferably white wine, but I dislike white wine, I am drinking a bottle of ‘Ribera Del Duero’ red.

I accompanied my seafood with another side dish, a salad;

‘Ensalada de pimientos asados’ – Green and red roasted pepper salad

Ok, enough of the chit chat and let’s get to the basics
This is all for one person

First dish – Gambas al pil pil (Spicy prawns)

Ingredients;
6 nice sized fresh prawns (shrimps preferably medium or large, in Spain they are called ‘Langostinos’)
Olive oil virgin
Garlic
Chilies
Paprika
Salt

Method;
Peel the prawns, removing the head and tail. Put them aside in a bowl. Chop up the garlic in thin strips and place into a saucepan. Throw in the chilies also, 3 would be enough, depends on how hot you want the dish to be. Cover with the oil, enough oil and begin to heat. Throw in a spoon or two of paprika and season with a little salt, wait for the oil to reach boiling point. When it starts to bubble throw in the prawns and cook for 2 mins, have a look, when they turn red they are ready. Serve immediately piping hot. Have your bread ready to dip in!

Second dish – ‘Gambas a la plancha’ (prawns on a hotplate)

Ingredients;
Prawns, again nice sized. The amount depends on how much food you can stomach. I made 12 prawns.
Garlic
Olive oil virgin
Lemon
Parsley
Sea salt
Method;
Peel and chop the garlic and cook in a frying pan till they start to look golden. Take off the garlic and place on a side plate. Chop the parsley and throw it in the frying pan with the lemon juice, squeeze those lemons and get those juices in! Stir until you have a light sauce then add the garlic and stir in well. Next step is to add the sea salt to the prawns, don’t be shy, and get it on there. Turn the prawns and season well then throw on a hot plate, turning them until they turn a little golden and they are done. Remember not to overcook them. Once your prawns are ready, pour the sauce over them and serve hot. Enjoy.
Third dish – ‘Ensalada de pimientos asados’ (Green and red roasted pepper salad)
Ingredientes;
3 Peppers, 2 Green and 1 Red
1 Tomato
1 Onion
Tuna
2 Eggs
Oil
Salt
Vinegar

Method;
Turn on oven at 200 º C (above and below)
Take a baking tray and cover with baking paper. Place the peppers, onion, skin removed and the whole tomato on it. Brush them with olive oil. Take a knife and prick the tomato three or four times, so they don’t pop in the oven.
Add a pinch of salt over the vegetables and put in oven at 200º C for 50 mins. Whilst the vegg is in the oven boil the eggs for 10 mins until they are hard, add a teaspoon of salt to the water and remove from heat. After baking time is over, take the vegg out of the oven and cover with a sheet of aluminum paper, this will make them sweat and will be easier for you to peel off the skin later. Then, let the peppers cool, and then scrape out all the skin. Open them scrape out the seeds and cut the peppers into strips. Peel the tomatoes and cut them into chunks. Cut down the onion into small pieces and mix all the vegetables together in a bowl. Now you can add the juices that the vegetables have released and will be on the baking paper. Add salt to taste (half a teaspoon may be enough). Add the vinegar and mix well. Then add the tuna and peel and chop the hard eggs and mix it all well with the vegg. Refrigerate for 5 mins and serve.
This one had a little bit more elaboration to it but its good, get stuck in and reap the rewards.

Serve these starters with the two side dishes, olives and bread.
Slice a tomato in half and grab a piece of bread (nice bread) and rub the tomato until all its beautiful juices are on it, then simply pour a bit of olive oil and we have touchdown.

Serve with the wine and it is just epic.
You can eat all of this with nice paella also.

Whoever said food wasn’t dangerous?
It’s a damn taste explosion!
I hope you enjoy this.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
That all looks so good! Makes me wish I still had some prawns in my freezer

I tried something a couple of years ago, experimenting with food again, it turned out really good.
Peel your prawns, start cooking them in a little bit of white wine, and when they're almost done, pour in some Grande Marnier, or another orange brandy to finish them. They come out sweet, almost like they've been cooked in honey.

Or my other favorite way to do them is in butter, lemon juice, and basil, or thyme. They're so easy and fast to thaw and cook.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

ahh that sounds nice! lol
I will try it out next time for sure.
I love prawns, theres so many ways you can cook them.
Thanks

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Oh this looks reallly good!

I am going to subscribe and mark this as a cooking favorite

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thanks mblah, im very happy you like it.

Goes down well on a hot day.

posted on Jul, 28 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

top topics

join