It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Getting Evicted from Land for living "to simply"

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

My husband can attest to this. He is responsible for cleaning the deification from the sidewalks each morning when he arrives at work.

We were discussing public bathrooms in cities last week. It would be nice if the cities would use some of their money to supply bathrooms to the people walking the streets of cities. Europe does this, from what I understand. There is a fee to use the bathroom, but each stall is cleaned after each use by an attendant. I would donate money to a box outside one of these for people who had to use the bathroom, but couldn't afford to do so.
There is a solution to that "problem".

edit on 1-12-2010 by recycled because: added content

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thewholepicture

Originally posted by randomname
yet they allow homeless people to live in their sh-t and filth on the sidewalk.

Actually, they only temporarily allow them to live on the sidewalk (at least in most places) and just wait for them to break some minor ordinance so they can haul them off to jail or force them out of town.

I lived in Jacksonville Beach where there were many homeless. Generally the police do not bother and do not want to take them to jail because they have no money to pay the system. However if they think you have money and have a few too many drinks they will looks for a reason you arrest you because that is an easy $400+ for Duval County.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thewholepicture

many people in Siberia & some other parts of Russia have lived the same way
&, yea, kingies like it Nowhere & Never

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I don't understand this. If he were living with dependants then yes maybe the authorities would have a course of action (although i would argue even that as long as they don't live in squaller). An outside toilet is not enough for someone to have their kids taken away but that's my personal view. However it seems this is a man with his animals, nothing else and he seems to be keeping them in a good condition, a condition far superior to many farms that use intensive methods of livestock rearing.

So in the end what interest does a government have? If someone wants to live utterly homeless on their own land then the government should not be able to intervene as long as said person doesn't hurt anyone. This man isn't completely homeless either, he has a form of accomodation. Leave him alone.

Of course despite all of this you americans have it far easier than us in the UK. Here it is utterly illegal to camp in any woodland without the owners permission and completely illegal to stay long term in woodland you own unless you have quality accomodation.

Ahh freedom, how i love thee.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

I totally agree. We need to get organized as a local community and arm ourselves and defend each other against any threat the powers that be wish to impose on us. Power to the people! Death to the tyrants!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
7 Towns Where Land is Free
realestate.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

Originally posted by Tulkor

My neighbor is a psychopath and has been since we moved in here. Over an 8 year period the following has occurred:
1. Grease fire nearly burns down his house while my family is away on vacation.
2. Bathroom toilet rotted through the floor into his crawl space, which had bags upon bags of trash and other hazardous materials stored. The Haz-mat people had to come and clear that stuff out. (The city assumes partial ownership of his property)
3. His small suburban backyard has a forest in it.
4. He torches his backyard and leaves the flame unattended, burning a section of our fence.
5. He hoarded trash in his garage to the ceiling, the city came and cleared most of it out.
6. He lost ownership of his dog for unsafe living conditions.
7. He left his torch on overnight surrounded by 3 propane tanks in his front lawn.
8. He has verbally harassed our family, especially my mother...entered our property without permission and nearly has a restraining order.

And this guy is still not evicted...yet the guy the OP is talking about is getting evicted? My city completely sucks!

I wouldn't be surprised if that person you described is collecting welfare and all the government aid he can get. For some reason that makes it so much tougher to get someone evicted.

As angry as I am at my neighbor, I realize that much of that anger should be directed at my city for allowing his actions to go mostly unchecked. They should have removed him a long time ago and placed him in a mental hospital. This guy is not just off his rocker but completely delusional. We have stepped up our aggressiveness toward him and call non-emergency every time he does something that is breaking city ordnance...but they are still slow to act.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This scares me actually. How is this legal. If it is your land it's your land isn't it?
I had always thought I would buy a piece of land to own in case something ever happened and I became way down on my luck. I would always own that land to put a garden and a trailer or tent or whatever. So with the new laws about not being able to be self sufficient with your gardens and own herbs, etc. now you can't live on your own land.

This country is getting scary. Why are we being forced into consumerism and forced into taking on a debt?
(Well.. I know why, but it's so wrong.)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Where is simply? I've never heard of this place. Maybe take a second grade english class. That is, grade two, or is it too?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
What will bother him more than anything is being separated from his animal friends, so very sad!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I bet that is exactly what they did. I had a great uncle that owned some land here in ohio and the city was trying to get it for years. He converted it over to city water and electricity, Filled in the outhouse and even added a room. He was grandfathered in so they couldn't touch it even if he hadn't converted. As soon as he died last year, The city came in and took it. He couldn't will it to anyone. It's pretty sad to, My father was raised in that house and it was built by my great grandfather on my mothers side.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ1969

I bet that is exactly what they did. I had a great uncle that owned some land here in ohio and the city was trying to get it for years. He converted it over to city water and electricity, Filled in the outhouse and even added a room. He was grandfathered in so they couldn't touch it even if he hadn't converted. As soon as he died last year, The city came in and took it. He couldn't will it to anyone. It's pretty sad to, My father was raised in that house and it was built by my great grandfather on my mothers side.

That is a crying shame. Thanks for sharing.

And thanks to so many people here, who realize what an outrage against personal rights, this case really is.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I did not read all of the comments so forgive me if I restate what has already been stated.
Nobody today owns their land. You may own the house built on it but not the property itself, even though you have to pay taxes on it.

I forget the type of deed it is but there is a different kind needed to own the actual land. From my understanding the government has been trying to make it very difficult if not down right impossible to get these deeds for over 40 or 50 years.

This brings me to my next gripe, If you cannot own it then why the hell do we have property taxes? I know the accepted reason as to why we pay them but what an oxymoron!
My Native American ancestors were forcibly removed from their land but now that it happens to an "American" everyone is pissed!

Wake up people why wouldn't this great government do this? They have been working for decades if not centuries to make us fat, stupid, uncaring, timid robots who work in factories and other like fields producing product not questioning the powers that be because we are to fat and stupid and scared!

The government doesn't want citizens it wants mindless sloth like servants that are to afraid to fight back!
If you question authority or think outside the norm you are a THREAT! "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" That little line from the Wizard of Oz should be the governments catch phrase.

It is only going to get worse. Whatever your 2012 scenario is, Disaster, aliens or demons, man made pandemic and FEMA camps believe you me IT IS COMING! Also don't think that it will not be more than one if not all of these scenarios, hell for all you know they are all connected.

This may make some mad but I believe we as a nation (or most of the nation) have become to proud and self important! We have let them poison our minds our bodies and our souls. From the crap fast food we shove down our throats to the increasing demoralization of our kids and ourselves brought on by our blind acceptance if not thirst for "entertainment" and comfort.

Who is really to blame the big bad government or us? Maybe both.
edit on 11/12/2010 by kcs7272 because: Bad spelling. I is dummer than a dawg

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
I did find a single Richard L Thompson listing showing that his 2009 property taxes were $789.33.

Given that it is a fairly small amount, one could conclude that it is an unimproved lot, which would lean towards this being the right Dick Thompson in Madison County, Indiana.

...how can that be right for 30+ acres?... the article said 38 acres... the reporter in the video said 36... whatever... even if it was just 10 acres, less than 800bucks a year seems WAY too low.. maybe thats just for a couple of acres - and - maybe he's behind on the taxes for the other acres...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

My son's first international trip was to Egypt with a group of students. It was very exciting for him. An important observation he shared with me was that there was poo and other waste floating the river and on the sides of the roads and just about everywhere and anywhere. In addition, the students became extremely ill from ingesting some bugaboo. He did not because I warned him within an inch of his life not to drink anything not bottled and to avoid eating food not prepared at an embassy approved resturant. That meant he could not eat food in open air markets...not even vegtables because they were contaminated with human and animal waste. So he obeyed me and instead of being dog sick like many of the kids he had to hold their hands while they puked their guts out and help the adults tend to them as they recovered in their beds for a couple of days.

The reason I share this story is because we have sewer systems in our country for a reason. It will not hurt anything if someone ocassionally poops in the woods or even if some houses lacked plumbing. But can you imagine what your life would be like if millions did this in America? The sanitary public health systems and laws in our developed country are there for a reason. In the olden days when the population was thin, the rustic lives of our forefathers was possible. But that would be an impossible health standard for modern society.

Taking his property for ignoring the law seems extreme. Surely the community could have come together to build something creative like an plumbed "out bathroom" and "out kitchen" for them.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Signed up and left a message as donttakehisland... What a horrible piece that TV reporter did!! I really pray that a higher court can help this man, I hope there is some smart attorney out there with a heart full of compassion for this man and his obviously loved animals. Maybe if he sues for harrasment or whatever, he can afford to have a septic, well, electricity and a brandnew home and barn built.

Bless this situation.

Also for all of the people who think when it all goes down you can just head to your bug out locations, this is something I have thought many times, you just may get kicked off of it.

we can only be kicked so far. some of our butts are already getting sore.

real sore!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

actually we're a representative republic, not a democracy.
really helps to know what you're talking about.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

I have seen many posts about how Americans are lazy and are just letting this happen to us, unlike the "rioters/protesters" in Europe who are causing quite a stir.

We Americans may have been bottling up our feelings about corruption for a while now, unlike the people in Europe (Snaps to those in Europe who are standing firm) But we will eventually have enough, and once that happens, it will set-forth a monster that will not quit until every last one of us is either dead or victorious.

Now That is the Heart of America! (at least was)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I wish somebody would come to my house with that #. Show me some damn papers. Man # this mess! It's time for a revolution. This is far too out of hand, evicting people for living? I guess they figure, "Oh, he ain't paying us nothing? Hell, let's throw him in jail! We'd get paid $500/day. He's better off there ANYWAY!" Get REAL! Where is the people to fight this kind of thing? I guess we've been scared into minding our own business huh? Well if we let it happen to him, then they'll let it happen to us. And trust me, we ARE next.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join