It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery On Dec. 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Well its prolly not exactly what we all want...

I really doubt we are gonna get anything of "real" truth

BUT

this sure will be an interesting day???

Very Interesting that there is a complete Embargoe on info till the 2nd

thoughts???

who wants to debunk this source

WWW.NASA.GOV

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

edit on 30-11-2010 by antibren because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antibren

If it was anything like the last breaking info from nasa it will be a dud...I can't see nasa spilling the beans on anything close to what participants of this website are hoping for...if anything it's microbes and I wonder if this has any link to the Japanese probe that landed on or right next to a meteor...I think they collected some stuff from a filter that was connected to the probe...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Maybe it's about the "space critters?" Perhaps space is kind of like an ocean, teaming with organisms.

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by antibren

WWW.NASA.GOV

Why would any one try to debunk this?.. its geniune, obviously
(Its comments like that and the tone they infer, that make me avoid this forum more and more).

That niggle aside, I wouldnt hold out to much hope of it being mind shattering, but even if its microbes thats still a huge leap forward since the last lot were inconclusive in that 'mars' rock meteor. Baby steps... even if most of us would be happy to just stand up and walk.

Its problably something along the lines of 'we've found atmosphereic readings on an exoplanet that could indicate an environment that could support the presence of life'

edit on 30-11-2010 by BigfootNZ because: Meep

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by antibren

If it was anything like the last breaking info from nasa it will be a dud...I can't see nasa spilling the beans on anything close to what participants of this website are hoping for...if anything it's microbes and I wonder if this has any link to the Japanese probe that landed on or right next to a meteor...I think they collected some stuff from a filter that was connected to the probe...

Yeah like I said I agree...
What we want is the full disclosure from the Gov't
but for the people known as society this is just a baby step for their minds to wrap around life outside this lil planet...

I know the info will be prolly a dud or just crumbs of the giant pie...
but very interesting no matter how big the info is how the mass media outlets will report and to what extent

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

WWW.NASA.GOV

Why would any one try to debunk this?.. its geniune, obviously
(Its comments like that and the tone they infer, that make me avoid this forum more and more).

That niggle aside, I wouldnt hold out to much hope of it being mind shattering, but even if its microbes thats still a huge leap forward since the last lot were inconclusive in that 'mars' rock meteor. Baby steps... even if most of us would be happy to just stand up and walk.

Its problably something along the lines of 'we've found atmosphereic readings on an exoplanet that could indicate an environment that could support the presence of life'

edit on 30-11-2010 by BigfootNZ because: Meep

cant make a joke I even put the
in there...
jeebus

but yes even microbes equals huge for the public eye

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well like I mentioned in another thread, it'll probably be about some sort of microbiology or microbe in water somewhere. Now that I see they've included an oceanographer I think this is the case even more. Saturn's moon Titan or the oceans of Enceladus? Maybe they picked something up when Cassini was checking out the icy geysers....

copy and paste from the other threads about this...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Its ironic because a man is suppose to reveal a piece of meteorite with evidence of extraterrestrial life at a Ramada Inn. Is there any relationship with that story and the NASA announcement?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It seems like, about once every couple of weeks, NASA holds a conference on some new discovery. It's always over-hyped here on ATS.

Here is my take: IF NASA had something spectacular to share with the world, the conference will be broadcast across the globe on MSM from around the world. The fact that it will be broadcast via streaming video from NASA's website tells me that this will be another mundane discussion (for 99.9% of us anyway). I will lay my reputation down on the line right now and declare that there will be nothing that relates to direct (or indirect) evidence of any type of biological discovery outside our own atmosphere. My guess is that this will be about Saturn's moon Rhea, which was recently acknowledged as having oxygen on it. Woohoo....NASA will hold a conference to tell us about something we knew last week. They must think we are a bunch of jagaloons if they think we will tune it for this.....or maybe we are a bunch of jagaloons if we do waste our time tuning in.

I'll be back in a couple of days to get the cliffs notes version that, without doubt, will confirm what I said above.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toxicsurf
Well like I mentioned in another thread, it'll probably be about some sort of microbiology or microbe in water somewhere. Now that I see they've included an oceanographer I think this is the case even more. Saturn's moon Titan or the oceans of Enceladus? Maybe they picked something up when Cassini was checking out the icy geysers....

Nicely researched Im in agreement with the Microbes but the locations are very interesting I got to do some more back info of them

Still this would be very huge...

Scientist are just gonna have to dumb this bit of info for the populous for the uneducated on this....

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Not extreterrestial life

The latest in reply to speculation that it might be.

So, if I had to guess at what NASA is going to reveal on Thursday, I'd say that they've discovered arsenic on Titan and maybe even detected chemical evidence of bacteria utilizing it for photosynthesis (by following the elements). Or something like that

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Embargoe on info till the 2nd?
LOL Where is wikileaks when you need them hahaha

But once we cross the threshold of knowing there is life outside of earth, even if its bacteria, then it makes a hundred times more believable that there is intelligent extraterrestrial life out there like ourselves. More people may even believe in UFOs. Who knows maybe this could be the first real big step towards disclosure, getting people use to the idea that the universe is abundant with life.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Greensboro1978 because: add text

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
There is a thread on this already. This makes thread number 8 or so.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensboro1978
Embargoe on info till the 2nd?
LOL Where is wikileaks when you need them hahaha

But once we cross the threshold of knowing there is life outside of earth, even if its bacteria, then it makes a hundred times more believable that there is intelligent extraterrestrial life out there like ourselves. More people may even believe in UFOs. Who knows maybe this could be the first real big step towards disclosure, getting people use to the idea that the universe is abundant with life.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Greensboro1978 because: add text

my point as well!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
1. I genuinely appreciate NASA giving these warnings ahead of their incredibly important announcements. I then know to pay my $1 lick at the Redbox and forget learning anything valuable well ahead of time.

2. Someday... probably well after we are all dead from old age, NASA will call for a press conference to finally announce what most of us already suspect. Unfortunately, no one will attend.

3. Skeptoids and debunkies will deny the existence of anything... including air, so... who really cares what they think? They are as reliable as NASA, the FDA, TSA and Bank America.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Well its prolly not exactly what we all want...

I really doubt we are gonna get anything of "real" truth

BUT

this sure will be an interesting day???

Very Interesting that there is a complete Embargoe on info till the 2nd

thoughts???

WWW.NASA.GOV

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

Note if you will the _NASA press release_ said it will be presenting information that will *impact the search for evidence*....impact the search for evidence....it say's NOTHING about providing evidence of EBE!

Geeze..some people really dont comprehend the basics of simple reading let alone critical thinking do they:/

Sensationalist hype up by a mad media.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
That is some interesting timing. They announce it on the same day as the wikileak dump ....

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
well i am new to this site, so far everything is an intersting read. glad i found it.i agree that nasa will not ever say anything about anything that is of true substance on higher life forms out there.but, if there ever was an anoucment , i think it would come thru the presidents office than a nasa employee.

top topics

join