It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name Something You Can Do Without Government Permission?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Freedom of speech, write and expression,
which you cant do in Comunist China.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You can travel...how you travel is open to laws...you can walk freely...or you can start using automobiles and have to fall into those guidelines. there is no right for you to drive, there is no right for you to fly..

I really hate people like you - who blindly follow a TV to learn about law. It is people like you who applaud every time the .gov tramples over someone's rights (as long as they are not trampling over yours) - Here my friend, open your eyes and learn something new.

Lets talk about the right to "drive" or the lack thereof as you state.

1. In order for you to KNOW if I have the right to drive, you must first know the legal definition of the word. The word Driver is legally defined as:

DRIVER. One employed...
Bouvier’s Law Dictionary, 1856

DRIVER-- one employed in conducting a coach, carriage, wagon, or other vehicle..."
BOUVIER'S LAW DICTIONARY, (1914) p. 940.

Driver - One employed in conducting or operating a coach, carriage, wagon, or other vehicle, with horses, mules, or other animals, or a bicycle, tricycle, or motor car, though not a street railroad car. See Davis v. Petrinovich, 112 Ala. 654, 21 So. 344, 36 L.R.A. 615; Isaacs v. Railroad Co., 7 Am. Rep. 418, 47 N.Y. 122.
Black's Law Dictionary, 3rd Ed

DRIVER. One employed...
Black’s Law Dictionary, 4th Ed, 1951

Now that you know what a "Driver" is my friend, lets legally define what a motor vehicle is

2. Motor Vehicle Legally Defined

Title18, UNITED STATES CODE Sec. 31
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 2 - AIRCRAFT AND MOTOR VEHICLES

Sec. 31. Definitions

When used in this chapter the term -

''Motor vehicle'' means every description of carriage or other contrivance propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used for commercial purposes on the highways in the transportation of passengers, passengers and property, or property or cargo;

Motor vehicle - Laws of Florida c. 14764 (1931)

The term "motor vehicle" shall include all vehicles or machines propelled by any power other than muscular used upon the public highways (but not over fixed rails) for the transportation of persons or property for compensation either as common carriers, private contract carriers or for hire carriers.

Now that we know what a motor vehicle legally is, it is time to move over to legally defining the word traffic

3. Traffic - Legally defined

Traffic - Bouvier's Law Dictionary (1856)

Commerce, trade, sale or exchange of merchandise, bills, money and the like.

Traffic - Black's Law Dictionary 3rd

Commerce; trade; sale or exchange of merchandise, bills, money, and the like. The passing of goods or commodities from one person to another for an equivalent in goods or money. Senior v. Ratterman, 44 Ohio St. 673, 11 N.E. 321; People v. Horan, 293 Ill. 314, 127 N.E. 673, 674; People v. Dunford, 207 N.Y. 17, 100 N.E. 433, 434; Fine v. Morgan, 74 Fla. 417, 77 So. 533, 538; Bruno v. U. S. (C.C.A.) 289 F. 649, 655.

Traffic-Black's Law Dictionary 6th

Commerce; trade; sale or exchange of merchandise, bills, money, and the like. The passing or exchange of goods or commodities from one person to another for an equivalent in goods and money. The subjects of transportation on a route, as persons or goods; the passing to and fro of persons, animals, vegetables, or vessels, along a route of transportation, as along a street, highway, etc.

And now on to Transportation

Transportation - Black's Law Dictionary 3rd

The removal of goods or persons from one place to another, by a carrier. See Railroad Co. v. Pratt, 22 Wall. 133, 22 L.Ed. 827; Interstate Commerce Com'n v. Brimson, 154 U.S. 447, 14 Sup.Ct. 1125, 38 L.Ed. 1047; Gloucester Ferry Co. v. Pennsylvania, 114 U.S. 196, 5 Sup.Ct. 826, 29 L.Ed. 158.

And now some case law for you my friend: That way you can really open your eyes and learn something new

"... [T]he exemptions provided for in section 1 of the Motor Vehicle Transportation License Act of 1925 (Stats. 1925, p. 833) in favor of those who solely transport their own property or employees, or both, and of those who transport no persons or property for hire or compensation, by motor vehicle, have been determined in the Bacon Service Corporation case to be lawful exemptions.
In re Schmolke (1926) 199 Cal. 42, 46.

""It is obvious that those who operate motor vehicles for the transportation of persons or property for hire enjoy a different and more extensive use of the public highways. * * * Such extraordinary use constitutes a natural distinction and a full justification for their separate classification and for relieving from the burden of the license tax those who merely employ the public highways for the transportation of their own property or employees."
Bacon Service Corporation v. Huss, 129 Cal. 21, 248 P. 235, 238." (State v. Karel, 180 So. 3 at 8.)

"Prior to November 2, 1926, the Statutes of 1925 imposed a license tax ... on those operating motor vehicles over the public highways for hire, ... On November 2, 1926, the People adopted an amendment to article XIII, section 15, of the Constitution, changing the tax rate ... on carriage of passengers and ... on transportation of property, and relieving the carrier of municipal licenses and taxes. ... The amendment contained the provision that 'Such taxes shall be in lieu of all other taxes and licenses' upon the property of such companies."
People v. Borderland Express (1933) 218 Cal. 680, 681.

Hope this helps in showing you that you have the RIGHT to travel using any vehicle you damn well please and the .gov can't touch you unless you allow them to touch you...

That my friend, is a lesson for another day.

Greenovni

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Depends how you define 'the government.' Still, even killing yourself cannot be done of your own volition. You no longer own your own body. Some freedom, eh?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Use microwave energy to pop some popcorn

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I'm the racial majority with a moderate income who lives in the city. What can I do? Have a second child and that child still be counted as a full citizen with full citizenship rights. Granted, there are exceptions to the 1-child policy. Farmers and ethnic minorities seem to have a lot of leeway.

I can also much more freely and openly practice a religion.

Overall, I don't actually consider the U.S. that much more free than many other countries, and I would say that it is less free in some ways. Comparing China and the U.S., I would say that it's more a contest of degrees than anything.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Practice whatever religion you want...
Have more than two children....
Access sites like this on the internet...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I can start a revolution and overthrow the gov!
And I can post a 2nd line.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Excellent question sir!

I have my 2 cents here to add-

Under the premise that:

1. I am created equal by some inhuman Creator,

2. The Rights I claim are unalienable, (meaning I cannot be separated from them)

3. That the purpose of the Amerikan government is to secure my Rights

4. That the only legitimacy the Amerikan govt has is birthed in the spring of my Consent

Therefore, I can do anything without the permission of the Amerikan government.

Now, that does not mean that there are not fines, penalties, armed me to plunder, imprison or torture me if I choose actions that contradict the permission of the Amerikan govt... but it does mean

I am a free man, choosing my actions and being responsible for the consequences of those actions. It means I do not need anyone's permission to make my choice. It means that if, like the Principal in Breakfast Club said, "If ( I ) mess with the bull, ( I ) get the horns."

As an example- I have freely moved about in a vehicle without my county's (state's) license, I have built and organized an intrastate broadcast on the FM frequencies (aka "Pirate Radio") which got the FCC's $10K+ administrative penalties (none of which were ever paid, and without any huff or puff from them). These are small examples of a larger, fuller, and freer life I choose to live.

People marry without permission from their country (state).
People engage in business activity without permission from their country (state).
People engage in employment without permission from the union or their country.

We live in an era with the decline of the union's legitimacy, credibility, power and influence. Same could be said for the member countries of the union.

Permission will give you license... but why would anyone want a license when you're already free??

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Meditate? Masterbate? - yyeah thats right - I said masterbate...we all do it.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You can make explosive compounds for fun. Wait, no you can't. Well maybe if it is just a small amount. I think the law is made up on the spot by the police when they find explosive compounds.
You can grow your own medicine, wait no you can't. They put you in jail for longer than they put murderers in jail.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Wow I find the premise for this thread a little serving. Oh woe is me the big bad government won't let me do anything.I hope you realize that you sound like a spoiled child that doesn't get to go a party cause its past curfew. Do you live in communist china? I don't think so. Not to say that our gorvernment doesn't have their sticky little fingers in all aspects of our lives it could be worse. Our freedom isn't free, and as you sit here whine about the freedoms you don't have.You could be rallying people to your point of veiw, besides on the internet. Start petitions to change the laws. Shaking hands. Kissing babies. Start doing that in china you'd be sent to prison if not executed.You have the freedom to make this country a better place and you have the freedom to do nothing and whine about.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by stinavamp
Wow I find the premise for this thread a little serving. Oh woe is me the big bad government won't let me do anything.I hope you realize that you sound like a spoiled child that doesn't get to go a party cause its past curfew. Do you live in communist china? I don't think so. Not to say that our gorvernment doesn't have their sticky little fingers in all aspects of our lives it could be worse. Our freedom isn't free, and as you sit here whine about the freedoms you don't have.You could be rallying people to your point of veiw, besides on the internet. Start petitions to change the laws. Shaking hands. Kissing babies. Start doing that in china you'd be sent to prison if not executed.You have the freedom to make this country a better place and you have the freedom to do nothing and whine about.

So by your logic we should just grin and bear it and not complain while it continues to get worse.
I suppose it never dawned on you that since you know nothing about me I may have tried all the things you mention and much much more over a 25 year period and discoverd they do not work Mainly cause folks like to get on the net and jaw about stuff but very few will ever take real action. Naw that would have required some forethought and makes too much sense... Sigh.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

All I'm trying to say is if half the people who whine about how the government is infringing upon their rights got off their butts and actually do something then this country would be a better place.Instead of focusing on what you can't do focus on what you can. Then use those tools to your advantage. Besides the aforementioned what have you done to make this country better. Have you helped any old ladies across the road? Offered to babysit for any single mothers? Or even gave someone a simple smile? All these things lend to you people who might be more willing to help in your cause. I'm quite active in my community, but it wasn't easy. My conservative little town wasn't too happy about a tattooed,pierced up wiccan trying to add anything to their city meetings.But volunteering,helping out various charities and just being a altogether good citizen has brought credit to ideas. I have even been asked to run for president of my PTA.From their I might try for school board then city council and who knows where I might be. It only takes one person to change the world. I guess I'm just a glass half full person.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join