It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the India and Burma Plates about ready to Snap again or worse?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'm really not sure which Thread to place this on - Quake Watch and Volcano Watch both apply along with a few others - So, when in indecision - New Thread

My intuition is screaming be careful! My knowledge of quakes and volcanoes is screaming be prepared. I am on pins and needles!

My intention here is not to fear monger it is to share with you all my thoughts and get your thoughts as well and to spread knowledge and give people a head up.

Merapi in Indonesia has just started and eruption phase since the 7.7 quake in Indonesia that has not been seen in centuries. -

Thursday 28th October 2010
Merapi Volcano, Indonesia
A new eruption occurred at Merapi volcano, Indonesia at 4:30 pm on 28th October. Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre reported that a high level eruption was observed from the ground. The eruptions this week have been explosive which is different from that experienced in recent times. The eruption of Merapi volcano on Tuesday produced a vertical blast which reached a height of 1.5 km. This is the first time that this type of eruption has been observed at the volcano. Eruptions of Merapi volcano during the 7–19th centuries A.D. were more violent than the past hundred years, and produced explosion pyroclastic flows. In 2001 scientists predicted that the quiet of the 20th century would be broken by a larger explosive eruption in the coming decades. It is possible that the eruption of Merapi on Tuesday was precipitated by the magnitude 7.7 Sumatran earthquake a few hours earlier. The last eruption of Merapi volcano in 2006 occurred soon after a nearby tectonic earthquake.

Source

First off the bat I would like to say that I am hoping that the Volcano alert status of the 8 volcanoes in Indonesia being raised to level II

The eight volcanoes are:
(1) Mount Sinabung, in Karo, North Sumatera;
(2) Mount Talang, Solok, West Sumatera;
(3) Mount Anak Krakatau, Lampung (Child of Krakatau Volcano);
(4) Mount Papandayan, Garut, West Java;
(5) Mount Slamet, Tegal, Central Java; (6) Mount Dieng, Wonosobo, Central Java;
(7) Mount Semeru, Lumajang, East Java;
(8) Mount Bromo, Probolinggo,

Source

Is this the result of someone just finally updating their data. - I hope, but I don't think so.

The situation is just this - We have had a somewhat major quake - 7.7 - on October 25, 2010. Today, 3 days later 8 volcanoes started rumbling. Here is a Map of the Major Volcanoes of Indonesia . If you plot these volcanoes that have started showing signs of unrest you will see that they line the whole coast line of Indonesia (excluding the Northern tip of Sumatra?). Here is the list of Volcanoes in Indonesia with descriptions.

As we know, on December 26, 2004, we had a MegaThrust quake of 9.1 +/- . The area of the latest quake is in the same area. This is a major Subduction Zone.

It appears to me that the whole fault line is under great, great strain at present is about to snap. The plates are trembling-grinding, the pressure is so intense - Magma is on the move and the volcanoes are rumbling trying to let off pressure (some of which are located in ancient calderas). -- Along the whole of the Indonesian Coast Line, excluding the Northern tip Sumatra area? (are They keeping something from us?).

I see the whole of the fault line in danger of slipping and can not imagine that this would not stir Toba.

Just my thinking at looking at the whole picture. Anyone else have any thoughts?

edit on 29-10-2010 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Funny you should start a thread about this !

for the past few months iv had the uneasy feeling that something huge is about to happen and it will effect the world as we know it ,

you may very well be right because i agree with you , ever since my moms death on oct 2 this feeling has intensified by leaps and bounds . the whole country may be gone within the next year or so.
edit on 29/10/10 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
I see the whole of the fault line in danger of slipping and can not imagine that this would not stir Toba.

That may be more of a possibility than you think. Working on it. Stay tuned.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
S&F for you my friend. I think something major is about to happen too. I feel it in me bones.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I will be keeping an eye on this thread as I find it of great interest.
Only just today I have been trying to figure out if my gut is right, if there is something big just around the corner?!

S+F for you

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

i think everyone that has an interest in events happening around them and who keep an eye on the news, and other media all feel as though something major or "bad" is going to happen.

thing is, before i started showing an interest in conspiracy etc my life just plodded along without any hiccups, or any worries etc, since becoming involved in the whole conspiracy deal..looking at conspiracy sites, youtube etc that is when i started having bad feeling that something big is going to happen.

is this fear real? and with good cause? or is it just that we see so much fear mongering within the conspiracy community that we start to feel uneasy?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have been trying to find out how many eruptions have happened this year already?

I know that on average there are 60 - 70 eruptions per year.

Is there a site with a list of eruptions? I've been searching the net but havent had much luck, or maybe not looking hard enough

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I don't think I've ever posted in the EQ thread but always keep up with it and consider the core group of posters there as sound minded individuals, unlike some of the other forums here. I give a lot more credibility to most of you than select others around here. I wish I had some, or any, of these feelings but instead just observe with a lack of something inside of me devoid of these feeling some of you speak of. Part of me feels jealous because of the lack of them while other parts are content without the anxiety. I don't know, I confuse myself with my complexities.

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

That may be more of a possibility than you think. Working on it. Stay tuned.

You have my curiosity piqued and I'm patiently waiting. Maybe I do have that feeling to some degree. There's something about Toba that I can't put my finger on. Ever since I first learned about it several years ago there's always been something about it. It's not that it worries or concerns me per se but there's something about Toba, compared to Yellowstone or any other mention of a super volcano, that gives me a difficult to describe feeling.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Three_moons

ok, I suppose that's a bit unfair of me. But I will say this much. As you may know, some of us monitor in real time seismographs. We get data at about the same time that the USGS receives it, maybe a touch later.

I have been receiving some, what I regard to be, "unusual" signals from a station that sits on Lake Toba. PuterMan and I are working on it to try and identify them. I suspect that they may be Harmonic Tremors, but there is so much going on on the island of Sumatra, including another close volcano showing activity, that it is extremely difficult to pin these signals as coming from any particular source.

This has apparently started happening after this last big quake, but I am not 100% sure of that. I recorded another one today, and have been seeing them everyday, in diminishing amounts, since the 25th.

I don't believe there is any reason to worry at the moment, but you better believe I am very intent upon identifying them.

HT's at Toba would be the biggest story ever. Lord help us if that beast decides to go. It is the biggest supervolcano in the world.

So that's it. Not sure. And I STRESS: NOT SURE. Working on it. Patience.

ETA: Update: So far, these DO NOT appear to be HT's.... So breathe a sigh of relief. For now.
edit on Fri Oct 29th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this up, I had to go out and stare at Mt. Rainier after reading it.
Second verse same as the first.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

In addition to the plate movement, our POTUS will be there, "Indonesia", Nov 9th&10th, hope things calm down before then, or that visit could turn into a nightmare....

On a side note, i'm feeling it too....

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Of note here in this article....

This snippet from Article below:

"He estimated the volcanic materials sent out this time would be as much as in 2006.
The mountain's activity according to BPPTK was rising on Friday from Thurday.
Until 6pm on Friday a total of 285 avalanches, 181 multi-phase and 58 volcanic
tremors and seven flows of hot clouds were recorded.
On Thursday there were only 222 volcanic materials avalanches, 123 multi-phase, 34 volcanic and tectonic tremors and three flows of hot clouds".

www.tradingmarkets.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

Funny you should say that. First thing I thought of after the OP was about our string of volcanos. Ofcourse, this is because we live next to them...but also because I had just looked at this:

MAP 1.8 2010/10/29 19:13:25 46.248 -122.056 12.0 11 km ( 7 mi) ENE of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.0 2010/10/29 08:52:52 46.249 -122.061 11.1 11 km ( 7 mi) ENE of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.0 2010/10/29 08:46:47 46.252 -122.056 11.6 11 km ( 7 mi) ENE of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
MAP 1.9 2010/10/29 08:26:50 46.254 -122.049 12.3 12 km ( 7 mi) ENE of Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA

USGS

Not this it's anything unusuall...but a gentle reminder that we are surrounded by sleeping giants and are at their mercy.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
After the last episode in 2004, the Sumatra-Andaman earthquake and subsequent tsunami, the geologists said that the stress on this fault line had not all dissipated and that the other part of the fault may go, but I can't find the reference for that now. This is the relationship between the current quakes and the 2004, 2005 and May 2010 large earthquakes.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Alysha - My Condolences on your mom

Freetree as always, just always be prepared for anything - always!

TA - I think the Whole Plate line/Subduction area along the Indonesian coast line is vibrating/grinding etc.

Is there any sound coming from this???

The sudden quietness since the main event is also of concern and also backs up my feelings of my OP - instead of a number of quakes relieving stress we get volcanoes relieving the stress??

Absolutely fascinating if you think about it.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Is there any sound coming from this???

qvs.4shared.com...

Sound files folder > Sumatra folder.

Off to the land of nod now as it is 03:40

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

thank you Annemarie -

ill google stuff on this and see what i can add later ,
Toba may have only majorly erupted 76,000 years ago but she may be more often then YS .

but with all of these major quakes going off and other volcanoes near by , toba could very well become active and deadly again

i for one am worried .

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

I feel it too. Compelled to research more and more ... Im started to think I have OCD!!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I think you should overlay the map with another map showing how fast and which direction the continental plates are moving in relation to australia china india. The australian plate is moving in the same direction as the plate on which the indonesian islands are on but at a much faster rate so slipping of the faults is going to be quite common.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

Welcome to ATS - just so you know - berkeleygal as well as myself and a number of others, most of which have posted since your post, have been studying earthquakes/volcanoes for a long period of time. A number of us are sharpening our skills for the next swarm at Yellowstone - or now - Toba - or what ever area needs "special attention" - for learning and informing purposes. We work very hard at what we do here! Most of us here when you start to learn the fragile earth group - study very hard to give our best - as TA puts it - Junk Science - ! Most of us do not rely on the "News" for our information - We are not Fear Mongering - We are here to discuss issues of concern and pick it apart to see if we can confirm or discredit issues. - We are looking directly at the instrumentation that gives us our information - - As a matter of fact - you will read it hear on ATS most times first before anywhere else - because we stay one top of it, keep Them in check and always want answers by any means we can get them. This Fragile Earth is just that - we need to pay attention - AND We here are here to defy ignorance and Teach who ever we can .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join